Stairs, Steps and Ladders – Oh My

042114-cffcI don’t often do photography challenges. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever done one. That’s not totally true. I think I did a five-photo thing. Also, I did mix a One-Liner Wednesday with one of Cee’s Fun Foto Challenges. This week is different. This week, it’s all Cee’s. You see, I have lots of photos of stairs, steps and ladders and I can’t really imagine having too many opportunities to use them. So, I’m jumping on this.

You win too. All of the descriptions are in the photos, so not a lot of text today. Enjoy the photos. Explore the gallery if you like. I’ll be back to the One-liner thing next week.

This entry was posted in Cee's Fun Foto, Photography, Prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to Stairs, Steps and Ladders – Oh My

Great shots Dan. When I saw this on Cee’s blog I wondered if this one might be your kinda challenge 😀

2. Well done for your work and well spotted in the case of that London building.

3. We have had this conversation before. My take on English is that “in case of” means what it says, not ” in the event of” which is what these fire warnings on lifts (elevators) should be saying. When I see “in case of fire” I always think that I should never use the lift as there is always the possibility. “In the event of” is much more accurate – smile. BTW, I have lived and worked in London for most of my life and I don’t recognise that building!

I just went for coffee, and we took the stairs. When I write things like that, the Editor often crosses them out and “corrects” them. You and she are of a similar mind on such things. If I remember correctly and if Google Maps is accurate, that building is across the street from Victoria Tower Gardens, near the Lambeth Bridge (if that helps).

4. Yes, vinyl siding is a good thing, and go, Faith. :-)

You can probably guess which photo is my favorite. If not, I’ll give you a hint…”meow.”

6. Val says:

Cat love stairs and ladders, don’t they? As for the other pics… I used to be phobic of stairs and ladders and still have the tiniest bit of the jitters when I see pics of them, so…

7. joannesisco says:

Of course Mimi is delightfully cute from the top of that ladder :)

I’m not afraid of heights, but I’m not so fond of falling. The photos of your painting platform with 3 ladders rigged together though made me cringe. Yikes!

MiMi is a daredevil. She had to be rescued once during that project. She got up on some staging, got scared and started crying. I brought her back down, and the first place she went was back to the ladder. The ladders and the staging are actually quite safe. The staging “Plank” can support 500 lbs. Hopefully, I’ll be putting it back in action next month, but closer to the ground.

8. Val Boyko says:

What a great selection and collection of photos Dan!

9. Ugh! I have way too many stairs… But not as bad as those!
    Brave MiMi the ladder cat. Have a wonderful Wednesday. Hugs

I think we can all agree this post was, ahem, a step up from your usual photo-post, Dan. xP

Seriously, this is a good collection of shots. I mean, you have Mimi looking as if she’s saying, “This ladder isn’t big enough for the two of us, pal.” Then there’s the staircase they were building to stretch up to the sky, apparently. The pic from your banner is really nice, too (reflections are a sure-fire crowd-pleaser), as are the stairs that lead down to the water.

My favorite, though, is the one from the Gettysburg battlefield. That’s partly because I’m a Civil War buff, I’m sure, but it really is a cool shot, looking up like that. Anyway, careful on those ladders!

Thanks Paul. You get the groan & giggle sign of pun success. I am drawn to reflections, but those stairs have always made me wonder why they were built. It’s a canal, you can’t swim in it or canoe, because the water level can still change rapidly and without warning.

We found a brochure, left over from the driving tour at Gettysburg. It says it should take 1.5 to 2 hours. I think it took us 6 hours. We stopped at every path, battlefield, building, tower, etc and took pictures and hiked, and climbed and looked.

And, yes, MiMi owns the ladder.

MiMi is so cute, she should win the challenge! Great collection. I really dig the shadow of the truss. A lot of these photos make me ask questions.

Thanks. MiMi has proclaimed victory. I’m guessing your questions begin with “why” or “what the…” The truss shadow is one of my favorite photos.

• joey says:

Yes, like why those steps into the sky? And did you go inside that building in London, and what building is it, and my isn’t it pretty? How did you get those ladders to support the horizontal ladder?

I have no idea why that building was built like it was. I thought, maybe it was once a fire station and that was the hose drying tower, but I don’t think it was. I did not go in the building in London. The horizontal part is actually a 22′ piece of staging. It’s designed to support up to 500 lbs (ladders are not good for horizontal support). It’s resting on “ladder jacks” – adjustable brackets that are made to hang off of two treads of a ladder. You actually need a third ladder to get up and down from the staging. You can see how that works here (I should have included this in the group) https://flic.kr/p/5fT2SP

12. Cee Neuner says:

Hi Dan, I like your ladder shots the best. Wonderful gallery for this week. :D

13. The one by the autumn lake (your banner) is my favorite, Dan. Beautiful and serene.

14. Super stair portfolio, Dan. Enjoyed it.

I don’t know why, but there’s something pretty spectacular about that London building!

The look on MiMi’s face is a riot. Teemu would sit at the bottom of the ladder and block anyone who tried to get on it. The shadow of the truss is the coolest photo! You should definitely try these challenges more often, Dan–you’re good!

Thanks Lois. I really like the shadow picture. I look at Cee’s challenges each week, but I’m trying to stick with the posting schedule I have. I couldn’t resist this one though. So, Teemu won’t climb the ladder? MiMi would be sad if he blocked her. She loves to climb.

17. Although I enjoyed the entire gallery, I have to go with mMimi, too.

Laughing at MiMi……just adorable. My stomach flipped looking at the ladder and you on it against the house. Good grief, I agree with the Mrs. regarding vinyl siding. Totally enjoyed this, Dan!

19. Pingback: Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge-Stairs-Steps-Ladders – WoollyMuses

20. Looks like you focused more on ladders than stairs, which is funny to observe since the female bloggers who do the challenge seem to favor stairs. Go figure! Love the house at the bottom of your post.

You and Faith make a good team..

22. Fun and interesting post. My favorite is the faux shadows staircase. The sparks flying all over came in second. I cringe at the thought of them in or around the house though. It’s a bit scary.

I see the “Supervisor” MiMi was on the job that day too. :) So adorable!

I don’t blame her.

24. Photo challenges can be a lot of fun, Dan. I’ve participated in the wordpress ones.
    You have some nice photos here.

Thanks Elaine. I’m trying not to get too / more carried away with this blog. My comfy little routine works well. I just have to find a way to fit the compelling challenges into the regular mix.

25. Val says:

Dan, I’ve been trying to puzzle out what the building is in your third photo (the red brick one with the stepped windows and striped bands at the top). Any ideas where in London you were at the time? I’m originally from London and it looks very familiar but I can’t place it.

I was going to send you to see my reply to David, but I copied it for you. It’s the best I can do. If I remember correctly and if Google Maps is accurate, that building is across the street from Victoria Tower Gardens, near the Lambeth Bridge (if that helps).

26. Val says:

Ah, found it. Thanks. It’s No.1, Millbank. It was built for the Church commissioners in 1903 but is now used as a parliamentary offices. Here it is in Wikipedia images (there’s more about it online, on one or two sites.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._Caroe#/media/File:No._1_Millbank.jpg (that link might appear as ‘no follow’ as seems to be the default in comments on WordPress.com these days, so you might have to adjust that, yourself.)