Sooner or Later Strange Things Happen

socs-badge-2015I’ve been on vacation this past week and a half. I was actually thinking about skipping my blog for today. I thought about it and decided to leave it up to Linda. If she had a particularly interesting prompt for SoCS, I’d let something flow onto the page. If not, I’d skip Saturday. Of course, we got:

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “strange/stranger/strangest.”  Use one, use ’em all, or just let them inspire you. Have fun!

I always enjoy the variations on a prompt, and this one was no different, but there was something strange about it. As I started considering the prompt, my first thoughts were of Jim Morrison singing “People are strange, when you’re a stranger.” Of course, my next thought was: “talk about strange, Jim Morrison was one strange dude…” Then, something even stranger happened. This all started to seem familiar.

Not the kind of familiar where you think of an old favorite song and remember people you were with when you heard it. Not the kind of familiar where you get the song stuck in your head the way Joey described in her evil little story. No, this was the kind of Yogi-Berra-deja-vu-all-over-again familiar.

Yeah.

I already wrote this story.

I wrote it in March 2014 and judging from the ‘Likes’ a few of you guys already read it. Thanks for being loyal followers. If you didn’t read it, don’t remember it, weren’t reading my blog in 2014 or just can’t wait to read about the encounter with Ish-Man, click on the link and hop on over.

I think the strangest part of this is that the currents and eddies rippling through my brain led me to the same thoughts on two occasions 19 months apart. Eerily familiar? Yes, that’s kinda sorta from Star Trek and I already wrote about that too.

I could fix this all up, add in a dash of fresh stuff and try to pass this off as new, but that would require editing and Linda would hurt me. Also, that sounds like work and I’m still on vacation. So, I’ll just wrap this up in record low word count time and send you on your way. I’ll peck something else out tomorrow. You know, as a way of getting back in the groove.

This entry was posted in Prompt, SoCS, Strange Stuff and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Sooner or Later Strange Things Happen

I like to watch all the strange people and try to believe they aren’t thinking the same thing about me! Enjoy your weekend!

You can write again about Star Trek…any time :-p

It might be fun to retell the story and see how it turns out. It might be a neat way to gauge your growth as a writer.

4. John Hric says:

I hope you enjoyed your vacation. and the remainder of it. liked the editing Linda would hurt me line. reminds me of the i would do that except i don’t want to wake up dead (by cast iron skillet) line. is it poetry that kill is embedded and immersed in skillet ? i think i will go look up the origins of the word… via the star trek portal…. maybe i will even see eddie ( and the rest of the munsters) on the way. if there is enough time that is…

I think it’s time for you to join the SoCS fun John. I have to be careful, my wife has many such skillets.

• John Hric says:

we have several skillets. so i needs be careful. today was a gardening day. moving plants from the seedling beds to the secondary review bed. only eight more plants to go. give or take several. and then there is this bed that she who must be obeyed said is okay to plant more daylilies. i should be done moving stuff by next spring…. it will make me appreciate winter. if i go in for SocS it might need to be modified to Mostly SocS. With a dose of flippant and un-. it is trick or treat night i might have startled a trick or treater or two as I wandered up the drive towards the house in the semi dark. it is dark out… time to come in !

5. I’ve been republishing quite a few of my early posts because so many of my readers are fairly new. Any besides, I think I was a better writer when I first started out – these days, I have trouble coming up with ideas, much less writing about them.

6. LOL… Funny how things come back to us like that isn’t it. At least it didn’t happen on Groundhog Day! Well done, Dan. Happy Halloween hugs!

7. I really enjoyed the stream here. You are right. Linda would hurt you.

“People Are Strange” is my favourite Doors song! Annnnd now that tune will be stuck in my head all day long while I try to write a last minute post about the Bride of Frankenstein for tonight. Now SHE was strange……..

Thanks for the shout out! The song People Are Strange frequents my head as well, because it’s much nicer than asking the age-old question of What the bleepity-bleep is wrong with people? And also, I think I may be strange, but in a good way.

I missed this post and the past ones, too. I love your going back and how the “deja vu” factor worked out, Dan! :) Heading back to the past. Which is more normal than “back to the future.” Lol

11. JoAnna says:

That Jim Morrison song is a fun one to sing. Especially today!

12. Ok I read one of the linked stories about strangers. That would be a good post about how it was traveling and who made you feel welcome. :)

13. prior2001 says:

enjoy your vacation Dan!

Funny story about Jim Morrison. A couple years ago, I went to an estate sale ( a step up from garage sales, you know) at the house downtown where Jim Morrison was supposedly (key word) conceived. Talk about strange. The house was a dump; the asking price was ridiculous. People are strange, all right. Loved the story about ish-man. What a hoot!

I’m guessing that couldn’t have been a big selling point. Still, it was probably worth going to check it out. I still think of ish-man when people do the ish thing. Thanks!

15. LindaGHill says:

Oooh, I’m intrigued! Glad I was able to pry niggle you off your vacation with my prompt. I wouldn’t hurt you, by the way. I may come back to haunt you however, if I die first, so hands off the editing! Haha. ;)

16. Deborah says:

I’m always impressed by your groove and how you manage to maneuver it in spite of vacations, life, and other interruptions. I may have to take you on as my writing role model. :-)

Oh my. I’m honored, but I should offer a word of caution. In order to stay in the groove, you have to be willing to follow those random thoughts. Actually, during the past two weeks, I had a real schedule for posts and I had working drafts of some of them. I also ignored that schedule when something better came along. Proceed with caution Deborah but thanks for the comment.

It’s Doors Monday in my office today, Dan, and I have you to thank for it! I’ve been a big fan of them for years, but it’s been a while since I deliberately played an album or two … and WHY? No reason.

“People are Strange” is one of many great Doors tracks. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be “Light My Fire” — I can just get LOST in that song. But there are others, such as “Hello I Love You”, “Love Me Two Times”, and yes, “Break on Through.” There’s hardly one I DON’T like. I love that moment in “Touch Me” when it’s just the strings, which has such a sweet sound, but then I’m grooving along to “Roadhouse Blues” before getting transported by “Riders on the Storm”.

I could go on, but I won’t. Hey, if you could curtail your usual word count, I can too. So this is “The End”.