April A-to-Z – Really?

For the love of beer

The perfect place and beverage to share some casual conversation.

If we were having a beer you would question my sanity right from the start.

“Are you actually going to participate in the April A-to-Z blogging challenge?”

“I am.”

“What were you thinking when you agreed to do that?”

“I’ve wanted to do it ever since I first followed Damyanti through hers.”

“No offense intended, but Damyanti is a, ahem, a real writer…am I right?”

“She is, and she encouraged me to do this.”

“Have you considered your poor readers? I mean, seriously, 26 posts from you in one month might be a little more than I can take.”

“I considered that. In fact, that’s very important to me. I can’t reveal my theme yet, but I’m working on the theory that my word-count won’t be that much higher than normal.”

“But what about Thursday Doors? I love your Thursday Doors posts.”

“Not to worry. I wouldn’t have a Thursday without a door.”

“Will we be having a beer?”

“Absolutely. I won’t be so busy that I won’t have time for beer.”

“What about your editor? Is she good with this? ‘Cuz you know, ‘happy wife – happy life’ isn’t just a funny saying.”

“I think she’ll be OK. Again, I’m planning short posts. Low word count.”

“Low word count? You? You’re kidding, right? You wrote three paragraphs for One-Liner Wednesday!”

“Ha ha. Yeah, that will be tricky. I may have to skip One-Liner Wednesday during the A-to-Z Challenge.”

“You know, there’s a ‘Wordless Wednesday’ challenge too…maybe that would be good for you.”

“Thanks, but I’m up for a challenge. Can I keep people interested? Can I not bore them to death? Can I work a theme around things like Thursday Doors? I should be able to do this, I’ve been blogging a long time.”

“You’re wondering if you can avoid boring people to death…did you consider just asking me and Cheryl. I think we could save you a lot of trouble.”

“Oh, stop picking on him. He’s not boring. Well, his appetite is boring, Yuengling and chicken wings. By the way, are you guys going to order any food today? We have a new appetizer menu. We’re really not here for the snappy banter…just sayin.”

“Maybe, how about another round for now Cheryl. You want a challenge? How about 26 different beers in April? A different beer for each letter of the alphabet.”

“He’s got ‘Y’ covered, and that’s one of the hardest letters.”

“Amstel, Blue Moon, Corona, Dos Equis…do you have Dos Equis Cheryl?”

“We have Amber, in a bottle.”

“E, I’m stumped.”

“We got nothing starting with E.”

“Are you two done? I’m not writing about beer, but I’m sure there’s a beer that starts with ‘E’. Google it, or I can text my buddy, he knows every beer on earth”

“No! No texting your buddy and NO Google! You people are ruining the bar experience with your technology!”

“What the… I didn’t realize I was treading on sacred ground here.”

“Well, you are. Conversations in bars are special. They should rely on the facts that people have chosen to remember, or misremember or at least stuff they’re willing to make up. There’s no room for the Internet.”

“So, you’d rather be lied to? You’d rather I tell you that I once had a craft beer called Emmentaler while visiting a brew pub in western Oregon ?”

“Yes, but if you’re going to lie, make it a good lie, Emmentaler is a cheese.”

“Hey guys, speaking of cheese, Mozzarella Sticks are on that new appetizer menu.”

“Do they include Mozzarella? ‘Cuz McDonald’s Mozzarella Sticks don’t.”

“Ours do. Tell you what, you order some and I’ll top off that wine.”

“Sounds good. What about him?”

“I’ll top off his Yuengling, if he promises not to email me the story about McDonald’s deep fired empty breading carcasses.”

“Actually, I was texting my wife to see if she wants me to bring her an order of the Mozzarella Sticks when I head home.”

“That’s a good boy. If you’re doing that A-to-Z thing, you better treat that woman like a princess.”

A2Z-BADGE [2016]

If you’re interested, click on the badge and sign-up.

This entry was posted in April A-to-Z, Blogging, If having a beer, Writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to April A-to-Z – Really?

You sure better toe-that-line, Dan – the women are watching!!

Edelhell. I Googled it.

3. joannesisco says:

Congratulations on dipping your foot into the A-Z Challenge. I’ve done it 2 years in a row. It starts off easy and gets a lot harder as the month progresses.
    Last year I prepped 19 of the 26 posts in advance and was still exhausted at the end, but I had a huge amount of fun.
    I’m unlikely going to participate this year. I have a lot going on this spring and I’m worried about the extra time commitment …. unless I can figure out a photo-only challenge.

My advice to you is start prepping early!! Good luck :)

I would absolutely drink this one: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14936/55063/ Imperial Eclipse Stout – Elijah Craig (12 Year) In fact, I may request my local brewpub get some for me. Wonder if they can get it on tap….

Oh, sorry, I’m supposed to be commenting on your post, right? I’m looking forward to your participation. You’d better believe your blog is one of the reasons I’m not doing the challenge, the rationale being that I want more time to read good blogs — like yours!

““So, it’s settled. He can write about beer and stop after four posts – everybody wins!””

DRAT!! My strategy has been revealed.

6. Dan, if I (greatest writing slow poke in the history of poking along) can write a 50,000 draft novel for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in just one month, for 3 straight years… Then you can do this April challenge. (Said the woman who can barely manage one post per week…) Mega hugs!

I couldn’t commit to that kind of grueling blogging schedule but I do applaud those who do. I look forward to admiring as you pull this off. Good luck my friend :-)

Thanks Norm. I have to prep a lot of it ahead of time. April will be a busy month. I’m also going to have to adhere to a fairly rigid time frame on reading and commenting. This is all part of my goal, to see if I can manage everything. I may go down in flames :)

8. Efes. http://www.beerbible.net/beers/Brands-Starting-With-E.html How about a trip to Istanbul (totally tax deductible if it’s for the blog biz, right?) for research?

9. I’m looking forward to it. Good on ya Dan

10. Good luck with the challenge! I’m looking forward to it. Can Dos Equis count as D on one day and E on the next?

I’m glad you’re going to do A-Z! I look forward to reading you :)
    I just don’t know if I will do it. If I do, I probably wouldn’t do One-Liner Wednesday or Thursday Doors and I love those…Unless I could somehow do one post for both…I kept the email for registration, but how I always do, I just can’t commit so early.

So, it appears that I clicked the wrong thingie. The comment below was meant to be a reply to your comment. I would have moved it, but Sammy already liked it. I’m sure she knew what I meant, smart lady that Sammy.

12. Dan Antion says:

Thanks. I came close last year, but I couldn’t pull it together. I think I can squeeze it in, but I’m not willing to give up Doors or Beers or OLWed – I’m probably going to hate myself.

13. jan says:

I’ll be cheering you on from the sidelines but I can just barely keep up as it is now! I love your comment that there will be no Thursday without a door! Lol – I found myself outdoors shooting pictures in the rain of my poor neighbors’ doors – I live in a decently drab neighborhood! Jan

Oh wow, Dan, I give you so much credit. I applaud you, and knowing you, you will accomplish your goal. I’m not sure if I will catch every post but you can be darn sure I will read them when I am blogging. I’m not even blogging today and here I am commenting, so things may not be as dire as I think. Good luck with the balance of writing and keeping happy at home. :) <3

15. Sammy D. says:

Very clever A-Z announcement 😊.

16. John Hric says:

Dan – good luck with your challenge. It will be a great beer drinking game. Read your post and drink a beer. not necessarily in that order. though very close to that order. Does cinnimon cider beverage count ? Oder das Wit beer ? I might even do an A to C daylily challenge. Or not worry about the first letter and do a daylily soup challenge. Happy Saturday. I have escaped from the house project. Now it is time for dinner and a hmmm could it be ? With out wings or deep fried cheesy sticks ? It could be… a cinnful apple cider. Later oh wise one.

You’ve got the daylily-a-day down John. All you need is a box of Alphabits. You could probably make up names (I certainly wouldn’t know the difference :)

• John Hric says:

I believe the line that goes here is ‘bad form Peter, bad form’. I just need to work on getting those missing letters. Of course rules are meant to be altered and alleviated… especially where flower are involved.

17. Wow! It’s not something I would even entertain. I’m quite busy with the Monochrome Madness2 project, Thursday Doors, birds, landscapes and keeping up with everyone’s blogs, and images over on flickr. This is my “high” season for birding so I’m rarely home week-ends to catch up!
    I’m behind all the time now.

I’m looking forward to your April challenge posts, and wish you the best of luck doing all you want to do blog wise that month!

Thanks Deborah. Getting specific photos will be important to the theme I will be attempting. My daughter has agreed to help me with that. You’ll see later that it will be easier than the photos you have to take, unless we make it complicated (which we have the tendency to do). You put a lot of time into your photos (and it shows). I don’t have that kind of time during the year. At least I can write at night.

• I do enjoy the images you share, and make to enhance your blog posts. How cool your daughter is going to help with the images. You two should have lots of fun scouting, discussing, and going out to make the images.

Ah, “making the shoot more complicated”, I know how that goes! :)

Thank you so much for the lovely compliment too! Photography keeps out of the mall, and on the trails which is better for my figure…not so much on my wallet though. :)

18. You certainly had my attention with 26 beers. :-)

19. Can’t wait to read your A-Z Dan, although I must say, as a beer drinker the 26 beers concept is not a bad idea :-)
    Take care

I don’t think I could ever do the April challenge. I use to write a post every day, but I found that my quality of writing suffered when I did that. It could be I’ve gotten lazy, but when I scrutinize the issue I feel I’m just being sensible.

You have me curious about your theme. Will you reveal that before April hits?

Thanks Glynis. I think there’s some kind of official “reveal the theme” day or something. I’m not usually good with organized things, otherwise, I would have spilled the beans today.

I was going to do this last year. I had a lot of planning done, but not enough to do a good job. I feel like I am closer this year, and I can get some of the time consuming work (photos and such) out of the way ahead of time. I’m told that that isn’t cheating. If I had to do everything every day, I’d never make it. A and B would be good and then C could stand for ‘crap’.

21. prior2001 says:

You are funny Dan!
    The A to Z challenge sounds fun! And the way I look at it – folks do not have to read every single post- but for those readers that want to – they will have the option! So I say go for it and let the posts fall where they may!
    And side note – I love Emmentaler cheese – Mm

Love it! haha. Dont get ME started on McDonalds anything. I “grew up” working for that outfit. First out of high school and meeting my ex there, spent another 11 years with that biggest clown outfit in food. Oh back in the day I was so proud to be a part of it. I am likely still trying to rid my system of Big Mac effects, even after not eating there in over four years.
    ANYHOO, I do like that alphabet challenge for beer names…..and good to know I’ll have job security during your writing excursion! Break a leg!

Thanks Chery;. I’m beginning to wish I was doing the beers. I think the buddy I was going to text, is going to do that. I should have asked you ahead of time, I could have added your little Micky D’s experience :) I will have to check with you before the beer episode in April.

23. I really enjoy the responses to the challenges so I am interested to see you do this…Good luck on your adventure.

I was good at it back then. My folks always taught me a job worth doing is worth doing well. Good luck with it all.

25. Hihih, makes me want to do A-Z myself! And today’s still February 1st… As for the topic, hm….. not beer! Nah, I’m not very orderly, I’ll follow yours instead. :)

Have you seen how much trouble I have keeping up with your regular schedule? Are you trying to give me an aneurysm with this? O_o

I am proud of you expanding your blog horizon, Dan. I could do this but choose not to. smiles!
    Anyway, I am glad you are not going on about beer on all the A through Z but do enjoy your weekly bar conversations and hope this and your Thursdays Doors will continue. I am curious what will they put in the mozzarella sticks? Processed cheese? They have no hormone chicken and fresh farm eggs now at McD’s so hoping they are on a good path. They took away my whole wheat bun on the grilled chicken sandwich and have a white puffy bun, it has a name and it isn’t chiabatta. Not sure why they can’t switch to whole wheat bun option for all sandwiches. My youngest daughter and I hhave a black bean burger “Date” coming up at Wendy’s. She is the health food fanatic, so we shall see if it passes “muster” and not mustard, Dan! :)

Thanks Robin. I actually like the routine I’ve settled into, but I think the challenge will be good for me. I didn’t know that the fast food places were working so hard to be (or appear) healthier. I’ve always thought breakfast at McD’s was the safest thing to eat there.

28. I am really looking forward to your April posts firing back to back. I’ll try to keep up on a daily basis.

29. You’re a fab writer, Dan. Quit second-guessing yourself. Besides, I’m not the only one anymore–look at all these comments!

Wow, a post a day for a month? I have no doubt you could come up with some good material, Dan, but I hope you don’t overtax yourself. Even if they’re short(er), the grind can add up. And because it’s yoked to a particular letter each day, you may have to settle for something that’s not that great, but hey, it starts with “K”, you know?

I have mixed feelings about these writing challenges. I’m sure the community aspect makes it enjoyable for some, especially those who might not write without an external jolt, but I’d worry that I might, over time, slip into quantity-over-quality. I definitely want to write more (I average only two posts a month), but I’d have the same misgivings you do that even my most diehard fans (I think I have a few of those :P) might be clicking the link a bit less enthusiastically on Day 19 than they were on Day 3.

But this is me. I certainly don’t want to discourage you. In fact, I hope to be pleasantly surprised by your participation in this. Either way, good luck!

I share all of your concerns Paul. I definitely have to cheat the calendar by doing some prep-work ahead of time. I do NOT want to sacrifice quality in favor of quantity. I have a plan that I think will work. It’s more informative than creative but shouldn’t require much research. I have a workable list of topics, although there are a couple where I would like a better choice (I still have time). I want to see if I can do this without messing things up. The worst case in my book is that I’ll throw in the towel around G or H.

I am in complete aw of the people who actually write a creative piece each day – I could never…

Thanks for your good wishes.

31. Pingback: A to Z Vibrant (sunsets, sports, kids) – In the Zone