One-Liner Wednesday – Meetings

Every time you cancel a meeting, an angel gets their wings.”

I don't mind conference calls as much as meetings.

I don’t mind conference calls as much as meetings.

I have to give credit to my boss for keeping most meetings short and to the point. Many years ago, he introduced a rule that says” “you can’t speak about a topic at a staff meeting that you’ve spoken about before, unless there have been significant changes.”

Without a rule like that, some people will drone on until you’re in danger of drifting off or until you start trying to play Trivia Crack, under the table with the sound off.

As you can guess from the gallery, when I get really bored at meetings, or during breaks, I like to take some pictures.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

One Liner Wednesday

This entry was posted in One Line Wed, Working for a living and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Meetings

Looks like you enjoyed THAT meeting, Dan!

2. joannesisco says:

I smiled at the adult beverages. I long held the opinion that meetings would be so much more interesting if we had an open bar, but the Head of HR (my best friend btw) didn’t concur ;)

You have meetings in bars? Awesome! I would suggest that to my boss, but I know what the answer would be. I could see how it might be interesting, though, and the commentary that might arise after a beer or two.

4. Val Boyko says:

Nice shots. I do like your mug Dan!

5. Great and useful rule your boss has, Dan! I’m also a photo taker no matter where I am. Those margaritas sound quite tasty!

6. I think I would have liked your Boss and his thoughts on meetings. :-) The two best things about retiring are no conference calls and no meetings. :-)

I really like that line and intend to borrow it frequently from now on 😂
    Oh if I could have back all the time I’ve wasted in unproductive meetings….
    Meetings can be very useful but it does take someone with an iron discipline to keep them on track and prevent them from turning into complete time vampires. The adult beverages afterwards are often not a treat but a downright necessity😏

Bahaha! I always did love a canceled meeting! A canceled most events, really :)

9. I like the rule, Dan. Anything to keep meetings short. I probably spent a year of two of my life in tan conference rooms. Meetings in a bar would have been a nice change in more ways than one! :-)

Oh, man, I like that thought, Dan (though being a politically incorrect editor, I would change it to “his wings”). Despite being an extrovert, I dislike meetings. I know we need SOME of them from time to time, but too many people (most of whom like to hear themselves talk) measure their so-called productivity by how many meetings they attend.

I like my meetings like I like my government — as small as possible. So, let’s adjourn, pour the coffee, and get to work!

L’il Guard Duck! I love it! The post title cracked me up, Dan. I like meetings held in restaurants. Especially if there are adult beverages involved.

12. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, great to follow you & your camera wherever you go! Fun meeting pics! 💛 Christine Elizabeth

Meetings short and to the point? I have no idea what you are talking about. You sure do have some fun meetings, though!

14. John Holton says:

Life is too short to waste it in meetings. Mary started a ministry at church, and the first thing she decided was meetings were optional.

Do you read The Cooper Review? (http://thecooperreview.com/) It’s a satirical business blog. Sarah Cooper has a book called “100 ways to appear smart in meetings” that’s pretty funny.

15. Stan says:

Our culture has delivered us to a place where we expect to be entertained, coddled and spoon-fed. It’s telling that this post and comments mention little to nothing about attendees responsibilities. Want better meetings? Try preparation, showing up on time (that doesn’t mean 9:00 for a 9:00 meeting), active, constructive participation, and the list goes on. As you doodle at the next meeting, think about what your responsibilities are and how you might better contribute to a successful experience.

16. Dan, I’m getting the giggles, imagining your hijinks at meetings. Loved the quote. It’s meeting mania around here. Hugs

Oh oh the speaker must have been a droner. I laughed out loud when I saw your pictures, seeing you taking them on the sly. LOL You are just too much!!!! Thanks for the laugh!! And OH! I saw and read the post about you and your daughter on bikes. I really enjoyed reading about your love of bikes as I have a similar one. Just wanted you to know I did read it!!! Hope you are having a great day! <3

Lol! Is that really beer and YOGURT? 😝

Ummmmm…..I think I might prefer the beer..😜

Thankfully, in my business, I’m both Boss and employee, so I never have to worry about boring meetings that drone on. (Though I CAN drone on and one to myself sometimes, believe it or not… :P) Have to say, I’m diggin’ that Egyptian sarcophagus on the wall of the library though!

21. Love the duck mug. I think the spilt wine is closer to you than anyone else.