One Liner Wednesday – Growing Up

“You sure you want that?”

As I was outside yesterday, a woman pulled her minivan over next to a small wooden desk that someone had put at the curb for the trash collectors. Her young son wanted the desk. She clearly had doubts. I watched as she put her doubts aside and agreed to let him have his treasure. After he cleaned the snow off, I helped him put it in the van.

At some point, we start letting our children make their own decisions.

In response to Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt.

This entry was posted in One Line Wed, Perspective, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to One Liner Wednesday – Growing Up

Believe it or not, the same thing happened with me and my son – only a bit later we discovered the desk had termites!! Yikes!

2. joannesisco says:

One of the toughest things we do as parents.

3. You’re a good dad, Dan Antion.

4. prior2001 says:

That was nice of you to help – and so true about kids deciding – except for my youngest he was naturally leading the family at 4 – seriously – a smooth leader and one day we were going out for pizza and it was like – how did we end up there? And it was my son! So early on we learned his innate bent to manage and lead and whew – it is a very powerful gift when developed right –and I read the other comment — so I hope this kid’s desk was not termite laden!

Thanks – I waited until the mother acquiesced before offering to help. I’m now picturing your son looking at me and saying “could you give me a hand with this?” It’s been warm here, but I think the termites are well underground. I was more worried about water damage – it was caked in snow. Oh well, every kid needs a project.

• prior2001 says:

Yeah and maybe the mom was just putting on a show/ ha! But sounds like it will be an appreciated piece – and that is nice! And o e of the things I used to like about the show “rehab addict” was how she would salvage things from the curb and use the stuff in her house makeovers – true recycling at its best!

5. That was nice of you to help Dan. I hope the desk turns out to be a real treasure for him. Have a wonderful Wednesday. Hugs.

6. What a nicely observed scene and moral to the tale. I allow my kids to collect too much in the way of “treasure” I think but I had never considered that I was teaching them about making their own decisions. Something for me to ponder I think.

7. LindaGHill says:

It’s funny how that point comes as such a revelation. It’s kind of the point where kids stop being extensions of ourselves and become individuals. Scary and pride-inducing at the same time.

I don’t have children, and I can only imagine how difficult it is as a parent to let go of the reigns. Some parents never learn to do that, and are constantly interfering in their adult children’s lives. I have some family like this and I see only misery from both sides. Your post believe it or not, represents what I am doing in my inner world … Letting go and stepping into Faith. You sound like you might be in need of a (((HUGS))) sprinkled with a healthy dose of JOY, so here they are courtesy of moi! Love, Amy <3
    PS Yesterday was a very heavy day for me with lots of tears and realizations. Today the sun is seen yet NO SNOW darn it!!! Forty degrees here! OH COME ON!! I'm going waterfalls chasing today! That will put the grin in place even if there is NO SNOW!

Bless you for helping, Dan!

10. About 10 yrs ago I spotted a rusty piece of metal laying in a gutter along side a road that I thought would make a great shelf for a homemade potting bench I had dreamed up. I was walking when I saw it and it too heavy to carry the 2 miles home, so I picked up my pace and made a beeline for home to get my car to go back for it. I was so excited in the telling of it that He-Man insisted on going with me…turns out he wanted to talk me out of it. His eyes rolled, he shook his head, thought it was rubbish and I should just leave it. I refused. I had a plan!

I pillaged his wood scraps, and cinder blocks, and found a nice piece of scrap peg board too, and made a pretty good potting bench. I still have and use it, and that old rusty piece of shelving is still going strong just a bit rustier. :)

I hope that roadside pick up turns out to be a treasure that that young man uses for a good long while too.

It must have been amusing watching the whole scene evolve. It was lovely of you to help them load it up!

11. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, good one liner, and good deed! Have a wonderful Wednesday! Chryssa

12. Terrific one liner. I thought you were going to talk about ordering liver and onions.

13. Happy New Year, Dan! :) <3

14. Team work at its best. Good one, Dan.

For some reason, I can’t read that without thinking, “You want fries with that?” O_o