Thursday Doors–Old Sturbridge Village

Fenno House - #36

I took about a dozen photos of this door. The lighting was great for viewing on a dark night, but difficult to work with. I like this one the best, as it features the door.

Here in central Connecticut, we are fortunate to have a wonderful way to escape into the past. Old Sturbridge Village (in Sturbridge, MA) offers us a tangible link to a rural New England town from the 1830s. This was a time when Americans must have felt very good about themselves. They were growing crops, raising animals, turning abundant raw material into material goods and trading with people from other parts of this country and other parts of the world. You can say what you want about their methods, but they were a resourceful people. More importantly, the very resourceful people at Old Sturbridge Village have worked to preserve this history for us, for over 70 years.

Last Friday, my daughter and I visited OSV to take part in their annual Christmas By Candlelight event. During this event, we were able to walk through the dark streets, aided only by lanterns placed at the side of the road. We saw and toured the various buildings that make up the village, and we got a glimpse of what life might have been like almost 200 years ago.

I have written about OSV before. We are members, but we don’t go there often. Well, we don’t go often enough. I say that because every time I visit, I enjoy myself and I discover something new.

The images in the gallery are keyed to the Village Map, in case you want to follow along. The images aren’t in order because we didn’t walk in order. We flitted from side to side like children – “ooh a door, ooh a door, ooh a fire, ooh another door.” Also, although I don’t usually do much editing, I did some this time. This event was crowded (that’s a good thing) and that meant that I had to snap a picture of a door when I could, ‘cuz they were open a lot and people were going in and out. I found that if I looked like I was trying to get a picture, some people would wait, but it didn’t seem fair to ask them to do that.

I hope you enjoy the doors of Old Sturbridge Village. I am certain that I will visit again and get pictures of doors when more of the Village is open and maybe the sun is out.

As always, this post is part of Norm Frampton’s fun series: Thursday Doors. Click over to see Norm’s door. Click the blue linky thing on his page to see all the other doors and to add your own. Any door will do, and you have until noon Saturday.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to Thursday Doors–Old Sturbridge Village

I like these old fashioned, long lasting evidences of our past. Dan. I also smiled as I pictured father-daughter talks and how this warms my heart. Happy days together, you and Faith. . .

Thanks Robin. Walking through at night gave me a feel for how simple and how difficult life must have been back then. So many things that we take for granted today either didn’t exist or required a lot of work to attain.

• reocochran says:

Deep thoughts and so true. We take a lot of our present life’s comforts for granted. It was a hard scrabble life, Dan. I picture dirt floors and trying to stay warm in really cold weather, feeling the wind through the cracks in the walls. Brr-r!

2. A lovely touch of history, Dan. You always add something interesting like that. I like the first one best — perfect choice. Hard work paid off — beautifully lit, and draws the eye. Hugs!

3. Dan, I really enjoyed these night photos. They’re different and beautiful. Seeing things at night gives a perspective that the daylight doesn’t. What fun that you could go with your daughter and spend time together as well, a double treat.

It was a treat Janet. My daughter wanted to do some shopping at the store because they have some items you really can’t find everywhere. She’s also a photographer and she wanted to get night photos of the buildings. She was determined to get a nice photo of the lanterns. I have a (blurry) photo of her taking a photo. She’s kneeling in the soft dirt at the side of the road. I hope hers came out well. Thanks for your comment.

Excellent, Dan. I like the doors by night and the village itself. Reminds me of Heritage Hill in Green Bay with the older buildings and history of the area. Might be a nice place to visit in the summer…when you having a craving for ice cream. :-)

5. Oh…love these!! I so enjoy older colonial architecture. That white house with the green door and all the windows is my fave! I love that you were there with your daughter “geeking out” over the doors :-) what a special time. I haven’t been to OSV in forever but would love to visit – my family just isn’t interested in places like that and it bums me out sometimes! Have you ever been to Deerfield? I really want to visit the historic village there – have never been. I might be able to convince my parents to go with me to see the Christmas decorations. ;-)

Thanks Deb. I haven’t been to Deerfield. We hadn’t been to OSV in a long time and then our daughter gifted us a membership which we’ve maintained. The highlight for me was (see the other post) hearing Norm Abrams talk about the effort to maintain the Village. I really enjoy learning more about how OSV operates and I am so impressed with what they are able to do to keep this place alive and relevant.

• I will have to check out your other post, Dan. It really is a labor of love to maintain these places but I’m so glad they do! On a separate note, technical question – could you see if you could replay to this comment? Joey has tried and sees she can’t reply to my reply. I’m trying to troubleshoot!

Excellent post Dan, and great night time shots. I love places that give you a hands-on look at how things used to be. This place reminds me of something similar we have about an hour and a half drive from here, Upper Canada Village, near Morrisburg Ontario.
    It’s a popular destination for grade school field trips but maybe it’s time for this grown-up to go back and take another look.

You hit the nail on the head Norm, it is time for adults to return to these places. I went to places like this on school field trips, but I never appreciated them like I do now.

The photos were challenging, but I do like the way these came out. Thanks for the comment.

7. Even a short visit back to rural New England is a good thing. :-)

Kinda freakin’ me out, Dan — Looks like the set of M. Night Shyamalan’s THE VILLAGE (it wasn’t). Sounds like you and Faith had a wonderful time, as you always do. Thanks for sharing!

9. Perfect for the holidays and beautiful as well. Thanks Dan

10. A couple of those houses look very modern – I guess some architectural styles are timeless.

As for ice cream – it’s never too cold for ice cream. When my husband and I were dating, we used to walk 1 mile or more in the dead of winter (near zero or below) just to get a hot fudge sundae at Howard Johnson’s, and then we’d walk home. Ah, young love.

I agree, some of the designs are timeless. Some of the houses were movedto OSV from other locations, but I think they are all from the same period. The Meeting House could be found in about half the towns in New England. Thanks for the comment.

11. dimlamp says:

Sounds like a lovely, fun evening.

12. jan says:

I’ve been to Sturbridge a couple of times as it is only about fifteen minutes from my grandparent’s house in Monson – such a fun place! We’d always top off the visit by going to Howard Johnson’s in the new town for hot fudge sundaes!

Ooh! I’d love to visit that place, too! I think I’d prefer it in the light of day, though. Your favorite is my favorite as well.

“Way too cold for ice cream”? That phrase doesn’t even compute for me. You don’t have to be a kid to know that ice cream is delicious year round. Same with iced coffee. Sometimes I get a look when I order it. Yet people drink cold soda all the time. Nobody orders a hot Coke when it’s snowing. Anyway … another set of nice-looking doors, Dan!

15. jesh stg says:

What you show here is what I love about the look of the North – definitely different from California. And the doors are beautifully decorated:) Thanks for coming by my blog!

This is the kind of thing I would love to be able to do. Thanks for letting me do it vicariously through you today, Dan!

Oh does it feel like Christmas over here. The house that was totally unlit … you GOT IT, Dan! Way to go! I was so thrilled to walk along with you in this village. To my knowledge we don’t have anything like this here, so you must know, how much I appreciated this post!! Thank you! <3

I visited OSV years ago (when I still lived in Jersey) so this is such a great reminder of this beautiful area. Beautiful door photos, Dan.

19. Val Boyko says:

Such atmosphere captured here Don. I have busted in daytime in the Spring. Such a different experience. Your photos bring out a historical depth!

20. What a treat! I visited many years ago when my family lived in the Boston area. Such a special place. Your photos will trigger the desire to go visit. And for me to return sometime. Gorgeous doors.

21. Growing up in CT, I made a dozen trips to OSV over the years. What a fun place. I don’t remember going at Christmas time. It sounds wonderful.

22. klara says:

you did a great job given the challenges (no light, no tripod, lot of people). such an interesting piece of history. and I had to smile at ‘the only door that didn’t have people running through it’.

23. What a brilliant idea, tours by night. Very atmospheric and great photos, Dan.

24. Very nice photos and it does look very pretty. The first photo with the brown wood slat siding reminds me of the film “The Village” by M. Night Shyamalan. :)

25. misifusa says:

Great photos. As a child, I remember going there with my parents.

26. Elizabeth says:

I grew up in RI, and remember visiting OSV as a student. Awesome pics and description, as always.

Fondly,
    Elizabeth

27. Joanne Corey says:

My husband and I began our honeymoon at OSV, 33 1/2 years ago.

28. I love your Thursday Doors’ posts so much. Full of information and great pictures of old-style buildings and homes. Simply loving it.

29. Pingback: Christmas Tradition | No Facilities