The People have Spoken (well some of them)

Hartford from the Bulkeley Bridge

Hartford from the Bulkeley Bridge

I had some serious plans for a reflective post near the end of the year. I wrote it. I read it. I didn’t like it. Maybe I can rework it into something interesting, but I don’t need that particular challenge tonight. The forecast says that we have a winter storm coming, our first of the season, and I need to make sure we’re ready for that possibility. I can be forgiven if I’m a little late with the preparations, it was 70° f (21.1°c) just four days ago.

My snow blower is ready, should the “3-5 and possibly 7 inches” materialize. I have my doubts. I think the weather forecasters might just be trying to prop up the milk and bread industry. Those are always the first items to go. I have snow shovels, but some are still tucked away in their summer retreat. I have salt, which, if the threat of the snow turning to rain and freezing rain, comes to pass, I will certainly need. Unfortunately, the salt is in the garage and getting to the garage requires a liberal dosage of salt be applied on the driveway. Lest I fall on my asphalt.

So, I’ll leave you with 12 photos. All are from my Flickr site. Most are from 2015 but they have all risen to the top of one of the ways in which Flickr measures favorites. It’s kind of like the way they choose Miss Universe, but with better announcers. If you’re curious about any of the photos, they are all described. You can click on any one and invoke a slide show.

This entry was posted in New England Life, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to The People have Spoken (well some of them)

1. Wow Dan — those are all great photos. Of course I love kitty with her pillow, and bunnies… But that one with the arch and rail road tracks — that’s really compelling. Wishing you a happy end of 2015! Mega hugs!

2. Mike Powell says:

Beautiful shots, Dan. Your post may not have been reflective, but your featured photo included some nice reflections. Your writing never fails to make me laugh and shake my head–we have a similar warped sense of humor. Best wishes for a wonderful new year.

Thanks Mike. I consider your liking my photos quite the compliment. You have a great eye and you work hard to get some wonderful shots. It’s always nice to find someone with a “good” sense of humor. I hope 2016 is good to you.

• Mike Powell says:

Some of my friends might take exception to the use of the adjective “good” to describe my sense of humor–I get blamed for a lot of bad jokes and puns, even when I am not at fault. I like the ways that your photos chronicle your life. You shoot what attracts you and has meaning in your daily life. You don’t have to travel to exotic locations to find beauty–your photos illustrate that truth.

My top four picks from your photos include two cats, a railroad bridge in the fog and a coneflower. Have a happy photo-snapping 2016 Dan!

Thanks Mary. MiMi and MuMu knew they could count on you. I can’t ever really figure out what makes some Flickr photos work better than others, or some blog posts for that matter. I’ll keep snapping in 2016.

4. Val Boyko says:

I love these reflections of the year! The sunset is my favorite too 💛

5. Nice range of photos as I sit and look out at the white winter wonderland this morning. We have several inches on the ground, and it’s still coming down heavy. We shovel but also use the John Deere to blow the long and expansive driveway so we wait until we have 5-6″ and then make a pass at it. A previous owner had a business in the barn and while we sit quite a ways off the road he also added parking for at least a dozen cars then add turn arounds and other parking and you have an area to clear that is ridiculous. Oh well, that’s what winter snowstorms are all about, right – complaining. I will definitely be putting my Yaktrax on so I don’t kiss the asphalt today. :-)

Good luck Judy. We have a very small bit of property, but it can still be a challenge to keep clear and to get paths to the firewood and for the dog to… We don’t expect much today, more sleet and ice than snow here. I’ll probably be pushing this around with a shovel :(

6. Deborah says:

What a lovely collection of photos to view while reading and drinking coffee. :-)

Thanks for the treat! Ami says hi to Mimi and Mumu, with a grudging nod to Maddie. ;)

8. Nato says:

Love the tree photos and the butterfly one! Great collection of Flickr favorites. Good luck with not falling on your asphalt! Love your humor.

Thanks – I’ll try to stay on two feet. I was surprised that there weren’t any snow favorites, but I guess people were pretty tired of looking at snow last winter.

• Nato says:

I will have to check out your Flickr page. I have yet to venture to that site. I used to manage a page for my military unit but I am in a new unit now.

Snow pictures are so beautiful. But I guess you could get tired of seeing it if you are in it.

I have a lot of friends in the Boston area, where they got over 9′ last year. We had a lot here, but they had it worse. But February was the coldest month ever recorded in CT – I don’t mind the snow that much, but sustained frigid weather got old.

• Nato says:

I grew up in Michigan and Ohio, so I remember snow. Though, I don’t see it often down here in Georgia now. Very rarely actually. So I kind of miss it. I think after two weeks though, I would have my fill of it. So I can understand the getting old mentality for sure. Getting 9′ is way excessive. Atalanta was crippled with just a few inches. Of course, they don’t have the supplies or experience with it so I suppose it is understandable. Yet, funny to folks in the North I imagine.

9. joannesisco says:

Each one of these photos is so beautiful. I can see why they would be so popular. Like MJ, the kitties have my vote as favourites. They are adorable … and they look so tiny compared to my big boy! :)

10. They’re really great images Dan! I love the bridge shrouded in fog too, and your cone flower with the butterfly, and oh that one with the vivid sky color. That must have been awesome live and in person to see.

I hope you get the salt and shovels ready, and your back too! It’s been cold here in the mornings 34 ºF this morning! Everything is covered in a layer of ice. I can’t imagine taking Diva Dog out for a walk in this chill. Thankfully she runs out does her thing and dashes back in all without me. :)

Your kitties are adorable.

Thanks Deborah. My daughter got a great shot of the butterfly and a bee ( https://flic.kr/p/uCRvHJ ) which she had printed on metal to give to my wife for Christmas. We were there for a long time, but it was fun. We have a short base of snow with ice piling up on top of it right now. The dog loves running in it, but I’m not taking her for a walk today.

We are getting pounded by that winter storm. Hope your snowblower is super-charged. :)

I had an update from my brother in Ames, IA. We have nothing that compares to what you’re getting. On the other hand, by the time I can get the machine after it, it’s going to be cold soup which the machine throws about 6″ – so basically, out the chute and onto the tread :(

This arrangement is really great, Dan. It allows the ethereal black and white photo to be a cornerstone, the sweet tuxedo cat photos balanced out with color and beauty. Terrific end of year post, but wait! Do you have a door’s post still? I like my years end door’s story and door. It has the wish of possibilities in 2016.

I do have a year-end door post ready for Thursday Robin. It may not appeal to all readers, but it’s true to me, so I have to go with it. I may even sneak in a ‘One Liner Wednesday’ but recent events in the news have put the planned one on hold. I need to have a blog post about why some blog posts get written but never published :)

Of course, I forgot to thank you for this comment and to especially thank you for mentioning the arrangement. I messed with this one a few times to get it the way I wanted but I rally wanted the foggy bridge to anchor the large corner.

13. Dan,

Your photographs, and the place you live, are beautiful. I love the bridge.

Really lovely, I like them all — but I’m especially fond of the foggy tunnel/bridge.

Every single photo I just looked at for a long time. I’m sure I went over the given WP time limit to read your post, Dan. (smile) I think my favorite is your red clouds sky image. I am in awe of this and bit envious that you saw and captured it! Every one, my friend, I enjoyed. I just sat for a long time drinking in the beauty your gallery contains. Thank you!!! Wonderful post, and good luck with that storm! We did get some snow but now it is raining … gee whiz! <3

Thanks Amy. All of the sky shots are from our tiny back yard and all were taken while being out with Maddie to take care of business. If it weren’t for that dog, I would have never seen those sunsets/sunrises. Thank you so much for your comment. I love putting something out here that people enjoy looking at as much as I do.

Great pics, Dan! I just came in from shoveling snow, and it seems to have finally let up a bit. The sun is trying to peek out from behind the clouds. Over the last two days, we’ve accumulated a good foot in the driveway. I guess like other unpleasant things, winter’s gonna come one way or another! Sometimes it’s delayed, but eventually……. ;P

17. Sammy D. says:

I love this collection – it’s like thumbing through one of those nature calendars at the bookstore!! Especially like the train tracks with the ‘ghosting’ arches. Happy New Year and hoping you see snow without sleet!

18. Lovely post. I don’t think you need to do anymore to sum up a great year

19. The autumn path that you and Maddie walk is a favorite. Happy New year to you and yours!

20. All pictures are awesome but my favorite is the bridge one. Brilliant photography by you and Faith.

21. Your photos are always great, Dan. And it’s a good choice to leave us with such a beautiful series. I love the animals best, but the fog on the bridge is lovely too.
    Happy end of 2015. Saty safe with the storm. Like you I tend to find most weather reports alarming but in NE you nver know, right?
    See you in 2016 with more posts and great pics.

Thanks Evelyne and thank you for visiting here so often during what seemed like a very busy year for you. The forecasters were right this time, until they changed their mind. They originally said the mix would change to rain by 1:00 pm. Then they changed that to 9:00 am. It changed to rain around 12:30 pm.

22. Aunt Beulah says:

Those folks on Flickr have good taste. I especially enjoyed Sky on Fire and Trestle. Seems to me a story could come from Trestle.

That bridge can do very well in a ghost story. And I like the frog. Say Happy New Year to MiMi, MuMu and Maddie for me.

Wow. Some great shots here, Dan, and a terrific variety of color and subject. Thanks for sharing these. Great way to close out 2015.