Thursday Doors–ISU Horse Barn

Today's Doors

Today’s Doors

When I was visiting my brother in Iowa last month, I told him that I needed to find a door or a few doors to photograph. He understood. Of course, I think that he may have felt that that requirement had been met after we had breakfast in Colo at Niland’s Café. I did feature those doors, but I was still looking for an interesting door.

A few days later, as we were heading back to his house, after picking up my mom at her apartment, I spied the door(s) I wanted to feature. I think my mother might have thought further confirmed her belief knowledge that I am a nut case, when I asked my brother to pull into the parking lot next to the horse barn at Iowa State University (ISU). For those that don’t know, my brother lives in Ames, Iowa, the home of Iowa State.

I would have imagined that ISU would have lots of photo-worthy doors, most universities do, but I wouldn’t have thought that they would have had a rather remarkable horse barn. Iowa, as far as I knew, is all about corn, soy beans and pigs.

I didn’t have my camera with me when I noticed the horse barn, but I had my phone. We talked about the possibility of coming back later, but I was only there for a few days and I decided that the adage: “the best camera is the one you have” needed to be in full force on this door-shoot.

Apparently, ISU has been serious about horses for a long time. The two long barns on the sides were built in 1923. In 1926, they added the section that bridges the two sides and forms a large U-shaped barn. The program has a lot of horses and each year they add more (horses have baby horses). This is actually a pretty cool part of their program. Junior and senior horse majors (I don’t think that’s the actual name) get to take care of an expectant mom horse and her baby. Check this out to see one of the newborns – soooo cute.
I don’t have pictures of the Equine Center, but that is where they hold horse shows and exhibitions. You can read more about that in the ISU Equine News.

I also want to point out one set of doors. A few weeks ago, Norm, the founder of the feast here at Thursday Doors, featured what he dubbed a trifecta. Of course, I took that as a challenge. In addition to doors, I needed to find a doorfecta. It’s in the gallery. Three levels, three doors.

This post is part of Norm Frampton’s fun Thursday Doors series. You can follow the doors on his page each week. You can add your own door too, and you don’t have to add it on Thursday. Norm will let you slide one in as late as Saturday morning. You can see all of this week’s doors here, but make sure you stop at Norm’s.

This entry was posted in Family, Prompt, Thursday Doors and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to Thursday Doors–ISU Horse Barn

Horses – barns – ranches – I love it all!!

2. It’s hard to match the door leader, Norm, but you may have accomplished it here, and I never saw a barn door I didn’t love and this is no exception. :-)

You nailed that Trifecta Dan – well done.

4. Great shots….great barns and doors!!! I’m from Cedar Rapids and whenever I get back there I try to get barns into schedule….love photo shooting them…..great job!!

5. I LOVE horses and barns! Great shots, especially the doorfecta! Have you been out to the UConn campus? They also have a horse program and quite a few barns. If you go out be sure to visit the UConn Dairy Bar for ice cream made right on campus :-)

Ah, now barn doors are more of what I’m used to seeing, rather than fancy city doors. Lots of farming in this area, including a large horse farm just up the road from me. And I really like the dormers on the u-shaped barn. Fancies up the building nicely!

I can definitely appreciate this week’s doors, Dan, coming from the horse-centric state of Maryland. It’s all very pastoral and nice, and I like how you (as always) get a little backstory for us. Typically well-photographed, too, and who wouldn’t want to pet the horses?

But, for some reason, my favorite part is off-screen: you telling your brother you need to photograph some doors and hearing, “He understood.” This probably doesn’t apply at all, but I couldn’t help but picture a slightly puzzled look, or maybe even an eye roll. Now, Mr. Dan’s Brother may well be the most sympathetic sibling on the planet, but I find that brothers and sisters generally aren’t wild about indulging our hobbies. They at least feel duty-bound to give us a mildly hard time. I can almost see him pointing to his front door and being like, “Snap away.”

Of course, that may be because it’s the kind of smart-alecky thing I’d do!

Thanks for the comment Paul. My brother can handle the smart-alecky thing, but he’s generally pretty accommodating. If I had asked, he would have driven me half way across the state to get the perfect door. In fact, after we got to Colo the day before, I asked if were were going back the same way (because I had seen an interesting building). He wasn’t planing on that route, but he simply said “we can” and that was that. Now, my mother, on the other hand…:)

Nice! Who doesn’t love a big, red barn? :D
    I love the shape of it, and those dormers add a nice touch. I’d say they did a really good job matching the new to the old.

9. dimlamp says:

Lovely old barn. :-)

I can imagine the conversations back in the 1920’s.

“Did you see the barn they built at Iowa State?”
    “Naw.”
    “It’s made of brick.”
    “Brick?”
    “Yeah, brick.”
    “With tax money?”

Let me tell you, nothing changes.

11. What a lovely building. The back looks as good as the front.

12. jan says:

The tea house where I paint has barn door on all sides – thus I get plenty of ventilation. I love it! Lovely that you ran into the baby horses!

That tea house sounds like a great place to work. I have a barn door on one side of my shop. I miss having the wall space, but I like the option to open it up. Thanks for the comment.

Not only did you meet the interest of your readers, Dan, but you gave us the extra bonus of horses and information shared with us. Perfect post for a visitor to Iowa and appealed to this “midwest” girl. :)

Thank Robin. I love learning about these buildings and this is the perfect forum to share it. I’m trying to learn to balance the degree of detail I share. I had to include the horses, they were so cute.

• reocochran says:

There’s something about horse’s eyes that captivates me. I think movies and books help us to feel they “know” or sense what our thoughts are, Dan. The white mark on for head like a star and white hooves give individual characteristics which add to their “cuteness.” :)

14. That is a really fancy barn, made of brick. Nice photos. :)

15. Lovely photos Dan. I had a barn like this only make of wood. Those two doors way up there are for entrance to the hay loft. Doors open and usually a pulley pulls the hay bales up and in. Nowadays the hay is usually stored in a separate barn to minimize spontaneous combustion

16. Great doors and barns. I love both doors and barns, and the two together are a killer combo! Hugs, N :) <3

I absolutely love photos of barns and their doors. This was surprisingly unexpected and I really like your post, Dan.

18. That’s a good looking barn, Dan. And you can probably guess from my gravatar that I love horses, so all good.

19. leannenz says:

Beautiful Barn. To me this look is quintessental America. Our barns don’t look like this at home in NZ. Is this style common in any other countries?

Thanks you. this is they style of barns, in the sense of horse on bottom, loft above and this general shape. Gambrel roofs are common in barns because they give you more loft space and, if there are stalls, you are going to have the support structure on the first floor anyway. Brick barns are not common. As I mentioned above, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one before. I don’t know what is common in other countries.

20. A brick barn? Very cool!

Fondly,
    Elizabeth

21. prior2001 says:

Not sure but I think the horses having exercise is a double?
    Anyhow – what a nice place and from the reader the feature picture was so inviting and then I read “warning” – ha!

It’s actually two pictures where I tried to get a better view. Lighting was hard to deal with with my phone. My thought was to select the best one, but, I included both. Thakns for stopping by and leaving a comment.

• prior2001 says:

Oh I see – thanks for explaining – and the lighting is something i like throughout the post – some of the shadows and just adds to the feel. I also like the vine growing on the bricks and just a cool photo shoot

22. What marvelously unexpected doors! Wonderful choice, Dan. Have a wonder-filled weekend. Hugs!

23. A red brick barn! It’s gorgeous. That middle door in your Trifecta is a curiosity. What is it used for? I sure hope there’s a BIG sign on the door warning people not to step through it.

24. Love All the shots, and I don’t know which ones are with a ‘proper’ camera and which ones with a ‘provisional’ one. I love this door series Dan–I know I haven’t been by lately, but you know why that is. I’m just about beginning to emerge from exhaustion and hiatus.

25. Great post Dan – what a splendid barn and I love your trifecta/doorfecta! :)

26. klara says:

how nice. I can imagine how fun it is walking around and taking photos. that barn looks so nice. trifecta is great find. I haven’t seen anything like that.