Thursday Doors – Enfield Town Hall

Town Hall Doors

I took these pictures on a stormy Sunday. No people, but no entry to the building either.

Memorial Day is right around the corner here in the States so I thought I’d feature Enfield’s Town Hall because it sits adjacent to a war memorial.

Memorials like this are common in the US, almost every little town has some section set aside to commemorate those who have died in service to their country. In my town, we actually have a building called Memorial Hall that was built after the Civil War. Most of our memorials are on the lawn of that building. I haven’t featured the doors of Memorial Hall because they are usually closed, with the stark white shades drawn and they aren’t all that attractive like that.

Enfield is two towns to the north of where I live. Depending on your route, it’s either north of East Windsor or northeast of Suffield. It’s on the other side of the Connecticut River from us but it’s only about a 10-15 minute drive. That’s New England, a bunch of small towns knitted together. Connecticut is the third smallest state, but we have 169 towns. Enfield is the 21st largest town by population, with 44,895 according to the 2008 census.

The pictures are described in detail, so I won’t repeat that here. If you’re interested, you can click on any one of them to start a slide show. This post is part of Norm Frampton’s Thursday Doors series. If you find doors as interesting as we do, snap a pic and join the fun.

This entry was posted in New England Life, Prompt, Thursday Doors and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Thursday Doors – Enfield Town Hall

1. Great pictures and post. By the way, out of curiosity I was reading on New England and finally my browsing landed me on page that said that Connecticut was the richest city once and now its among the low performing economies. It had lot of numbers mentioned which sort of confused me. Probably, you can highlight something about that in simple ways to someone like me who knows limited about it.

Thanks for dropping by Sharukh. Connecticut has often had the “highest per-capita income” of the 50 states, partially due to the number of people who workm in New York City but live along the southern CT coast. We also have several of the most poverty-stricken cities in America. These are cities that used to be proud homes to various manufacturing industries which have moved their operations to cheaper parts of this country or to other countries. It’s a very complex tiny little state.

2. About time I visit this New England everyone enjoys. Speaks to my heart. Thank you for sharing, Dan. Beautiful.

Great post. Town Halls and Town Squares (Commons) are things that New Englanders do so well. It seems like every little town and village in the north east has a central hall and an outdoor meeting place that is just fits in so perfectly with its surroundings.

Thanks Norm, You’re right about New England, and Enfield has worked hard to recapture and now maintain that historic spirit. There are several nice halls/greens around us (which I am sure I will get to). I am really enjoying this series.

4. Love the beautiful doors but also the fact that we get to enjoy all these beautiful little towns and their wonderful monuments, town greens, and community spirit.

5. Dan Antion says:

Thanks Judy – that is a benefit to being in New England.

I feel like I’m back at college, Dan. You can’t go wrong with classic doors such as these. And I’ve always liked the touch of class that columns add. Good one!

Thanks Paul. I have some future posts from Central Connecticut State University that you will like as well. I’m trying to mix it up a bit, but it’s hard to escape the classics.

Great pics, Dan! Man, I’m so behind on blogs right now. :P

8. I loved the years I spent in Connecticut because of the sense of history. I also like the fact that town halls looked like town halls are supposed to look. Beautiful shots and thanks for the memories.

9. Great photos, Dan. I especially like the ones of the service memorials.

10. Leyla says:

Great pictures :)

I was through Enfield with the former mister several years ago…on a motorcycle trip. Had breakfast there, but I don’t remember that building. Perhaps because we didn’t stop to explore the city.

12. Sandi says:

I found it especially sobering to see that there was a memorial for the Global War on Terror–a reminder that, sadly, wars and violence are still with us, 100 years after “the war to end all wars.”

13. Sandi says:

So it seems. It is good to remember those who sacrificed so much for their country: I appreciate the reminder to do so.

14. Pingback: Thursday – A Little Personal | Fiction Favorites

15. Hello! Happy to find you – I am from CT too. I live in West Hartford now though grew up in South Windsor, so spent a good amount of time at the Enfield Mall :-) is it even there anymore?? Nice post!!