One-Liner Wednesday – Accident

“No one was hurt and the train was not damaged”

AMTRAK

It’s always interesting when a train passes moving in the opposite direction.

I wouldn’t normally go with a quote about an accident, but they did say that no one was hurt.

This was part of the statement from the people at Metro North, whose maintenance train hit a snow plow that was stuck on the tracks at a crossing. That the train was not damaged, isn’t much of a surprise. It’s a matter of physics…and math.

The amazing thing is that the driver of the snow plow, who was in the truck when somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 tons of train slammed into him, was not seriously hurt.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

This entry was posted in Connecticut, Current Events, One Line Wed and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Accident

Great to hear GOOD news for a change when the media is so stuck on the horrors of the day!!

2. Dan Antion says:

I agree. This could have been much worse. I think the engineer was able to slow the train, but I was surprised when I read that the driver was still in the truck.

Someone was looking down on the driver of the plow. Wow.

4. joannesisco says:

Any accident that involves the words ‘no one was hurt’ is a relief.

That is some serious physics.

6. Well, I’m sure glad the train wasn’t damaged. That would have been terribly sad.
    I’m being snarky here, of course. It’s good news all around – except maybe for the snowplow.

Being a daily train commuter, this one caught my attention. Always glad to hear no one was hurt!

8. LindaGHill says:

Wow. Says a lot for safety standards in vehicles these days.

9. I’m guessing that there are no airbags on a snowplow.

10. jan says:

Amazing! The driver must be feeling very blessed.

11. Wow. Can’t imagine how he got out without injury

That man has some serious ANGELS with him! I cannot believe he did not perish! Wow!~! <3

Wow, amazing that he survived. We don’t have passenger rail service up here anymore, and yet even with so few trains, I can’t begin to count the number of people who have died crossing the train tracks in this little area. Nice to see some POSITIVE news this time!

This was a maintenance train so there weren’t any passengers on the train. Sometimes their the one who get hurt. I don’t know how the driver managed to not get hurt. Someone looking out for him.

• Wendy Brydge says:

Oh, yes, I realized there were no passengers on the maintenance train. My only point about passenger trains is that we have SO few trains up this way that it’s crazy to think there could be so many accidents!

I remember being taught about the dangers of railroad crossings over 40 years ago. Never pull onto a track if you aren’t certain you can cross. I stop behind the tracks at crossings that are at a red light and sometimes people honk at me to pull up of they go around me snd sit on the trans. I don’t know how this guy got stuck.

14. I echo the comments above. WOW, he’s a very lucky/blessed man!

If it were me stuck or broke down on railroad track I’d get out of the vehicle! I’m always ever so cautious and watchful when I walk on tracks.
    There are several beaches along CA HWY 1 that once much walk beside or on as most do, and cross them to get to the beach, and there’s a waterfall I’ve been to a few times up north that one has to walk beside or along the tracks about mile to reach the trail to the waterfall. They’re all working lines so I’m listening, and watching for trains! I do not want a “STAND BY ME” reenactment thank you! :)

We are very careful about driving across or walking along or on the rails in our area. AMTRAK has an active line that goes through our town and we get several freight trains each day. My daughter and I have photos of tracks and trestles, but usually, one of us in on the lookout for trains while the other is setting up a picture. I think I read that it takes a mile for one of those guys to stop.

15. I am sure the driver of the plow was glad s/he was not killed, but would rather not have that experience again.