The Wrong 6:04

I usually schedule my blog posts to be published at 6:04 am. It’s not a big deal. It’s not significant, but it’s become a habit. 6:04 has become a habit. Blogging has become a habit. Blogging on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday has become a habit. Again, these things aren’t big deals. I’ve seen people throw a One-liner Wednesday post up on Tuesday night and I’ve seen some on Thursday morning. Norm is super considerate, allowing Thursday Doors posts between Dark O’clock on Thursday and noon on Saturday. Saturday and Monday? I just like those because I usually have time to write on the weekend.

Posting Activity

This have been pretty consistent lately, but it doesn’t mean we can’t change it up a bit.

Not this weekend.

This weekend, when I wasn’t shivering, I slept.

The good news is that I don’t have that Daylight Savings Time switch hangover I usually have on the Monday after that idiotic (it really doesn’t save energy, and the farmers don’t care, because the cows don’t care – watch this if you need proof) throwback to a time before electricity. I avoided the ill-effects by sleeping, sort of, from 5:30 pm Saturday until 10:00 am Sunday. The DST hour occurred without any notice.

Maddie

Hey, this time with me is important.

This interesting thing about being sick over the weekend, is how quickly the events in my week started reprioritizing themselves. By the time I was up and functioning on Sunday, I had actually missed the block of quality, such as it is, writing time I normally enjoy. I had also missed the quality dog time that I enjoy. According to Maddie, only one of those was destined to be rescheduled.

By the time I turned on my computer, there were so many emails in my inbox, notifying me of new posts from bloggers that I follow, that I had to delete most of them or go nuts. I have some OC tendencies, and an inbox with no unread mail is something I have to have. Otherwise, my inbox is total chaos. My inbox at work, my most well-managed inbox, has over 16,000 email messages dating back to June of 2008. If that included unread messages, I’d go crazy. Even if I wanted to read them, there simply wasn’t time.

The one blogger that I follow who was completely unaffected by my illness was Marian Allen. Her blog was in some strange state of service-provider-limbo. She was waiting for three guys to fly in and insert the key each was wearing around his neck into Blog Control. All three keys were turned, all three lights were green and Marian proudly proclaimed “I’m Baa-aack!” – Hmmm, I didn’t know she was gone. Actually, I did know, she didn’t have a Thursday Doors entry last week. You can see all of those here, but none for Marian. I noticed that on Saturday, but I was already on my way to bed. I was already adjusting those priorities.

If I take my iPad to bed with me, I can read the rest of the Thursday Doors posts. Then, at 7:30, I can watch ‘As Schools Match Wits’ on WGBY.”

Or, not.

I missed Taconic High vs. Frontier Regional. Again, no biggie. I can’t even tell you where those two schools are. I like watching As Schools Match Wits, because it’s amazing to see how much high school worthy stuff I know today that I probably didn’t know when I was in high school. I was a late bloomer. History doesn’t count, or at least it doesn’t count 100%, since a lot of today’s history questions are based on what were my current events. “What rock and roll band made their American debut on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964?Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got that.

An example of a question I would have probably gotten wrong when I was a senior in high school is the first question in this clip from 2005.

The 108th Congress convened in January 2003. When does or did the 110th Congress convene?

Nothing moving here but there’s hope for the traffic

Nothing moving here but there’s hope for the traffic

You can watch the clip, or maybe you’re one of those people that know that new Congresses convene every two years. So, 2007. I knew that in 2005, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t know that in 1972.

This wasn’t the post I was going to write for today. That post required some research and I didn’t have time for that. See you Wednesday, at 6:04-ish.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Family and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to The Wrong 6:04

Hope you’re feeling better now, Dan!

2. and there was me bugging you about business from the UK without knowing that you were ill. You should have said! I would have stopped :-(

Thanks for the welcome back, Dan. Glad you’re recovering. I’m sure Maddie is, too. :)

I was sad to hear you were sick over the weekend, Dan. I love how Maddie keeps you company and did wife or Faith give her her walks?

I am one who goes meticulously through my email (which is usually 1900 a day. I don’t know why, this is the number I see regularly.) I will save one of each of my friends, then I hope to get back to them and say thanks for liking or commenting. The ones I used to like a lot, who I don’t want to unfollow, I just delete. They don’t comment even after I push like on three of their posts and comment on one. I just feel they are meant to sit in limbo, Dan. This is a little OCD but really just politeness and routine.

I had a very busy schedule, two family birthdays and taking Micah to his classmate’s birthday party. I enjoyed “Zootopia” and posted a short post but don’t worry about commenting and just rest up and ignore this since I rambled a bit.
    Take care and drink plenty of liquids. I like hot tea since my Mom and Dad both were told when young, that “the caffeine would help them improve” and “help them rally.”

So sorry to hear you were under the weather. Hope you’re feeling better now, Dan!

6. One of the problems with being around people is the illness that sits on every door knob. Hope you feel better soon.

Sorry you were poorly. I’ll read you any time of day :)

8. I. Greenwald says:

I hope that you are feeling better. Our house was down all of last week.

BIG (((HUGS))) I know how bad a fever makes you feel. Take it easy! <3

10. Val Boyko says:

It’s healthy to get fresh perspective … Even when it involves our health. I was away this weekend and also caught a cold.
    What a good way to re-prioritize and let go 😊

Dan, it appears that you are making a recovery from your illness. Good news!

I laughed at the OCD email deleting. I do the same thing when I can’t read the blog emails for a few days. Except I make sure I didn’t miss a few special bloggers.

Yeah, you’re one of them…

So sorry to hear you were on the down side. Turmeric and ginger tea witha dash od cayenne. Take care.

13. Hope you feel better, Dan. I must say, though, that for someone who spent the weekend ill, you’ve got the energy for a funny post. Your mention of being obsessive with a clean Inbox makes me smile. I’m the same way with my WordPress Inbox. After a week, if I haven’t been able to read most posts I delete them. It does explain why sometimes I’m silent. Even on a good funny post, published shortly after 6:00 a.m. Take care.

14. Jill's Scene says:

Glad you’re back on the land of the living, Dan!

15. Hope you’re all recovered now Dan. I wish we’d just stay on this current time. I love have longer light at the end of the day.

I thought I knew why we changed to DST but was wrong. I didn’t think it was b/c of farmers. I thought it was so kids wouldn’t have to walk to school in the dark. Now that you can be arrested and your kids taken away from you if do allow your children to walk to school in some states- tongue in cheek, but didn’t I read that? Anyway, fewer kids walk to school these days so why are we still doing it?

Thanks Deborah. I’m feeling better, but still sleeping a lot and still with an annoying cough. Fever seems to be gone. DST actually puts our kids back in the dark in the morning for a few weeks. They get out of school at 2:30 – 3:30, it was already still light for the trip home. This just doesn’t work. I say, let time be time.

16. What? It’s not true that there’s more daylight for plants to grow now?? Drat! Seriously, I’m glad you’re feeling better. My parents live in Arizona, so they don’t change time at all. I change the clocks at about 6 pm on Saturday and then go to bed at the regular time, which means I don’t lose any sleep. Seems to work most of the time. I always have my posts go live at 1:05 am. :-)

17. Dan, I’m sorry you’ve been ill and I hope you’re feeling better, but I love this post. I desperately needed a reminder today about how the best laid laid plans can sometime run amuck. :) Thanks for making me smile (even though I’m sorry it was a result of you being under the weather.)

18. Hope you’re feeling better, Dan. Last week I did the unthinkable – I deleted about four thousand emails I’ve had in my inbox for the past few years (I can see the look of horror on your face). I hated the fact that they were there, although only a tiny amount were unread, but I just couldn’t catch up with them. So on an impulse, I clicked delete and they were all gone. I think I had the same euphoric feeling as a hoarder waving a magic wand and clearing her house. I can’t imagine myself coping with 16,000 emails. :o

I will have that euphoric feeling in a few years when I retire. Right now, people still ask me about things that I can often find in one of those emails. I don’t need them all, but sorting and deciding is too much work. When I go, they can all go in one swoop, Thanks!

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I see great minds think alike again; I too found I was in a rut or “following” some inner schedule and have mixed it up last week and this one. It tends to get a little hectic though. so I don’t know how long this “new” plan will work.

20. Glad you are feeling better and here’s hoping Maddie got her walks in. :-) I suffer twice a year from “Daylight Savings Time switch hangover” and curse the powers that be who don’t just leave it one way or the other. There is one responsibility about blogging, and that is trying to be a good blogger and returning favors. :-)

Thanks Judy. This got me passed the DST blues, but I don’t recommend it. I try to be a responsible blogger. I feel bad when I have to skip reading because something comes up, but there is only so much time. I try to spread it around though.

As awful and wretched as being sick is, I think it sets priorities straight. As you mentioned, there’s those habits we hang onto even though they may be bad or, at least, serve no purpose in the lange realm of life.

Too bad you had all this happen on a weekend though. But then again, maybe your weekdays don’t need reprioritizing. Anyway, I’m glad you’re feeling better. I’m sure your dogs are too.

So sorry you were sick, Dan. Certain bloggers I wonder about if there is no post for a few days. You are one of them. Hope you are on the mend….mostly for Maddie’ sake! :D

Welcome back Dan and thanks for the shout-out. Hope you’re back up to full speed soon :-)

24. Hey, I never knew you were ill. Take care and I am sending lots of love, prayers and good wishes from here.

25. Didn’t even notice you were gone, Dan, but’s that probably because I don’t read posts until a few days after they’ve been published. There’s a reason for that, but that’s another story.
    Hope today finds you much better. We don’t lose our hour in the UK until the last Sunday in March which, this year, is Easter Day. I hope the Easter Bunny is aware he’ll have an hour less to deliver the chocolate eggs this year.

26. Glad you are feeling better Dan. See, I am very late in reading this one. I always have unread emails in my inbox and I get to them eventually… most of the time.