One-Liner Wednesday – Blessings

I’ll be out sick today.”

My best freind

My best friend

I am not sick very often. Even on some days when I don’t feel particularly good, I might simply decide to work from home. That option lets me stay comfy, and helps make sure I don’t infect my coworkers. Still, when I realize that no amount of discipline is going to help me get any useful work done, I call in, or out if that’s your pleasure.

That always makes me stop and count that particular blessing of mine – paid sick leave.

I’ve worked in jobs where, if you were out sick, you didn’t get paid. Many, many people work in jobs like that today. I know people in the construction industry that, in addition to not being paid, risk being laid-off if they miss too many days due to illness.

While I’m counting blessings, let me add one more that was highlighted last week. When picking up a prescription at the drugstore, I was told the price after my insurance was applied and I was asked:

Do you still want the prescription?

My first thought was “that’s a stupid question,” but then I realized it’s not. Not for everyone. For some people, that’s a very scary question. For some people, that sets up a choice between spending on medicine and spending on anything else that might not be as important.

I work hard, and I pay a lot for health insurance. I’m not advocating any particular remedy, espousing any particular economic or political argument and I’m certainly not backing or railing against any particular candidate for office whose lines I may have unintentionally crossed (1).

I’m simply counting my blessings.

(1) Comments are open, as long as we stay civil and don’t head down any of those particular rat holes.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

One Liner Wednesday

This entry was posted in Jupiter Effect, One Line Wed, Perspective and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Blessings

I feel bad since there are many folks who have limited budgets and they don’t take care of themselves very well. Since it is warmer, I saw two the dozen (now) homeless folks out and about. I called them “hobos” to my grandson who wanted to know why one was sitting in the grass, “sunning” with a heavy backpack next to him, looking frailer than usual. I tell him my made up story, (since I wrote those characters “sketches” posts) and how life isn’t easy. I asked Micah, “What do you think he used to do?” He answered fairly accurately, “Must have lost all his money, Nana.”

2. I have 10 different pills that I take each day (some twice, one three times) plus I get given 120 paracetamol every month for “random” use. As I am over 65 in the UK, all of these come free! Many people complain about our National Health Service but I have no complaints after what you said here.

3. dalecooper57 says:

My wife is American and has Fibromyalgia, a condition which, back in the States, cost her thousands of dollars a year. Here, since her first visit to the doctor when she moved here a little over a year ago, she pays nothing for her prescriptions at all.
    I have six months sick leave at full pay and a further three months at half pay and that’s fairly standard amongst most medium to large firms here.

Three times we’ve not paid for scripts due to cost. In the Army, Moo’s nasal spray (finer for wee people) was $35, but all the other brands were free, so… Then again Moo’s nasal spray once we got to Indy and had new insurance, $152, so… And then Tamiflu with our insurance was $220-somethin, so… None of these were to keep people alive. It was principle rather than ability, and we were able to get other brands, but every one of those scenarios was a blessing as well. Good post. Quite valid.

I use an anti-inflammatory cream. My previous health insurance doesn’t approve it for upper body use. If it was prescribed for my knee, it would be about $5. Unfortunately, it was prescribed for my shoulder and it was $65. I don’t know how they justify decisions like that, but it’s the only stuff I can use to get relief (allergic to Advil).

5. I hope you’re well, Dan. Blessings indeed! There were many years when I had no paid leave at all; times when I begged the doctor to prescribe the cheapest medicine (and was stunned to hear things like “I’ve never thought about the price; I don’t know.). Yes, those things are a huge blessing.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday. If you’re under the weather, feel fabulous fast. :)

6. Challenging topic and one that I think I’ll just leave alone and wish you a speedy recovery. :-)

7. Val Boyko says:

As a Brit now in the US, its upsetting to see the cost of healthcare! I’m like you Dan, so grateful for company health insurance. Feel better soon.

8. I’m so sorry. I pray you feel much better very soon! :) <3

Can’t quite tell if you’re still sick, Dan, or if these ruminations are from when you were sick last week. Either way, I hope you feel better!

And you’re so right about paid sick days. It’s a discussion I’ve had often with my mother, who’s a nurse. If she doesn’t work, she doesn’t get paid, whereas I could take a week off for vacation or sick leave, and my paycheck is the same, right down to the penny.

However, there’s another side to the coin: She can always work an extra shift, or do one when the pay rate is higher (like nights or weekends) and boost her paycheck. I can’t. In fact, extra work effectively drives my hourly rate down. But on the whole, I’d rather by salaried!

Thanks Paul. These are observations from last week when I was in the throws of something evil. I feel much better this week.

I remember when I was in college. I worked for the Post Office. As a temp worker, the week started on Saturday, so I could never have enough hours to get overtime on the days (Sat/Sun) that had a higher base rate. Still they paid a better base wage than any other employer, so it was still a good job for a student. I’ve been through the non-exempt/exempt transition and I’ve marshaled employees through that. “You still get to work more hours, but you don’t get paid for each one…” I agree with you, I’d rather be salaried.

A very touchy and potentially divisive topic indeed.
    I’ll just say that if we’re not careful it can be very easy to forget how lucky we are and how good we have it. I truly appreciate having some terrific people in my life who are not afraid to kick my butt back to reality whenever I do forget.
    I hope you’re feeling better.

Thanks Norm. I am feeling much better. I was not wanting to divide, I just wanted to put it out there that I feel it’s important to count the blessings we have. I generally avoid controversy, but I don’t like being afraid to say something that is important to me. I figured I could count on you guys to respond as you have. This community is also one of the blessings I count.

This was a great post, Dan. When I first started having all these surgeries for my melanoma, I was told to pick up some OTC meds to counter the effects of the pain meds I was taking. I have an HSA account at work and they paid for all of it. Even non-prescription gets pricey and when you are out of work all of a sudden, little things like the cost of medicine looms very large.

Thanks Lois. OTC meds can get very expensive. I remember when I cut my finger on a power tool. The cost of saline rinse and bandages was shocking. When I left the hospital, they gave me stuff to change the dressing. I didn’t think much of it until we had to buy that stuff a few days later.

12. jan says:

I’ve also been without paid leave and it is frightening. It forces you to work when sick which isn’t good for any business.

13. John Holton says:

Feel better soon!

14. I always insist on Generic drugs when available. I was glad to see you using a product (pictured) that the company I worked for made.

15. Great post! I had a serious illness at a fairly young age (back when I was invincible) and was so grateful for both the paid leave and insurance I was fortunate enough to have. I know that many are not so lucky and can face dire consequences because of it.

16. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, glad you are feeling okay now. Medication costs are wicked! Some diseases don’t do well with generic meds & people need to buy name brands. Feel badly for those that can’t afford them. Always tried to prescribe meds that were accepted by the patient’s insurance! Have a great rest of the week! 💛 Elizabeth

17. My pharmacist asked me that question a couple of years back, when my insurance company decided my medication was now top-tier (and there was no generic equivalent). The co-pay had jumped to $450! Guess you can figure out what my answer was.

Hope you’re feeling better. Paid sick time does help. It’s easier to get well when you’re rested and not worrying about the money you would lose if you stayed home.

I have paid sick leave too, which meant I could lay on the couch for most of today. It’s hard to concentrate on work when your face hurts.

19. jolynnpowers says:

My Mother faced this very question while on Medicare… Her high blood pressure medication was 200 a month after Medicare payed their part… the medication was 400 a month or more before insurance. She lived on Social Security and a small pension so her income was very limited… She did not want to spend her 200 on medication every month so she would only take her pills every other day until she was deemed disabled at 78… so for about 10 years she was only taking half of her medications do to the cost every month…..Sad but true.

20. LindaGHill says:

All my kids’ prescriptions are paid for because they’re handicapped. But because I live on the money I’m given to take care of them and have no personal income, I fall between the cracks and have to pay for my own drugs if I get sick. I’m basically a non-person because I don’t have a job outside the home, and I’m not disabled either.

21. Val says:

While some prescriptions in England are free (ie, for people with specific health conditions; for pensioners; for people on benefits) everyone else has to pay for them and while they don’t compare to the amount of money you have to shell out in U.S., if one needs a lot of medicines, the costs can add up particularly as the prescription charge is often more than for some of the actual medicines. Before I became a pensioner and when I stll lived in England, sometimes I couldn’t afford all my medicines. When I moved to Wales I discovered that all prescriptions, for everyone, whatever age or state of health, were, and still are, free. It’s made a lot of difference.

I’m surprised that all areas within the UK aren’t the same. I dread the thought of being told that I need medicine and yet not being able to afford it.

• Val says:

Wales is a different country that shares the same monarch and partly shares the same government as England. The rest is ‘looked after’ (for want of a better phrase) by the Welsh Assembly.

22. I used to go to work sick too. It was gross and miserable, but I didn’t have a choice if I wanted to get paid. I look forward to the day when we care enough to have healthcare for all. :-)

As a mother it is heartbreaking to see my sons struggle working very hard but not in professions that either are able to afford comapny insurance benefits or simply don’t offer them. And if they are healthy and don’t take the “alternative” they pay hefty fines at income tax time. Trust me, they don’t make hefty salaries. I agree Dan. I am thankful every time I have to have a precroption filled.

It’s hard enough to know what happens. It’s harder still when it’s our family & friends. We worried when our daughter didn’t have health insurance when she got out of school. It’s absurd seeing what companies have to pay. More and more of our costs are being passed onto us.

24. I’m glad you’re feeling much better! There was a time when I was young when my parents had to make tough choices about doctor visits,and medicine sometimes it meant less food on the table or a bill didn’t get paid in full or on time.
    I count my blessings and am so grateful for our employer health insurance.

25. The stories I’ve heard of American healthcare terrify me. Singapore is very expensive too, but there are some affordable options still.

26. Hope you’re feeling better! It’s good to have paid sick leave. I’m fortunate that I have this blessing at my current job. Like you, I’ve worked in places where there is no pay for being out sick.

27. Aunt Beulah says:

Thanks for the reminder that much of what many of us take for granted is not available to everyone. A timely message for Easter.