If we were having a beer – Florida Vacation

For the love of beer

The perfect place and beverage to share some casual conversation.

“Cheryl, vacation boy is going to be buying the first round. I’ll have a glass of Meomi and, well, you know his choice.”

“Oh, a little snarky, as if I’m boring, even though you drink the same wine all the time?”

“I don’t drink the same wine all the time, I just switched to Meomi.”

“Only because they stopped serving the wine you had been drinking since Bush was in office. If they took Yuengling away, I’d switch beers. And, what’s with the vacation boy thing?”

“Didn’t you just get back from Florida?”

“Yes, but I was there for work, hardly a vacation.”

“Oh, I guess I was confused by the pictures on Facebook of the ocean, the sand, the sun and the bar. My mistake.”

“It is your mistake. I had precisely three hours of unscheduled time during the 48 hours I was in Florida.”

“Still, while we were dealing with snow and temps in the teens, you were ‘working’ under sunny skies and warm breezes.”

“It was 55 when I got there and the high was 64.”

“64? I used to live in Florida, 64 would have been considered cold. At 55 you might see people in parkas.”

Least Terns

They look ready for racing.

“Maybe you can help me, since you lived there. Do you know what kind of birds these are?”

“Those are Least Terns. I love those little guys. They don’t look happy with the cold either.”

“You’re just siding with him Cheryl because he’s paying. I’ll take 55 over 19 any day.”

“She lived there, she knows what she’s talking about.”

“I heard that it got warmer, why didn’t you stay an extra day or two? I’m guessing you could have gotten some sweet corporate rate in that resort.”

“Yeah, I’m not really a resort kinda guy. I’m not a Florida kinda guy either for that matter.”

“What’s wrong with Florida? I’d move back in a heartbeat.”

“The heat. Not that we had any, but the normal year-round temperature in that state is just too hot.”

“That’s why God invented air-conditioning.”

“That’s the other problem in Florida, the place is over-air-conditioned. Most inside spaces are cold.”

“There’s no pleasing him Cheryl. He complains about the cold up here, he complains that Florida was only in the 60s and he complains about the AC.”

“I don’t complain about the cold up here. I like winter. In fact, this winter has been a little too warm for me. I mean we have buds on some trees and I saw Daffodils popping up last week.”

“It’s going to be -6 (1) tonight Dr. Mel (2). Are you buying both rounds today? This wine goes down easy.”

“I’m not buying either round. You stuck me with the check last week and the week before that. Buy your own damn wine, and buy me another beer.”

“OK, ok, anyway, I’ve been thinking about a get-away weekend to Florida, which airline did you fly?”

“Jet Blue and Southwest.”

“Huh?”

“I flew down on Jet Blue but I flew back on Southwest.”

“Non-stops?”

“Non-stop down. I had a short layover in Baltimore on the way home but I still got home earlier than if I had taken Jet Blue both ways.”

“I thought Southwest had a non-stop to Ft Lauderdale.”

“They do, but too many of my coworkers were on that flight. We can’t all be on the same plane.”

“Right, can’t risk letting the whole company crash. But, did anyone ever consider the risk of leaving you in charge?”

“Wow, you are really on my case today.”

“Sorry, I’m just jealous. You were in Florida while it snowed here.”

“Trust me, it was work.”

“The – Super Bowl Party – was – work?”

“Yes, it was a party, but also a business function.”

“Good thing the Steelers weren’t in it.”

“I’ve been there twice for that. When we beat Arizona and when we lost to Green Bay.”

“Had to watch your language?”

“Yes I did. Much harder during the loss.”

“Baseball will start soon, maybe the Pirates will surprise you this year.”

“Pitchers and catchers report one week from today.”

“You ever go to a spring training game?”

“You’re the second person to ask me that. I’ve never been, maybe someday.”

“Cheap tickets, real baseball, not like NFL pre-season games. What’s to stop you?

“The Pirates play in Bradenton, FL.”

“Cheryl, let’s have that next round before he starts again.”

(1)  -6 Fahrenheit is -21.1c
(2) Dr. Mel, was a very popular on-air television meteorologist for WTNH television in Connecticut from 1986-2011.

This entry was posted in Humor, If having a beer, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

84 Responses to If we were having a beer – Florida Vacation

1. New England or Florida in the winter? Now there’s a topic everyone has an opinion about. I must say those beach shots look inviting especially this wicked cold weekend. Maybe I need a beer so we could discuss it further. :-)

“But, did anyone ever consider the risk of leaving you in charge?”

So THAT’S why they sent me on so many trips.

You, my good friend, are insane. Freezing temps over sunny, breezy beaches? I admit I love the mountains as well but a chilly 45 is all I intend to praise. I know a place you would love. Savegre, Costa Rica. Breezy, dry daytime temps of 70-ish and nighttime 30-40. EVERY day. All the rainbow trout you could eat, horseback riding, hiking, waterfalls, birding (I photographed the QUETZAL there) but with wifi and a great big tv in the lobby of the bar next to the main building. We watched LSU lose the championship there that year. (Grrrr……) note: that was a grrrr…..not a brrrrr…..I loathe shivering, wearing layers of clothes and having to be on and off with all of them all the time. I agree about AC in warm climates but I just take along a light jacket when I go to the movies or the mall. Now, if you want to talk miserable hot, I grew up in South Louisiana….can you say respirator? You guys always crack me up. I love this job! 😀

Thanks Cheryl. I might have to give you a bigger tip. I’ve been to New Orleans in the summer and I don’t know how people live there. The place you describe in Costa Rica sounds idyllic but I really do enjoy the four seasons. Then again, I was just outside using freezing wrenches to fix my snow blower. That, I could live without :)

4. joannesisco says:

Florida in February sounds pretty sweet to me – even if the temperatures are only mid-50s. I could do a lot of comfortable cycling in that weather ;)

And in Daytona you can do it ON the drive on beach! 😉

Dan, you get 2 million bonus points for mentioning Green Bay, regardless of the outcome of that game.

As the high today will be sub zero, with even colder wind chill, I would prefer to be sitting in a Florida bar, just off the beach, so I can carry my plastic cup of a craft beer through the 65 degree sand.

I knew you would like that mention Mary. I see you’re leaving me to freeze, taking your bike and heading south. Give my regards to Cheryl when you get there (she commutes from FL to work in this bar).

7. Ha! I’m sure it’s at least as bitterly cold where you are as it is here, Dan. Florida sounds pretty good to me! Gorgeous photos. Have a satisfying Saturday and a happy Valentine’s Day. Hugs!

Hmmm..I get ya. I will say that after living in the retirement “mecca” for a few years now and spending time with so many “snowbirds”, as well as watching my own evolution of tolerance, I can confidently say,”Give it a few more years and tou might think a little differently about things”. And, on a brighter note, we actaully do have four seasons here, although our Autumn starts around November 15 and ends first of February! 😛

so, winter is Feb 1st until the 14th? Tolerances do change, but I don’t see us moving south. I think the snowbirds and the tourist might drive me crazy faster than the weather. Just walking through the Ft Lauderdale airport was making me a little nuts.

Aw, I’m sorry you had to go to Florida. I was about to write, But aren’t the beaches nice? before I remembered you don’t live in a landlocked state…
    We have some terns here. I forget what kinda terns, but they look like seagulls and it freaks me out because I don’t remember seeing any seagulls here before we got back. I should really write about that sometime.
    Welcome home :)

Thanks. I get your opening comment a lot. I was also in Ft Lauderdale in December, but in the city, with no access to the beach. Two days, in a freezing cold hotel, I might as well have been in Cleveland. Well, not Cleveland, but, you know. I actually like going to our beaches in the winter. I grew up landlocked, but I’ve been been in a coastal state sine I was in my 20s.. I can’t say that I notice a difference but my daughter says she feels funny being inland. Then again, I’m not much of a beach person either.

10. Our thermometer said -6 F when I got up this morning. I hate to think what it was overnight. Florida sounds good right about now, except that it’s way too cold to leave the house.

Home is def where your heart is. I have to say the Florida landscape is very diverse, socially speaking. The closer to Orlando and South Florida you get, the more typically touristy things are. But here it is more escapist mentality. A kind of uninhibited hippie zen but also a broad spectrum of soceoeconomic options. No teal agenda which is my favorite one! 😃

12. jan says:

I had to go to Florida for work in August! It was miserable. Too hot and humid to be outside for long without needing a shower! But it was beautiful.

13. I love four seasons too but I do love heat! We are off to FL this week to visit family and I am eager for a little sun and beach. I agree with you though, they are crazy with AC there, I don’t understand why they keep it so cold inside.

14. Oh, I forgot to mention that it is -24 in Montreal today, with the wind chill factor it is down to -39 and we are talking Celsius here. I’ll let you do the conversion but believe me I would like it a little warmer even though I love 4 seasons.

I hope you know that the dog running in the snow contrasted in a beautiful way with the sandy beach with terns on it. I also like seagulls and am going to pay better attention to which is which now, Dan. I bet you were happy to be back home again with this Valentine’s Day weekend going on. I hear that this coming Thursday will be back in the 40’s while last night it snowed and was below normal temps. This morning it was only 17 degrees. I would be happy to be by a beach in a warmer climate, reading a book with my feet digging into sand. Very therapeutic compared to my current lifestyle! Smiles!

16. It is cold at 66 degrees. Glad you could get out of the snow for a while.

17. I love this conversational post. You have a great sense of humor. I have a weird question just popped up. Which is the most expensive city in the U.S. as per your experience? In terms of sightseeing, restaurants, public transport. Or let me put it this way. Of all the cities you visited which one was the most expensive.

Thanks Sharukh. Of the cities I’ve been to, New York, Boston, Seattle , San Francisco are consistently expensive to visit. They all offer a great experience though.

• Never expected Seattle in the list. I expected N.Y., L.A., D.C. Texas, Miami. However I have another question but I’ll ask only if I have your permission. Can’t sleep so just talking to you.

Ask away. D.C. Is also expensive. As is LA. All the large cities are but there’s a difference between living and visiting. All of the ones mentioned are expensive for both.

• Yeah I understand mega cities are expensive like Mumbai is in India. So my question is how much salary is enough for decent living in your city? Of course the more the better, but what’s the low point. To pay bills, put food on the table and decent clothes. Just curious.

I have to give that some though. Minimum wage here is about $10 an hour. “Living wage” is closer to $13/hour. Or about $26,000 a year. But decent apartments are $800-1,200 a month. We don’t have much mass transit, so if you work outside the city (or work there and live elsewhere) you need a car. Insurance, taxes, etc. all add up fast. I’m not sure how far that living wage would go.

• I know its hard to calculate all things. I was just checking between the life cost there and here. No wonder Indians prefer US because they make thrice the income they make here. In India, there’s no concept of ‘Minimum Wage’ so employers have full liberty to exploit and manipulate the market. This is why many international brands outsource to India because Indians work at 1/3 of the hourly wages even on Saturday/Sunday. Many work for 12 hours and then take public transport. The mass transit thing in India is more popular in Mumbai than anywhere else. Most cities in India use private vehicles and cabs to commute. Mumbai has the luxury of these local trains that no other city in India can match. The reason I asked you this question is because many American clients are willing to offer $50 per article to Americans, but not more than $5 to Indians, so I was like may be the answer lies in the lifestyle pattern. Well, thanks for the information.

So…what I’m hearing is that your heart would consider relocation and expansion as long as the weather is cooperative and the populace behaves.

Yeah as much as I love the kids and grandbabies I could never willfully live further North than Arkansas or Georgia. I love Lincoln but even in May it is dreary and cold to me. Of course I love being among trees so tall they block the sky. One friend I had from Illinois once visited Houston (another residence in my repertoire with hubby) and he actually panicked from claustrophobia due to the high rise buildings, tall trees and extreme humidity. It’s really all relative.

I’m ok with big cities but I wouldn’t want to be in one every day. I love New York and I enjoy visiting Boston but the daily traffic is just a mess. The nice thing about CT is I can get a train 2 miles from my house and be in NYC in 3 hours

20. Nice dialogue and photos. I think the cruise ship was coming in for a landing. I do not like humidity and a lot of air conditioning either. But we have to air conditioning in the summer and in the desert. Don’t like it on at night though. :)

I’m not a fan of Florida or football. Florida is too humid and there’s too many creatures that live there that I’d rather avoid. Football is just young men bashing each other around and getting themselves so injured that they end up on SSDI.

22. Mél@nie says:

interesting post, as usually… btw, I loved New England in June, Florida in April-May, even though as humid as Houston, TX where we lived for 5 years… :)
    * * *
    have a great week & positive vibes… cheers! :)

23. I think I would adore an escape to FL during the coldest time of winter for the warmth, and the variety of birds they have down there.
    Speaking of birds- I don’t think those are Least Terns. I think they’re Royal Terns. The Least Terns have a black patch that goes all the way to their eyes, and in winter their bills are black.

I’m waiting for the Terns to return. We don’t have Royal Terns, but we do get Elegant Terns which look similar to Royal Terns. Nice take off shot!

Thanks. I think if I was going with family to Florida for a get-away, I might like it. Goind for business, leaving my wife to deal with the snow and spending most of my time in meetings is a different story. It’s a good time, but it’s not a vacation.

I didn’t realize there were so many kinds of Terns. At least I’m closer than I have been in the past when I described them as “some kind of bird” :)

24. Aunt Beulah says:

I look forward to your dialogue-only bar stories. And every time they work. How do you do it?

Ha! They probably say that about people too! 😝

26. Prior-01 says:

I never really thought about Florida being over air conditioned – but I think it is right- I have lived in Florida a few times and always was a pleasure leaving- ha! But I could maybe do it again if we had to – it is not a took choice – but is on the list – if that makes sense. Anyhow – in 92 I dated a guy (briefly) who was in FL for Umpire school – just mentioned that cos you mentioned baseball at the end.
    The variety of pictures at the end was fun to scroll and fit the chatter perfectly – the dog action shot is my fav- then the lights of Hartford – felt all Van Gogh –

Thanks. I’m looking forward to baseball starting up here. I didn’t know they had an umpire school. Makes sense. I dong think Maddie would like FL.

• Prior-01 says:

I agree – and Dan – I actually think it is called baseball city- and side note – I dated another baseball player down in Florida – I worked in restaurants and so I had the chance to meet so many people and because Florida is so touristy- well it was really fun- and the guy I dated was from France! Big baseball stud and looked him up in ’08 (just for fun and with the hubs – we were just checking on old friends) anyhow – he was now a Canadian – and I do recall he did not like his home country –
        Anyhow – one more thing –

Your posts are so fun sometimes when you throw in random tidbits! Things we would miss at a real bar (maybe!- depending on the beer and how much food there was) but when you said y’all cannot all fly together I remember all the tjmaxx employees that were lost during 911! I used to shop there a lot when my kids were little (getting the max for the minimum/ ha) and for months when you walk in they had the counters covered with the names of the execs that were killed – all on the same plane!!

I had forgotten about that. I was one of the last to make my arrangements this trip, and the email had come around suggesting that we should look for different flights. Of course, the way the airlines run these days, that isn’t always easy. It’s interesting to hear about a baseball player from France. I wouldn’t have expected that. Thanks!