I have been waiting for Cee’s Fun Photo Challenge on Signs for a few weeks. I love signs. On the other hand, I really try not to post more than four times a week. Luckily, my entry this week for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday, is kinda-sorta related to signs. Well, at least some signs. Warning signs.
“No injuries – Mom had a fire in her microwave cooking spag dinner – micro is toast – more info via email later”
In case you’re interested, or if you have elderly, young or not-too-safety-conscious loved ones around, you might want to share a few of these tips from the National Institutes of Health:
Never attempt to heat articles that are not approved for use in microwave ovens.
Remove food from packaging before defrosting in a microwave oven.
Never use recycled paper products in microwave ovens unless they are specifically approved for microwave use.
Do not leave a microwave oven unattended when microwaving popcorn.
If you have a fire in your microwave oven, turn it off immediately. This will stop the fan so it won’t feed oxygen to the flames. Then simply wait until the fire suffocates. Never open the oven door until you are absolutely certain that the fire is out. If in doubt, call the fire department.
That is an abbreviated list and some items have longer explanations. Click the link to see the entire list of: Fire Safety Tips for Using Microwave Ovens.
As the text message says, Mom’s microwave is at the curb, awaiting the garbage truck. A new one has been installed and sufficient warnings given. Mom’s apartment still smells like burnt plastic and one of her neighbors is still mad because she had to evacuate during her card game. She was certain that she was holding the winning hand.
Please enjoy my collection of warning-ish signs in the gallery below.