In and Interdependence

Squirrel

Looks like he’s going to hang out up there for a bit.

Since I tossed in an extra post, and since today is a holiday in the US, I’m going to go easy on the word count. I heard that “phew!

The gallery below includes a few photos from my recent walks with Maddie. She’s pretty patient as I make her wait while I take these pictures, but I think he wonders why we aren’t trying to catch the animals we encounter. I tell her that we share this place with them, and that that’s a good thing.

Happy Independence Day to those of you in the states.

This entry was posted in New England Life, Pets, Photography and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to In and Interdependence

You and Maddie had a great walk. I don’t often see so much wildlife here anymore – way too crowded with people now. Sad.
    (How could you hear my PHEW??? I try to be discreet…)

Happy Fourth of July to you, Maddie, and the entire Antion family. Enjoy your holiday!

For a minute there I thought that was the bunny from your backyard, and I thought, “He’s huge–what are they feeding him?” Great pictures. Happy Fourth, Dan.

4. cwaugh212 says:

I love the squirrel hiding on the tree. Happy 4th to you.

This truly was a fun post, Dan! I tried twice to get good and clear photos of birds and creatures while up here with Mom. It isn’t as easy as most people may think!
    The funny thought of Maddie’s wondering why you aren’t releasing her to capture those critters is how I used to think our lab mix dog must have been thinking! :)

6. Heartafire says:

Beautiful photographs Dan, Maddie is beautiful as well. Have a happy 4th of July.

7. joannesisco says:

Your walks are really eventful. I see a few squirrels, but not much else. The flowering cactus is lovely!

Hope you’ve been enjoying your 4th of July holiday!

8. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, a fun post! Love to see your wildlife photos, and pics of Maddie! You both are so much in tune with nature. You even know what Maddie thinks! Have a happy & safe July 4th! 💥 Christine Elizabeth (CE)

Thanks Elizabeth. Maddie is pretty easy to figure out, and she lets me know what she wants. She indulges me my photographs, but I don’t think she understands.

• C.E.Robinson says:

Maddie knows what the camera means, and your tone of voice and your talk while you are out with her. My dogs are pretty tuned in when we’re out for our walks. Always on a leash! They are still animals and instinct can take over! The tail wagger Charley sees another dog, a bird, or a small kid and he tugs at the leash. He wants to run & play! CE

9. Always enjoy these walks. Thanks, Dan

10. What a great variety of wildlife you see on your walks. I hope you get to see the Downy Woodpecker again. I don’t see those often.

Happy 4th of July to you and yours!

Thanks Deborah. We haven’t seen the Woodpecker for a while. My wife also saw a Baltimore Oriole last week. We haven’t seen one of them in a few years either. I hope you had a great weekend.

11. I always get excited when I see a squirrel. Probably because it means I’m in another country. They’re so funny. Happy Independence Day to you Dan! (If it still is…it’s not here…time zones… argh.)

Thanks! I see squirrels all the time, but I till get excited. They’re such crazy little animals. We have a few more hours to go, but work tomorrow, so bed in the not too distant future.

Man, I hate it when the Downy Woodpeckers won’t pose for me! Good shots, Dan, as always. Hope you had a happy Independence Day …

Thanks Paul. I tried my best Woodpecker call, but it sounds more like Woody than real.

We had a good weekend and I caught some of the fun on SyFy – I hope yours was good. It looks like you were busy during the marathon.

13. lauramacky says:

ahh…the pictures made me think: “isn’t life grand?”. :)

14. Great pictures of wildlife, Dan. Maddie must love those walks.

Word count? Photos speak volumes…and who’s counting anyway? Looks like a great walk Dan.

A little late now, but a happy belated July 4th to you, Dan. (Sorry, late on leaving a comment this time.) I enjoyed this post because I’m always grateful for an excuse to look at pictures of squirrels. We just have the little red guys here, but I don’t discriminate when it comes to them — I like ’em all! If I may weigh in on the bird though, that’s not a Downy Woodpecker, but is an Eastern Kingbird. :)

Thanks Wendy, for the comment, the holiday wishes and the name of the bird. I will correct that at some point. I know that the Downy woodpecker has some white on its head. I thought, maybe the bad photo was hiding that, Easter Kingbird it is!

My wife adds her thanks for the bird identification. This one is new to us.

• Wendy Brydge says:

Glad I could be helpful! I have seen a few Kingbirds, but they aren’t plentiful here, so that’s neat that you have one around. Downy Woodpeckers, however, are pretty common in the north. Cute little speckled guys with more of a black mask than a black cap!

The guy hoping for nuts looks really humble in that shot. You should have carried some for him.

Pssst….they love blueberries too!

19. Dan Antion says:

Seriously? Squirrels love blueberries? Who knew? Well, Cheryl, of course, but…

Nuts are practical but even the sqyuirrels like a sweet treat now and then. 😉