One-Liner Wednesday – Be Careful

Thanks and drive carefully today!

One Liner WednesdayAn hour and 10 minutes into my 20-minute commute, those were the words I wanted lots of other people to hear. Actually, I wished someone had told them that before they left for work. Coffee and donut in hand, I was, finally, only a few more minutes away from my desk.

I left for work at 5:45 am, only to run into a sea of taillights on I-91S. I bailed off and headed toward I-291E. See the problem when you live on the other side of a river from where you work, is that your “back way” choices are limited to a small number of bridges. I have four bridges, but two require making it to Hartford on I-91. One requires going north from my house, which already wasn’t an option. The only remaining choice for me was I-291. When I exited that spur road for I-84W, I was stopped on the exit ramp by a huge accident.

The accident was in the first two lanes, so the ramp traffic was merging with the right lane folks and proceeding past via the shoulder. Everyone else was using the left lane and left shoulder. A guy about three cars ahead of me sped up after passing the accident and quickly spun out in the fresh snow, ending up in the median. As I got up to about 15 MPH, I passed two more accidents within ¼ mile.

I’m not sure why so many people had problems with this snow storm. I know, it’s April, but we’ve had snow in April before. It’s just like the snow in January; it makes the roads slippery. The only difference is that it melts faster and looks out of place on the fresh blossoms.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

This entry was posted in New England Life, One Line Wed and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Be Careful

1. Snow + speed = problem for everyone. I loved Laurie, a Maine blogger, saying spring had taken a leave of absence. Now, I’m wondering how long it will be gone. Have an easy and safe commute today. :-)

That is a good expression Judy. I hope it goes back on duty soon. I guess we’re in fro some March weather for a while. It is amazing how quickly a few impatient people can make several hundred people late.

I really like Maddie in the snow. I like hearing the words Be careful out there from my CBS wake up team. A car,actually was on its hood in Sunday from flipping over which my 3 grandies wanted to get closer to, but I used a back way to get out of what might have been a long wait. Sorry about people slowing you down, Dan. Happy mid-week “pick up mood” day! :)

Maddie was so happy to see Mt. Maddie return. She’s just been laying on top of it and eating the snow. It’s crazy, but she obviously loves it, so we put up with her being a nut case. It’s always tempting to try to figure out what happened at an accident. I’m not sure what was wrong with this stretch of road. Maybe it was just because it has a major on-ramp, but I think I counted four different accidents. It was so bad, that the people who had just ended up off the highway on one side or the other, weren’t even getting attention from the police. They had to wait their turn.

Much better driving yesterday and today. Thanks Robin, and keep to those back roads when you can.

My Aunt Rose had names for these brief returns of cold weather, depending on what fruit was blooming: blackberry winter, blueberry winter, strawberry winter. I don’t know if she made them up on the spot, or if it was really A Thing.

• joey says:

It’s really A Thing, from the Farmer’s Almanac :) Blackberry winters are the only ones I know about, My husband’s grandfather knows these things. Blackberry winter is brutal and doesn’t want to let go — like ours two years ago. The blackberries did produce well that year. :)

If nothing else, that proves that we’ve been having spring snow for a long time. I felt bad for the forsythia, the little blossoms looked so sad. Forsythia Winter – that sounds good.,

Great pictures! I don’t know what it is with those people, either. It’s snow. It’s wet and icy. I wonder if they struggle with other basic concepts in the natural world.

Thanks! I thin they probably got up at their regular time, expecting that any snow that had fallen would have melted. I don’t know. I drove in through worse storms in te winter and traffic was slow, but moving safely. At least I got some neat pictures and Miss Maddie got a second chance to play in the snow.

It’s a universal thing I guess. We have the same problem with the first storm every year too – people forget how to adjust to the conditions.
    They’re forecasting a few inches overnight so I expect my morning commute tomorrow will be similar to yours.

I often think that one inch of snow is more dangerous that six or more. People think that’s no big deal and drive as if the pavement were dry. Silly! On another note, April is Distracted Driver month, which means you have to put down your donut and coffee and smart phone and pay attention to the road. Not an easy task for most of us, right?

“Distracted Driver month?” Really? That’s a thing? I can put the phone and the donut down, but keep your ideas away from my coffee. I do think you’re right about the 1″ thing. So many people would speed up and pass as soon as there was a break. So many of them ended up in the grass. I think Maddie has the right idea :)

• bikerchick57 says:

Yes, it’s a thing. We have a “challenge” at work for all employees to drive undistracted this month. I’m not sure how many people are participating as I had at least two people in my office say, “No way am I going to do that!” as they white-knuckled their smart phone.

I totally and completely understand about the coffee.

7. joannesisco says:

We seem to have the same issue with rain. As soon as *stuff* starts falling from the sky, it seems that people forget how to drive.
    Glad you made it safely. It’s more than a little nerve-wrecking when you pass accident after accident like that.

8. Hang in there Dan. I was surprised we didn’t get any of the snow (but happy). However, we’re not off the hook yet, as it’s in the weekend forecast… Hugs.

There IS something particularly galling about a spring snow. I think people react differently because they feel like, “Look, this was fine all winter long. I may not LIKE it, but I accept that it was YOUR time. But now? No. Just go away.”

There should never be snow after Opening Day. Glad you made it through safely, Dan!

Fortunately, Paul, I was able to watch the Pirates’ opener (they played on Sunday) instead of having to clear the driveway. Monday night, I was out for two hours, walking behind my snow blower. I agree, that should be a rule. It’s funny, I’m OK with the colder weather creeping in, in October, but spring starts with baseball.

10. Out here in Oregon, they don’t treat the roads, so everything shuts down with a 1/4 inch of snow. Nobody knows how to drive in it. It’s mind-boggling to someone raised in New England.

“An hour and 10 minutes into my 20-minute commute…” I had to read that a couple times. Catchy line, Dan. What a mess! And the guy speeding up after passing the accident; those drivers are the worst. All we worry about here are the drivers from Alabama and Louisiana.

12. Laughed at your hour and a half into a twenty-minute commute line. Great photos Dan. Sorry about the snow on all the spring blooms.

Forgive me, Dan, but I’m looking out at the snow falling right now and I’m glad that I’m not the only one having to put up with such crummy wintery weather. It was looking so promising the first half of March. I actually thought we would see an early spring. But no such luck. There’s still another 2+ feet left to go, plus whatever it drops today. *sighs* :(

Wow! OK, I feel a little bad about complaining now. Besides, I have a very happy dog. When do you normally get spring? June?

• Wendy Brydge says:

You’re not far off. Everyone up here knows that your flowers really aren’t safe until after the Victoria Day long weekend in May (the 23rd this year). We frequently have frost up until then, and unfortunately, sometimes after that too. I live pretty much in the middle of the bush, so lots of tree cover, and it’s not at all uncommon to still see patches of snow in the woods at the end of May. Sometimes 99% of the snow goes before the middle of May, but you can’t count on it!

I would imagine that the heavy, wet snows in the “spring” can do some damage to bushes and tree that are starting to get their leaves. After we had the coldest February on record in 2015, I declared that “I’m not going to complain about our weather.” I’ll take what we get and be happy to be here to enjoy the day.

14. That is something I am very grateful I did not have to contend with today. It is very cold, and I am not looking forward to late night little league game, but at least we don’t have snow. Better luck getting home tonight.

15. It seems so ironic….the east is getting late snow and out west we are already sweltering in heat….!! I know it’s not fun to commute in, but does look pretty!!

16. There are just too many drivers who think for whatever reason, that they’re immune to possible accidents in snow or rain. I don’t worry too much about my driving, but I do about theirs.

“Be careful” to me is that expression parents will always say as the last thing their children hear before leaving, no matter the age of the children. I’ve already told our girls to get used to it. :-)

17. Some messy commute — glad you got to work okay. Fresh snow can make people forget what driving looks/feels like. Just a supposition here, as our temps are …. okay I won’t say it. :) Just that it’s hot. Oh, but the images are just beautiful.

It’s ok. We choose to live here. Neither my wife or I like the heat. But I could do without snow in April. I think people were caught by surprise with this one (even though it was forecast)

18. Bee Halton says:

Oh dear don’t get me started on drivers and snow…. Gorgeous pictures though!

You have reminded me! There’s an ad going on in Nairobi right now about road safety. It goes: “Drive carefully. Hospital ceilings are boring.”

20. Late snow makes for great photos but people and plants are somewhat caught by surprise. Accidents on snowy and slippery raods are never fun.
    Hope your plants will be fine too. Must be like New Englanders: resilient.

21. LindaGHill says:

It’s like people set their brains to “spring” and don’t pay any attention to what it’s actually doing outside. I always half expect these idiots to be driving with a calendar stuck to their windshields . :P

22. Sounds very aggravating. Do you have to put chains on your tires or have snow tires?

23. I’m glad you made it to work safely! We have the same issues here when it rains after it’s been dry for awhile. People drive too fast, forget that oil on the roads get slick, and in several places around town water pools and one can end up hydroplaning rather than coming to stop as you intended. That was me once coming to a stop and I was going slow! Thank God no one was in front of me.

I love the tree with globs of snow, and the snow covered bird house!

Thanks Deborah. I guess drivers are the same everywhere. We forget. I’m glad you like the bird house. We just got that. We’ve never had a bird house before. Although it was designed with Bluebirds in mind, we have a Chickadee, which is fine with us. It’s not like our yard is some fancy-schmancy neighborhood :)

• Chick-a-dees are lovely, and I’m told will eat out of your hand. With Diva Dog around though I haven’t been able to manage it…even with inside. :( Perhaps one day I’ll learn the secret, and you will too!

Perhaps you’ll add another bird-house and a Bluebird will find it. Fingers crossed!

We will be doing some construction on the garage this summer. Maybe next year we can expand the housing options. I was surprised to see how quickly somebody claimed this space. I’ll bet she was glad she did when the snow came :) We put this a little higher than they recommended, to keep Maddie from being able to really bother the birds.

I think it might be a case of people don’t pay attention to driving conditions anymore. Chances are there were accidents you didn’t know about that happened in January. One thing different about the conditions in April is underneath the snow is soggy conditions, where as in January, under the snow, it’s frozen conditions. Maybe some of the lugheads think they can skim over the top like they did in January.

You might have a point Glynis. I’m not sure why we had so many accidents (apparently, there were lots and lots of them). I’m glad I got to work in one piece. Arriving late is better than not arriving, any day.

25. Wow! That was a long time to be on the road. I’m blessed to be driving against traffic when I go to work. About snow in April…it looks pretty in the pictures, but for you folks having the experience, it might not be so pretty, as evidenced with the long commute and accident.