One-Liner Wednesday – Not Baseball

Left-handed batter coming up – shift right

The shift is on

The shift is on

Technically, an “infield-shift” is a defensive tactic in baseball, often used against left-handed batters. If we were all baseball fans, we could debate its merits over many, many beers. In this case, I’m not sure what these guys were up to, but Maddie was fascinated as she watched them flock from side to side. The other animals seemed to be only mildly interested.

On a related note: I really need to figure out how to take movies with my camera.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s fun weekly series One-Liner Wednesday.

This entry was posted in Animals, One Line Wed and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Not Baseball

1. I can only imagine how excited Maddie gets when she sees all those critters while on her relaxing walk. :-) I looked out yesterday morning and there were twelve turkeys walking through the yard. Fall – it is definitely here.

She’s usually more curious than aggressive, until they move. She will actually stand in our yard and watch a squirrel, but when it sees her and runs, she’s after it. When the huge flock of birds moved, she was really going crazy. The turkeys are amazing when you see them. I’ve seen them crossing the road, but never in our small yard. That must have been a cool sight.

‘Yo, popcorn guy…’ This little series was a riot, Dan. Great captions….and I am always all about the caption. My younger son is left-handed (and left footed…for soccer). His coach loved when he came up to bat. Funny thing…you sports guys. :)

Thanks – I have to blame/credit you, Lois. You really got me thinking about captions for these guys instead of just saying “Bird” “Crow” or something obvious. The crow on the light post was squawking. I couldn’t figure out why he didn’t join the others. The shift doesn’t always work. It recently didn’t work for the team I follow – when it doesn’t work, it’s usually very bad.

I’m not really a fan of baseball, but I’d go out and play today.

If you figure out how to make a video with your camera, I’d like one of Maddie, Mimi and MuMu please.

Watching how pets interact with other critters is fascinating and usually quite hilarious isn’t it?

If only we humans could “hear” our pets’ thoughts as they watch the critters. Oh the stories they would tell us, right? I wasn’t aware crows migrated, but now it seems they do. I’m wracking the brain ….. come on coffee do your thing! … trying to remember if I see crows in Winter. Come to think of it, I don’t think I do. Hmmmmm …. Loved this series, Dan. I get the biggest kick out of chipmunks on my hikes and have found myself laughing out loud at times. Squirrels too. When we slow down we really can be entertained by what is all right under our noses. Yesterday for example I was speaking to the owner of the barn (in the barn) next door to us, with Jersey the cat sitting by this man. As we talked a chipmunk made a wild dash right in back of this man and cat and Jersey’s expression was priceless. I laughed out loud. Really enjoyed this post today!!! :) <3

They are funny, Amy. I think they know a lot more than we give them credit for. some of the expressions are so well times, it can’t be an accident. Thanks for the comment. I’m glad you enjoyed this.

• AmyRose🌹 says:

I KNOW they know more then we know that they know. LOL I get so frustrated sometimes with my cats because they make me really earn finding out what is going on. Some easily tell me by their facial expressions, how their eyes look, what they are doing, what their fur looks like, etc. Others oh man no way! They deliberately look away, won’t give me eye contact, and block me from understanding. Oh yes they can do that so easily and they do it well. Don’t tell Mom. Let her figure things out the hard way. Stinkers!! :) <3

6. lauramacky says:

You had me at BASEBALL!

7. You really have an eye for interesting angles whIle taking photos. Very cool. I like the color you found, as well. It’s so vibrant. My son is a baseball lefty and a pitcher. Fun to watch the other team react. Love a good baseball reference.

Some of the angles are accidental. When you have 50 lbs of dog tugging at you, you take what you can get. The whole analytics-driven fielding strategy is mind-numbing at times, but these guys really had it down.

8. Interesting perspective, always a good thing to see the world through someone else’s eyes.

So cute :) Great captions!
    My mother’s always said that when the birds group together like that, the weather’s going to change. I’ve found it true, but then, I live where the weather changes all the time. Sometimes I think it’d be more apt to say the birds get together to give me a headache, lol!

10. ROFL!!! The captions are so funny! I was laughing out loud. Yo, Popcorn Guy!

I’m looking forward to your video debut!

11. What a hoot. (Sorry guys didn’t mean to scare you.) Enjoyed this post, Dan

12. Once a week I walk with a friend and her two dogs, each of us taking one dog. If they spot a squirrel, we have to really pay attention and try “Leave it” in loud tones. That’s exacerbated by the fact that they say “Squirrel” at home when they want the dogs to chase the squirrels from the yard! Bikers and joggers are usually ignored, but not always, at least by the younger dog. Never a dull moment!

Thanks Janet – I know those conversations. Maddie has gotten nicer to runners and joggers and a poor woman on a bike that we pass often. There are two people, an elderly man and an elderly woman that Maddie just barks at. I dunno. I move to the other side of the street and try my best “no bark” “no bark” but it’s useless with these two. I think they’re axe-murderers ;)

13. Very clever. No what’s not clever? My mind. I know I signed up for something about writing about an onion on your blog, but I can’t remember exactly what I was supposed to do. Please help! Also, an important note…. it isn’t Alzheimer’s.

14. jan says:

Crows and squirrels generally don’t get along well enough to play fair! Don’t volunteer to coach them no matter what you do!

Ha ha – I’m not getting any closer to any of these guys. the closer I get, the harder Maddie pulls. Thanks for the info though, I never knew that crows & squirrels weren’t buds.

The birds shifting confuse ME so I can imagine dear Maddie wonders and gets excited! I like the cute squirrel, too. :)
    The funny part of this is I constantly accidentally start “filming” when I just want to take a picture! I am sure it is right there but cannot advise you, Dan.

I loved the captions, but was amazed at the field full of birds! I can just imagine poor Maddie’s excitement :)

I bet that would be a great video too! Those animals must plan how to torment Madddie. Lol

I just love that squirrel photo. Awesome shot!