One-Liner Wednesday – Calories

Here’s your 360 calories

The local Dunkin Donuts has added calorie information about every item on the shelf. I chose the Oreo Cookie Cheesecake Square over the more heavily calorie laden Low-fat Blueberry Muffin. The clerk heard us laughing and delivered our items with a running count.

According to the master catalog, this isn’t a bad choice for me. I don’t ever get a reduced-fat muffin, ‘cuz, what’s the point? I also only ever get a medium coffee with whole milk, which is about 60 calories. I do like Coffeecake and Blueberry muffins, but I decided to go healthy today.

CaloriesYou can check out the entire Dunkin Donuts catalog of good-and-good-for-you stuff at this website.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

One Liner Wednesday

This entry was posted in One Line Wed, Perspective and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Calories

1. kcg1974 says:

“Low-fat?” Crazy, isn’t it??? Typically, ‘low-fat’ products have more sugar which is why there are laden with extra calories. Sad, but true. Good choice you made, Dan. Oh, but they all look so good! I enjoyed this post. A lot of fun. Thanks, Dan. Happy week to you. :)

May I take one of those Oreo cookie bars, too? Oh, I used to get cappuccinos and Macchiato coffees, which have slowly switched to adding the flavoring and Hal and half, saves almost 200 calories. Whole milk goes with Oreos, Dan. :) Happy Wednesday!

Good to know. I noticed one of those lists of calories at my Burger King as well.

4. I do think it is a good move to post that info for everyone who hasn’t made the choice yet or is trying to reduce sodium, fat, etc. But, when I step up to the counter at D&D to buy a pastry, I’ve already made the decision to enjoy and not worry about the nutrition. :-)

5. joannesisco says:

Wow – those numbers are staggering! Why is it all the stuff I love to eat makes me soft and pudgy? :/

I think that’s because there just isn’t a good way to serve celery for breakfast :) I don’t get these every day, but I was surprised to see the calories in the Plain Stick or Old Fashioned donut. I thought those would be better because they don’t have any frosting. Turns out, cake donuts are the worst because of the oil.

6. LindaGHill says:

So… they replace the fat with sugar and salt? Salt? Last time I fall for that one.

I can’t believe I’m about to type this, but an Oreo cookie square does seem like a sensible choice. :)

Ha ha – Thanks Joey!

A few months ago, before they put these signs up, my coworkers were picking on me for my childish choice. They all got Coffee Cake muffins. That’s when I discovered the master catalog of nutrition facts. They were all pretty angry when I sent my gloating email. I’m not saying it’s healthy, but if you’re going to have something, it ain’t bad. And, it tastes so good!

8. Nato says:

It all looks so yummy! It’s depressing that there are so many calories in things, nearly all things outside of vegetables too. I really think that calories should not count if you eat them while standing. I mean, doesn’t that sound fair?

9. Bee Halton says:

Oh, I want a doughnut now and I go to work soon. Unluckily, I work in a department where they produce fresh doughnuts every day…. :-). Hope you enjoyed your treat :-)

Yeah, calorie counts are all the rage now, and while my shoulder angel appreciates the info, my shoulder devil hates it. :P Ha, Dan, what you wrote here reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite columns by the late, great Michael Kelly: “A muffin the size of a softball is not breakfast. It is dessert; you are eating cake at 8 a.m.” True, but la la la, I can’t hear you!

I’m sorry Paul, were you saying something?

It’s true, but I have to think that if the worst think I do for my health is have a donut a couple of times a week or a couple of beers on Saturday (for researching for those dialog exercises) I’m really OK. If not, what’s he point? I work from the bathroom scale. When I see it inching up, I scale back. I’ve been within the same 5 pound range for the past 5 years, so I’ll stick with that plan until it doesn’t work.

11. What a scam the Reduced Fat Muffin is! I’ve been a calorie counter, and keep a running daily journal since 1998. I’m one that appreciates the change that requires the nutrition guide to be available. It has affected my choices.

How many calories in a single chocolate donut hole? I can’t make it out in the image. That would be my choice. :)

70 calories in those Munchkins. They now package 10 of them in an easy-to-go plastic cup – 700 calories unless you share.

My wife has always urged me to avoid the “low-fat” options. I think she’s right, I don’t think they are necessarily healthier.

• I think she’s right too. I eat what I want but keep the portions under control. A single donut hole would be fine for me. Just a little treat. I would only buy 10 if I were going to share. 700 calories is nearly my whole day’s calories in one go!

Argh, Dan! What have I said before about posting delicious-looking food in the morning!? No one say the word “cheesecake” around me… unless you’re handing me some. O_O

13. Unprocessed foods is the healthiest way to go…along with an hour on the treadmill. Ugh.

Your pictures have my mouth watering, Dan. Yet I have been eating so lean and healthy for so long now, that IF I ate something you have here, I would feel sick. Sad but true. Hence, the side effect of eating healthy. My body does not tolerate sugar or fried foods any more. *sigh* I do eat chocolate though, and if anyone even tried to take my chocolate from me, my LAST source of food JOY, I would probably go for their necks. A-hem. A tad strong I agree, BUT DON’T TAKE MY CHOCOLATE. :)

Got it – don’t touch Amy’s chocolate. I could support your position on that. As for staying away from things and eventually having no tolerance for them, I think that’s what happened with me and oatmeal.

15. jan says:

If you’re going to splurge I say go for it ! Damn the calorie count!

With my condition I have to read nutrition labels like never before. A visit to a donut shop is a once or twice a year treat for me.
    Here food labeling has to include the recommended daily intake percentage for things like salt, fat, cholesterol and certain vitamins and minerals. Overall those salt numbers are very scary. And hey, that “low-fat” muffin…so misleading tsk tsk Dunkin.

17. OK…I just finished my lunch and now you have me hungry all over again…….:)

18. So if you order a higher calorie baked good, but then order a black coffee, that all evens out – right?

19. How can anybody think the words Donut and Calorie Chart in the same thought? The only purpose can be to inspire even more self loathing in those with a sweet tooth. Hmmm maybe a conspiracy , weight watchers and psychologists, driving us to guilt eating so we’ll buy their services. Yep, that’s got to be it. :)

20. What an array of donuts. I’m glad I am marooned on a desert island and can’t be tempted.

21. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, I love Dunkin Donuts! When I’m on the east coast I get corn muffins and a soy latte! Even better than Starbucks!!! 💛 Elizabeth

22. Middle of the night and you show me this?!!! Smiling. Gonna go for a donut, sleep well. Fat or no fat…trumps all with…must have it!

23. I love the way you guys spell the word Doughnut. I reckon that’s why they have less calories in them than they do over here in the UK, Dan. Must say that you can’t beat the plain ones that have a huge dollop of raspberry jam in the middle and are covered in sugar. I’ve never not been able to lick my lips when eating one.

24. John Holton says:

The reduced-fat muffin has more calories and more sodium than the Oreo cheesecake square. Who do trhey think they’re kidding, saying it’s healthier?

25. Dan Hen says:

I know that this is way off -topic , but does anyone dunk donuts any more ? Sorry . I don’t like to consider calories ; it disturbs me . But good luck with the healthy choices , Dan .

Dunkin Donuts used to make a “Dunkin donut” which was a plain cake donut with a little “handle” to hold while dunking. They don’t make it any more. I do still dunk Oreos in milk – does that count?

26. Do they also text you all their offers? So far I have been to DD just once, but they keep sending me offers almost every week and text me. The latest I have is – Come try our new Too Much Burgers with 50% off

27. Dunkin Donuts is my little New England sin. I don’t care much about calories either. Once in a while is fine. I ADORE munckins, personally. They are so small they must be zero calories anyway, right?
    Besides I only drink black coffee or tea. Enjoy!

28. I meant Munchkins of course!