One Liner Wednesday–Weather

Based on satellite imagery and surface observations, the risk of tropical-storm-force winds reaching the coastline appears now to be minimal.”

The seagulls aren’t buying that.

Gulls

These guys are usually flying and landing in the river. Today, they had no interest in leaving the ground or the shore.

We never got the rain they were predicting. We really wanted some rain. We need rain. We did, however get some very strong wind gusts during the night.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s fun series One-Liner Wednesday. Check out Linda’s post and all the other one-liners

One Liner Wednesday.

This entry was posted in New England Life, One Line Wed and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to One Liner Wednesday–Weather

1. Don says:

That’s good news Dan. Sorry about the rain, though. Enjoyed the images.

You could have some of the rain from yesterday and the flooding rains some parts are supposed to get today. I would share that with you. On the other hand, I’m glad you didn’t get damaging storms. That could have been worse than the dryness.

Thanks for the offer, Mary. We were happy not to have too high winds. The trees are in danger of breaking and falling due to lack of water this year. There has been a lot of emergency tree trimming late this summer. If we get a bad storm, they are expecting lots of damage.

• bikerchick57 says:

Oh boy, that’s not good. We had a storm in the area several years ago with straight line winds. It had been raining quite a bit before the winds came along, so they uprooted many trees in the area, some of them fairly large trees. It was a pretty sad sight, so I hope that doesn’t happen to your area.

3. We received a couple of light sprinkles for which we are grateful but we need RAIN. :-)

Red at night, sailor’s delight….Nice nighttime photos, Dan. Especially that building under construction. Looks really pretty all lit up.

Pretty sunset is pretty.
    I hope you get some gentle, steady rains. :)

6. LindaGHill says:

Here’s hoping for rain! Great pictures. I especially like the one with the front-end loader. The contrast between the yellow and the dark around it is beautiful. :)

That ominous sky was telling you about the beautiful day ahead, Dan: “Red sky at night, a sailor’s delight. Red sky in the morning, a sailor’s warning.”

Thanks Wendy. At this point, I’d take rain in almost any form. Slow and steady would be the best, but we really do need rain. I have a lot of red sky at morning photos lately, but we haven’t had any weather the sailors would worry about. We did have a beautiful day after that evening red sky though.

My favorite pics are the afternoon sky and the so-called ominous sky, which is actually rather beautiful and a sign of good weather to come.

9. Sorry to hear you didn’t get any rain. I’ve been trying hard to send some to you and Judy, but I guess my powers just aren’t super enough. :-(

Did those winds bring in cooler temperatures, Dan? I laughed out loud about those seagulls. They know more then we do! :) <3

11. Nato says:

Like the colors in the sky of that one picture. Yeah, the seagulls know more than we do for sure. Well, at least when it comes to weather. Not too sure what else they know but if it is something good, I wish they’d speak up. Rain is important, especially when it comes in manageable bouts. Wind on the other hand is never good when its so strong. I hope the trees hold out!

12. Love that pink and gold sky, Dan. The seagulls are very clever birds. :)

13. jan says:

We have a lot of dead trees in our area – so wind is definitely worrisome. Stay safe.

14. The extremes in our weather have become rather scary, you just know if it is going to be drought or flooding.

15. On our recent trip back east, I was surprised how many areas were desperate for rain. Of course, being from Southern California, we are focused on the drought and hoping against hope for some rain. Maybe we both will get the rain we need this fall and winter.

The sky was my favorite one, but your collection had some great photos, Dan.
    Hoping for some rain to head your way, too. :)

17. rain…rain…so abundant in some areas….so little in others!! We just had the remnants from the Mexico hurricane role through….nice steady rain for most of the day….parts of AZ got quite a bit, but Phoenix area…just enough….felt like I was living elsewhere with such a nice rainy day……

The weatherman tonight on the 6 pm news said ‘no rain tonight, it’s going to pass by us’. About 30 minutes ago a MAJOR thunderstorm started to roll through. It’s still pouring buckets outside and I’m doing a happy dance. We too really, really need the rain.

This is one time I’m SOOO happy the weatherman was wrong. Completely, totally, utterly wrong.

19. I’m glad you didn’t get a very bad storm. The sky colors were gorgeous as was the light on that Backhoe! Nicely done!!

20. I was traveling yesterday and did not have the time to respond. I liked this first-hand report on the storm. It is too bad that you didn’t at least get some rain out of it. We have that problem as well. All the predictions and none of the follow through. Beautiful photos.

I wrote three messages yesterday and on each blog they didn’t show up! Funky cell phone is no longer identified. Hopefully, there is an errant comment in the WP pending approval section.
    I liked the sky photograph the best (surprise!) but also enjoyed the other serene scenes, Dan.
    The blue water, sea gulls up on Lake Erie were a source of pleasure over Labor Day weekend with my brother, Randy, and grandson Micah taking it all in. Hope you get torrential rain to help prepare the New England autumn leaves presentation! :)

The best way to find out what the weather is doing is to go to your front door and step out onto your porch or stoop. You look up at the sky and at the trees. Then look around to see what doesn’t look usual. You have your up-to-date weather report.