Hidden in Plain Sight

imageWhen I was a kid, part of the normal weekly experience was watching variety shows like the Jackie Gleason Show. There were a lot of variations of that show, but the one I recall ended with Gleason coming on stage alone with a cup of coffee in hand. Then again, I might be confused, maybe that was Dean Martin who had his own show and his own reputation for drinking. In any case, the host doesn’t matter (but if you know, please comment) it was the action that has my attention. Most people assumed that there was liquor in that cup. Some argue that it was really coffee or tea and that it was just a signature element – today we would call that “branding” and the alcoholic inference would be part of their personal brands – those were different times. I always liked that part of the show, whichever one it was, because an adult was doing something bad – right in front of us. Alcohol, hidden in plain sight turned out to be a periodic recurring theme in my life.

I think the concealment mechanism that has always made the least sense to me was the “sack.” The notion that students in a college town or on a college campus weren’t allowed to consume alcohol but would be ignored drinking from a brown bottle in a brown paper bag seemed strange. Was that a 4th amendment thing (we can’t search the bag) or perhaps just a boy-will-be-boys thing (not that girls didn’t drink from bottles in sacks)? Maybe it was just a law enforcement thing:

If you are obviously breaking the law, you don’t give me any choice, but if I don’t know what’s in the sack – wink wink – then we’re ok”

Once while visiting a friend in North Carolina, I had the best experience with law enforcement ever. Several of us were enjoying some Frisbee and a picnic lunch in a local park when a Sherriff walked over to us. We were all drinking beer, but he looked down at me. Picture the stereotypical big southern sheriff – uniform, weapon, hat and sunglasses – looking almost like Jackie Gleason in another famous role (Buford T. Justice). So picture that and imagine a soft southern accent (and a shaky northern one):

Son, are you folks aware that this is a dry county?

I wasn’t…sir. Does that mean that we can’t drink here?

Nah son, that means y’all need to put those beers in a sack.”

I encountered a more literal officer several years later after moving to Connecticut. We wanted to spend the day at the beach on Long Island sound. A friend and I drove down to Hammonasset Beach State Park and unpacked a 6-pack cooler of beer. We cracked one open in the parking lot and very quickly became familiar with CT’s no-alcohol policy. A State Police officer instructed us to “pour out the contents” of the open beer. I could accept that, although one last sip would have been nice, but he added “and open and pour out the contents of the bottles in the cooler” – that seemed harsh. It wasn’t just drinking that was prohibited; it was possession of alcohol on State property. I’m sure he was just doing his job. We weren’t looking to be drunk on the beach so it didn’t ruin our day but I always wondered what would have happened if that beer had been in a bag. They don’t call them sacks up here.image

These memories from over 30 years ago came back to me this past weekend. Some friends of ours offered to take my daughter and I with them to Foxboro to watch the Patriots play the Steelers. Note that nothing will be said here about the outcome of that game. After enjoying a very nice time tailgating, it was time to hike over to Gillette Stadium. Before putting the cooler away, our host asked us if anyone wanted a beer for the walk. He added:

if you want to carry a beer, pour it into a cup. If you carry the bottle you will have to throw it away pretty soon. If you have it in a cup, you can walk up as far as the entrance.

This entry was posted in Family, Humor, Nostalgia and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Hidden in Plain Sight

1. Dan Antion says:

Those are our beers, ready for the walk. We made it as far as the back of the entrance line. Below is a scene from a great tailgating experience. Our hosts were gracious and kind to us when the Steelers defense left early in the 4th quarter to beat the traffic.

2. rwzagami says:

It was Jackie Gleason with the coffee cup and Dean Martin with the drink and a cigarette. Frank Sinatra would also come on stage with a drink in his hand when he was sponsored by Crown Royal. However, despite the sponsorship, the drink in the glass was Jack Daniel’s whiskey. In fact, Frank Sinatra became the very first Tennessee Squire, a select group of Jack Daniel’s devotees sponsored by the distillery. You can only be a Squire by being nominated by another member of the fraternity. I’ve been a Squire for over thirty years. Jack Daniel’s just came out with a new whiskey called “Sinatra Select” in honor of our first Squire. Probably more than you need to know, but good conversation filler during the day if things get slow at the office.

Thanks for the confirmation Bob – I love learning stuff like that, and I’m not surprised that you are a Tennessee Squire. It isn’t everybody who is in select company with Frank. My wife (who always checks these posts for grammar and spelling) told me that it was Jackie Gleason. I was going to change the post, but then we got into a conversation about the June Taylor Dancers and it got to be too late :)

3. John Hric says:

Dan, If I may quote from the game ( do I have to crawl into a paper sack ? ) dem is da rules, dey don’t make much sense, nor do they have too…. funny what allows people to look the other way or to bend the rules. In the case of the cups, it is not so much the contents as the container. At a public event the container ( plus the lubricated consumer of the contents ) presents the risk. Go figure. Kinda like the contrast in rules for concealed carry. For projectile items there are supportive laws in place. For items with a keen plane concealed carry and even public carry will get you unfavorable attention. Let me reiterate dem is da rules, dey don’t make much sense, nor do they have too…. stepping out of the sack now. Still slightly perplexed and confused and working on righteous…. at least publicly righteous.

Thanks for the comment John. I’m good with rules being rules, I’m even good following the rules. No doubt, nothing was entering the stadium, but that’s because of the biggest rule ever – “you’re not drinking anything we didn’t overcharge you for on site.”

4. Dan Hennessy says:

It is funny about the brown paper sack — or bag . Does seem a bit silly to hide a drink with one , now that you point that out . We had sacks in CA when I was growing up , I think . Now we have bags . I’ve never realized that before .