Thursday Doors–Bleeker Street

Door

This is one of the doors to the condos in the building at 367 Bleeker St. I love the panels.

When Faith and I exited the Highline in New York City a few weeks ago, we continued south along the Hudson for a while. We kept snapping photos and walking until our feet started to hurt and we were hungry. The problem was that by that time, we were pretty far south but not south enough to notice any landmarks. So, we headed east. We figured that, at some point, we would figure it out.

While trying to avoid some sidewalks that were closed for construction, we stumbled onto Bleeker St. I remembered two things about Bleeker St. One, it was featured in Bruce Springsteen’s song “Kitty’s Back” and two, it kinda-sorta connects with Eighth Avenue at some point. Bruce Springsteen and I both spent some time in nightclubs on Bleeker St in the 70s. It felt good to write that. To be honest, it’s not like we were pals. We didn’t spend time in those nightclubs together. I think he was there much earlier and much more often than I was and I think he probably had a better time.

In any case, we weren’t looking for nightclubs at 2:30 pm, we were hungry. So hungry that I think I heard Faith sigh when I said: “wait here, I’m going to go get a picture of that door.” It wasn’t much of a sigh, I wait for her to get pictures of this, that and the other thing all the time. Still, as we headed northeast, I was snapping door shots pretty fast. In fact, most of the photos in the gallery below had to be rotated to keep the doors from swinging open.

The featured doors are in the building at 367 Bleeker St. In case you’ve fallen in love with the idea of entering such a door at the end of your work day, it appears that one of the condos in the building is available. According to Zillow:

367 Bleecker St # 2,
New York, NY 10014
2 beds 2 baths 1,729 sqft

“This apartment is housed in 2 adjoining mid 18th century legendary West Village townhouses. Once the home of Pierre Duex and the shop’s owners Pierre Moulin and Pierre LeVec. Appreciatively, the Pierre’s left their trademark style as they decorated each of these apartments. The apartment entry foyer is lined with Louis XV boiserie pine paneling behind which is a wet bar and generous closet.…There is central air and a washer dryer. This is a pet friendly condominium.”

Maddie will be glad to hear that she’s welcome and the place has AC.

However: The last time it sold was on 10/17/2012 and it sold for: $2,920,000. Yes, there are two commas in that number. Zilliow’s Zestimate® this time is $3,887,660.

OK, then, let’s take a look at some of your soon-to-be neighbors’ doors.

What I really like about these old neighborhoods are the ways in which people and businesses worked to distinguish their portion of a seemingly monolithic block of buildings.

This post is part of Norm Frampton’s Thursday Doors series. I you love doors, like doors or just think you found an interesting door, snap a pic and join the fun.

This entry was posted in Photography, Thursday Doors, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to Thursday Doors–Bleeker Street

With gorgeous doors like that it’s not hard to justify a price tag of just under 4 mill. 😕
    Don’t forget to add the link-up to my July 30 post.

2. “I think he probably had a better time.” – perhaps, but your post made me smile, especially the part about the doors swinging open. Lovely photo essay. Not so lovely real estate prices tho. EEK!

Gorgeous though. Four mil, huh? Wow, I love my house, lol!

4. The greenery at the top of the door is beautiful as well – like a frame. And, the red door is interesting with its painted numbers. Nice neighborhood. :-)

Thanks Judy. I couldn’t decide between the one with the greenery and the one without but I do like this one the best. Nice neighborhood, but a bit out of my price range. Well, a bit bit.

Growing up in NJ, it was always the cool thing to say you were going to ‘the Village.’ And this was one of the coolest streets. Amazing that the prices back then were unaffordable to a poor working girl. Now, there is no point in even looking, but oh! the character. Great doors, Dan.

Thanks Lois. I lived in Queens in 1977-78 and we went there a few times. I had friends who had an apartment, but it took four of them to afford a tiny one bedroom space (I don’t know how they handled the arrangements).

6. Loved Beeker Street in my day. Thanks for bringing it back and I’m glad it hasn’t changed much.

7. Don says:

Hell, Dan, you’ve hobnobbed with the greats hey. Bruce Springsteen, one of my favourites. Marvellous images.

8. Ruth says:

Lovely doors, with not-so-lovely prices :-)

I guess I won’t be living on Bleeker Street any time soon. Wow, I knew living in New York wasn’t cheap, but…

Nice doors, Dan. I love your photos – you always seem to find the very unique ones.

10. Sammy D. says:

Great post! I’m impressed you ‘hung’ with Bruce. LOL

The old parts of East Coast cities are just the best – narrow streets, eclectic buildings with attitude, stoops and artistic doors. This was a fun walk to take with you & Faith.

Thanks Sammy. For all I know, he was in one of those clubs. We just weren’t on a first name basis. I collected a bunch of doors on that walk. I think I might be hooked on this Thursday Doors thing. You’re right about those parts of these cities. They were just built, I don’t think anyone gave too much thought to what it would be like in 150 years.

• Sammy D. says:

I’m glad you are hooked. What I like is not just the interesting doors you find (including your own office doors) but the stories you tell with them – some researched; some freeform. They are rich posts, and I look forward to Thursdays knowing I’ll be hanging with Dan and his doors. (For all we know Bruce might be hanging here on Thursdays too!!)

11. Val Boyko says:

(SMILE) Isn’t it nice to imagine though ?…

One has to wonder whether Bleeker Street became the model for urban revitalization all over the country.

13. Incredible architectural elements (and not just the doors)!! That said the doors are incredible!! Great shots!!

14. Gorgeous doors on Bleeker Street! Of course I could only notice the reference to the club and Bruce Springsteen, the man who made me fall in love with the USA before moving there for good.
    Great series, Dan! And no, as much as I love doors, I won’t particpate. No. No. No.

Thanks Evelyne. No pressure, just a standing invitation from Norm :)

Springsteen had that affect on a lot of people. If I knew he was in a club, I would have tried to catch a glimpse.

Today’s featured doors really are lovely, Dan. The entire doorway, in fact. But I don’t think that anyone can justify that outrageous price to me. People are insane. And the ones who have that kind of money and would spend it on that? *waves hand* Crazy. O_o

I’m so glad that you included a few photos of the apothecary jars! I’ve always had a soft spot for those, and over the years have even dug a few of them out of my creek!

Doors and jars — the Thursday fun continues! Some nice-looking samples this week, I must say. Faith should know that her suffering is well worth it. The apothecary jars make me think of the old-fashioned cobalt bottles that have been dug up over the years on my property. That retro look is very appealing. Another winning entry!

17. I like those black panel doors with the Transom, and all the gold fixtures on them.

I thought real estate was pricey here!

18. Cool… an entire street full of great doors. I liked the bonus pictures of the windows too.
    (Oddly enough, I had a Springsteen song in my head this morning. You must have started publicizing your blog psychically. ;) ) Another fun post, Dan. Hugs!

19. Corina says:

Nice door! The building ain’t bad either! I love all the shots in this one!

Love the doors and the “narration”. Thanks for taking us along on this trip. :)

21. Brilliant selection, Dan. I’m sure you and the ‘Boss’ rubbed shoulders at some point in one of the Bleeker Street nightclubs, unbeknownst to yourself, ;)

Between the swinging doors, and the comment “he probably had a better time then I did”, and Faith’s sigh, and then the eye opener two commas price, and everything in between, …. oh and the hurting feet and grumbling stomachs …. well, Dan, I smiled again. I so enjoy coming here. You as well work hard for these shots and I truly enjoy your special way of writing. Great post, my friend. Love, Amy <3

Aw, thank you Amy. I always appreciate when you and Faith and others (who are such good photographers) compliment my photos. The hard part for me is finding time to write down my thoughts when I see a photo and think about the story. You must go through that because your words and photos are so tightly coupled.

• AmyRose🌹 says:

Dan, actually, I shall tell you a Secret. This is how it works for me. I see a photo … either words I had written previously pop out at me, or I begin to “hear” words for this image. OR, I “hear” words which I write down, and when I “see” one of my images, I am drawn to those words because they match so perfectly. Sometimes I look through my Bridge library, looking for an image just to pop out at me. When it does, I just “know” that either words I had writen will go with this image, or words will come to match this image. I trust this process now. I no longer doubt like I used to.
        Let go a little bit, Dan. Just start to FLOW and let what YOU have captured in a photo “talk” to you. A story will appear effortlessly. It will take some getting used to, but this will happen, IF you set aside your agenda about what must be written. Sometimes you just KNOW the words and out they flow. That too, Dan, so don’t dismiss that. I LOVE the way you write and I think you could have an easier time of it, if you trust your own talent. (smile) I do!!! <3 <3 <3

Thanks Amy. I have been letting things flow a little more lately and, if it changes the plans, then so be it.

• AmyRose🌹 says:

YES!!! I’ve noticed, and believe me, Dan, your posts have been light hearted and FUN!!!! I think it is fantastic because usually for a man to let go it is a lot harder to do then for a woman. Usually. Keep up the fantastic work. I really, and I mean really, have been enjoying your work every time I have been on over your way. What JOY it is to create!!! YES!!!!

23. jan says:

What a lovely neighborhood but I don’t think I’ll be moving in anytime soon! My son is in Brooklyn, but alas, I can barely manage to visit him!

24. Very lovely street and your photos are great; the doors and pharmacy. I think the neighborhood is a bit pricey for me right now however ;) You do have a good eye sir.

I really liked the contrast in the dark doors with cool circular markings. I like you can see the wood’s grain through the dark “wash,” Dan. They look as if they hold a secret in each (circle) or a special place to buzz or ring. The lighter, brighter sandy-colored brick was really beautiful emphasizing the green ivy, too. I had a great room this color of the bricks and some called it “tan foundation color” or “stucco.” I always like a red door as shown in the pricey neighborhood.

26. Dan Hen says:

Okay , I couldn’t even afford the doors , I think , as nice as they are .

27. Expensive!
    The red door caught my eye. I want to paint our garage door red, but my husband thinks I’m a bit nutty for wanting a red door:-) If I do, I’ll definitely join the Thursday Doors series. Have a great weekend with your family, Dan.

28. Beautiful door in a beautiful neighborhood.

29. Great post Dan. I love the pictures that you put up. I don’t know much about Bruce Springsteen except that I love one song called ‘Dancing in the Dark’ I love the way he says – You can’t start a fire without a spark. In Mumbai, you will find buldings that are connected with each other, but they still have personalized looks.

Thanks Sharukh. That is a good Springsteen song. I guess cities are the same, the land is too valuable to leave space around buildings.

• Yeah. I love classic songs. They have a repeat value that modern songs lack. I love Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, Eagles and Bryan Adams.

I’m surprised to see Eric Clapton and the Eagles in that list. I would think they were before your time. Then again, they do have staying power.

• Yes, they’re before my time but I used to work at a pub during my college days as an ordertaker and there they used to play classics and I fell in love with some musicians before my time. I used to listen to Pink Floyd, Abba, Bangles. The list just goes on and on. I later started listening to songs by Collin Raye. My favorite song is Neon Moon by Brookes and Dunn.

Wow – I haven’t hear Brookes and Dunn for a long time. I used to listen to a country station on the way to work, but they changed formats years ago.

• I can sing tons of songs without reading lyrics including Neon Moon. I don’t know how, but I also have the ability to remember music, so I remember when the beats will change, or when the rock guitar will come in. Same thing applies for Indian music and songs.

I love that classic red door!