One-Liner Wednesday – Frustration

Credit to a friend and coworker for recently highlighting one of the saddest things systems developers (and other agents of change) ever hear:

But that’s how we’ve always done it.”

Part of Linda G Hill’s One-liner Wednesday challenge.

This entry was posted in One Line Wed, Prompt, Rant and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Frustration

Good one! There’s too much of that in so many aspects of life!

2. LindaGHill says:

I’m with Joey. This pretty much covers it. :)

3. Don says:

I often wonder how often that one-liner has stood in the way of progress. I think if we were able to assess it, it would bowl us over. It’s one of the most debilitating things to say and to hear.

One of the worst reasons for doing anything.

5. It is even sadder when those wrds come out of the boss’ mouth.

6. I wonder how many times we’ve all heard that one? Lots. I also remember cringing when a new employee wanted to always tell me about how s/he did something at their previous company. :-)

7. That quote says sooooo much :)

8. jan says:

Yup, that’s a tragic thing to hear alright!

Oh, I’ve heard that plenty without being a systems analyst. It usually revolves around someone who doesn’t like change.

10. Oh yes! How do people not realize that “that’s how we have always done it” is not something anyone wants to hear, ever??

11. Interesting that no matter the industry, you never hear anyone say “Wow! We’ve never done it that way before. This is going to be great!”
    Wishing you a thriving Thursday, Dan. Hugs.

12. Dan Hen says:

Oh . But that IS the way we’ve always done it !

13. Yeap! A pretty sad one!

Dan, I will say most teachers cringe at this one liner, too. We believe in opening minds to other directions and new ones, too. So, somehow systems developers and teachers (well, this rather retired teacher :) ) do agree!