One-Liner Wednesday – Outside

Timothy Leary’s dead
No, no, no, no, He’s outside looking in

– Moody Blues

This is the cover art for the album In Search of the Lost Chord

This is the cover art for the album In Search of the Lost Chord

On Sunday morning, I was listening to NPR when they started talking about the Iowa Caucuses and I kinda lost it. I can’t listen to any more politicians or political analysts. It’s just so much of the same stuff. I reached in the console and I took a CD and shoved it in the slot. For the next 8 months, plus a couple of months of post-election analysis, I’m done with radio. I may tune in on the hour, for a bit of news, but I’m done listening to politics.

Ironically, the CD I popped in was a mix-CD I made several years ago featuring some of my favorite Moody Blues songs. It occurred to me that this is perfect for an election year. These guys running for office are trying to take us on a trip, trying to get us to forget reality, forget that they aren’t running for emperor and that they wouldn’t even be empowered to do half the stuff they’re promising us. For all I know, some of them are on drugs. One thing is certain, come November, most of these guys, people, candidates are going to be outside, looking in.

If you aren’t familiar with the Moody Blues, they were are (they have tour dates in 2016) a British Rock band with a unique and complex sound, mixing blues, rock and classical music with some very interesting lyrics. You can read more about them here. If you want to hear this song, you should know that the title is: “Legend of a Mind” not “Timothy Leary’s Dead” (as labeled on my CD) and you can listen to it here.

If you aren’t familiar with Timothy Leary, oh, where to start. Harvard professor. Thought that LSD could possibly have use as in psychiatric treatments. Famous for using LSD and advocating its use. Arrested. A lot. Well, read more about him here.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series. If you’re not familiar with that, please slip on over to her site and join the fun.

This entry was posted in Music, One Line Wed, Opinion and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Outside

1. Politics and politicians – major pains in the arse.
    You’re doing the right thing, Dan.

Best Always

john

I’m with you on the politician issue – way over it!! One more phone call and the phone is getting shut off too! Why can’t we just have the candidates list the issues and their ideas? We could print them out, compare and then vote – simple?

I don’t mind the politics off and on. I do seem to reach a threshold for chatter before the analysts do ;)
    There are modern day Timothy Learys, but they’re more of a fringe movement.

It’s hard for me to imagine being an analyst (make sure Moo realizes that ‘yst’ isn’t the same as ‘ist’) and actually having to listed to those folks all day, everyday. It’s probably good that modern-day Learys aren’t mainstream :)

4. dalecooper57 says:

Fantastic album. House of the Doors is amazing too.

5. dalecooper57 says:

As for U.S. politics, it’s better than SNL half the time; over here we just think it’s a massive satirical comedy festival, although some of the characters are a bit unbelievable…

6. dalecooper57 says:

…oh, and Tim Leary; he and his teachings were practically an instruction manual for my teens.

7. joannesisco says:

Love Moody Blues.

… and have absolutely no use for politicians and even less for the analysts who love to dissect their every word and action. Canadians thought our 90 day election campaign last year was brutally long. You Americans are gluttons for punishment. This rhetoric has already been going on for nearly a year with so much more to come! You have my sympathy.

Thanks! Fortunately, I have a lot of CDs and a good enough supply of DVDs to weather the storm. I do worry about political ads creeping into baseball and football in the fall. 90 days? I’d love it if we restricted these clowns to 90 days.

8. I grew up hearing about Timothy Leary’s escapades. :-) Politics – now there’s a subject or for that matter a lifestyle here in NH I could use a break from. And, yes, we could make this a lot easier with that spread sheet listing issues and responses. Facts instead of fiction. The whole campaign process has gotten so bizarre. Can you imagine how many homeless we could feed and house or how many drug centers we could erect with all that campaign money? And, now we are suppose to believe election results determined by the flip of a coin? Too much. We haven’t had TV news on for days now – can’t take any more.

I feel particularly bad for you Judy. The news story that I shut off was one about volunteers for Clinton knocking on 174,000 doors – FOR A SECOND TIME – If I lived in one of these states, I think I’d have to have signs all over my property – Get Off of My Lawn!

The amount of money being spent is just sad. It’s such a waste, but, apparently, people don’t mind giving to these people. You’re so right about the many better things that could be done.

“Tune in, turn on, drop out.” Your hair is on fire. It’s so beautiful.

10. I remember all of this stuff. I think mainly because I didn’t participate in any experiments. I’m with you on the politics.

We need a constitution amendment limiting all campaign seasons to the two weeks before an election. I could handle it for two weeks, now it is almost two years.

I’ve got no room to talk about the political fiasco going on south of the border. Our new ruling party was elected based on the platform, “The first thing we’re going to do is decriminalize marijuana!” I have no words for these morons anymore, I really don’t.

13. LindaGHill says:

The Moody Blues are still around? Who knew?

I know! I did a quick search and I found their tour schedule for 2016. I saw them last year on a PBS fundraising event, but I figured that had been taped years before. I do like their music. Some of it has a timeless quality. “Legend of a Mind” less so, because I think you had to be there to really appreciate that song, but I still like it.

Good choice for a One-Liner Wednesday, Dan. I’m a big Moody Blues fan, with all the studio albums and a couple of concerts under my belt. Great, great sound. And I came to it late, too, via classic-rock radio. That was such a unique era, when you could have flutes and organs and strings mixed with rock. Everything’s so cookie-cutter boring now. Sure, there are some good groups out there, but it seems as if experimentation by truly talented musicians has all but died out.

And I think you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone on either side of the political aisle who hasn’t had enough of election season. Pffft, did I say season? When AREN’T they campaigning? Even the ones I agree with are trying my last nerve. To quote another famous song from the ‘60s (“Mrs. Robinson”): “Laugh about it, shout about it when you’ve got to choose. Every way you look at this, you lose.”

Thanks Paul. I think you’re right about the Moody Blues and other groups like that. I can avoid the talking heads and the candidates, unless they start buying ads during baseball games and football in the fall. That scares me. I think there should be a law against political advertising during sporting events.

This was great, Dan. I used to be a great Johnny Depp fan until he went over to the “oh, where to start” list.

If I had to listen to politicians campaigning or political analysts blabbering on about it for more than 90 days once every four years, I’d probably turn to LSD too. But your idea of turning if off and listening to music might work too ;-)

17. I like your plan to avoid politics this election cycle. Moody Blues. My first choice of music has been Country Western since… earliest memory is 7 or 8 yrs old so, I didn’t listen to rock & roll too much. When I got to high school I started listening to it more because I was exposed to it more.
    When I played guitar way back when I played folk, and country.
    Surprisingly, my Mom introduced me to the Moody Blues. We were driving in her BMW when she reached down and put in a Moody Blues 8 track. I’ve liked the group since. I must have been 17 then or there about. I was probably a late bloomer to the group. :)

I’m also a fan of country music. My father played that whenever we were in the car. I’ve liked the Moody Blues since ever, but I go long periods without listening to them. I had to have something other than the news.

18. Bee Halton says:

Thanks for enlightening me about Timothy Leary deary…. Was always wondering who that might be when I was watching the musical “Hair” :-) oh, and by the way: thanks to the BBC we get all your caucuses ( what on earth is that anyway?) politicians and analysts too. And I am not listening to radio we have to SEE them too…. ;-)

Hey, Dan, politics has gotten so crazy I’m right there with you. Nope. I refuse. To. Listen. To. Garbage. I actually took the time to listen to a video of a certain running person and I felt as though I were listening to a stupid idiot saying the same thing over and over again, never answering the questions, talking over the media ignoring the questions, and going back to what he already said about 25 times up to that point in the video … About 15 minutes. I. Shut. The. Noise. Off. And sighed. THIS is someone running for President? OMG! When’s the next ship out of here! I’ll listen to Moody Blues any day! Thanks!!!

20. My mom used to point to Leary and say, “You stay away from him.” I did in Laguna, but he was part of our circle occasionally in lalaland. He could hit on you ten times in one night, and never remember that he’d done it nine times before, nor that he used the same lines over and over. I still stayed away from him, but for different reasons. I won’t listen to ANY news (unless it is fakery) but read it. I’ve made my choice, it was really really easy, and frankly I am horrified at how CRAZY so many people are. Now we’ll see.

21. dvaal says:

It has probably been 20 years since my husband and I went to their concert. They have moved me with their melodies since I first listened to them. I also love foreigner!

You have Moody Blues, I have AC/DC. They know how to drown out a babbling politician :-p

I always avoid the political garbage until about August. I’m only interested in the ‘candidates’ who may have a chance of getting into the office they’re shooting for. I like the Moody Blues too, and I’m pretty certain all have group has had a psychedelic trip or two. I didn’t know the name, Timothy Leary, yet I remember all the talk about the so-called possibility of the positive effects of psychedelic trips.

I’m with you. I’ll make a decision when I have actual candidates to choose from. I’m sure every rock band from the 60s had been on a trip or two. These guys have really hung in there, and I guess are still making some good music.

24. Aunt Beulah says:

The Moody Blues. Wow. Listening to them took me back to an era when I was young, invincible, and hip — for a girl raised in Utah. My husband and I used to play their records over and over until our landlord said he had complaints and could we please play something else one in a while.

Ha ha. I love that you got complaints about variety and not volume. I tend to leave CDs in my car forever, playing them over and over. I had just returned from a round trip up to Boston an I finally grew tired of the old cd. These guys will be in for a while.

One of the songs while my brother and I were out over the weekend was a Moody Blues song that Randy liked. I like M.B. band but I never owned an album nor did my ex-husband who I met in college, Dan. So, I will listen to the songs you mentioned. I liked the song Randy pointed out, just don’t remember the title. By the way, on someone’s post I mentioned they played an Eagles song but accidentally said they played “Rebel yell” for David Bowie trbute, but it was “Rebel, Rebel” for David Bowie and the other was played for the crowd to be excited. I bet you knew it was a Billy Idol song. “Take it Easy” and “Desperado” are some of my favorite Eagles songs. I like music of many kinds. I like the group Boston, by the way!
    I am sure we have some kind of Timothy Leary type person out there but cannot figure out if I know who may be a good equivalent. . . :)
    Our family pays attention to politicians. My brother was here last night, professor/runner Rich. We had stew I made in the crock pot (and didn’t post about, what do you know!) Also, we went out to look at the night sky to see if all 5 planets were out. We saw 3 of five and were pleased. I am never able to see Venus and Saturn as they rise before the sun. My brother says that his wife’s father and he were in California the last time this really cool combo happened. They were talking about space and time. We talked about Mom’s house is in the final stages before the key passes to new owner. . . what to do with the money, since he is Executor while Mom is not good at decisions like this anymore, she will sign papers. I have a DVD that my friend’s husband took a VCR tape of my Dad videotaping my three kids, Felicia was an infant, and I at a park in Lancaster, Ohio. On another part of the tape, my Mom and brother Rich are debating about a political subject, while Dad was taping Felicia playing with a Raggedy Ann and Andy metal lunch box. The background conversation was typical of our family, playing about talking serious “stuff.”

I agree Dan. It is becoming absurd for candidates to have a “platforn” based on promises because we all know who weilds the real powere and it isn’t the guy getting sworn in. It is all psycho babble to me…can you say Alan Parsons? 😉