Thursday Doors – The Church of the Epiphany

Church of the Epiphany

Church of the Epiphany

Today’s collection of doors, belong to The Church of the Epiphany in Washington, D.C. I took these photos when I was on a business trip in DC last June.

I liked this church because of the little public garden they had set up in the courtyard. Space in Washington, D.C. is at a premium, so to find a beautiful garden in which to take a break from the heat and the noise was a most welcome surprise. When you consider the other things a church like this needs, notably parking, maintaining a certain amount of green space is a very nice gesture. A couple of the photos hint at the location and scale of the garden. There are no direct photos because there were lots of people taking advantage of the garden, many who deserved their privacy more than I needed a photo.

According to the Parish history, the cornerstone of this church was laid in 1843. The church building was consecrated in 1852. The tower was added in 1857. In 1958 the Epiphany Church Home opened to help the sick and the poor. The church served as a hospital for Union soldiers during the Civil War. The church maintained a relationship with health care, funding Episcopal Eye, Ear, & Throat Hospital in 1897. In 1958 Episcopal Eye, Ear and Throat merged with two other hospitals and formed Washington Hospital Center (MedStar Washington Hospital today).

Since I went overboard, even compared to my normal behavior, yesterday on my One-Liner Wednesday post, I’ll leave you with the photos of the building and the doors. Of course, I made some notes in the captions.

This post is part of Thursday Doors, a fun series managed by Norm Frampton and enjoyed by door fans from several countries. If you want to join us, visit Norm’s page, click the blue linky thing. Oh yeah, you’ll need a door.

This entry was posted in History, Thursday Doors and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to Thursday Doors – The Church of the Epiphany

1. sassandsauce says:

I have a fascination with doors too. Also the history was fun to read about.

I am a big fan of churches with red doors and history, too. Dan, the window above this door really adds to the photo. Beautiful post, too.

3. Doors in my favourite colour – how could i not like!

Another fine offering, Dan

john

4. Beautiful striking red, without going overboard. Lovely! And so kind of you to not disturb the people in the garden. :)

5. Love all the pops of red! The church looks almost white, too, which makes them stand out even more. And I love a secret little garden – a special treat.

Lovely old church with bold red doors, a nice find Dan. Seems to be tightly tucked into that location. I bet there’s some developer out there drooling for the opportunity to get a hold of that lot.

Thanks! I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t a developer knocking on those doors Norm. It’s hard to imagine that they’re even able to keep the garden without getting pressure. When I saw the car parked on the side, I though that it’s a surprise they haven’t paved over the garden by now.

7. joannesisco says:

The bold red doors is not something I would expect on a church. I guess that’s what makes them so striking. I particularly like the composition of the first photo in the gallery with a view of the 3 side doors together. In that sea of white concrete/stone, the red doors are particularly striking.

8. dimlamp says:

Interesting collection of doors, I like the red doors set within the white church.

9. Love the color because I don’t know if I’ve ever seen such striking red doors on a church. And they carry the arches throughout which I like a lot. :-)

Thanks Judy. The red doors do stand out really well here. I do like that they carry the arches, even when they couldn’t maintain the style on the door of the parish office. I wish I knew the story on that door.

Really nice share :)
    That may be one of my all-time favorite red doors. The top left shot with the series of red doors is my fave. Great repetition!

11. Nato says:

Love the boldness of the doors, like upon entering, dramatic things could happen…

Love the red doors! It makes this church stand out, although the garden is another reason to stop and look. It appears that the next time I am in DC, I may have to continue my tour of its churches, with this being the first stop.

Thanks. I spend a little bit of time in the garden, and it’s amazing how you can be just a few feet from a busy street but feel quiet and calm. So many churches in DC. When I started going through my pictures, this one really stood out.

13. I love the color combo of red and white. Those doors with their arches, panels, and little windows are lovely! Great finds; the doors, and garden.

Ah, another door in my town, eh, Dan? It’s certainly eye-catching. Either they like red, or there was a sale on red paint at the hardware store that day!

You have soooooo many doors Paul, it’s hard to know where to start. I was there for 5 days, and I was sick as a dog for two, but I must have photos of 50 doors! I might be back there later this year, if you’re interested in that beer.

15. Mél@nie says:

red doors are really cool… I saw plenty in Malta last year, red seems to be a lucky color like in China! :)

Thanks for stopping by. Red doors on white churches are common up here in New England, but they don’t always look this good. Maybe it’s the stone and the fact that they are set back into the arched entrance.

16. tgeriatrix says:

These red doors are unusual. Teh white and red makes it very decorative!

Arched doors with the little windows in the top are ideal, in my opinion. And while I’d normally favour wooden doors, I gotta admit that I’m lovin’ that bright red! If you’re going to pull off a red door, it’s got to be a nice POP! shade, and they nailed it here.

Thanks Wendy. It’s funny that you say that about the shade because I thought it was a very nice red but then part of me thinks “red is red” so… I do like the Windows above the doors.

I really really REALLY love red doors on a white church! And those Gothic arches always get me, too. Thanks for a real pleaser, as always. :)

19. Red is a really good color for a front door. And so inviting for a church. Lovely pics, dan.

20. I don’t often see red doors on a church, and what a lovely shade of red it is, Dan. Great photos.

21. Jill's Scene says:

Red doors on a Church, I love them!

22. tnkerr says:

I love the red! Really nice.

23. Omi gorgeous red doors on the beautiful building!

24. So peaceful and the red doors are spectacular. Great subject today.

25. I love the white and red contrast. Plus, I love to read the history that comes along. Like always I have a question. I believe you must have visited many churches across cities that you’ve traveled, so majority of those churches have idols or just a plain cross? Before I met Sarah, I had no idea about different types of denominations like Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Methodist and so on. Now most churches I visit with friends, in fact all churches I’ve visited so far have idols, so in India its hard to find churches without idol of Mary and infant Jesus, so on talking to majority of my Christian friends I found that most people emphasize more on Mary than on Jesus (because she sacrificed her son for greater good). On the other hand, I found few Christian colleagues and friends who consider Jesus as the Son of God and disregard Mary’s sacrifice and consider her only a medium through which God sent his Son. So, my question is – in US is it the same way? Do majority of the people give importance to Mary before Jesus or the vice versa. I hope I’m not causing any religious controversy or debate here. If anybody reading this felt bad about what I wrote let me be clear that it was unintentional.

26. I love, love, love the red doors!

27. Love the red doors against the white church and then the green of a garden – just perfect, lovely find Dan!

28. restlessjo says:

Beautifully vibrant, Dan! Brings that little church to life. :)

Dan, do you have any idea,why all the doors are red? Is there a significance why that color? My eye kept being drawn to those red doors. Just something about them that put me in awe. I love the photo of the car in the courtyard with all those red doors. Awesome shot!

30. I love the red contrast…how striking!!

31. Pingback: Thursday Doors – Red Doors? | No Facilities