Thursday Doors – Twilight Zone Marathon

DVD coverYou unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension – a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
-Rod Serling

I know, it’s not a real door, but it’s an important door to me and it’s on SyFy as we speak and it’s really hard to think about anything else.

I love the Twilight Zone!

More importantly, I love that specific introduction. During the series, they changed the introduction a few times. My friend Paul, over at Shadow and Substance, would know for sure, but I think this one surfaced in the fourth season. It doesn’t matter, it spoke to me.

By the time the Twilight Zone first aired, it was clear that I was a nerd, an introvert and destined for a career that probably wasn’t going involve physical activity. By the time The Zone had finished its network run, it was also clear that I had an interest in writing and storytelling.

After The Zone was gone from the airways, I started reading Rod Serling’s books. I noticed that his stories carried subtle messages, I noticed that his stories made me think and that his stories helped me imagine better things. For the first time in my life, I realized the power of good storytelling.

I wish I could tell you about the great writing career that those observations spawned. I didn’t pursue an education in a subject requiring much writing, but Chemistry does benefit from a healthy imagination. I also managed to take more than my share of English courses. I kept reading books written by good storytellers. I didn’t become a famous writer, but writing and storytelling has played an important role in my technology career. The interest remains alive, that’s why I’m here.

Enough about me, another favorite episode is about to start.

If you’re a fan of the Twilight Zone, you will recognize the doors I selected. If you’re not a fan, you can just skip to the gallery and view the significant, in my opinion, doors from the Twilight Zone.

This post is part of Norm Frampton’s Thursday Doors series. Next week, I’ll be back to doors in this dimension. If you want to play, visit Norm’s site, click the linky thing and show us your doors.

This entry was posted in Thursday Doors and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Thursday Doors – Twilight Zone Marathon

1. Honestly, I have no idea at all about this, but sounds interesting. I often ask myself this question – why do people still love classic TV series, movies and music and art? I mean in India as well, we listen to lot of classic songs (I myself have tons of songs from 60s, 70s and 80s), I’ve watched a lot of classic movies and loved it so much even when there’s no VFX in the movie. So I see people love classics that remain timeless, while new songs and movies just come and go and there’s no repeat value to it. I sometimes wonder what attracts me to such classic stories and music, but I have no definitive answer to it. What’s your take on this Dan?

I can’t speak to all things Sharukh, but The Twilight Zone is timeless. The stories resonate today as they did 50 years ago. Rod Serling tackled societal issues that still haunt us. The lessons are important because we haven’t learned them yet.

Also, these were made at a time before special effects and CGI. All they had were a good script, good actors and good cameramen. It’s amazing to see how scary, how intriguing, how engaging these black and white 30-minute segments can be.

As for music and movies, well the stuff I like from the 60s also has a message. People had passion and they expressed it in their music.

Happy New Year my friend!

I always liked these!! Night Gallery, Outer Limits, Hitchcock…. you get the idea! Happy New Year’s Eve, Dan!

3. Dan… Fantastic! What a great idea for doors. I will be sharing this one all over the place. Here’s closing the door on 2015. Wishing you a thriving Thursday and a thriving 2016 my friend. Hugs!

4. Nice twist to the challenge, Dan. Happy New Year!

An interesting twist to end the year Dan – I like it.
    All the best to you and your family for 2016: Happy New Year!

6. prior2001 says:

Dan great idea for a doors post! And I. And I can see how writing helped Chem – it seems to compliment all things! We had s season pass to TZ about 7 years ago and my boys liked comparing the new ones to be classic – but it was only a short while – and I never read his stuff – but do recall being riveted by rod serling’s shows – master story teller and great insight about sociology and culture! Clever door post!

7. prior2001 says:

Also dan – I just put up my year in review in photos post – and snuck one in for you – a steelers fan on a bench – ha! (But have to end with go Broncos)

8. Nato says:

Love the post! Witty twist. I remember watching that show and loving it. It was so full of suspense and always pulled me in. The intro was great too! Now that you have mentioned it, I kind of want to watch some:)

9. I looked up the years – 59-64. I was certainly of an age to have watched it, but for some reason I don’t think I was a regular. I do remember the intro though and find it a perfect last door for 2015. Happy New Year, Dan. 🎉

Dan, great minds move in similar directions. I entered The Twilight Zone on SyFy last night too. I have always loved the show. Why? Because of the writing of course. My favorite episode is “Nothing in the Dark” starring a young Robert Redford as Death. In one of the most beautiful scenes in all of television, death comes as a gentle friend to an old woman.

Wow, what a creepy treat! And thanks for including shots of two of my favorite actors, William Shatner and Jack Weston, one super-famous and still going, one little-known and gone. The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street made me sorry I snuck up and watched it when I was supposed to be asleep. I haven’t slept since. heh

Happy New Year!

12. What a great and enjoyable look at “doors” for the end of the year, Dan! I remember “The Twilight Zone”, although not in this detail. My husband is a big “X-Files” fan, so I imagine when that returns in its new persona, he’ll be watching.

My whole family treasured the series, “Twilight Zone,” Dan. There was a time I watched it regularly. I was just thinking about the creator of a few of the stranger story lines. I may need to re-blogging this and cite you as my inspiration or “instigator!” Books, movies and television are part of ways, in my life, to unwind and let my imagination soar. This show, “Time Tunnel,” “Alfred Hitchcock Presents” and “Star Trek” were ways my brothers, parents and I could relax and yet, during commercials discuss and (sorry to say) argue some of the finer or scientific points. Not in mean ways, just excited ways. Hope your new year brings some new and interesting ways to enjoy life with your wife and daughter. Happy new year, Dan! :)

Those must have been great discussions Robin. My mother was not a fan of science and certainly not science fiction. She often let us watch this show, but she wouldn’t normally watch with us. I do enjoy discussing some of the finer elements with my daughter. it’s a great way to stay involved during the commercials.

14. Kinderhook88 says:

“A Stop at Willoughby” – probably my favorite episode. That first picture stopped me right in my tracks. Great post! Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to have to binge watch a season or two.

15. klara says:

I love your take on this week’s door. I think I watched long time ago either Twilight zone or something of a similar name (I don’t remember anything about that, just that I liked it ;-) )
    Happy new year

16. Deborah says:

I didn’t see a lot of episodes, but it’s weird because I just saw a commercial for some station that’s having a Twilight Zone marathon. I am quite curious, but I’ll have to stage my own marathon sometime. But I do remember the door. Great take on the Thursday Doors. :-)

The perfect post for today, Dan! Great door selections from the show. My hat’s off to you for this clever idea!

18. Sammy D. says:

I bet you had fun putting this one together, Dan. Happy New Year and thank you for good-hearted entertainment and thoughtful enlightenment throughout 2015. You’ve grown as a writer and I’ve enjoyed your journey.

19. Love this! I have been a TZ buff and usually watch the marathon on New Years. This year, travelling in Mexico, no TV, but it’s OK. After being in San Diego one minute, then in Baja Cal in what seemed like such a short time, it feels like the Twilight Zone :)

20. Kerry S. says:

What an interesting take on the prompt! I haven’t seen The Twilight Zone since I was a child. It used to terrify me! I still have a memory of a single, weird eye at the side of the road, sinisterly following a car driving by. And that music…

Clever! I am going to check to see if and when The Twilight Zone is on…I remember a few of these, but I’d love a refresher. I bet the girls would also like it. I read the intro aloud to The Mister and it wasn’t long before he joined me. Great post, Dan!

22. What a fun spin on the door theme! I can’t say I’m a fan of the Twilight Zone having only seen one or two episodes many years ago, but my guess is I would like it. Even though I have managed to disguise my geekdom with the trappings of trend throughout my life, I’m definitely a bit of an introverted nerd at heart and I think that’s a very good thing! My geek out of choice is Star Wars. I loved it as a child and have re-lived the fun with my son and of course most recently with The Force Awakens!! I enjoy your writing very much and am glad you have stuck with it in whatever way, shape or form it takes. Here is to 2016!

23. jan says:

I loved Twilight Zone!

24. Pingback: Spirit Animal Blog Award | Being ME !

I am not a big TZ fan, but the picture from the airplane is familiar. I know I watched the episode, but can’t remember the content.

26. This is definitely the time of year for marathon series watching. Sounds like you had a lovely time in the Zone, Dan. ;)

27. I’m pretty sure my husband caught part of the marathon. I noticed the black and white picture and some strange going’s on in the cockpit of a plane. I used to watch it all the time. A great series!

28. Dan Hen says:

Creative approach ! I remember all of those episodes .

29. Kelly Grace says:

The episode with the insect that laid eggs in the guys brain is the grossest thing ever! I saw it in 1973 and I still freak out if a bug gets near my ears.

30. Pingback: Looking Back? Forward? | No Facilities

Many thanks for the shout-out, Dan! Appropriately enough, I’m late to the party BECAUSE of the aforementioned marathon. Whew. Anyway, yes, you’re right — the famous TZ intro with the door, clock, eye, etc., is from Season 4 and 5. Interestingly, they fiddled with the opening quite a bit in the first three seasons, but finally debuted this look at the start of S4 and never went back.

By the way, I must admit feeling a bit disappointed when I saw this post. Not that it was a bad idea, or that you didn’t do a fine job! It’s just that, believe it or not, it occurred to me a couple weeks back that *I* could do a Thursday Doors post on the doors found in TZ. I even had two or three picked out and was toying with the idea of using the weekly prompts to cover episodes I hadn’t written about yet. Oh, well. Considering my current pace, it may be just as well.

Glad you enjoyed the marathon. Great door selections! Especially the one at the beginning, the one that leads to imagination … O_O … Happy New Year!

I didn’t mean to steal your thunder Paul. I had to find a way to combine New Year’s Eve and Thursday Doors. On the other hand, I wouldn’t let the fact that I wrote that post deter your plans. I’d certainly enjoy reading about each door in greater detail. I say go for it – and don’t forget to redo that poll :)