At the Bar with Star Trek

For the love of beer

The perfect place and beverage to share some casual conversation.

If we were having a beer, you would be picking on me…again

“So, how did you celebrate on Thursday?”

“Huh?”

“Thursday. I heard that it was the 50th anniversary of Star Trek. I thought you would have done something special.”

“Ha, no. We had a Board Meeting at work. I don’t think a Star Trek theme would have been appropriate.”

“What about after work? The original episode didn’t run until 8:30 pm.”

“Listen to you with the facts and figures. I guess accountants can be geeks after all.”

“Financial advisor. For the umpteenth time, I am not an accountant.”

“You’re also not a geek, so where did you come up with the Star Trek trivia answers?”

“NPR.”

“Oh for the love… Cheryl, we need some alcohol, stat. I’ll have a Yuengling and program the replicator to serve up some Meiomi.”

“And, you can put this on my tab Cheryl.”

“Truly, where no man has gone before.”

“Are you guys are talking about Star Trek?”

“He was just about to enlighten me on the series. He’s barely watched it, but he listened to a recap on NPR.”

“They treated the show with the respect, I suppose it deserves. They listed things like the number of episodes (725), the first star date (1513.1) and the number of movies (13). They also recognized the lasting effect the franchise has had.”

“Wait, you’re looking at your phone, do you have those facts written down?”

“Of course I do. You think I was going to remember that stuff?”

“I was beginning to wonder.”

“Here you go guys. One beer, one Meiomi. Be careful, these aren’t Synthehol.”

“Wait, so you’re a Trekie too, Cheryl?”

“Original series, big fan. Next Generation, not so much, but if it’s on, I’d watch.”

“What about you, all 725 episodes?.”

“No. I’ve seen every Original Series episode, numerous times and every Next Generation episode several times, but I wasn’t a big fan of the other spin-offs.”

I would have thought you would have liked Voyager. I saw an episode of that once, and the captain had Irish Setter puppies on board.”

“Janeway, Captain Janeway had an Irish Setter back home. In fact, her name was Mollie, same as our third Irish Setter. Q tried to seduce her once, with a litter of setter pups.”

“He was the omnipotent guy? The recurring character, right?… They mentioned him on NPR”

Q and Dr. Crusher as an Irish Setter

Q and Dr. Crusher as an Irish Setter

“Yes, well played by John DeLancy. He also turned Beverly Crusher…”

“Who?”

“Beverly Crusher, the best doctor on Next Generation. He turned her into an Irish Setter once.”

“Best doctor on Next Generation? I take it that means not best doctor of all time.”

“That would be Dr. McCoy – ‘Bones’ – best Star Trek doctor, ever. You guys want to order any food?”

“I’m with Cheryl, Bones was the best doctor. Actually, I’d put the holodeck doctor on Voyager at #2.”

“So, are you with Cheryl that the original series was the best?”

“The original series holds a lot of good memories. I used to watch that with my college roommate.”

“Is that the guy who died in his 20s?

“Yeah, huge fan of Star Trek. Tony never saw Next Generation, but would have loved it for the technology alone. I’ve watched almost every STNG episode with my daughter, so that’s special too.”

“OK,  you geeks have determined the best doctor. We have a split decision on the best series. I don’t want to start a food fight over captains. How about ‘who was the worst character’ can we…?”

Wesley Crusher!

“What she said, Wesley Crusher.”

“Wow, Cheryl, you sound adamant about that.”

“The only good thing Will Wheaton ever did was Stand By Me.”

“So, what’s the deal with Star Trek? Why does it still matter 50 years later?”

“It’s optimistic about mankind. That’s a good thing.”

“You guys want another round?”

“We do, Cheryl. But first, do you agree with my young geeky friend’s opinion about the optimism of Star Trek?”

“I do, but they also know how to laugh at themselves, at least in the Original Series. That’s important. They also respect other life forms, even more important.”

“Like non-trekies? I ask, because this is all we’ve been talking about. NFL football started Thursday, too…just sayin’ ”

“You know, that’s funny. They mentioned once that people were still playing baseball in the 24th century, but I don’t ever recall them mentioning any other sport surviving that long.”

“Damn, this is hopeless. I am outnumbered, 2 to 1.”

“Look, this only happens once every 50 years. You can handle it.”

“So, next week, football?”

“Make it so.”

This entry was posted in Humor, If having a beer, Star Trek and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

108 Responses to At the Bar with Star Trek

1. best thing ever – has to be the Heisenberg Compensator. Wish we had one!

Frankly Dan, I’m disappointed. I would have thought you would have the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek on your calendar – jeez!!

3. Best Engineer? Only one in my mind. “She canna take any more captain.”

This one was fun reading, Dan. We loved “Star Trek” in our household and would order pizza or make popcorn, as if it were the best thing to watch weekly. My eyes sometimes rolled but together-ness reigned. :)

5. quiall says:

I am an original “Trekkie!!!”

Oh boy, where do I start with this one…
    1) 1,000,000 bonus points for a Star Trek and beer post
    2) 50,000 bonus points for the football mention
    3) I’ve watched all 725 episodes at least twice, but probably three or five or ten times with the original and STNG.
    4) My favorite critter was Spot the cat. I should subtract bonus points for you not mentioning Spot since you are a cat guy too.
    5) -10,000 bonus points for no mention of the holodeck. That’s my favorite feature of every Enterprise, DS9 and Voyager. I want one of those…every morning when I wake up, a nice looking gentleman would serve me coffee or tea inside the holodeck, while on a warm, sandy beach, and tell me how awesome I am.
    6) Funny, but I was thinking of Star Trek’s optimism and how the Star Fleet crew tried to accept every species they ran into, even the Borg. How wonderful would the world be if everyone had that kind of optimism and acceptance?
    7) I’m giving you back your -10,000 bonus points for not mentioned the Borg. No, no, no, I insist. Resistance of blogger gifts is futile.
    8) I might be headed to the Star Trek convention in Vegas next year. Might is the key word.
    9) I can hardly wait for next week’s football post.
    10) Live long and prosper.

I got all gushy over Mollie. As for Star Trek, I was never a fan. Do I dare say that? Or do I need to run fast? ….. *poised to run*

You’re fine Amy. I know that Star Trek, Technology and Sports posts don’t appeal to all of my readers. I appreciate your hanging around, at least looking at the pictures. Mollie was the cutest setter ever. She was a total sweetheart and we miss her to this day. Maddie is NOT Mollie!

• AmyRose🌹 says:

Oh I knew that already, Dan, about Mollie. Every special pet is unique and just looking at Mollie’s pictures really made me gush because I could feel how much you missed her. I know the feeling well, believe me! <3

8. I’m feeling out of it here because back in the day I watched a few TV episodes and all I remember is ‘beam me up Scottie.’ :-)

You need a love button! Great photo of Bill S. Talk about a guy who can laugh at himself. He’s my hero for that even today. Especially today

Thanks Cheryl! If you notice the caption, I picked that photo just for you. I even rearranged the gallery a few times to give him a prominent place. Next time, we might be boring you with football. Any faves? Pro or college, doesn’t matter.

And wow, quote. I’m honored. And I emant every word. One thing Sheldon Cooper and I have in common. I loved Data as far as NG goes. And Lamar Burton’s character. I always watched him on that Saturday kid’s show too. Can’t believe I missed the Thurs airing though. Didn’t know about it. I have been working such long hours. Happy but tired. I loved the movies and although Wrath of Khan is my favorite, I do love the one where they rescued the whale. You know me…..
    I’m still trying to get my tricorder to work. Guess I’m still on my mission..sigh.😏

11. Love this post, Dan. I was right there with you. I grew up on Star Trek, know all the characters, and watched all the spin-offs like a groupie. Great fun.

12. Great Star Trek montage, Dan. OMG… Is it really 50? I honestly didn’t think I was that young when it started, but I guess my young is older than I thought… Trek on! Mega hugs

13. Fun dialog and post Dan! I’m a fan of the original series, and Voyager, but didn’t get into the other versions. Go figure!

14. Ah, the original Star Trek! I never got into the later ones much. What I find amazing is the foresight the writers/producers had – who knew back then that we would now have cell phones very similar to the communicators used in the original series? And, of course, we now have digital communication by which every citizen can send photos and video in real time, and chat via Skype and other services. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before we’ll all be able to “beam up” – I can hardly wait (although I’m not sure my old[er} body could withstand the stress of being separated into atoms and then reassembled).

15. One of your best. We are reading them aloud before the Saturday Market now, and the hardest part is stopping for the comments from the peanut gallery (Mitchell) and he really did a whoa about:
    “So, what’s the deal with Star Trek? Why does it still matter 50 years later?”
    “It’s optimistic about mankind. That’s a good thing.”

He went on and one about kindness to others, that hopefulness about our future in terms of knowing that humankind might come to be smarter and better at dealing with the unknown, that baseball is obviously the best sport a it survives… and, I learned that he stays up late watching Trek spinoffs after I fall asleep. Thank you for that. I am looking at my husband differently this morning.

Oh, the phaser is very cool, Dan! I have a TNG one that I drove my parents crazy with. It has a different sound for “stun” and “kill”. I’ll let you guess which one got used the most. And ha, at first glance, I once again thought that was a toilet next to Picard. I have the Riker (of course!) from that figure series and he came with a shooting phaser and I think a briefcase of all things. I remember as a kid thinking, “A briefcase? They’re in outer space fighting aliens in the future and they gave him A BRIEFCASE? What’s he supposed to do with that?” I guess Picard’s laptop is a bit better, but still. :P

When it comes to Star Trek though, I think the REAL question is: Commander Riker — beard or no beard?

17. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, I’m not a “Trekkie,” however watched some of the movies! Loved the SOC recap of it! Your dialogue rocks! 💛 Elizabeth

18. The original series is the best, although both my husband (a big fan) and I liked the first remake and thought Karl Urban was absolutely perfect as the young Bones.

Sassy had Star Trek emojis on her social media the other day and I did not. Seemed odd to me, why some and not others. My husband would have used them…
    Never was a Trekkie. Not to say I didn’t like the television show, cause I did. Lots of Sunday reruns for me, but I was never a Trekkie.
    There was a movie where the thing crawled into the guy’s ear and I never recovered. I’m making The Mister watch the new one before me.

Mollie was a beauty, Dan! I love her happy dance. I am not a fan of science fiction but I do love Kate Mulgrew in ‘Orange is the New Black.’ She is good. BTW, that figure or fig-ur…it’s not pronounced ‘doll’? :)

21. Bee Halton says:

I like Voyager best but Bones certainly was the best Doc :-). Ah, they are 50 too. But hey I live in the UK and Dr Who had its 50th a little earlier ;-)

22. For me, Beverly would be #2 of the doctors. I didn’t see her become an Irish Setter so my husband is going to show me that episode tonight-

23. I watched Star Trek as a kid but it never really stuck. Been thinking it might be my next binge-watch. My brother-in-law is a huge fan and has all the dvds. My sister made him a Starfleet uniform once.

And I have a collection like your Star Trek one only mine is for Doctor Who. The Twelfth Doctor travels with me in the CARDIS.

24. cjparsons says:

Nice tribute, Dan. TOS would have loved the tongue in cheekiness!

I’m one of the very few who was never a Star Trek fanatic. I did watch the original series when it was new, but that was because my brother had it turned on the one and only TV we had. By the time the second generation of it came into our living room, I was into writing poems about the injustice in the world. Star Trek was the last thing on my mind. Haven’t wrote a poem since then.

Actually, Star Trek, especially Next Generation, visited the theme of injustice in the world quite often. It’s one of the reason I’ve always liked it. That said, it’s not a show that appeals to everyone. I won’t revisit Star Trek here for a while, but I couldn’t pass up this opportunity. Thanks for taking the time to comment Glynis. Ever think about sharing any of that poetry? Just curious.

You whippersnappers! I was a teenager when STOS aired! I never got into — or, in most cases, never watched — the subsequent versions. I watched some of DS9 because I’m a Rene Aubernenois fan. NATURALLY, I adore Boston Legal, with him AND William Shatner.

#4 Daughter showed me a bunch of Next Gen, and I love Picard, Data, Geordi, that bad Q, Guinan, Chief O’Brian, Hello Kitty — I mean Deanna Troi, Riker playing jazz … just about everybody except Diana Muldaur.

Original Series wins, though, for Harry Mudd.

27. Love Star Trek…ironically I am just now catching Deep Space Nine! Have watched all of the spin offs except for that one. Heard the new movie is good, haven’t seen it yet! Got my youngest hooked on Star Trek at an early age…only one of the girls that like sci fi!!

Another great post, Dan. I like your Picard doll and toilet the best (teasing!), but it’s all fun. Like millions of people, I’ve been a Star Trek fan all my life, and I think it’s because of something you refer to: the optimism, which is in such short supply these days. Roddenberry and Serling were very much kindred souls in that regard. And let’s not forget the simple fact that it’s colorful and fun. I remember playing Star Trek as a kid — my parents’ back porch was the Enterprise, and the back yard was each new planet I visited. Great way to exercise my imagination in the pre-Internet, pre-device world. And here I am, years later, having seen and enjoyed “Star Trek Beyond”. Live long and prosper, indeed!

Thanks Paul. The laptop does look like a toilet, but I wish Wendy hadn’t made a point of telling me :( Star Trek and Twilight Zone touched on many of the same issues. In the 60s, I think they stood out as using television differently. They also did a good job of working on a budget. Both shows made you think, and both have remained relevant for 50 years, which is remarkable.

29. So much nostalgia in this post :).

30. Aunt Beulah says:

This is embarrassing for me, Dan. I have to admit I don’t know enough about Star Trek to come up with a reasonable reply, let alone witty. I did relate to Stand by Me and I could have related to the Mary Tyler Moore Show or even Red Skeleton’s.

31. I’m the 99th guy to comment. Well, this time I couldn’t relate to the topic much because I have no clue about Star Trek and Star Wars. However, I understand that the original version must be the better one. It’s the same situation here. Earlier tv series were so much better compared to the junk that is broadcast these days. Thankfully, I don’t have a television at home.

I appreciate your stopping by Sharukh. The spin-offs from Star Trek were all pretty well done, but some had very specific story lines that were hard to follow. I prefer shows that I can move in and out of without having to watch every week in order.

There is only one Star Trek – the original. The rest are pretenders.

33. JoAnna says:

“It’s optimistic about mankind. That’s a good thing.” That’s why I like all things Trek. The older series are the best. Plus Voyager.

34. Dan Antion says:

Thanks JoAnna. I prefer the older series, I had some trouble with Voyager because I traveled and missed a lot of episodes. I like the fact that I can watch any original series episode without having to worry about what happened before.