What’s the Deal?

For the love of beer

The perfect place and beverage to share some casual conversation.

If we were having a beer, you would have some questions for me.

“So, what’s the deal with this Cherished Blogfest of yours?”

“Hi, it’s good to see you, too. Would you mind if I ordered a beer?”

“Well I sure wouldn’t mind; he’s been sitting here for 10 minutes sipping a glass of water. He says it’s your turn to pay.”

“Hi Cheryl. OK, a Yuengling and a splash of the grape for him.”

“That it, isn’t it? Is your cherished object going to be a mug of Yuengling?”

“No. I like Yuengling, but I don’t cherish it. I might cherish it if I lived in a state where you can’t yet buy it, but…”

“So what’s the deal? What’s your object, and how did this become an annual thing?”

“Here you go boys. I’ll leave you to your discussion, but I happen to like the Cherished Blogfest. In fact, I’m one of the co-hosts.”

“Whaaaat? Has my whole world gone mad? So what is it that you cherish, Cheryl?”

“Hmmm, I’d say a hefty bar tab and a nice tip, but I haven’t seen one in a while…just sayin.”

“Ouch. I think that’s on you. You did pay last week.”

“OK, OK, I might have been a little thin on the tip. I’m not that good at math. But…”

“Not good at math? You’re a financial advisor. I’m sure your clients will appreciate knowing that.”

“OK! I’m cheap. Financial advisors understand that part of the secret to having money is to not spend money. Anyway, can we get back on track here? What’s your cherished object?”

“I haven’t decided, but it’s not the almighty dollar.”

“It’s your bike, isn’t it? No, you wrote about that a few weeks ago, you really like that thing, but you wouldn’t write about that again.”

“It’s not my bike. Why don’t you just wait and see? The blogfest starts in two weeks, it’s not like you have to wait forever.”

“I don’t like waiting to see things. I make my living predicting the future.”

“Yeah, but I don’t think anyone is wagering on the kinds of topics people cherish.”

“Wagering implies gambling. Investing is not gambling.”

“Sure it is, you just understand the odds better than most people.”

“Ok, let’s forget about me, let’s forget about gambling, and let’s forget about you and your cherished object. How did this ‘blogfest’ thing start?”

“Last year, the woman who first organized a writing group I belong to had this idea to give our respective blogs a little more exposure, by organizing a blogfest. It worked well. I discovered several new blogs that I am still following, and I met some people who are now following me.”

“Sounds like you’re artificially increasing the interest in your writing. That kind of thing is dangerous in my business. There are laws against that.”

“Nothing artificial. Write a post. If someone likes it, they can come back for more. If not, they move on. No harm. No foul.”

“It’s an interesting topic. If I want to join, then I have to create a blog?”

“Well, that would be the easiest way to go. However, if you wanted to just write about one cherished object, I’d stick it on my blog. The blogfest goes for three days.”

“So I can post without having a blog?”

You can, but only because I’m making you this offer.”

“What’s that going to cost me?”

“The next round, and a healthy tip for Cheryl.”

“OK, I’ll think about it. How much do I have to write?”

“You’re going to want to keep this under 500 words.”

“Under 500 words? You’re participating in this? I’d buy the next round just to see you stay under 500 words.”

“OK, let’s make a deal. If I publish a Cherished Object post, and stay under 500 words, then you buy all the drinks the following week.”

“And, you buy them from me, and you leave me a nice tip.”

“OK Cheryl. It’s a deal. If my long-winder friend can stay under 500 words, then I will drink, pay and tip.”

The photos in the gallery are some of my favorite tools. I’m not sure any are cherished, but, you never know.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s and my periodic conversation at the bar. Linda’s prompt this week is:

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “if/then.” Begin your post with the word “If.” For bonus points, end your post with a phrase containing the word “then.” Enjoy!

I think I scored some bonus points!

You can join Linda every Saturday. You can also join the Cherished Blogfest. It’s free to everyone but my buddy. Click here to learn more.

This entry was posted in If having a beer, SoCS, Tools and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to What’s the Deal?

1. I have one tool that was my Grandfather’s. It is an awl. It has a green handle with a metal cover on the end. I smile every time I use that awl. :-)

That was quite the inventive and sneaky way to plug the CBF. Excellent! Now, go have another coffee because it’s too early for beer 😜

3. Happy Saturday, Dan. I expect you would find that at least one of those tools were cherished. Plus I’ve no doubt that Mimi is. Okay, so maybe she was only *with* the tools, and supervising, but…
    Mega hugs =^-^=

Oh, ho HO. So the Saturday SOC has been hijacked to promote the CBF, eh, Dan? I suppose we’ll have the Wednesday One-Liner: “You really ought to join the CBF,” followed by a Thursday Door you were walking through while contemplating what you plan to write about for the CBF. Then the cherished item will turn out to be the laptop where you wrote all the posts that promoted the CBF, and reality will finally finish bending around on itself, right? I’m onto you, mister! O_o

Ha! You’ve read the script, Paul. Actually, Wednesday’s One-liner is already written and it’s not about CBF. I think this is my last direct attack.

However, there are a few Twilight Zone episodes I can think of that include, what might be called a cherished object, you know a toy phone, a stopwatch, maybe some oil-paste, It could be just what we need.. I’m just thinking that someone could craft a short entry during the blogfest around one of those episodes…if someone was of a mind to do so…

Thanks for reading and commenting, Paul. Have a great weekend.

Brilliant job Dan! 👏🏻 I bow to your creative genius. Now, make sure I get that hfty tip, Mr. Genius. 500! Or less. Lol. Great post and thanks for leaving a breadcrumb on my last post and for the link ‘up there’. Counting down…

6. You do have some pretty cool tools. Most of which I never heard of before. I have a favorite screwdriver I tend to horde. It’s probably the one hand-tool I’ve used the most in my life. My favorite tools run along the line of appliances…dishwasher, washer and dryer, blow dryer, etc. :)

Am looking forward to hearing about your Cherished Object.

7. Oh! I forgot to add that you have a pretty adorable supervisor keeping watch of your tools. :)

Very tempted to join in on this, Dan. But 500 words… not sure that’s even in my vocabulary! O_o

I’d be willing to make a special exception for you. 500 is very hard for me, but the shorter ones do tend to attract more readers. I’d love to see what you would write. I’m trying to talk Paul into giving us a TZ Character’s favorite object. I’m not going to badger people, just a little nudge today and then I’ll (try to) be quiet.

9. Currently researching the blogfest…. I like how you turned the SocS into an advertisement. I will let my computer count your words so I know if you have to pay for your own drinks. :)

10. Prajakta says:

That was such an innovative and interesting take on the prompt – although I admit I was a little slow to catch up.

11. I have some antique architectural tools I just found the other day — no architect under 50 would know what they are unless they like antiques, like me. DO you have your object? I do…. painting today!

Coming into marriage, I owned a hammer, an adjustable wrench, a Phillip’s head, a flathead, and 6 tiny screwdrivers. The Mister, well, I think he owns nine kajillion tools and a hundred duplicates, and usually, when he’s hollering for me to bring him something, it’s 99% needlenose pliers, so I don’t know how on earth I ever lived without those? About a year ago, FIL gave The Mister his granddad’s old wooden tool box replete with granddad’s tools. I’m very fond of it, you know, because old and wooden. I’m not good with tools, but I’m clever with knowing what needs to be done.
    Cletus enjoys DIY like MiMi, but the other pets are avoidant.
    I think I will do the Cherished Blogfest, but I have not yet decided on what. I keep waiting for the item to speak to me.

The Mrs had a pretty capable set of “apartment” tools. I’m with your hubs, I can’t have enough tools.

I’ am gracefully, politely and kindly nudging folks to participate, but you HAVE to. Come on, there must be something. I haven’t picked one yet. I have one that I can write about (and I think I can stay under 500 words) but…I’m not sure yet.

I might do a second entry for one of the pets. MiMi has a cherished object for sure. Maddie is like me with tools, she has a gazillion toys and flits from one to the other.

13. Nice way to introduce the blogfest. I think I participated last year. And I think you have a second or third career in wood working. :)

I have come to realize that tuxedo cats must be fearless. For the past week, I have been having work done inside my house. Teemu will get up and plant himself right in the middle of the floor so everyone has to walk around him. The workers all get such a kick out of him, so they step over him. Parker, on the other hand, is nowhere to be found. She comes out from hiding after the house is quiet again.
    And for the record–I did Cherished Blogfest last year and have signed up again this year. Yay!

15. I’m having champagne for my last night in France. Hope that works. 😊

16. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, Love the tools! Yep, they could be your cherished objects. Very creative SOC post! Okay, well, you’ll get extra points for the If/Then. However John will get more points for his Then as the very LAST word! I participated in the CBF last year, however not this year. I’m on vacation for the next two weeks (CT & MA), and rushed to get ready! Also putting together the August blog post for Damyanti Biswas and her featured sunset header from Malaysia! Your featured CT tobacco farm header photo and write-up for July got a ton of views and comments, and they are still coming in! You’re a favorite! Have a wonderful weekend! 💛 Christine Elizabeth

Thanks Christine! And than you for featuring me in June. I enjoyed that and I was touched by the comments. I have also gotten a few compliments on the new profile photo.

I did comment on John’s post. I told him that he should get extra bonus points.

We’ll miss you in the blogfest, but I hope you enjoy your vacation (and I’m looking forward to Damyanti’s sunset!

I saw a tool I know how to use! …The cat counts, right? No? Then I’m lost.

18. Dan Antion says:

MiMi counts, but her only function is to entertain.

Hi Dan! I enjoyed your shameless plug and your stream of consciousness with “if” and “then” in great locations. I was a visual reader more today than usual. Tools were something my Dad cherished, and I have probably only two of his. We all agreed to selling them to make money in Mom’s account when she moved to the senior living complex.
    I usually don’t join things but I am very fond of my Doors “gang of friends.” I use my weekend hours to pre-schedule blog posts. I am past August 5th already with trying every other day.
    I will enjoy reading the CBF! Good luck, Dan. :)

Thanks Robin. I don’t usually join things either, so I can understand. We try to make it easy, one 500 word (max) post over a three-day period. If you can join us, I’d love to see what you have to say. You usually have a gift for finding meaning in value in things that some people overlook.

20. Another creative post! You’ve got some cool tools that I know nothing about:)
    My cherished tool is a hot glue gun! Have a great day.

21. Well, not a great start… I managed to misspell the name of my blog on the linky page (can that be fixed, or must I remain huddled in the corner in embarrassment?) and I’m struggling to add the Cherished Blogfest badge to my page. But, I do plan to join y’all on Friday!