Thursday Doors – Back in New Orleans

Door

Layers of interest

After the conference I was attending ended, a friend and I took a walk around the French Quarter. He was well aware of Thursday Doors and he was kind enough to pause a few more than a few times. He even pointed out a few doors I might have skipped. I’ve been saving these for a week when I didn’t have a lot of time, since I don’t know much about these doors.

I do know two things: 1) New Orleans has enough doors for Norm to open a sub-chapter, and 2) I might like iron railings even more than doors.

Here in the States, we’re getting ready for our last holiday of summer – Labor Day. I’m taking a little vacation time leading up to the weekend, so I’m going to stop writing and start building a gallery of some cool southern doors. Click on any photo to scroll through them.

Thursday Doors is a weekly series brought to us by Norm Frampton. It’s fun, it’s easy and it’s full of interesting doors. If you want to join us, hop on over to Norm’s, check out his doors, then click that little blue button. If you want to add a door, you have plenty of time. Norm accepts door photos until noon Saturday.

This entry was posted in Photography, Thursday Doors, Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to Thursday Doors – Back in New Orleans

1. Lots of wonderful doors, Dan, but I’m still stuck on the first one trying to figure out the circles. With all the Thursday Doors, I thought I’d seen and could recognize most decorations but those are really unique. Good one. :-)

2. It looks like a fabulous place to visit, Dan. I love that last shot, with those gorgeous wooden shutters and the cutlery on the overhead sign.

I am determined to get to this historic city sooner or later!!

No arguments from me regarding the doorscursion potential in New Orleans. My only visit there was almost 20 years ago, way before I got into photography and doors. I hope to get back there at some point with my camera of course.
    Thanks for sharing these Dan.
    BTW our plans are still on track for next Friday (12th) so don’t forget to email me. Enjoy the long weekend :-)

From these photos, I can see why you have an attraction for iron railings! There certainly was an abundance of beautiful railings.
    The unusual brick building intrigued me the most with its shuttered upper windows and what appears to be an inner courtyard. The two opposing sides of the building are practically pushed up against each other. It looks very unusual.

Thanks for sharing these photos and doors, Dan. It takes me back to my one and only trip to New Orleans in the early 90’s. A couple of photos are familiar (the corner door building and Jackson Square Basilica), but the rest are a general reminder of why I loved the French Quarter. There is so much character in the buildings…from the doors, to the iron railings, to the balconies, to the shutters I remember an iron railing/fence off Bourbon Street that had ears of corn at the top of the spikes. New Orleans is truly a unique experience and I would go again given the opportunity.

I’m glad you enjoyed these photos, Mary. It amazes me how many interesting elements they have in that area of the city. I’ve been there twice in the past five years. I don’t think I’ll get back anytime soon, but I’m glad I got there after discovering Thursday Doors. I’d be kicking myself for not taking these photos.

7. Now why didn’t I just know that New Orleans would have such an abundance of lovely doors? Awesome doors, Dan. Have a thriving Thursday. Hugs

More great doors from the Big Easy — good stuff, Dan. I like doors on corners, too, but they’re all interesting in their own way. Such a unique city.

And when you run out of doors in the distant future, you can always launch “Thursday Iron Railings”. Hope you have a good holiday weekend! *raises hurricane to you*

Thanks Paul, although the thought of that hurricane makes my head twinge a bit. I’m not sure what it is about the corner doors, but I’ve always liked them. Iron railings, balconies, windows, shutters, I could stay in NOLA and feed a bunch of challenges.

9. New Orleans is ground zero for Thursday doors. The city is such a rich environment for you to take special photos. So interesting, Dan. Thanks.

10. Quite a gallery again, Dan. I know the feeling of stopping all the time to take photos of doors (or whatever else.) I mentioned the same thing in my post today, only it happened in Philadelphia with our daughter. :-) Have a great vacation and I know we’ll see the results of your doorsurcions.

11. Doors versus wrought iron is a hard pick. Norm’s post this week was amazing in part because of railings!

12. dimlamp says:

An impressive collection Dan, and interesting architecture. I like that first photo with the framed archway decorated with black circles.

13. Like you, I fell for the wrought-iron gates and balconies too. But the colorful doors are lovely as well. New Orleans is a strange city. Not sure I’d love to live there, but it is for sure a place to visit and a place to be photographied. I wish you a nice and safe Labor Day weekend, Dan. Just got a new computer, so I’ll be back to reading and posting soon. May catch up this weekend ac

It’s just lovely there, no bones about it. Enjoy your time off, Dan :)

15. jan says:

I’ve never been to New Orleans – from your pics it looks like a city full of contrasts. (I guess most big cities are)

16. Pretty architecture. :)

17. I haven’t been to New Orleans since 1983. I too fell in love with iron balconies, and colorful doors.

I loved the first door with the red Bistro awning. Yes, very inviting. FWIW- I was shaking my head YES! to all your photo captions. :)

18. Val Boyko says:

Love the doors in New Orleans. Thank for a great share Don 💛

My favorite door set is “#323” where the arch of the frame is red. There are initials of “G” and “H” on the windows of the two doors.
    My second favorite is the white set with pretty windows and on a red brick building (you said you liked this one a lot, too.) Like the “folding doors” which may protect the white doors with so many windows. I like semi-circular windows with “pie slices!” :)

Thanks Robin. I do like that red arch. I’m not sure I would have ever thought to paint it, but I like he way it looks. The white doors and the storm shutters are amazing. I’m not sure they’re my favorite, but I really like the photo.

Awwww…..somehow makes me feel less lonesome.

21. Val says:

The balconies are amazing, the fake studs on the porch door frame and the corner door are my faves.

NOLA is such a short drive from where I live. I love it there; my husband not so much.

23. A nice variety of doors, and I can’t resist the New Orleans iron railings either. :-)

24. C.E.Robinson says:

Great doors, Dan! Can’t wait for the wrought iron railings! I’m partial to blue doors! And shutters that work! Never been to New Orleans so appreciate the doors tour! Happy end of the week! 💛 Elizabeth

25. Bee Halton says:

There might be an event you could host in these railings you mentioned????? :-) Great doors! Thanks for sharing :-)

26. Dan Hen says:

Those pictures bring back fond memories . I was there twice .

I’ve never been to New Orleans. I’m not sure there’d be anything but the architecture to interest me despite my love of jazz. [I’m a Kenny G fan.] Still, I do like that bistro storefront. I know of two stores that have had the corner entrance [both gone by the wayside now] that I patronized when I was a teenager. One was a novelty store and the other was a drug store.

28. I’ve always wanted to go to New Orleans. Really cool pics, thanks for sharing.

29. prior.. says:

the first door reminded me of those studded belts that used to be in – or it had a fun heavy metal feel. ha!
    I also love the dark wooden shutters – and it really does whisper of when shutters were used for weather and security things. Nowadays – so many are for decor – but those heavy wood doors look sound and you are right – add a nice look when opened.

30. Ohh, plenty of excellent door and entrance and balcony stuff! Something tells me that New Orleans would be a grand playground for my camera.

LOVE that corner door! And the heavy brown shutters on those last doors are gorgeous.

Honestly, Dan! This post of yours just took me away and I’m shocked to admit I’m truly beginning to think twice about New Orleans. As in wanting to go there. Yes me. Who doesn’t particularly like cities. But these doors, the architecture the “spirit” of this city that comes so clearly across in your photos, have won me over. Now I think I know what Maddie’s purpose in your life is. It is to take pictures quickly so that you are not noticed taking pictures, especially when you are around people. See how everything really has a purpose? LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!! I’ve been here for goodness knows how long just looking and looking and looking. You just made me fall in Love with New Orleans. Now I really have to go. Just saying that has excitement zinging through my veins. :)

33. Awesome pictures. New Orleans has great architecture. I believe every city has certain buildings that holds the attention of the visitors and locals as well.

34. Clearly I am a week behind…..sorry! Love these doors!!

35. I’m catching up. Probably will be for awhile. I got really behind! These doors take me back to my first trip to New Orleans, I love the iron balconies, and shutters on the doors and windows.
    That top door with circles is interesting. I hope I get a chance to get back here. The first time I was here I had a toddler in tow… talk about cramping my style! :) Yeah. Jazz and blues clubbin wasn’t happening then!

36. It’s one of those days when time has no meaning…I’m just doing stuff I love, but I know when #1 Grandson wakes up it will be just about the time I’ll need a nap. I’ll take a nap before he gets up.