One-Liner Wednesday – Phone Problems

“#GoodNews: @ADNETTech fixed our phone problem. #BadNews: Now people can call me.”

tweetI am usually the first person in the office. I’m also responsible for the phones and the Internet, either one of which could have been causing the phone outage I noticed at 6:30 AM yesterday.

Of course, being responsible for solving the problem and being capable of solving the problem are often two very different things. Our phone system runs on a virtual computer and connects to the outside world via a virtual network interface card (NIC). Unfortunately, my friends at Stanley Tools haven’t invented the virtual FatMax Hammer, so I needed to call for assistance.

The guy who works for me, the one who actually understands all this stuff, responded very quickly. Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to get to the virtual thing to fix the other virtual thing, from within the virtual server room on his phone. That’s OK, that’s why we have ADNET Technologies. Their tech guy was able to burrow into the virtual bowels of our digital infrastructure and switch the phones from one virtual NIC to another and then reset the connection.

Yes, virtual things break, but they can be turned off and back on just like real things.

While these guys were crawling around in the Matrix, others were watching the situation on social media – because the first thing I did was tweet about it, I mean, who wouldn’t do that? They were preparing to marshal other resources, real ones if necessary, to solve the problem. All of this, before 7:00 AM, from a company whose phones were down.

Ain’t technology wonderful?

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

One Liner Wednesday

This entry was posted in Humor, One Line Wed, Technology and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Phone Problems

The poor company would be out of business if I was responsible for the technology!! Computer illiterate only begins to describe me!! :/

2. Can I just say that I “Virtually” understood all of that. I have a 3 node distributed database running on Amazon AWS that is all Virtual and is somewhere out there. It seems odd not to be able to “kick tyres (or tires)” when you need to.

Good thing you’re on the job, Dan, hammer or no. Good thing there are the IT people who don’t require a hammer…or do they?

4. Good thing the 12 year olds are great at virtual fixes. LOL

“This post brought to you by ADNET Technologies.” Good job, Dan, both with the phones and the post! They also serve who stand and tweet …

No special considerations were provided in exchange for this post. We’ve been with ADNET for over 20 years Paul, they really are pretty good at this stuff. I like that last line. Tweeting in the face of danger, I should get points for that :)

Oh, you tech guys. **Rolls eyes; shakes head.** I would be lost without our IT Dept.

Mercy.
    I, I repeat, I am the techie in our house. I, Dan, I am. Me.
    It’s so nice when the boy one comes over to do stuff. He teaches me new things so I can be a better techie for my family.
    I wouldn’t know what to do with the VPN and the woozlewarps and the doohickeys there, but I would certainly try. Yay for tech heroes!

8. I love it when our phones go out at work – doesn’t happen nearly enough. I can get so much more done when the phone’s not ringing every other minute.

9. Nato says:

Thank God for tech savvy people! I did public relations for an Army signal unit for several years and I still don’t understand some of what they did or how they would do it in places where there were no electricity or water. Glad they got you all fixed up and so quickly.

10. John Hric says:

Is it truly possible to have a real one liner about one or more virtual lines ? Is nothing sacred anymore ? Or again ? Is there a virtual pun here somewhere ?

11. Oh gosh… What a way to start the day. I loved this line ” They were preparing to marshal other resources, real ones if necessary…” That’s fabulous. Midweek hugs!

12. Technology and virtual things can drive me mad. Our system at the office is pretty good, except for the occasional day when they’re not. And then we wait for the IT mavens to work their magic. And wait. And wait. :)
    Sorry about your bad tech day.

13. It does seem like the Matrix out there sometimes, Dan, and I admire people who can not only fix things, but get them fixed quickly/on time while being courteous. I have my own Neo, my IT husband, which helps a lot of the time, although we often have to deal with companies as well. Thankfully, he can understand what they’re talking about, which often makes things go much more easily and with better outcomes for us. However, speaking of phones, this same man hates messages, so he’s never set up his message box, a source of ongoing frustration to my dad and sometimes to the rest of us. Thank goodness for texting! On his last phone, he simply let the messages accumulate until the box was full and never emptied it. The box was mostly filled with irate messages from our younger daughter, which added a whole additional level of humor to the situation.

Thanks Janet. I’m not good with voice messages, mainly because they are almost always from someone who wants to sell me something (often, a new phone system). I respond very quickly to text messages, pretty quickly to email and kinda-sorta quickly to voice mail.

14. LindaGHill says:

Glad you got it sorted out, Dan. :)

15. I have had VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol ) for years. Those nasty NIC’s tend to do their own thing at times. Glad you got help quickly.

16. Stan says:

Uh…no Dan. The bad news is not that people can call you but that you can call people :) Just kidding. Your calls are always most welcome!!

I tend to run to Verizon once a week, still having adjustments to my new phone a Galaxy number of some kind! I laugh a little under my breath because the guys point to the original businessperson, Ashley who talked me into this fancy newfangled phone. They always tell me SHE was my salesperson, so Ashley will be stuck with me until one of the guys next time sells me a new upgrade phone! :) This doesn’t really address your one liner but it addresses how I get around technology, I go to the “source” I pay every month a bill to, Dan! (Kind of what your company does to get these tech geeks to help you all hours. . .)

18. OMG, You Tweeted the whole thing! You tweeted the WHOLE THING. ALL OF YOU INVOLVED!
    Taking all that in…. Yeah, I’m not there yet. Am happy you got it resolved & r happy w/results though!