One-Liner Wednesday – Rodent Not

Take her out on a leash.”

Maddie

“So, can I go get the bunny?”

This past weekend, Maddie, the intrepid hunter, was all over something under the wood-racks. She would circle and circle; sniffing and pawing at the dirt. We kicked soccer balls and threw Frisbees to draw her attention, but each time she went out, she took off for those racks.

On Sunday, I saw something scoot from one rack to the other. I was pretty sure it was a large mouse. Maybe a pregnant mouse. Just what we need.

I began to think about how to trap the little bugger, ‘cuz the Mrs. wouldn’t tolerate killing, any mouse and certainly not a mom-to-be-mouse. On Monday the Mrs. reported that Maddie spent about 45 minutes, circling the end rack. It was about 80°f here. Maddie was still panting hard when I got home. She finally fell asleep. I took her out at 7:30, on a leash, and there it was. Not a mouse, a baby bunny. Our backyard creature had gone from pesky rodent-invader to Heaven-sent little fluff.

That dog is going to be mostly on a leash for a little while. It’s not a problem, as soon as the bunny can fend for itself, i.e. run away from a dog, Maddie will be back in charge of the yard. In the meantime, we’ll take her for a few extra walks.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

This entry was posted in New England Life, One Line Wed, Pets and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Rodent Not

1. Maddie takes her job protecting your yard seriously, and that is a good thing. I’m partial to rabbits (who don’t eat my garden) so I’m glad they didn’t come in direct contact. Now, mice I can trap and feel no remorse. Have a good rodent fee day. :-)

Thanks Judy. Maddie is a good and persistent hunter. I was ready to trap the mice. We had bunnies last year, and they were pretty adept at avoiding Maddie. We put a few short fences around their favorite hiding places. Maddie could get over/through them, but they slowed her down enough. We just need to give this little guy a chance to get a little bigger.

Aw, yeah, Maddie wants more walks anyway, doesn’t she? :) Even when the bunnies ate my seedlings a few years back, I still loved them.

Bun-bun! I love bunnies, but poor Maddie…sequestered by a few pounds of fluff. She’s gonna be sad…

Well, Dan, those bunnies are just so cute until they begin munching on my Tulips. Yep, almost all my Tulips have been munched on. So out comes “Liquid Fence” to fend for my flowers. And I really don’t want to tell the Mrs. what the barn cats do. Nope. Not going there. I admit that is upsetting. *sigh* Nature will be nature. What can I say? Thank you for leashing Maddie for a while even though she is the Queen of that yard. :)

5. Awwww! A very uplifting post this morning Dan! Hope the Hawk doesn’t get the bunny!

6. joannesisco says:

Bunnies!!!! I have a ridiculous fondness for rabbits.

You are solidly entrenched on my Good Guys list for taking steps to ensure Baby Bunny grows up to be a Big Bunny.

Thanks. The little guy is sooooo cute. Maddie is just going to have to understand. We make it up to her in other ways. It take the bunnies a little while to learn that when they hear that door open, they need to move to cover,

7. Cody loves to chase bunnies and squirrels, and I swear they tease her by coming almost within reach before scampering away. I don’t mind their play. But what I don’t like is the fact that I know there are rats in my next-door neighbor’s yard, and I don’t want Cody tangling with one of those. Lots of times Cody sniffs along the bottom of the fence, and I wonder if it’s a bunny or a rat. Sometimes I don’t want to know – so long as whatever it is stays on the other side of the fence.

Yeah, we were very worried when we thought this might be a mouse, because it was big enough that maybe was actually a rat. I would have trapped that with no problem. Maddie chases the squirrels and a few chipmunks, but she’s never come close. I think they do tease her a bit. She’s come close to bunnies, but never close enough. I’m just not sure how far this one can run right now, it’s pretty tiny.

Didn’t you have a bunny in your yard last year? So cute–especially peeking out from the bee balm. Yeah, Maddie–sorry about the leash for awhile….

We did have bunnies last year, Lois. They “left” in the fall, not really sure where or by what means, but we did notice a Hawk flying around. We were so happy to see that the bunny real estate agent is once again recommending our yard. It’s a crazy place for a bunny. we are in the middle of 6 fenced-in yards that have free-to-roam dogs. We might be the only humans who are willing to do a “bunny check” before letting the dog out though.

9. Nice story and cute pics. Watch out for more bunnies – there might be lots more. I don’t see bunnies in my neck of the woods, mostly lizards, snails, and spider-webs :-)

10. Oh isn’t that just the most squeeeee! It looks like a very young bun to be out on its own. It might adopt you. :) Hugs.

11. By the way Dan… Let me know if you want to “be in” the mini-series I’m doing for Get Caught Reading Month. Your only effort would be a picture of Maddie or the kitties (one both all — any combination). Email me if you want more info, or if you want to see a draft of the first episode (to get a better idea of what I’ll be doing). I’m only inviting a handful of bloggers. Mega hugs!

By pursuing the comments, I notice that your readership is torn between the cuteness of bunnies and their appetite for the same things we like, though they are first to the table. It is wise to let the little bunny mature, that way Maddie will have something to chase.

Last year, I posted bunny pictures on facebook and I got a few recipes in the comments. At some point, this little guy will be big enough and fast enough to evade Maddie. She’s pretty fast, but she doesn’t fit in the places they run to hide. She also chases the squirrels and a chipmunk or two, but she’s outclassed in both cases.

13. Bee Halton says:

We have a baby bunny in our garden every year just not a dog to “protect” us :-). However, our landlady who lives beside us isn’t too keen on the fluff. We do not seem to have plants that the bunny likes :-). She though….

14. Aww, the little guy’s so cute. Glad you didn’t set a trap.

15. dalecooper57 says:

She’s a beautiful dog.
    Chris, a friend of mine, had three red setters when we were teenagers and they were all completely bonkers.
    One of them had once been stung by a wasp and any time ANYTHING buzzed past, from the tiniest fly upwards, he went crazy, charging around, crashing into stuff and wrecking the house to try and escape from the phantom wasp.
    They were also experts at stealing food; one Christmas, the sneakiest of the three managed to gobble down 23 of the two dozen mince pies Chris’ mum had made.
    Tidings of goodwill weren’t extended to him much that Christmas, from what I remember.

Ours have been pretty good. Maddie is our forth. They have all been good at stealing food, but the 2nd one excelled at that task. They’ve all started out a little bonkers but they’ve settled down. They are beautiful dogs.

16. Aww. My dogs love to chase bunnies and we have fields of them. Fortunately, they don’t catch them. Much better than a mouse, Enjoy the wildlife :-)

17. AW how cute indeed.

18. Aw…
    Your dog is gorgeous and seems a lot of fun. But this bunny is adorable. So glad Maddie agrees to take a walk away from him. Until he gets big enough to fight for his life. The picture of the bunny is really cute.

Last night, I took Maddie out for business, and we walked right up to this little guy without even noticing him/her. He’s scary little at the moment. He needs to grow!

19. Very cute, Dan. If the hawk doesn’t get it and Maddie doesn’t get it, you might just have a nice ‘bunny’ stew yourself. What’s that music I hear in the background? ‘Bri-ite eyes burning with. . ‘ Hands over head fending off the other bunny loving bloggers – ouch :o (I love rabbits, really I do, but I couldn’t eat a whole one).

Poor Maddie. Poor bunny. What a world, what a world…..

We will take extra-special care of Maddie, Plus, I keep telling her: “it’s a good thing you’re doing” so I’m sure that helps. And, oh my goodness, we’re trying our best to take care of Brownie Bun-Bun (yes, Mary’s suggestion was adopted with a slight modification). When I cut the “grass” for the first time, I will skip certain patches, i.e. the ones the bunny is eating from.

Sounds like a win-win sitaution. Good parenting never ends….

Awww, sweet “widdle wabbit” and poor Maddie was hunting “wabbits,” dear and brave Protector of the home and garden. :)

Aww, poor Maddie. Hope she gets free rein of her little kingdom again soon!

She has been getting off the leash at least a few times a day lately. There are two bunnies. One knows enough to run at first sight of the red dog. The other is still learning, but we’ll get him/her educated soon.