Spring Critters

Squirrel

Breakfast

On Wednesday, I threatened warned promised mentioned that I might share more of the photos Maddie and I have collected as the weather has turned warmer. I’m giving Maddie some of the credit, because she really has been patient with me. She loves to walk. Every now and then, as we’re waking, she stops, turns, stands up and gives me a kiss. She has the happiest look on her face, and we figure it can’t mean anything other than “thank you, thank you, thank you, we’re walking, I love walking, do you know I love walking? Thank you!

So, when I stop periodically to take a picture, she doesn’t understand. When I stop to take a picture of a bird, or a squirrel, she really must think I’ve lost it. She gives me that: “you know, that’s supposed to be dinner” look. As if we could dine on roast Sparrow. I do know people who eat squirrel, but I’ll leave that story for a different day.

Anyway, a word of warning to the birders and nature photographers that follow me – you know who you are – these are not the kind of photos you might expect from a “birding” excursion. Then again, I wouldn’t want John chasing me off the beach. These are just the random, Chickadees, Sparrows, Blue Jays, Morning Doves, Rockin’ Robin, Slow Joe Crow, a black bird I don’t recognize, a few squirrels, a black squirrel, and, of course, one more photo of Brownie Bun-Bun. Credit my wife and Mary for that name. It was a team effort.

I’ve described all the photos in the gallery, so I won’t bore you with too much stuff here. I will mention that Maddie and I typically walk a couple of blocks to Veteran’s Park. Then we walk back behind the ball fields and then up a path by a stand of trees. Then we head home. Across the street from Veteran’s Park is a Family Park, but we call that “Mitzi’s Park” because our first Irish Setter loved to go there.

As Rodney Dangerfield would say (and Maddie would concur): “let’s go, while we’re young.”

This entry was posted in Connecticut, Pets, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to Spring Critters

1. What a charming Saturday post, Dan. I admit… when I saw the word “critter” I had to read this before I got started with my weekend work. :D I’m sure you’re right about Maddie’s “thank you.” I can imagine she would have “Come Saturday Morning” playing in her head. Loved the pictures, especially the shadows — fun. Have a superb Saturday. Mega hugs!

Thanks Teagan, and thanks for the Tweet. We love watching these guys as they prepare for summer, set up housekeeping (I wish it wasn’t in our wood pile) and enjoy the neighborhood. Have a great weekend!

2. Ah, nature – it warms your heart. :-)

Nice photos, Dan (and Maddie). Spring has certainly come alive the past week, in regard to leaves popping and green grass. The temps need a little work, though. As for the naming of Brownie Bun-Bun, glad to be of service. He’s adorable!

Thanks Mary. We’re working hard to keep BBun-bun alive. Trying to teach him that he needs to move his little bunny-butt when a dog approaches. They (there are two now) seem to be getting the message. They are still so small, though.

Super snappies, Dan! Thanks for the walk — I got all the beauty and none of the worn shoe-leather. ~grin~

More nice shots, Dan. Glad you decided to post them. Ha, you talking about Maddie’s attitude reminds me of that “dog/cat diary” joke, and how the dog’s says, “Took a walk. My favorite thing!” Of course, the joke is that he writes that about everything he does, but in Maddie’s case, I can believe it’s true! I was kind of hoping this post would end with a shot of you and her playing basketball, but I guess we can’t have everything …

She’s ticked-off at me for not being able to get that ball, Paul. I have a new soccer ball for her. As soon as the bunnies get big enough to fend for themselves, she gets a present for being such a good sport.

Maddie has got to be some kind of hero for standing still while you photograph squirrels. Heck, even I chase squirrels.

7. You owe Maddie a big thank you. I feel bad for her that she wasn’t allowed to feast but these birds, squirrels and bunnies are too adorable. Brownie Bun-Bun remains my favorite.
    Like the pic of the basketball stuck in the tree.
    Ebjoy this special season, often too short. But that’s maybe why it’s so beautiful. Have a great weekend.

Of course, I am partial to the birds, Dan! I loved this collection and truthfully, my photographs will never “measure up” to the great photographers I follow. I attempt to make a few poetic or lyrical comments hoping to deflect from the photos or add to them, too.
    Your photographs show details and your prose shows humor and insightful thoughts. I am always happy to visit your critters or other post subjects. Maddie wouldn’t really tear up and eat these since my brother’s laborador retriever once found a baby chipmunk and brought it to his feet as he was reading on his laptop in his back yard. The dog felt bad because he had shook it before bringing it, actually laid it down and looked remorseful. Rich filled a shoebox with tissues and took the baby chipmunk to the Bay Village Nature Center. They said if it didn’t make it, or if it looked nearly dead, to at least know the snake or hawk would eat it. Some comfort but he tried, so did Hamlet who is also known as Hammie. Smiles sent your way and thank you!

Thanks Robin. I worked on a few of these pictures before posting them. Something to compensate for my inability behind the camera and the fact that between the Infrared Red focusing beam and the big-mouthy dog, I never had much time to set up the perfect shot. I know that some of these guys are future Hawk food, as we see him circling above the neighborhood. I think they like our yard because we have hiding places.

PS, I enjoyed the musical entrees today, Dan! I like Rockin’ Robin of course, The baby bunny has an adorable name. Tell your wife this is from your Ohio friend! xo

10. Excellent post, Dan. how did Maddie chase that ball up a tree? Brownie Bun Bun is the cutest.

11. Dan Hen says:

Nice shots , but what about the pregnant mouse ?

Great post :) So cheerful! If you’re right about all the bird names then our birds are a bit different here, which is probably a thing, like the particular colors of squirrels or the variations on poplar trees. I’m not a birder, I just enjoy nature.
    We nickname parks ourselves, too.

13. Good morning, Dan, and thanks for taking me along on your walk. I highly enjoyed it.

14. What kind of critter is that round orange one up in the tree? :-) Wonderful spring photos, Dan.

15. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, I’d say you and Maddie are in tune with nature and one another. Makes me smile! 💛 Elizabeth

16. You’re seeing some great birds this Spring Dan! I left comments on some of the images.

Aw, some kid is probably pretty upset about losing that ball. :( Hope they didn’t get in trouble too.

The bunny is adorable!

Magnificent collection! 👏🏻 uUm I think Maddie and Lee have a few things in common, if for different reasons. They are great spotters. 😀Color me envious for the black squirrel. We don’t have them here although I did see a couple in Costa Rica. Those buggers were big as small cats! BTW nice shadow, Peter. 😉

The black squirrels are a favorite around here. You don’t see them very often in CT but we’ve had them in our yard often. Muriel saw one in the yard last week. These guys don’t get very big.

18. Prior-01 says:

super delightful post Dan – the variety from your shadow to the ball in tree – ha!
    and oh my goodness – my dog says the same thing (and cody used to as well) they say….

thank you, thank you, we’re walking, I love walking, woof woof

Thanks. People who say that dogs don’t smile, never had a dog.

• Prior-01 says:

oh so true – and I need to quote you on this – ha! I found a little book of doggie quotes and I am going to make a post with them – so can I add what you just said here? (as I write this my remaining dog sits at my feet – all liked that I let him upstairs – we usually do not let them upstairs, but hey, life is short – and I think he just stopped smiling now… ha! )

19. joannesisco says:

Any photo gallery that includes a bunny is going to get bonus marks from me! <3
    … but my favourite photo is the one of the very rare round orange bird Maddie spied in the tree. Excellent stealth photography on that one ;)

Dan, what a heart warming post. LOVED your long shadows of you and Maddie. (smile) The bird you could not identify I think is a Grackle. As for the rest of your pictures, isn’t Spring grand? I can just picture Maddie straining on the leash when you stop to take pictures, looking at you as if you have gone mad. Don’t you know you are supposed to chase those critters? LOL Thank you for this humorous, life affirming post. Hope you are having a great Sunday!! <3

That little brown and beige bird sure looks like a Chickadee, but I thought they were just the black, white, and a little bit of blue ones sitting in the bushes usually.

22. Great shots, Dan…love the “long shadows” ending shot…..you have black squirrels? New one on me and have to comment on the basketball in the tree…love it!! You have to wonder….

23. Great pictures. The one you think as a Chickadee is, in fact, a sparrow. An elderly male sparrow to be precise. We have them here in abundance.The black area right below his beak can tell you if he is young or not. If the black mark is light the guy is young, as he ages the black mark becomes darker. This black mark also indicates his social and group status and ranking.

That guy certainly deserves a walnut. Very fine photos.