One-Liner Wednesday – Poolside

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday series.

“Cannonball !!!”

OK, that’s what I imagine this little guy was thinking as he landed with a bit of a splash.

Cannonball

About to make a splash

It has been so hot and so dry for sooooo long, that the birds, squirrels and bunnies have been searching for food and water. We have plants and trees that look like they are ready to pack it in for winter, and the grass is so dry that it makes being barefoot untenable.

In response, we water the patches of grass where the bunny likes to eat, and the Mrs. tosses nuts, crumbs and crumbles out for all concerned. We have a squirrel who practically comes to the door and knocks for nuts. Last week, he actually stayed when the Mrs. said: “let me see what I can find for you.” He was waiting when she returned.

There are thunderstorms in the forecast, but we need slow, steady and sustained rainfall, not a flash-in-the-pan deluge that do more damage than good.

One Liner Wednesday

This entry was posted in New England Life, One Line Wed, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Poolside

1. It is dry. Over the weekend we stopped at the Cocheco Falls but there aren’t any falls just dry rocks. A fellow blogger from Maine mentioned that for the first time their well is challenged to produce the water they need. Here’s hoping New England gets some of that forecasted rain. :-)

2. quiall says:

We humans are so easily trained! Great pictures!

3. joannesisco says:

I’m hoping for rain too … even a deluge would be appreciated at this point. It seems that all summer the rain has been going around us. I’ve never experienced a summer like this one!

I love the cannonball photo. Great caption :)

Dan, these photos are so cute. And I love the squirrel waiting for your wife…how adorable is that?! We are expecting very bad weather here in NW Florida. Downtown is already sandbagged and campers have been evacuated from the parks. I will be sure to send some of the rain your way.

I hope you get the nice, soaking rain you need, Dan. The day lilies did not look one bit happy about the deluge. It’s become a bit dry here in the past week, but rain is expected for Thursday and Friday. For the most part, summer has been warm, but we seem to be getting enough rain for lawns and crops.

Those are cute photos of the birds and squirrels. You and the Mrs. are awesome critter people!

On behalf of lilies everywhere, I say unto you those are not daffodils. You really are a lot like my husband about that ;)
    So those squirrel and bird photos are awesome, better than most I’ve gotten! They do seem to pose for you. I can’t get over the field, how there are so many of them! Most we get is three at once, and even then, there’s often a fight.
    I feed my squirrels religiously, out at the tree and the bird feeder, and I truly believe it keeps them away from my garden. And yes, when the weather cools, Chubby Squirrel’s baby will frequent the porch, (I do think he knocks on the door) no doubt hoping I’ve got some yummies.
    Great post! :) I love woodland critters.

Ack, I knew they are day lilies – I must have just gotten confused (I do that a lot). We do hop that by keeping a patch of grass green, the bunnies will stay out of the garden. Thanks, and the day lilies thank you – they had enough trouble to deal with.

7. Delightful photos, Dan. LOL re the cannon ball! Happy hump day.

Yeah, there’s a lot of brown grass in the northeast these days. It’s been a bit wetter here in the mid-Atlantic, but with some serious humidity on the way, I’d welcome some more rain. However, I hope you get it first, and in greater quantities.

Great pics, as always! There are some really nice birds in this area as well. I enjoy seeing them eat all the seed and thistle I put out for them — right outside the picture window off the dining room. Makes for a nice view in the morning. :)

We’ve had a wet summer, but we’re heading into the August drought. We have weird droughts in the Ohio River Valley: Not enough rain, but humid as hell. It’s a wonder we don’t all evolve into air fern.

10. Enjoyed the cannonball shot and title, Dan. We’ve been blessed with reasonable rain in Illinois. I’ll send some your way if at all possible. We have enough humidity that you could wring out a bit of moisture and I’ll be more than happy to share that.

I swear squirrels do understand. We finally got a bit of rain as well.

Psssst…if you have a favorite, they really like blueberries too!

God, we need some rain!

14. Val Boyko says:

Thank you for brining such a smile Dan!! I love these little guys too 💛

What a fine birdhouse and birdbath! Superb!

So much going on yet, I loved the simple one-liner! It went perfectly with the photo of arriving bird to the nice and natural “watering hole.” :)

17. We’re having our annual begin Fall heat wave. The marine layer should return soon. The bird image made me smile! Great images as always!