Krispy Kreme

socs-badgeOK, the “K” and the “E” aren’t together. I hope Linda doesn’t smack me with the virtual SoCS yardstick. I know, “stick” was last week’s prompt.

“Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “ke.” Use the letter combination at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end of the word you choose to base your post on. Heck, make up your own word if you’d like! Enjoy!”

Donuts

No, theses aren’t Krispy Kreme donuts. The closest Krispy Kreme shop is 42 miles away, tucked inside a casino.

Well not a lot of words start with “ke” as far as I know. I’m sure there are tons. I’m sure that there are tons more that end in “ke” but I’d have to look them up. Looking them up is inconsistent with the idea of stream of consciousness. Krispy Kreme starts with “K” and ends with “E” (I’m sure you caught onto that) so I figured it would work. I like (ooh, like ends with “ke”) Krispy Kreme, the donuts and the words. I like the words because the donuts are a kind of crispy cream. I like words, phrases, titles, etc. that make sense (make also ends in “ke”).

I have always considered “fireplace” to be one of the most perfect words. Think about it. A place for fire. It’s so simple. Words like fireplace, riverboat, light switch, paper towel and bottle opener just seem to flow from the page or speech right into my brain. Other words and phrases are a bit curious, they cause me to stumble on the trip from page to brain. Smart phone has never seemed to me to be a good phrase to describe the device it is associated with. The phones aren’t smart, they’re capable.

I also don’t like the misuse or misapplication of words and phrases to aid in marketing (hey, there’s a ‘ke’ in there) and sales. “Not in my wheelhouse” is one that is making me shake (ooh, there’s another) my head.

Do you have a wheelhouse?

Have you ever been in a wheelhouse?

Would you have the slightest idea of what to do if you were to be placed in a wheelhouse?

No, of course not.

My daughter has an entire list of expressions like this. She’s in marketing but she hates those expressions. Just say what you mean, you don’t have to use a currently-clever phrase that is bound to sound trite and stupid at some point – maybe the exact point when you use it..

Kale

I tried one of these. Very light. I don’t think I’ll be chowing down on a big bowl of them during a football game, but they’re OK.

Well, I wanted to keep (ooh another) this short. I’ve been posting a bit more frequently since I joined the Thursday Doors group and I want to give my readers a break. I’ll wrap up with another word that starts with “K” and ends with “E” but isn’t as good as Krispy Kreme – Kale. My wife likes kale. She recently bought some kale chips. I saw them on the counter. I didn’t open them. I don’t think they are something that I’d like, but she’s a keeper – ooh that’s a good one!

This entry was posted in Prompt, SoCS and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Krispy Kreme

1. For a few years when we lived in the Kansas City area, there was a Krispy Kreme donut shop every couple of miles. Heaven for those who love those wicked, warm glazed donuts. LOL While having lunch with a friend this week and discussing the aging process, I got off on a tangent wondering who created the phrase “Golden Years.” After googling, I learned it was coined in 1959 as nothing more than an advertising slogan for Sun City in Arizona. :-)

That’s interesting. I like knowing where words and phrases come from, but that’s a little depressing. I don’t think I want to go where “people my age” are going. I think I’ll hang here in New England. Thanks for the comment Judy and I hope you have a great weekend.

2. In Mumbai, there is a local cake shop, in fact they have many branches, by the name Monginis. They also serve donuts and anything related to birthday and celebrations, like candles, cookies, chips, birthday caps, balloons, and the list goes on. I was their regular customer from 2000 to 2010, but now that they’ve grown into this big brand with multiple locations, they’ve lost their quality (at least I feel that), there are many who still prefer it. Here, when a brand grows, the price grows, but the quality goes the opposite direction. I still have to try Dunkin Donuts’ donuts.

We just got donuts today from Dunkin. The quality is still pretty good. I like the cream filled variety (vanilla cream is my fav). Not the healthiest way to start a day, but…

Krispy Kreme….one of the basic food groups here in the South. Dunkin’ Donuts tried and failed in my town. KK rules!!! **Hot donuts now**

4. Good golly Miss Molly! How dare anyone complain about Krispy Kreme! And even a picture… Thank God i have no idea where one of the shops is… else i’d be burning rubber right now… tempting fate with my egg allergy.. What percentage of one doughnut might i get away with eating without being dreadfully sick? All the approach avoidance conflict… If i don’t stop drooling soon i’ll be dehydrated. Hugs! :D

5. Well done Dan. Yes, you are off the hook with Krispy Kreme.

I never found the excitement over Krispy Kreme donuts. When I had my first one, I remember thinking, “This is it?” Someone told me to put one in the microwave and get it warm and, still, nothing happened. It must be my taste buds.

On the other hand, the neighbor came over the kale chips one evening and I tried one. As much as I like to eat healthy, I will not be buying them. The Krispy Kreme donut tastes better.

7. Sammy D. says:

Kenetic 😀. Or is it Kinetic? Ask your Keeper.

Should I be worried that you know the nearest KK is in the casino?

Dog walker. Dog Catcher.

SOCS – KEeping mine short.

Reblogged this on Mary J Melange and commented:
    Here’s a fun little post from Dan over at “No Facilities.” Check out all of his posts…the dude is smart and funny and loves doors.

9. I feel an keen urge to bake a cake or something. Best put the kettle on to have a cuppa too. That is the key to a good afternoon in the wake of a busy day. (Except, actually, it’s, like, 1.30am now. I don’t know why I’m still awake.)

Krispy Kreme never really took off here. There’s only 20 stores in the whole country and five of them are in airports (presumably for the American tourists).

10. We had a Krispy Kreme a few years back. It was fun watching those donuts come off the conveyor belt and tasting one while it was still hot. Krispy Kreme only lasted about a year – I don’t know why, I thought it was very popular. Maybe it was because we have so many other donut shops – Dunkin’ Donuts, Tim Horton’s, Paula’s (a local one with HUGE donuts). Plus, every local grocery store has a bakery and their own donuts.

We had one here about 15 years ago. One of my coworkers brought several dozen into work one day, but I guess it closed. We have a few good independent shops around but you have to get there early. Thanks for stopping by.

Ugh! How could you smack me with KALE after dangling delicious Krispy Kreme doughnuts in front of my face, Dan? Makes the fact that we used to have two KK stores within easy reach hurt that much more! O_o

Sorry Paul. I didn’t mean to bring back painful memories.

• Paul says:

Hope you know I was kidding! Fortunately, I still can get KK doughnuts — it’s just less often (which is probably better for my waistline). They’re available at nearby supermarkets, for example. Not quite as tasty as the fresh ones you get in a KK shop, where you also have the fun of watching them being made, but still.

12. Dan Hennessy says:

If you don’t have a wheelhouse you should consider getting one . And if you have one, KEep it .

And doughnuts are pretty much just little round caKEs with holes in them, right? Ha, I’m just teasing you, but speaking of words, “doughnut” vs “donut” is one of those words that needles me. Did the “ugh” get upset with the rest of the word and say, “Ugh, I’m outta here!”? But looking at that picture, I’d happily eat a donut or a doughnut right now! (Or let’s be honest… both. “Take two. They’re small — er — ish.”)

“Doughnut” is the correct word, as is “dunking” but Dunkin Donuts is my go to place for those little cakes (good use of KE there Wendy) so I’ve adopted their misspelling instead the one I would make trying to spell doughnut correctly.

14. I am not really into donuts, but I must say that every now and again, I get a hankering, and Dunkin Donuts is seriously, like around the corner, so I rarely eat a Krispy Kreme, even though I think they’re better.
    I hate “wheelhouse” and “brand.”
    Now, as for the kale, I’m a fan. One of my favorite soups is kale-full, and The Mister and I can kill a box of kale chips so quickly, it’s hard to pay the $7 they cost, lol! The spicy ones — DELISH!

Love your sense of humor – it’s great to come here — but – those kale chips have GOT to go!! You’ve got about 3 months till football season to get over them!! :roll:

16. Smart phone has never seemed to me to be a good phrase to describe the device it is associated with. The phones aren’t smart, they’re capable.
    ****
    I totally agree with your theory on Smartphones, but how else were they gonna sell so many of them if they didn’t convince us our lives would be meaningless without them? Hence the word ‘Smart’. Would you buy a ‘capable phone’? Perhaps not. Me neither!

Funny as always!
    Have a great weekend :)

17. Krispy Kremes, you are making me hungry. Kale chips do not hold a candle to Krispy Kremes.

18. A warm krispy kreme donut always hits the spot! Thankfully, I don’t have one in my neighborhood.

My brother likes kale too. It’s not for me.

You had me at Krispy…….;)

21. jetgirlcos says:

hmmm…I love a good apple fritter, but never could get into the Krispy Kreme thing. There was one here for a short time but it’s closed now. There’s a local donut shop that makes a to-die-for apple fritter. You’ve made me crave apple fritters. Arrgh. I wonder if kale fritters would be any good. Probably not. ;-)

Thanks for the comment (except for the idea of a kale fritter). Apple fritters are wonderful things. We have one shop that makes things like that. Now I might have to stop there tomorrow.

22. Good selection of ‘ke’ words there! Although Krispy Kremes don’t technically work, I MUCH prefer them to kale. I think I salivated a little when I saw the photo. ;-)

23. Aunt Beulah says:

And this post was a good one, Dan; it gave me a peek into your interesting mind, which was more intriguing than frightening!

I like the way you keep saying “ooh, like/make ends with ke”. It makes the post very enjoyable. I also don’t think “Smart phone” is a great phrase. Just marketing stuff.

Thanks Peter. I struggled with the “ke” thing and then I started noticing the words that had that combination. The SoCS prompt says “no editing” so I just wrote what the voices in my head were saying. Sometimes, that is a very liberating felling.

25. Ellen Hawley says:

The phrase I hate is “thinking outside the box.” The minute I hear it, I figure the person who said it is not only inside the box but has somehow managed to tape it shut. Which is no mean trick if she or he is inside.

So I suppose there is something there to admite.

Donuts, wheelhouse and wife is a keeper. Oh, kale chips made in an oven are tasty, Dan. Prefer donuts, especially “bad” ones with cream filling. This post was different for you. Almost like “Dan on caffeine.” Very, ADD. Especially smiled when you said, “Ohhh, like fits.”