Thursday Doors – Random DC Doors

Union Station

Entrance to the elevator in the main hall of Washington Union Station

Thursday doors with a difference. Actually, if you’re counting, there are two differences today. First, as the title implies, today’s doors are more of a random collection of doors that I liked, rather than doors with a history that I understand. I have some of those doors, too, but I don’t understand them yet.

I was in Washington, DC – our nation’s capital – last week for a series of meetings. I had medium length walks to and from the Metro Stations, and I had a little bit of time between meetings. I explored the streets along my route, and, when everything wrapped up on Friday, I did a little sightseeing. DC is a wonderful city. It’s full of history and art and construction and demolition and heat and humidity and rain. In addition to a few places worth studying, I snapped a bunch of doors that just caught my eye. That’s what you get in today’s first gallery. Some of those doors are from places I ate. That leads me to the second difference.

Today’s second, and smaller gallery, contains a few food photos. These are for the women who have been calling me out for talking about eating, but not showing pictures. If you need proof of the fact that I eat, I could include a shirtless selfie…no, I didn’t think so. Anyway, despite feeling very self-conscious doing it, I took a few food pictures. One photo has been included especially for Marian, since it also serves as proof that I eat Kale – YES, I said Kale. Don’t look for many food pictures in the future, as I either never think to take them, or taking them would make me, or others uncomfortable. I didn’t included a photo of a sliding door in a dimly lit dining room, because there were too many people in the photo. I was eating pasta with a ragu that included Broccolini – yes, Kale and Broccolini in the span of three days.

This post is part of Norm Frampton’s fun and exciting series: Thursday Doors. If you want to get in on the fun, all you need is a door, a photo of a door, a painting of a door or a story about a door. Norm seems to allow gates and portals too, and, “Thursday” means “sometime before noon on Saturday.” That’s how they roll up in Canada. So, hop on over to Norm’s. Once you look at Norm’s doors, you can look at everyone else’s doors and, maybe add your own. Norm also made us aware of The Story Behind a Door challenge this week.

This entry was posted in Photography, Thursday Doors and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Thursday Doors – Random DC Doors

1. A very grin-inducing post this week, Dan. I like the crane too, and kale. And all the doors in between. Cin cin!

2. joannesisco says:

The crane made me laugh … and yes, I too consider any entrance way a *door* :)

The big columns flanking the arched door saved the Pepto Bismol building … or maybe it’s simply the little angel overlooking the doorway.

Can I please have some that chowder? It looks delicious indeed!
    Very heartwarming photos, Dan. I love the arch door. I even love those pillars!
    One of our clients, a former politician, is putting up a tremendous house with very giant pillars. Although I’m in charge of electrical designs and installations, I keep looking at those pillars and wishing that I could build some for myself.

Thanks Peter. If I had known that the chowder was in a tomato-based broth, I might have passed on it. I’m very glad that I got it. It was a great combination. If you like columns, stand by for an upcoming post (week after next maybe) from the Building Museum – lots of columns there.

4. At least you included one beer. :-) The doors are wonderful. The elevator is historic, the church is beautiful, and the firehouse is handsome. I’ve been to DC several times and have never ceased to enjoy the repeat visits. Whatever your political affiliation may be, Washington holds a lot of the history attached to our Country, and it is always a humbling experience. :-)

That’s so true, Judy. I love walking around the city. Your comments mirror my decision making process for including those doors. I started out with way to many, but ‘historic, beautiful, handsome…’ Pretty much the way I got here. I figured if I was doing food, I needed something to wash it down, and only one crane (although I have lots more).

The corned beef and cabbage alone makes me want to take another trip to D.C. Thanks for that food photo.

Nice doors (and crane), Dan. My favorite is that of the red doors at the firehouse. Who can resist red doors? I will definitely have to find my way to Union Station and Fado’s next time and pay attention to the doors.

Thanks Mary. You might want to look around, I think Fado’s is a chain. I saw one in Seattle. I like the fact that the cabbage stands on its own and is kinda crisp.

Firehouse doors are the best. I can’t pass by without snapping a few.

Great doors, Dan. Yes, glad you included the ‘doorway’ to Chinatown!

Four points:
    1. Great doors! Great food pics! Everything looks delicious (the food, not the doors).
    2. Thanks for the shout-out and the food pics!
    3. I wouldn’t have been able to resist Clyde’s Chinese restaurant!
    4. I thought they used paper cranes in Chinatown.

It wasn’t a Chinese restaurant, although that’s what I expected. Everything in Chinatown has bilingual signage. It was basic pub-fare, but pretty good. Yuegling on tap and Kale in the pasta. And that amazing chowder.

The one with the oversized hinges and St. Mary’s are my faves in a lovely collection this week Dan. It gives me the urge to go back to DC.
    BTW I think the beer cancels out the kale ;-)

No – I get full credit for eating Kale, Norm. And don’t forget, Broccolini in the same week! I get a green star.

I love that door with the oversized hinges. I wish I could have gotten more/better pictures of St Mary’s, but traffic was awful, with a bus coming by ever 15 seconds, and I couldn’t get enough of the building in from the other side.

Your sense of humor shines this morning, Dan!!! And a good morning it is! LOVED this post with the random doors and I too laughed out loud when I saw the crane. As for kale …. shivers … no can do. It is SO bitter. I’ve tried it cause I know it’s good for me, and nope, chose not to gag as I chew. Lucky you to be able to travel …. lucky you!!! <3

Thanks Amy. I try to make the best of travel. It was a hectic, hot, sticky-humid week. I changed clothes often and I brought home a pile of laundry. When I dumped the stuff out of the plastic hotel laundry bag, the pile retained the shape i the hamper. I owe the Mrs. big time for this trip.

A little kale isn’t bad, as long as it’s in something. I actually have a harder time with the Broccolini because it stands out more.

• AmyRose🌹 says:

First of all, God bless the Mrs.!! Second of all, no amount of encouragement will get me to eat kale. I’ll do Broccoli (not sure what Broccolini is) and in fact I really like Broccoli. Lots of veggies I like but kale, um no.
        Have a really great weekend, Dan!! I’ll see you again next week. I’m going to try to finish getting all the remaining plants into the ground (which is rock hard due to lack of rain) and play hose marathon watering said rocks, and of course get out to Chestnut for my sanity check. I also have to break down soon to shampoo all rugs in house. My cats since Prinny’s death have asked no shampooing but this human is getting to the point um I must clean said rugs. They seem really stable now so I think it will be OK. Prinny’s smells are on the rugs … and smells mean the world to cats. :) <3

10. More greatness, Dan. I was interested in the Teamsters Hdq. since in college I worked as a driver in a movie and was a Teamster for a month. I was missing a bunch of money in dues and never got any benefits. (Of course, the filming company kept food and drink available at all times.) Lovely post

11. Val Boyko says:

Thanks for sharing so many interesting doors AND food 😎

12. Yum… It’s going to be hard to hold out until lunchtime after the food pictures. This is a great collection of doors. Sorry about the rain and humidity. It sounds like you were fortunate and didn’t have to contend with any of the ongoing problems with Metro. Have a thriving Thursday! :D

Thanks Teagan. I did have to walk around one “Safetrack” delay. I guess I could have waited, but as the crowd grew and grew less civil, I decided to walk. Thursday night was the worst. I walked to the Metro Station in the rain. I had an umbrella, but… When I got to the hotel, my sport jacket was soaked. My shirt was dry but my undershirt was soaked. I’m not sure how you guys live there. Someone told me “it isn’t bad yet, you should come in July.”

I like that portal with the crane — very nice. BUT THAT FIREHOUSE!!! Love that one!
    I’m impressed with your consumption of vegetables. I had long wondered if you lived on pastries, coffee, and Yuengling alone… I’d enjoy some corn beef and cabbage right now, but all I have is coffee and a danish :)

Thanks! I should brag about the healthy stuff I eat. Mostly the Mrs. puts it in front of me, but I have my share of salads and healthy grains and junk like that. I think I could live on “pastries, coffee, and Yuengling alone” with the occasional order of wings thrown in, but she wants to keep me alive for some reason.

I had a bunch of firehouse doors photos. Maybe I’ll toss another one into a future post.

14. What a great firehouse! I love those red doors, and the black door with red stone and those columns are my favorites this week. I like the shadows in the upper floors of the building you photographed in the evening, and you cracked me up with the Gateway to Chinatown and crane!
    It’s an entryway! The wood door in the stone archway at St. Mary’s is very pretty!

A great collection this week!

The food! Crab chowder sounds really yummy to me right now. There’s always bonus points for eating your veggies! :)

15. jan says:

Quite a variety. If you discover a passion for broccoli we have a good recipe for a clam and broccoli ragout!

16. Great pictures and post, sans history. However, it is a welcome change to add food pictures. Your beef picture reminded me of my recent beef disaster, but I also have a question. I and Sarah watch many documentaries and movies and we often see food without rice. I mean just meat, vegetables and garnishing. So the question is how often rice is a part of the meal? In India, rice is a staple diet and you can’t think of a meal without it.

17. Candy says:

Thanks for the “door tour” of DC ;-)

Awesome doors! I’ve been to DC once. It was so stimulating. Love the food shots and you knew just who needed to lead the parade. 😉

19. Prior-2001 says:

Yes – beer is food! Ha
    And the st Mary’s door is my fav – also the pink one you know nothing about!
    And I had to laugh (feeling silly maybe) but when I was reading – the one sentence made it sound like you “ate actual places” – ha!
    And I hear ya on taking food photos – it can be kind of tacky – and well – not or everyone. If I get food photos while out – I try to do it quick and with some manners – but gray area – interrupts eating and draws attention and could be tacky –
    Ok – have a good day D!

Eating actual places. Godzilla’s photo stream :)

Thanks for agreeing on the fact that beer is food. Im pretty sure I could survive on it and maybe HoHo’s.

• Prior-2001 says:

Whoa oh – there goes Tokyo!
        Ha – side note – when my son was little one of his favorite books was called “eating the plates” and it was a fun little reader about pilgrim life – and said everyone had a light beer at dinner – it was the safest drink (purified from the brewing)
        I am sure it was a low alcohol hoppy version- hmmmmm

Washington DC had some excellent doors you displayed which each are so unique, Dan. I liked the elevator doors and Clyde’s a lot! :)

21. DC is a great place to explore. I like the foods there too, so many restaurants from around the world. And lots of doors! :-)

22. Nice collection of doors! One of these days, I’ll take some door pics and participate in Norm’s challenge. The food looks delicious, especially the cabbage and corned beef. I like clam chowder, so I envy your crab chowder.
    About taking photos of my food, like you, I’m not inclined to do so. However, my grown up children snap photos as if that is something you’re supposed to do with each dining experience.
    Have a pleasant weekend.
    Oh, I’m not sure how much time I’ll spend at my blog, but I’ll be sure to pop in here!

23. Nice collection; I liked the door with the oversized door hinge, beer and food (maybe not in that order) :)

24. Pingback: The Loyal Doorway | Wired With Words