One-Liner Wednesday – Breakfast of Champions

Abita Amber

I do like this beer

“You want a beer with that sandwich?”

“Um, it’s only 10:30”

“Yeah, but this is Nawlins.”

“OK then, I’ll have the Amber.”

I know, four lines, but if I didn’t write them up there, I’d have to write them down here.

I was out trying to get some pictures on Bourbon Street early one morning. Not much is open, but the shops in Musical Legends Park were. I had asked the bartender if he served food. He didn’t, but he pointed to a little shop that did. He added that I could bring the food back to his bar. The rest is easy to figure out.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

The gallery contains some of the pictures I took while searching for doors. Tomorrow, I’ll share the first wave of doors.

This entry was posted in Humor, One Line Wed, Promotion, Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Breakfast of Champions

Your one liner days are so fascinating, Dan. A picture speaks a 1000 words. You take us on a journey. . .

Does it still smell like beer and garbage on Bourbon Street? It had a distinct odor when I was there in ’91.

When you were having that beer at 10:30, it was 5:00 pm somewhere in the world.

3. joannesisco says:

For a while I was a big Anne Rice fan and read most of her books. I’ve wanted to visit New Orleans ever since … especially the cemeteries.

My favourite photo is the last one. There is a sign on the left for a bar (I assume it’s a bar) called HUGE ASS BEERS – home of the Huge Ass Burgers :)

We drove by a few cemeteries, and I would love to have had an extra day to visit them. I don’t think I’ve had a fair view of New Orleans. I’ve only been twice, for the same event and mostly stayed/walked/ate/drank in the same places. I doubt I’d ever go there on vacation though, unless it’s in February. It was too hot and humid for me.

Mmm, it’s not even 9am, but I could go for a seafood po boy and a beer! :)

I haven’t had the pleasure of visiting New Orleans yet, despite being a southern partisan, but when I do, I hope it’s during Jazz Fest. Good post, Dan!

Nawlins is only 3 hours from me. I love it there–my husband, not so much. So we watch NCIS: NOLA every week……sad.

You guys are probably accustomed to the heat and humidity. I found it very uncomfortable. I walked around a couple of times, but mostly I was confined to event-related activities. I need to check out NCIS now.

7. Beautiful Dan. The last time I was in New Orleans was just before Katrina. We always love the city and enjoyed your pics.

8. LindaGHill says:

Been there! I visited just for a weekend in 2003. Loved it!

Last time I was in New Orleans was almost 20 years ago, long before I got into photography and doors. I’d love to go back there for a doorscursion now – you lucky dog.
    I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us tomorrow :-)

It’s so funny Norm. I was there 3 years ago and didn’t take any door photos. Now, I have to spend tonight sifting out the best ones for tomorrow’s post. You started a serious addiction here :)

10. Good walk down Bourbon St! I too got a chuckle out of the Huge Ass Beers sign. I guess they would go through the booze and beers selling em HUGE. :)

I was there in 84. That was during our Epic ” 6 week USA Road Trip”. We had a full couple of days there. We went for the World Fair. The theme was water.

We ate at a bar comme restaurant on Bourbon St. We both had red beans, rice, and sausages. Washed it down with beer, but they weren’t HUGE ASS sized mugs. Missed that one! :)

Looking forward to the doors!

Okay, with a title like “Breakfast of Champions”, I was hoping for pics of some good ol’ Southern comfort food. The streets are nice, but where’s all the delicious-looking food, Dan?? O_o

12. Fantastic pictures, Dan. Loved this. I’ve never been to New Orleans. I’d love to see (i think it’s called) the Garden District some time.
    But I have been to Key West and done the Duval Crawl… I imagine the smell is about the same. LOL. Have a wonder-filled Wednesday. Hugs.

13. I love New Orleans…..my wife doesn’t like the smell….one has to get past that and just enjoy it for what it is….great pictures!!

Lord have mercy I could almost smell that street. PEE-U! That is one reason why I don’t like cities. The smell. Better you then me. LOL

15. Watched “NCIS New Orleans” last night and it didn’t look quite like this, although at least you didn’t come across any dead sailors or Marines! :-) Haven’t been there since I was too little to remember and not sure if I want to go or not. But I’ll enjoy “tripin’ ” with you.

16. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, never been there, probably never will! Love your travels though, and a real look & smell of the place! Fun reading your posts! Happy Wednesday! 💛Elizabeth

17. Great photos of Nawlins, Dan. Thanks for the laugh. :)

18. I caught sandwich for breakfast… my favorite. Can’t wait to see the doors….

19. Val Boyko says:

Your post reminds me that the morning after is also an opportunity for a new beginning.

20. Prior-01 says:

your pics show views of the city we do not normally see – looking forward to the doors – and also – now I can say it correctly –
    Newlines..

21. Prior-01 says:

Newlins (sorry – autocorrect added the e)

22. Great pictures. By the way, what time of the day you love to stroll around the city? Early morning like in the pictures, or late afternoon, or late night when everybody’s heading home, less crowd on the street?

I have no desire to see New Orleans in its entirety, but I’d love to spend a few days in Musical Legends Park. Of course, this would be without the crime there. Yep, I’m a jazz fan.

If you’re a jazz fan, this would have been the time to be there. Our event was during the week between the two weekend of Jazz Fest. The official activities were weekend only, but a lot of the bands were performing elsewhere during the week.

24. bryantduhon says:

It’s Louisiana, drink when you want to.

So did you get to take in any of Jazz Fest? It can get as colorful as Mardi Gras but I love the energy of it. If my son hadn’t been in NC a the time I def would have had you look him up. He knows the BEST places to catch brunch.

Well they are always celebrating something; so, odds are if you visit again, you might land in the middle of one!

Sounds great. Glad it didn’t disappoint.