Within the Shadows

I’ve been trying to do more with my photos lately. When I saw a post from someone that I follow that responded to this prompt, I thought I might join. I didn’t actually see the prompt yesterday, but I think I have a recent photo that works for it. At least I was thinking along the lines of this theme when I took the photo:

“For this week’s Photo Challenge, find the shadows. You can choose a literal interpretation and shoot an actual shadow, or you can play with the light and dark, and create a moody scene, or capture your subject in a rich and interesting way.”

That’s MiMi, one of our two Tuxedo cats. I’m not sure she’s happy with me, but at least I didn’t try using the flash.

MiMi

MiMi will either stretch out across the length of the cradle or she will curl up right at the edge.

Thanks to Loisa over at …on pets and prisoners… for introducing me to this challenge and for setting the precedent of using a cat photo.

Are you interested in learning more about the weekly photo challenge? Here’s the information from the challenge site:

Want to participate? Each Friday, we’ll provide a theme. Publish a new post with a photo interpreting the theme. Include the pingback to this week’s challenge to share your post with the community. Learn More

This entry was posted in Photography, Prompt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Within the Shadows

1. The image has a bit of a surreal feel to it. I like it!

Thanks, Dan. This is such a great shot–a black cat, in the shadows, giving you the evil eye. I love it. I was going to post a picture of the feral cats I feed that are named……Shadow, but decided against it. This photo is perfect! Cats work for just about every challenge. :)

3. Beautiful cat. Beautiful photo. Loved the shadows and light. Picture perfect!

4. Sammy D. says:

Great curvy flow and more than one excellent shadow in your photo. It would make a good book cover for a mystery writer or a ‘dark’ poet!

5. Because of my love for cats! I wish the writing challenges could be as cool as the photo challenges. It’s a nice way to meet new people and share photos/words on the same topic.
    Tuxedo would be a nice name for MiMi, too!

Thanks Evelyne. The only writing prompt I follow is the SoCS challenge because you aren’t supposed to edit your post. I think that’s a good exercise. Meeting the challenge won’t always be easy though.

Since these are both on Friday, I guess I’ll decide which works better for me. I’m also trying to avoid three written blogs each week. Two works for most readers, including my wife who proofreads/edits.

6. Really nice photo, Dan! Beautiful cat and I even like the background flowered wallpaper! Christine

7. gpcox says:

Mysterious kitty. Are you planning on watching the Kitten Bowl on 1 February? I hope I remember.

8. MiMi is totally precious. The photo is surreal at first, because it looks like a rug hung over a wire, with a cat fearfully balanced! Took a bit for my brain to meet my eyes :)

MiMi would probably like to balance on a rug on a wire. She is fearless. When we were renovating that room, she was up and down ladders, crawling along the beams and staging and always trying to get higher.

9. yprior1 says:

cool angle Dan!! and nice take on the wpc

10. This is beautiful, and I love the curves, in addition to the shadowing.

11. LadyPinkRose says:

What a shot, Dan!!! The lines and the curves plus the background make this photo wonderful!! I don’t know if I can show my cat towers because we are in desperate need of new ones. The ones we have are SO beat up. They are much Loved, that is a given. (((HUGS))) Amy

12. Nice photo! I should take a look at this challenge and see if I can come up with a photo from my files.

I like where you say that you’re not sure MiMi is happy with you. Can anyone be sure? I don’t know. I’ve never seen a happy adult cat. In fact, I don’t even know if they CAN be happy. Those guys are just about the most indifferent and cold-hearted of all domestic animals. I used to live with one, but that fella would give me a violent scratch if I delayed his food. It would be worse if I got home late from work and he had polished off his (abundant) portion that I left him every morning. Sometimes I would ask him if he thought we were friends. He would just look at me the way MiMi was looking at you when you took this photo. He would then walk away with such pride and arrogance, such detachment and apathy, that I would wonder if he recognized that he lived in my house. I think he thought I was the pet.

We do joke that our pets allow us to stay in their house in exchange for the food we provide. MiMi is actually a very happy cat. She was very sick when we got her; the vet didn’t expect her to survive. My wife took wonderful care of her and after about a year, MiMi started to act like a kitten. She’s 9 but she still acts like a kitten. She jumps and plays and gets into some of the weirdest positions we’ve ever seen a cat get into. Her sister (MuMu) sometimes looks at her and then looks at us as if to say “I don’t know what’s wrong with that girl.”

We also had a cat like your describe once. We adopted it from a friend. The cat loved my wife, but treated me like a servant.