American Made Hormone-Free Organic Awards

socs-badge-2015I knew that someone recently wrote about awards. I had to go look it up. It was Hugh, and with all due respect, I am not comfortable with the notion of accepting awards as a part of my blogging strategy. Don’t get me wrong, Hugh’s right, and I probably should listen, because he often has very good advice, but…I can’t. That strategy, as well as posting on Thursday afternoons and including photos and calls for action probably all work. It’s just not for me.

You may have noticed something odd though: I do have an award on my sidebar. It’s The Dragon’s Treasure Award from Cimmorene. The award is handcrafted and selection is by a committee of one, Cimmorene. I love her blog, and I particularly like her News sports and Weather posts.

She’s not an ABC, NBC, ESPN style news source, but it’s a fun read, and that is why I’m here. I read to be entertained. I also read to be educated: in my field of employment, in history, science and in the more spiritual aspects of life. I read to be inspired, but I’m often inspired more by the way a writer phrases a description than from an “inspirational” post. Those of you whom I follow already know this, because you’re entertaining writers. That’s why I follow you.

So far, I’ve collected about half-a-dozen awards. I have hemmed and hawed (I always thought that was himmed and hawed, so, see, educated) about officially accepting those awards. I haven’t yet. I hawed and hemmed about making my blog officially “Award Free” which I haven’t done.

Award free sounds to me like “hormone free” “organic” or even “American Made.” Not that my blog isn’t made in America, but tacking phrases like that onto something always seems to me to be more of an advertising thing than an educational thing. It’s certainly not an entertaining or inspirational thing, so what’s the point. You might think it’s educational, but you discount the fact that you might be being lied to. “American Made” might mean “assembled” in the United States. Sometimes it means stuff was made here and assembled in Mexico or Canada or China. Who cares? If I want the stuff, I’m probably going to buy the stuff. I’d like it if more stuff was made in America, but I think several of those ships have already sailed.

I remember when I lived in Seattle, Subaru made small pickup trucks with the tiny jump seats in the bed. Well, they shipped them in unassembled. The truck was assembled, but the seats weren’t bolted into the bed. Rumors at the time suggested that they could say they were shipping car parts, not cars and avoid some tariff or dock fees. I don’t know if that’s true, but it sounds like the kind of loophole that our government would overlook. I searched for the name of that truck. It was the Subaru Brat, and it popped up in an article about the Top-10 scary cars.”

In addition to “Made in America”, “Organic” has also always bothered me. What food isn’t organic? Petrochemicals are organic, at least that’s what I learned when I took Organic chemistry. So that even makes plastics and fertilizers organic. Certainly bio-engineered plants and animal feed are organic. Hormone free? I doubt many animals worth eating are hormone free. Maybe we didn’t juice them up with additional hormones, but they’re making their own all the time.

Anyway, if I had proclaimed my blog to be award-free back in 2015, I would have had a dilemma when Cimmorene gave me her award. I’d be saying “I don’t accept your awards, but I’ll accept hers.” Technically, I guess that’s what it looks like, but it’s not the case, I’m really just lazy. Awards are work. The work, thanking, boasting and nominating more recipients, is why they work – did I mention that they do work? Well, Hugh says they work and WordPress says they work. But I’m lazy and as hard as it might be to believe, there’s a kinda-sorta schedule behind the chaos of this blog.

Awards really interrupt the schedule. Work interrupts chaos. That’s a fact. The second law of thermodynamics says that everything is moving toward a state of maximum chaos, and that it takes energy to prevent that, to achieve order. There’s only so much energy, so ultimately there won’t be enough to get/or keep everything ordered. That’s why it scientifically stinks to be afflicted with OCD. You can’t really keep everything ordered – the universe is against you. The laws that govern our existence are against you. Even if you keep things in order, when you die, disorder happens. Chaos (ultimately) rules.

Today’s post is part of Linda G, Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday.

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “odd/even.”  Use one, use both, use ’em any way you’d like! Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Humor, Marketing, SoCS and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to American Made Hormone-Free Organic Awards

1. I’m with you Dan. Some people can get so “holier than thou” about those topics. And they never stop to think that not everyone has the money to make perfect purchases… Ahhh… my Julia Sugarbaker soapbox beckons but I shall resist… Mega hugs!

2. Awards or no awards is always a personal thing. I seem to see a lot less floating around than a few years back. I also remember a MG class where the instructor said that by the time we sit down to enjoy our baked potato with butter and sour cream that the plant or the ground itself had been sprayed 20 times. I’ve never enjoyed a baked potato as much since. Maybe we need a sign on all foods that says sprayed xx times with pesticides so we could choose how many sprays we want versus how much they cost. Have a good weekend and I hope you don’t get too much snow from this storm. :-)

Where to begin here. Oh wow. I had to put on Petals “Award Free Blog” because I was getting bombarded with awards. Don’t believe me, just take a peek at my Awards Page to get a hint of the list of awards I have been given. I DON’T HAVE THE TIME to do them. As you say, they are work, and I have developed a rhythm in order to keep order, as best I can, with Petals. When I step out of that order, chaos is even more prevalent then it already is. Grrrrrr ….. So, simple. No awards.
    I happen to believe eating organic foods is healthier. I don’t like the idea of eating antibiotics um, no thanks, and pesticides we are surrounded enough of those, thank you. I also have tasted the difference between organic and non-organic foods, and since I have really been eating healthier, my body really does feel ill when I don’t eat something I usually do. Hence, the hazards of eating good … junk food now makes you feel ill. As for what is being made in America ….. I’m really trying to boycott China but I am finding out what a difficult time of it I am having. At least I am trying!
    Hey did you notice the SHARE button is back in the WP Reader?? Wow! Enough peeps must have complained. Now I know why WP has been acting up this past week. Change.
    Have a great day, Dan! I’m going to try to get to Yoga this morning even though I am nursing a cold. Between the stress of bringing our cats in to see our Vet, my crazy work day schedule, and being exposed to some rather cold weather …. darn it, I came down with a cold. Funny thing, my cats too have succumbed to the URI (cold in cats) and I truly believe it is from lack of sun and light. They seem to get the URI every year this time of year. The new addition is me. I usually don’t. <3

You work pretty hard to stay healthy Amy. I eat pretty good stuff (when the Mrs is feeding me) left to my own, I drift away from the line but never too far. Moderation (I think) works best for me :)

• AmyRose🌹 says:

Moderation …. Yoga out the window. Nope. Not going when feeling like something the cat dragged in from the rain. As for my face dilemma in the cold I think I figured that one out. I have a down coat with a face shield on it that covers my nose and lower face. Then I have a hat that has a flap that comes down over my forehead. And last, a pair of safety shield glasses on my eyes. Now if that doesn’t work, I don’t know what will. :) Trouble with any kind of glasses while my nose and mouth are covered, my breath steams them up. Always something to figure out …..

Like you, I accepted one award and it really stressed me out. I loved the idea of promoting work that I admire and enjoy but hated the notion of creating a sense of obligation for anyone else. Instead of passing on the award, I listed a few people who I thought were under-appreciated and it all worked out well.

“Nothing but moo in our milk.” If that ain’t an advertising slogan, it should be!

What a beautiful coffee table! You, sir, are a craftsman/artist.

Our #2 Daughter, whose chickens have supplied us with eggs for years, has decided not to get more chickens as her current ones age because it hurts her too much when they die. SO, Charlie bought some “organic, cage-free, vegetarian-fed” chickens’ eggs at the grocery. I was like, “But chickens aren’t vegetarians. They eat bugs and insects and worms and each other and anything else that doesn’t run fast enough.” Also: cage-free doesn’t mean they aren’t kept in a big metal building with a million other chickens.

Please, Dan, break up this soapbox I’m on before I hurt myself!

ANYWAY, great SOC post, as always. :)

6. Nice one Dan. I have to believe there is a certain amount of “hype” people need or they are not comfortable. Organic, safe, Made in America, etc. Gives folks comfort that they are in control.

7. JoAnna says:

I appreciate your honesty about being lazy and the rationalization that awards interrupt your schedule. The priorities of my life just do not allow for the time it takes to respond properly to the awards by nominating others. If I only had a clone, or a blog assistant, it would be different. So going award-free on my about page gave me one less thing to worry about. In reference to what John wrote, eating pesticide-free (when I can afford it) does give me a feeling of comfort.

Oh. Well I grow stuff that’s heirloom and non-GMO, then I buy as much as I can that’s organic and hormone-free and antibiotic-free and ethical…I really like to buy local, but it’s hard, and hard even to buy things made in the USA and I’m not a good commenter, am I? lol I just like to know what I’m consuming, and I can taste the difference at times.
    I haven’t claimed that I’m award-free, I just haven’t accepted any in a long time. They’re time-sucking, people feel the need to apologize or get loud about how they’re not doing them, my stats always go down when I do them…

You’re s great commenter Joey! I love your comments. We buy local as much as we can snd all of our dairy I’d from Trinity Farms, do nothin but moo :) we’ve toured the farm, talked to the owners and. Met the cows! You can taste the difference. My wife ignores tomatoes until she can grow them or by from s farm stand. But, when I travel, I eat anything.

9. First of all thanks so much for the mention. Dan.

Yes, I do believe blogging awards work, but only in the early days of blogging. When they were originally invented, they were only meant to be awarded to blogs that had less than 100 followers. They are a great way to network with other bloggers and gain new followers, but as your blog grows they become far less effective. Of course, as our blogs grow then so does the work in writing posts and answering comments, not mention dealing with social media. So that is why I declared my blog was going “award free”. It doesn’t stop people from nominating me and I will always thank them for thinking about me. At the end of the day it all boils down to what is best for each and everyone of us. Some love the awards, other loth them. It’s such a shame that the rule of only awarding them to blogs with less 100 followers has been ditched.

Thanks Hugh. I figured you’d be s good sport. At least you got a ping back (which I see you wrote about today). You do offer a lot of good info at your place. I never knew that awards were originally for newer smaller blogs.

• I’d forgotten about it, Dan, then somebody reminded me about it. I believe the very first award was invented by WordPress as a way to help new bloggers network and gain and visit other blogs. It seems that bloggers then started to invent all kinds of other awards. Such a shame really as these awards really are very helpful in the early days.

10. Lots of food for thought here, Dan (no pun intended originally, but…). I’ve been given a number of awards throughout the four years I’ve been blogging and I appreciate them. But I rarely have the time to do the pass-it-on aspect of many of them or the tell-us-(whatever.) If people want to give me an award, I thank them and that’s usually the end of it.

I also enjoyed your musings on labels and find myself in agreement with what you mention. As I’m on vacation with very, very limited internet access and not willing to spend much time online, I’ll leave it at that: I enjoyed the post and you raised a number of excellent points. :-)

11. jan says:

Thankfully no one ever nominates me for an award so I don’t have to worry about what I would do! Yeah we have a ways to go before fresh tomato season but the daffodils are coming up (here in CA)

I always feel guilty about refusing an award but I really don’t have the time to jump through all the hoops that they require.
    All this talk of tomatoes has me thinking about my garden and we’re still months away :-(

13. Bee Halton says:

“The second law of thermodynamics says that everything is moving toward a state of maximum chaos, and that it takes energy to prevent that, to achieve order. …” That law summs up my life perfectly and also your conclusion that chaos rules our existence but what did my brother always say: only the genius rules the chaos. :-). Thanks for a wonderfully entertaining post. I feel ordered enough to sleep now ;-)

14. I did go award free because although grateful to those who chose to choose me for an award I felt it was kind of a popularity contest and did not reflect necessarily the quality of my writing. And like you I think it is definitely very time consuming. I do like organic and hormone free if possible though for my food and drink. It may be a losing battle but I think it is good to keep the chemical and hormone additives to a minimum. :)

15. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, always enjoy your posts, and this one had a lot of food-for-thought! Yep, I agree with Hugh about awards! Good at the beginning and good for bloggers with minimal followers. I haven’t actually gone award-free, just created an Awards Page (like Chris Graham & Nicholas Rossis). It’s all set up with awards and nominators and a huge list of my nominees. That’s it! Hugh also has a great idea about ping-backs. Also likes and comments on fellow bloggers posts keeps you in the blogging community. Then there’s time for writing books, posts or organizing lists to stave off chaos in life that happens anyway! Happy Weekend! Elizabeth (aka Chryssa)

16. prior2001 says:

Well I just so Happen to have read Hugh’s post – so this post flowed even more for me – and i do what wonder about “organic” –
    and quick side note – I do believe that some meat products can be better than others – like we will never buy Walmart meats – stopped a long while ago-

And remember Redding about how some meat can have certain stress hormones – don’t have links right now – but a while back read some studies about the way that some people reacted to eating meat from animals that were butchered with practices that were stressful – the theory is that chemicals form the animals (from the stress that they release during stress response) makes its way into the meat – hm – but even with peer reviewed status there is always so much may potential confounding variables (or loopholes like with the brat assembly!)

Thanks for an interesting comment. I think the further we get from where our food is produced, the harder it is to know exactly what we’re eating. I think I remember the stress hormone stuff. It makes sense.

• prior2001 says:

Thanks Dan – and last year I learned a lot about enzymes and how our body needs them as they are the Sparks of Life- and all this hype about organic might be a distraction from other things – like the need for a little enzyme help – partly because we stop making some as we age – then sometimes things in our gut send out enzyme inhibitors – or we just do not have any In food (zapped them or cooked them out) and so I think most folks would benefit from I investing in digestive and systemic enzymes rather than paying all that for organic – even tho the whole GMO thing might be good to stay away from – but really do not much about/ oh and the pics of cherry – mmmmm

That’s interesting. I haven’t heard much about enzymes. Figuring out what’s in/not in our food is going to get harder and require more work, especially GMO. Home grown and local is best but we can only get so much around here. At least we can get dairy from a small local farm.

• prior2001 says:

Well we don’t have local farms – but trader joes dairy has a creamier and. Ore delicious taste – esp their butter ! And nicely priced –
            Well have a good day Dan! And in a few hours we will hopefully stop the patriots from advancing – go Broncos – 🏉

“Broncos win the AFC” can be sung to the Nationwide jingle – just sayin. Go Broncos!

• prior2001 says:

Hahah – and was looking forward to coming back and checking in with u! That was a gut wrenching 4th quarter oh my!
              And I think they were trying to unleash gronck at the end but not this time!
              And smiling with your jingle

Good job! The tension felt as bad as any Steelers game. I am SO GLAD you guys won. By the looks of it, you’ll be playing the Panthers. PS – The jingle works with “Superbowl” instead of “AFC” :-)

• prior2001 says:

Yes – but sadly we still think of the jungle with the last super bowl- “Peyton lost the super bowl” – but looks like they are smart right now and so we might win and the hum will be “our defense won the Super Bowl – lol –

Stop Newton. You stopped Brady. You can do this! Every team says the key to beating NE is to stop Brady, you guys did it.

• prior2001 says:

Yeah- 20 hits on Brady! Not that I wish him bad – but time for Brady to put on his Ralph Lauren sweater and walk the beach! And ur right – looking like they will need to stop Cam! But will be a nice matchup of old and young number one picks – 🏉

17. Good one. So frankly how many people as per you in the US buy products after research and knowing what ingredients are inside it? In India, at least around me, I don’t see people doing that. To be honest, majority of them don’t even know what stuff they buy. The only thing consumers see is the label and the brand. If its a big brand name people just buy it irrespective of what the ingredients are. I often get strange stares from people at the supermarket when I have two different products in my hand and I’m minutely reading and comparing ingredients list at the back of the product. I’m sure they must be thinking – is this guy a scientist or a just pretending to be an expert? :)

I don’t pay as much attention as I should but my wife does and my daughter does so I benefit from their work. We should pay more attention. Our government makes it harder by requiring less information or letting it be in units that require a lot of work to understand. Thanks for your comment.

I agree that accepting awards is time consuming. I am always flattered, but I would prefer to spend that time reading, liking, commenting on posts. That’s what led me to follow you, Dan. So, I nominate you for awesome post of the moment award. No work need be done, just smile and carry on.

19. Aunt Beulah says:

How glad I am to see someone else tussles with the awards thing. When I first started blogging, I had no idea what I was doing, and I relied heavily on the help and advice of a family member who had a well-written, well-established blog about family finances. One of his bits of advice was to not get involved in the awards cycle because it would take too much time away from the time I had available in a day to write my posts and comment on others. So I apologetically explained to the few who have nominated me for an award that I had decided to be a nonparticipant, but I always feel bad about it.

I let the “homemade” awards come rolling in approximately two years ago and before that time. At first I thought it a kick to get one, and would rearrange my posts and do double-time in writing sometimes. Soon the interferences were annoying. At the end, there were times I was feeling harassed, which was bizarre since the awards were coming from bloggers I knew fairly well as wonderful acquaintances. I don’t have a place on my blog, neither a page or on the sidebar, where I am telling all in cyber space that my blog is award free. Although it’s an inconvenience of a sort, when offered an award in exchange for an odd exercise, I respectfully decline and thank the person for thinking of me. In the last six months the number of award-exercise requests have dropping for me. I still see the blog posts because I’m still subscribed to their blogs, but I don’t appear on the list in those types of posts. The last time someone tried to include me was in October, I think.

Yes, the Award Free Blog display does make me think of advertisement for a product that, let’s say, is gluten-free or sugar-free. Another intent that comes to mind is the blogger is trying to show how s/he is above this kind of camaraderie. Sad. I figure the time I take to cordially refrain from participating is keeping some of my online friendships in tact.

I hope to eat fresh but not always healthy, Dan. Simple answer but complicated details could come later. . . :)
    I give awards out to give shout outs to friends who blog. . .

Top 10 scary cars! I had to laugh at that. And Subaru Brat is number 1!
    You know, the first time I heard that phrase “organic food”, I didn’t know what was exactly meant. I thought: “But is there inorganic food?” The speaker was advising the world to consume organic foods, which implied that there are indeed inorganic food substances around. So I thought that perhaps she meant that we should not eat salt.

Ha – try taking salt off the table. I have a thing about people who misuse words or don’t think about the full or alternative meanings of words when they speak. I also have a thing for people and companies that apply human standards to animals. There’s brand of vegetarian dog food. Dogs are carnivores, you shouldn’t try to change that.

• Peter Nena says:

Indeed. I share your sentiment. One day in 2010, I was in church and the pastor said that a friend of his, who has a pet lion, used to feed the animal grains of corn to prove that everything and everyone could be vegetarian. He said like it was great news to share with the congregation, but I found it very disturbing.

Is this all a round-about way of saying you run a highly decorated blog, Dan? Okay, I get it — you’re an acclaimed blogger! Uncle! ;P

I jest, of course. I know it’s not. I also know you run a very good blog, and that all that networking and promoting helps. I’ve been Freshly Pressed twice, and it was very nice to welcome more visitors, but so far, that’s all I can boast. Keep up the great work!

Dan, I could shoot the guy who decided to slap that word “organic” on stuff. It makes me want to throw things when I walk into the grocery store and see the banana display (as just one example). It’s built like a four-sided stepped pyramid. On one side it says “Organic Bananas .87¢/lb”. On the other side it says “Bananas .57¢/lb”, and I think to myself, “….. it’s in a peel. It has a protective “shell”.” How the hell you get a NON-organic banana is beyond me, but even if they sprayed it with pesticides… you’re not going to eat the peel, are you??? The whole reason that fruit HAS a peel of some sort is to protect the part you’re supposed to eat from all kinds of things, from bugs to disease to pesticides. Or “organic” milk? O_O I could scream, I really could. It’s all just another money grab, preying on people’s fears and gullibility. At least that’s what I think. I’ll just take my chances with the regular bananas, thanks.

My wife pointed out that hormone-free dairy has to be a misnomer given that the milk cows provide is due to the fact that they recently gave birth. Non-organic banana’s ??? That’s crazy talk. Non-organic coffee?? What the…