A Peek Ahead – A look Around

Trail

This must be the trail

A weekend hike yielded the raw material for several blog posts. A couple of them require some research. A couple are reserved for Thursdays ‘cuz, doors. But the hike itself is good to go. And, the best part, well, the best part for you, is that the photo captions explain the whole thing. Except for the very basic facts.

The hike was at the northern end of Shenipsit Forest, up to the observation tower at Soapstone Mountain. It isn’t much of a hike, and the tower is closed. When I invited my daughter, I described it as “baby hike” – she’s a serious hiker. A couple of miles, a few hundred feet of elevation gain, but it was fun and I got some interesting photos.

Oh, there’s a puzzle in the gallery for the cat lovers.

This entry was posted in Connecticut, Family, Photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to A Peek Ahead – A look Around

1. Ruth says:

Loving the international sign for mermaid – looks like a lovely spot for a hike :-)

2. Nice father-daughter summer day. Hope you remembered the bug spray. :-)

Beautiful country to be walking in. I don’t blame you and your daughter for taking hikes!!

International sign for mermaid? I love it! I thought I saw a cat (maybe 2?) but that rock looked like an elephant to me. Yeah, it’s gonna’ be that kind of day… This looks like a great place to hike on a hot summer day. Happy Monday, Dan.

5. quiall says:

The beautiful pictures took me back to my hiking days! Love the cat!

My favorites are the mermaid and the cat. LOL Your sense of humor rocks!!!! I laughed out loud about the mermaid. I can see um an elephant but if I stretch the imagination a bit more, OK, I’ll say I see a cat. Good to know you went out hiking too even in this heat, Dan. Loved the view of the Berkshires, the web, and all the images showing us your hike. See? You worked off those carbs! ;) Good morning to you! <3

7. It looks and sounds like a great hike, Dan. Although it’s so humid here, it’s hard to contemplate.
    I didn’t find the cat… but I’m blind as a bat. Sorry bats — I realize you probably see better than me…
    Monday hugs!

I hate to tell you this, Dan, but the cat is visible only to those about to enter … the Twilight Zone. :-o

Nice post! Glad you two had a good time.

Looks like it was a good outing. We will be having no such outings until it cools off. *fans self* The international sign for mermaid is fantastic! I saw an elephant in the rock, but no cat. What does this mean, Dan?

Yeah, it was hot and humid here, but it was a baby hike, at least by Faith’s standards. She’s a good sport though. The elephant is large. The cat is very small. I don’t know what that means. I’m glad you like the mermaid symbol.

I saw an elephant too. Looks like a nice hike. Love the view of the Berkshires from up high.
    I’m going to try hiking again this fall when it’s cooler.

Thanks Norm. Cooler would have been nice, but it was a short enough hike that we didn’t get too hot. I should have gone with elephant. I thought I had a bunch of cat lovers here – never expected so many to see the elephant :)

I could NOT find the cat! *weeps piteously* Love the international sign for mermaid. Did you see any mermaids, then? That overlook photo is specTACular! and the web one, too!

I’m with Lois…I can see two cats, although the second one in the rock itself may be pushing that envelope a bit. Thanks for the photos and, oh, BTW, I also may have some fun door material from the weekend. Stay tuned…

13. Looks like a beautiful day, Dan, and a great way to get some time in with the daughter, even if it is a baby hike :-D

14. Val Boyko says:

What a great hike Dan! Love the international sign of the mermaid.
    The cat lept out of the photo at me!
    I just went back and saw the elephant … rocks have many face to them. 💛

15. Laura says:

These are beautiful pics!!

16. joannesisco says:

Love the mermaid symbol.
    I couldn’t see a cat or an elephant.
    …. and I think you are a very brave man! I’m not willing to hike in this heat. I’m waiting until the cooler air returns.

17. Pingback: Thursday Doors – Maple Street | No Facilities

Is the hollow tree fused with the small one? I have seen only one other like that. It’s awesome!

19. Most excellent hike and mermaid and cat, but I most appreciate the fact that you can appreciate every kind of construction. :)

Thanks. We have a little construction project underway here, working with slightly larger lumber than normal. I love building things and looking at things other people built. Thanks for stopping here today.

20. Pingback: CT Civilian Conservation Corps Museum | No Facilities