One-Liner Wednesday – Wrong Recipe

Can you make me a Black and Tan with Guinness and Bud Light?

Black and Tan

It does look good.

I’m not a fan of Guinness, so I’m not a fan of the traditional Black and Tan, a beer mixture of Guinness and a pale beer that is poured, often with the aid of a bent spoon, so that the layers remain separate in the glass. I think the usual choice is an IPA, but almost any pale beer will do. You can also substitute almost any Stout for Guinness. I’m not sure, but I’m pretty sure substituting Bud Light for the ‘tan’ end of the equation would not be approved by the Black and Tan Board of Governors.

For those of you who are not beer fans, here are a few combinations that strike the same chord in my mind as that one:

Dunking Oreos in Skim Milk.

Making Sangria with wine and Skittles.

Making a Root Beer Float with ice cream and Fizzies.

Making Lasagna with alternating layers of meat, cheese and Spaghetti-O’s.

Note:

(1) I was going to add “for those who remember” to the Fizzies Float, but, apparently, Fizzies are still a thing.

(2) My due diligence revealed several recipes for “Spaghetti-O’s lasagna” – Feel free to search on your own if you’re curious.

(3) There are also recipes available for Skittle wine.

(4) None of my beer-buds responded to my request for a photo of a well-poured Black and Tan so I scooped one from Flickr that is licensed under Creative Commons – Many thanks to Brendan Lim.

Maybe the Black and Tan with Bud Light is OK after all.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

This entry was posted in Humor, One Line Wed and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Wrong Recipe

1. Mike Powell says:

Ah, I vaguely recall Fizzies, but definitely remember Spaghetti O’s, especially the tangy, artificial sauce they came in. I suspect that Spaghetti O’s lasagna would use Velveeta cheese rather than ricotta.

I can’t believe Fizzies are still a ‘thing’! My 2 foster brothers and I went on quite a Fizzies-kick way back when; but if we had mixrf it with ice cream – I think our stomachs would have exploded!!

I know! I was shocked. I searched to see if I could find some old advertising (no smart phone pictures from my childhood) and the first responses that came up were places where I could “buy Fizzies” – I was stunned. I remember them, and Kool Aid (which still has an official website).

• GP Cox says:

One of my brothers sent me old style poster he found in a nostalgia mag. I think I still have it, I’ll try to find it and scan it in. I think we went on that kick during our trip to Florida, ’cause I recall stopping at Stuckey’s on the our trips down and mom wouldn’t let us have Fizzies with breakfast! Imagine that!!

If you didn’t stop at Stuckey’s you stoped at HoJo’s :) I remember those trips. We traveled to Virginia every summer. Before the Interstate highways were built, it as a 7-8 hour trip, but it included stops at some favorite places for breakfast, including Stuckey’s. How could you mother be so mean?

1) No, no, no to Guiness and Bud Light, two of the world’s worst beers according to The MJ Palate Test. No.
    2) I am now hungry for Oreos and 1% milk.
    3) I would be game to testing Skittles wine, although I can already predict the outcome.
    4) I almost bought spaghetti-os the other day. Damn cold and messed-up taste buds.
    5) I had forgotten about fizzies, so thanks for the memories.

No, no, no to 1% milk! Ack – Whole milk, at least with Oreos. Whole milk is only 3% fat, it’s not cream. I’m totally with yo uon #1 though, I don’t like either beer. I tried Guinness Blond Lager, but I came down with some awful stomach bug the next day. I don’t think they were related, but they are now related in my memory. Besides, I recall an aftertaste. Let me know how the Skittles wine goes if you ever try it. I think Skittles wine might be appropriate to serve with Spaghetti-Os – just a though, let me know how that works out.

4. I like ‘whole’ or ‘original.’ I especially I don’t like anyone messing with my beer or milk. :-)

Way to be, Judy. We get whole milk from a local dairy. I always say ‘nothin but moo – I almost can’t drink anything else. They make a chocolate milk that is made from whole milk and microfine cocoa – oh my. I buy a Qt every week, but I have to stop there.

5. Guinness used to be my default beer before all the craft breweries began making dark beer. I don’t consider any brand of light/lite beer to be beer at all, so I don’t bother, and I wouldn’t want to dilute my dark with something else. One of my current favorites is Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout. SO good. :-)

Cheers,

I’m partial to lagers but not light. If I need something light, I drink Corona (or Rolling Rock). I once searched long and hard for a case of Samuel Smith’s for a friend. This was in the 90s, and it was pretty hard to find in CT.

Big fan of Guinness, Dan, but not of some of these crazy combinations. A nice, thick stout or porter needs no help!

7. Skittles wine? Hmmmm…I’m inclined to try it:)
    I’ve never tasted Spaghetti-O’s; I know that I’m not missing anything!
    Have a wonderful Wednesday.

8. I’ve not had a black and tan, I’ve also never liked Guinness beer, but my father drinks it regularly. Putting skittles in my sangria would not be a good idea. Phewy! However, I’m not opposed to fun drinks. Enjoy your day!

9. I’m not a beer drinker so I can’t comment on the black and tan. I do remember Fizzies and wasn’t a huge fan.

Anyone who would make lasagna with Spaghetti-Os and Velveeta cheese should be taken out and shot.

PS: Don’t forget the faux “apple” pie made with Ritz crackers.

10. John Holton says:

I always made a Black & Tan with Guinness and Harp Lager, another fine product from Arthur Guinness & Sons, St. James’s Gate, Dublin.

Wow, Fizzies are still around?

11. LindaGHill says:

I’m appalled to find out any of these things exist, especially the lasagne. Ugh! …I’d try the beer though. :P

Thanks Linda. I think my wife might ban my using the word “lasagna” to describe that concoction. I’m not advocating it, but I was surprised to see that it’s a thing.

12. joannesisco says:

OMG – all of these are wrong. Just wrong.
    … but wine and skittles? I shudder at the thought!

I like Guinness, and don’t mind the occasional Black & Tan, but neither one are really “my thing.” The foodie atrocities above make me wanna cry and I think they are apt metaphors for making a Black & Tan with Bud Light — what’re we, at a kegger? Gah. And these people, with their less-fat-more-sugar milk, ewwww!
    Also, this month’s BH&G features a lovely section on adult root beer floats. Makes me wonder why I’ve been wasting my life this way…

Sorry to make your taste buds quiver in fear. I’m not advocating any of these. It’s just, I tried to come up with something absurd, but when I would check, I’d find that someone actually does that. I was in a bar when a guy asked for the Bud Light Black and Tan – The bartender was all” “WTF?” but poured him one. It looked awful.

As a non-beer drinker, I appreciate you putting things in perspective with the other (less than desirable) food combos. Gross. I get it now. Thanks, Dan.

Ugh, blech, blech, blech! xP Everything on your list would be just… yuck. No. For starters, you’ll never catch me drinking beer (or even root beer) as I can’t stand the taste. Skim milk might as well be coloured water. And Spaghetti O’s for dinner should have an age limit of 7. I did laugh at the wine and Skittles though because it sounds so ridiculous! Sometimes I wonder how people think to try these weird concoctions.

OK, no invite for next month’s Lasagna diner for Wendy :) – The requested Black and Tan was real. I would point out that the same bartender who scoffed at pouring that, will serve up a signature “Orange Starburst Infused” Vodka – which is actually a pretty good seller at this place. I’ve never tried. I do like beer, but just beer.

16. Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. A black and tan needs ooomph to make it work. Bud light is like carbonated defrost.

17. I like Guinness Stout and it’s fairly low calorie so I don’t feel to guilty drinking one. I’ve never tried a black and tan though.

Yes to whole milk! We buy our whole milk still in a bottle topped with a button of whole cream. YUM! They make the best European style vanilla yogurt too. Now I’m getting hungry!

P.S. He-Man has a 6-pack of Rolling Rock in the garage for a keep-sake. It’s so old I’m sure it’s no good to drink by now.

I am a purist in some ways, but have tried lemonade mixed with a hearty beer, called summer shanty-homemade style by a guy friend. I also have added coke to bourbon making true bourbon lovers cringe, along with enjoying ” fruity ” teas, Dan.
    I like the Stouffer’s pans of lasagna made of red sauce, cheeses and meats mixed with sausage. I like the white lasagna with the vegetables in this.
    I am not really a fan of the sickling sweet Spaghettios nor ravioli in a can. My grandchildren luckily have parents who bake and cook from scratch. Instead of boxed Mac and cheese, they love homemade 3 or more cheeses macaroni and cheese, a delicious dish included with ham at Easter or turkey at Thanksgiving. :)

I like the ‘hard’ lemonades but not lemonade mixed with beer. My wife makes a very good mac & cheese, but I do like the boxed version. She makes fun of me, but she will make it for me. She cheats a little, to make it healthier but I’m ok with that.

She was very particular when our daughter was growing up. Very healthy meals then. Thanks for the comment Robin.

19. Making risotto without butter. Pfft! Why bother? Totally with you on the oreos, tho we use whole goat milk….

20. I never heard of fizzies so I have no thought on that. I usually buy 2% milk so Oreos in skim milk is acceptable. The rest is just plain wrong. I don’t drink beer so I will take your word for it.

Youhaven’t missed much not having had Fizzies. We drink whole milk and I can’t think of changing that, We don’t drink that much, and whole milk is only 3% anyway. The rest is wrong, total agreement on that. Thanks.

I can’t say I wouldn’t try the Black and Tan just because I’m a beer freak….but I’m with you on the rest of those monstrosities.
    Like a Suicide Icee. I used to make my kids stand outside the car to drink that concoction. Lol Blasphemy! 😜

I’ve never tried a Black and Tan. I love beer, but I operate in a very narrow range of lagers. I won’t hold my breath waiting for you to come up with an inventive way of using Spaghetti-Os Cheryl. Thanks!

• dweezer19 says:

I can safely say I have never had a can of spaghetti o’s in my house. Ever. There have been other low budget items but never that. Although I did have a phase in high school where I could easily wax out a can of Chef Boyardee lasagne. But I didn’t make pudding out of them ot anything….lol ahhh to be young and foolish again. NOT! 😜

22. Fun post Dan! Proves just about everything has been thought of :-) lasagna with Spaghetti-O’s??

23. Nice photo, funny blogs…I’ll drink to that! Cheers!

24. Bee Halton says:

I’d rather have the Guinness instead of the Fizzies and Lasagne instead of the spaghettis’ O ;-)!

Dan, you got an actual laugh out of me. Root Beer Float using ice cream and Fizzies. I didn’t read the other comments yet so I don’t know if anyone asked what Fizzies are. My mom wouldn’t buy them saying she knew for sure they weren’t good for me. It was after that that they discovered the artificial sweetener used was harmful. I did get to experience one at a friends house though, Root Beer flavor no less. I wasn’t impressed.

They weren’t the best tasting and, since you were encouraged to add a healthy amount of sugar, they probably were as bad for you as soda. I remember them before artificial sweeteners (Sacrin?) I’m glad you got a laugh.

• Glynis Jolly says:

Yes, that’s what it was, Sacrin. When Kool-Aid started coming out with the presweetened, my dear mother wouldn’t buy it. Turned out she was cutting the amount of sugar in half those years before. My brother and I didn’t even notice. Soda? Never had it at home. My brother and I were allowed one can when we’d visit my uncle and aunt. To this day, I have a hard time handling the carbonation. Maybe that’s one of the reasons I don’t like beer.

26. John Hric says:

While I have quaffed a good number of irreverently combined black and tans, I have never gone over to the light side of the force. at least in the beverage universe. you just might have heard a single voice cry out in terror and suddenly gone silent.

27. The Black and Tan sounds pretty good. The other recipes, not so much. ;)

28. Dan Hen says:

Sorry , Dan , but a proper Black and Tan can’t be made with Bud Lite . The Board of Governors ain’t goin’ for that no how . Ada made a Guinness ice cream float for St. Paddy’s Day —– another drink that should be banned forever . Some things are just not right !

Ah, an authority has been heard from – Thanks Dan. Even the bartender wanted to deny this request. I guess they need a “we reserve the right not to make bad drinks” sign over the bar. Guinness and ice cream? Did she drink that or did she make it for you? There might be grounds for divorce in that one :)

29. Not a beer drinker, but wine…skittles? Hmmmm…….. ;)