One-Liner Wednesday – Bunny Warning

“No! Don’t run toward the dog!”

We not only still have bunnies in our yard, but they seem to be getting more demanding regarding where and when they want to eat. They also seem to be getting smaller and cuter.

OK, the bunnies aren’t shrinking, but they are being replaced by smaller bunnies. We started with a bunny that we named Brownie Bun-Bun. Then, there was a smaller bunny that we named Mini-Bun. Bun-Bun has moved on, but now we have Micro-Bun.

We’re trying to get these guys to understand that they need to run away from dogs, but last night, when they were playing, they started chasing each other and ended up running toward Maddie and me. Fortunately, Maddie was on a leash, but I did have to yell at Mini and Micro to get them to run the other way.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

One Liner Wednesday

This entry was posted in Family, One Line Wed, Pets and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Bunny Warning

I used to raise rabbits back in the ’80’s, mostly lop-eared, but I had one female that looked like Mico-Bunny in color only about 3x the size. She was huge! I still miss having them.

These guys seem to like the food selection in our yard. So far, they are ignoring my wife’s garden. They seem to enjoy the grass and Plantain. Then again, maybe they’re just waiting for come cukes and beans :) We enjoy watching them. Even Maddie seems to be getting used to sharing the yard with them. She sits and watches them eat.

Micro and Mini-Bun…I love those names and they are so cute! I hope they learn to stay away from dogs and other such carnivorous animals. I know that’s part of the circle of life, but still…
    Where do you suppose Bun-Bun went? I hope the furball found a nice, safe place to live and eat.

We’re beginning to think that our yard is the bunny maternity ward. We had two babies last year and they disappeared. Then, this spring, mom was here for a while and left us with these guys. I think Bun-Bun has moved on. I see larger bunnies in other yards on my way to work and while walking Maddie.

3. I always cringe when I read about your bunny experiences. I know they are so cute, but can be destructive to the gardens and provide a challenge for Maddie. Here, we have Herbert Menninger safe ensconced in his hutch eating fresh lettuce we pick for him. He has us trained. :-)

I would worry if I had your gardens too, Judy. These guys seem to be ignoring my wife’s veggies (for now). It’s a challenge for Maddie, but she gets her walks and she has always loved just sitting outside and looking around in the evening. We’ve been sitting outside, me on a bench, Maddie on her little dog-cot and she just watches the bunnies eat. It’s really pretty cute.

4. Amazing that the bunnies are so tame! I love the black squirrel too. There are a few black squirrels in my neighborhood. Before moving to this spot, I’d never seen one in person. Have a great rest of the week. Hugs.

Thanks Teagan. We are trying to get them to understand that most yards aren’t as safe as ours. We’ve had black squirrels in our yard at times, but they’ve been in the neighborhood forever. I was yelling at that little guy to hop his butt out of the street. Have a great day!

Whew, squirrels, dogs, bunnies, and birds — quite a menagerie, Dan! You can charge admission pretty soon. In the meantime, we have your great pics. Thanks for sharing!

The abandoned house hasn’t has its grass mowed all YEAR, so bunnies no doubt live there. Other bunnies live in the back 40 with the horseshoe set and still other bunnies live back there under the fir tree.
    We still have our squirrels coming to dine at the tree and now we have robin fledglings in the wreath by the door.
    Sadie’s dying. She’s dying to catch a bunny. We have to watch the door now, she’ll bolt. *sigh*
    I love your little black squirrel, don’t see those here :)

Maddie will sit and watch the bunnies for upwards of an hour, but it they run, she wants to chase them. I guess it’s instinct taking over. I keep telling her these guys wouldn’t make much of a meal. The black squirrels are a toss up for cuteness with the bunnies.

Such cute little guys, Dan! It’s nice having them hang around, isn’t it? I am, of course, partial to the squirrel though. #SquirrelLady

8. So cute. My dogs are tough on bunnies too…dumb bunnies for a reason. :-(

9. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, your yard is a Bunny Safe Haven! You look out for them. Keep telling them to run away from dogs! I miss not seeing wild animals where I live. Birds yes, but no little critters! 💛 Elizabeth

I love that you have named these little ones–and I love the names! The little squirrel photo is adorable. You got all cute on us today, Dan!

11. Val Boyko says:

I have several hilarious and sad bunny memories! All relating to dogs.
    We have 3 terriers … say no more!
    I’ve tried yelling “No! Don’t come into our yard!” but it doesn’t seem to work either.

12. I love your animal photos. These are no exception. We found a Jack Rabbit in distress last week. We called the animal rescue. They thought it might be a snakebite. They took him to the rescue for a try at rehabilitation. I have to check and see how he’s doing. (I suspect not good)

13. jolynnpowers says:

cute cute cute I want a black squirrel at my house too!

14. When we lived in Cleveland, the deer were more destructive than the rabbits, and the chipmunks would climb the tomato stems and eat my tomatoes!! A few years ago, we were walking around the lake on the paved path and saw a very tiny bunny munching away Unfortunately, he wasn’t at all afraid, so we wondered how long he lasted. :-(

15. I love the names. Now I miss Hansen Pfeiffer.

16. Cody loves the bunnies – they’re so much fun to chase. There used to be a huge mommy bunny – but she disappeared (there is, however, an animal carcass in my next-door neighbor’s yard, in the tall weeds behind the pool). Anyway, I was afraid there wouldn’t be any more bunnies, but then a week or so ago, I saw a baby bunny running through the yard (with Cody right behind it, of course – those baby bunnies are FAST!). Cody and I are both happy that at least one of the babies survived.

I love the micro and mini bun bun’s. The first Brownie Bun Bun just was a precious name, now you keep adding even cuter names, Dan. I like all the collection of photos and think patient Maddie deserves a chewy or milk bone. :)

18. The bunnies are so cute! I’m glad Maddie was on the leash when they ran toward her!

Oh my I love your birdhouse! That House Sparrow looks lovely there with the side portrait.

Thanks Deborah. We’re very careful about when we let Maddie off-leash (she actually does so much better on the leash, and she doesn’t seem to mind). The Sparrow is one of two that either live in that house or are fighting over it. The weird part is that we’ve been buzzed by them when we’ve walked too close to the house. I’m tempted to post a lease on the side, just to let them know that we’re the landlords here.

When we first moved into this house in 2008 and for the year that followed, we has cute bunnies visiting our backyard nibbling our grass. We jokingly thought about attracting more into our yard so we wouldn’t have to mow so often. But then Jake, the grandpa of our outside feline brood, got curious about us and started visiting at our deck door. His presence scared the bunnies away.

20. LindaGHill says: