One-Liner Wednesday – Free

The bag is free, but there’s a $2 charge

That was the response from the Jet Blue curbside check-in guy when I asked about the fee associated with my “free” checked bag. The more annoying part of this was that it had to be a debit or credit card, no cash.

This note is legal tender...

Maybe the font is too small.

One Liner WednesdayThis post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

This entry was posted in Marketing, One Line Wed and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Free

What?! No cash tendered for a “free” bag, Dan. They should call it reusable like most places, not “Free!” :)

You could also call this post Oxymoron Wednesday. Just saying…

3. Smart technology, machine over man – “Well, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten me into.”

I can’t even. That’s crazy.

5. Charlie says:

What do you want for “free” ??? Maybe the $2 was the tax on “Free”…

Where does one even start? Ugh…

The writer in me has chewed this over and spit this out: It’s an NSA thing. There’s a $2 charge so you’ll HAVE to pay something, and you HAVE to pay with a card so there’ll be a record of it. Just my $2’s worth.

8. Shaking head. It’s a handling fee?

9. LindaGHill says:

Free is getting more and more expensive, isn’t it? :P

10. Nato says:

OH, cuz that all makes sense. On Facebook, I created an album of odd pictures, things that make you go hhhmmmmm. This is one of those things, just without the picture.

11. Reminds me of my post yesterday, Dan. Yet another example of when “free” isn’t.

The car is free. But the tires are extra.

13. Airlines are a puzzle to me. Why don’t they all get the fact that the flying public will gravitate to those who offer good service honestly?

14. Steve Weissman says:

“Buy One and Get the Second One Free! (Pay only shipping and handling.)”

I’m reliabily informed that this one is how merchandisers can avoid paying/passing along sales tax on the second item. Still stupid, but at least … rational?

15. Dan Hen says:

I also love the ” free return policy ” , and then you find out there’s a $15 “re-stocking fee”.

No cash? NO CASH??? You already know my feelings on cash, Dan, so I won’t bore you with details of how I’d have made Mr. Check-in Guy cry after yelling at him.