One-Liner Wednesday – Gotcha

“You looked like the kind of guy that wouldn’t mind…”

One Liner WednesdayLast week, I was attending a meeting in Silver Spring, Maryland. I took an AMTRAK Northeast Regional train to Washington Union Station and then took a Metro Red Line train to Silver Spring. This could not have been easier. Thursday morning, I walked from my hotel to the train station transportation center. Much busier at 6:30 am than in the afternoon when I had arrived. Lots of buses, signs to all kinds of trains, but no signs for the Metro, that I could see. I spied a security guard:

I’m trying to find the Red Line train.”

Red Line?

Metro, the Red Line train. I’m going to Union Station.”

You sure it stops here?

I got off here on Monday.”

This station?

I’m just pulling your leg. It’s right up there on your left. You walked right by it on your way here.”

We both busted out laughing. After we finished laughing and I finished shaking my head, he said I looked like the kind of guy who wouldn’t mind. I kinda like that.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s fun weekly series One-Liner Wednesday.

This entry was posted in Humor, One Line Wed, Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Gotcha

I hope I don’t look like that kinda guy. My sense of humor temporarily goes out the window when I’m focused on getting my bearings and asking for help 😬

Glad you found your way and the metro, Dan. And thanks for reminding me that the next time I’m in DC, I must visit Union Station. It’s a beautiful place!

3. Hehhe, excellent stuff.

Glad to hear you kept your sense of humor! When I was still working, I used to love to have fun with people who asked directions, but very few appreciated my dry sense of humor.

I’m not sure I would have found it funny so early in the morning. Kudos to you!!

The big archways of Washington Union Station remind me a lot of Toronto’s Union Station. Nice!!

6. quiall says:

Stranger with a sense of humour . . .hummmm . . .

7. Sandi Staton says:

You can just tell! It’s great that you can joke with complete strangers and everyone laughs as if they’ve known each other forever! We do it all the time (hubby, me, my son). It’s just great!

8. I think I’d like to be someone who looked like they could take a joke. The world could use a bit of humour these days.

Nothing like a belly laugh to break the tension, Dan. I’d say that man was an Angel in disguise just waiting for you. Ya never know … Great shots by the way! I take it you like pretzels. Warm pretzels dipped in cheese …. mmmmm …. :) <3

Ha, you do look like that kind of guy, Dan. Glad you had a nice visit! Union Station is really nice. It’s easy for us natives to take it for granted, I know. And yes, it’s hard to resist the pull of Auntie Anne’s …

Thanks Paul. I think I like looking like that kind of guy. I do appreciate a good joke and the occasional pun from, ahem, certain readers.

I think the only Auntie Anne’s I’ve been able to walk by is the second one I pass at BWI…and that’s hard!

11. Errr… I was going to say something, but now all I can think is: Mmmmmm pretttttzellllll…. o_O
    That is a beautiful sky in the photo of the Discovery building. Have a wonderful Wednesday.

12. Ha ha ha. You do look like that kind of guy. You made his whole day. Good on you. In my next life I want to come back as you so I can eat all the stuff you enjoy. :-)

What a cheeky guy! It’s good to keep things light sometimes though. I’m glad you both had a sense of humour, Dan.

I guess he could have gotten in trouble if I didn’t have a sense of humor, but who wants to start the day angry? I thought about that good laugh, off and on, all the way home. I had a crummy encounter with an elderly couple on the train (maybe next week’s #1linerWeds) and I was comparing them to this guy and this guy was definitely coming out on top.

That’s funny!!! :D Good thing you’re a morning person, too — I might have cried, lol!

I like Auntie Anne’s, but I prefer Wetzel’s Pretzels.
    Also, while my friend and I were at the Auntie Anne’s on Saturday, I got the last pretzel. The pretzel place ran out of pretzels at 4 o’clock on a Saturday, Dan. :(

15. Great post….you did Union Station justice!! The architecture is incredible!! I did crack up with your “guide” pulling your leg…well played on his part and well handled on yours!!

16. I think I’d also take it as a compliment, but you’d have to be very careful whom you tried that on, especially in the morning! On a side note, I wonder how many Union Stations there are in the US. We have one in Chicago, so when someone says they were there, I always first think they were in Chicago.

This guy had a good eye, I guess. I’ve been to Union Station in New Haven, Chicago, Dallas, Washington and I know there are quite a few more. Joey did a Thursday Doors post on one in Indianapolis, and Joanne mentioned one in Toronto! There are also a bunch of Penn Stations.

17. Don says:

Now, that’s a great compliment, Dan.

18. I love playful people, and those who can take a joke. It makes life more fun.

I so love for someone to make me laugh when I get stressed. This guy sounds great, and I’m glad you both could laugh about it.
    Oh, hot pretzels…..mmm-mmm.

He got you! Lol. Yeahhh you ARE that kind of guy….to a degree yes?

21. Oohh, I would have thought for a nano second I’d entered the Twilight Zone! :)

Union Station does look like a beautiful station thanks for sharing.

We used to have a Pretzel Time which we really liked, but when Aunt Annie’s came in Pretzel Time folded. I’m wanting a fresh, warm, soft pretzel now. :)

Aww, Dan! That is surely a nice man who shared his sense of humor and didn’t leave you wondering or “hanging out to dry, too long!” :D You do seem like “the kind of guy” who will respond to a joke at your own expense.

Oh, at our malls we have Aunt Annie’s pretzels and we love the cinnamon sugar ones! Yummy! My son likes the regular salty one and cheese sauce to dip it in! :)

24. Loved the Union Station. It’s certainly very unique and beautiful. The pictures are super and I was excited to see Discovery building. Discovery channel is one of my favorite ones. I also love PBS documentaries. I loved the train status board. We don’t have that here. We get to know only the next 4 trains arriving/departing at a time. Fortunately we have an Android/iOS app that’s brilliantly designed to provide comprehensive list and details. A must-have for travel in Mumbai.

25. Aunt Beulah says:

I guess the moral is “Always pack your sense of humor.” I remember to take it along, but sometimes I misplace it, usually when my husband is arguing with both my navigating and the GPS.

26. A sense of humor is a requirement for survival. :-) I love those pretzels, but I don’t want to travel for a while to get one. I just want to stay in one place. :-)

27. Pingback: Thursday Doors – From the Train | No Facilities