One-Liner Wednesday – In the Zone

Everyone on board? Next stop Willoughby

Last week, while attending our company’s annual Policyholder Meeting, the “fun” event I chose to participate in was Captain Dave’s Whale and Dolphin Safari.

Here in New England, the whale watches we are familiar with are conducted on fairly big boats. Captain Dave’s boat was relatively small, pretty fast and quite capable of getting you wet. I don’t think we actually met Captain Dave, but Captains Tom and Bob and someone whose name I don’t remember were there to greet us and help us aboard.

As we were preparing to leave, one of the captains was disconnecting us from the set of stairs we used to climb on board. He’s the one who made the statement shown above.

Most of my coworkers missed the reference. A few were shaking their heads and mumbling “Willoughby?

But some of us got it.

“A Stop at Willoughby” is one of my very favorite Twilight Zone episodes. I could describe it here, but I’ve already exceeded my one-line for the day. However, Paul at Shadow and Substance published a fantastic description of the episode on his blog, I encourage you to read that.

If you know the episode, or if you read Paul’s description, you will understand why we chose not to enlighten the crowd. After all, ignorance is bliss.

We chased after a whale that had been sighted, but we never managed to see him. We did manage to join a couple of different pods of Dolphins. I teased some friends on Facebook with a couple of photos on Saturday. I’ve since had time to sift through and find a few more good ones. I hope you enjoy the gallery.

One-Liner Wednesday is a weekly challenge managed by the lovely and talented Linda G. Hill. It can actually be a one-line post, but, well, you guys know me better than that. One line is for Twitter.

One Liner Wednesday

This entry was posted in One Line Wed, Photography, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – In the Zone

1. Ooooh how wonderful! I have yet to see more than one dolphin at once. It was only one time, out of my sleeping bag on land, first thing in the morning. And once it was a sword-fish, I saw it surge up off a boat. This must have been like heaven.

2. What a fun adventure and you certainly make the rest of us envious with the great photos. Sure looks like you had a really good time. :-0

Thanks Judy. I was way more fun than I thought it was going to be. I didn’t expect to be on a 50-person catamaran, bouncing through a pod of dolphins. They were so cool to watch, so graceful and so fast.

Animals are always lovely. Always.
    Dan, after watching so many Animal Planet videos and observing how well-adapted, efficient, precise and beautiful animals and trees are, I have had a strange feeling. I have thought that perhaps the earth was meant for animals and trees only. Not humans. I think we, humans, are the odds ones out. Poorly adapted, destructive, worried about the future, sick. I think humans chanced on this planet by some mistake. Or whoever/whatever made us was pissed off at all the complex and various beauty the earth had before and wished to destroy it all.
    Ants build civilizations, trees adapt to wherever they grow, and every animal has a means of obtaining food and shelter. Have you ever wondered how much effort and time it would take an adult human to build the equivalent of a weaver bird’s nest. How much waste? Yet the bird just does it easily. I saw a video on YouTube about getting spider silk from goat milk, involving artificial genetic modifications that could even harm the goat . . . But the spider just spins the web without a single known waste.
    I think humans (or creatures like humans) should have had their own planet, where they can hate all they want and go to war and be afraid and destroy one another without transferring their misery to other living things.

Wow, Peter – you’ve given us a lot to think about. It’s hard to argue with your logic, we humans are at the top of the pack when it comes to waste. I really wouldn’t want to be on a planet with just humans, though. That would be very sad.

It’s funny that you mention the bird’s nest. My wife will often point to a next and say “imagine building that, with your mouth,” as I look around at my collection of power tools and think that I probably still need one more to get the next project completed.

• JoAnna says:

If the humans their own planet, I’d want to be allowed to go the the animal’s planet. I would be kind and respectful and do no harm. But then the other humans might want to come and exploit the animal planet. Wouldn’t that make an interesting novel? Defending Animal Planet!

Opening a can of worms JoAnna. Someone would decide to let you go, and then, as you suggest, a hunter would sue for equal rights, someone would want to drill for oil (since the animals aren’t using it), someone else would want to test a vaccine… I think you have enough material for a trilogy :)

• Peter Nena says:

JoAnn, animals do not need us. Nor do trees. In order to find relevance on this planet, we have convinced ourselves that the earth needs us and that animals will suffer and die without us. It’s a lie. We need them. We need the earth. We need the animals. We need the trees. They are all better than us. We only interfere. We are takers. Not givers. We don’t give anything back to earth. Our wastes are toxic. Our methods dangerous. We are superpredators. Imagine an ecosystem with overabundance of superpredators!

Peter, I think of that whenever people try to hit me up for a donation to some cause where the driving mantra is “Save the Earth.” The Earth will be fine once we turn it into a planet that can no longer sustain human life. The Earth will eventually recover.

I think most everyone has a Willoughby trains stop of their own. I know I do!

5. quiall says:

Incredible shots. Reminds me of my whale watching trip!

6. Nato says:

What a great day. Thanks for sharing part of the adventure with us.

We do have dolphin sightings here on the Gulf of Mexico and people always stop to watch. A very beautiful and graceful sight to see. Great shots, Dan.

What a beautiful day and experience for you, Dan! Those are awesome photos. After years of only seeing dolphins on TV, in magazines or elsewhere, I finally saw them swimming in the ocean off the Florida coast. They are such cool creatures, so graceful and social. I wouldn’t mind getting an up-close look at them again.

I’ve been lucky to see whales on 2 separate tours, but I’ve never seen dolphins. That would be so much fun! Loved your photos … a great choice, Dan, for a fun outing :)

Thanks for the link and the shout-out, Dan! Much appreciated. Ha, a Willoughby reference on anything other than a train would certainly have surprised me, but good for him! It’s such a beautiful, heartfelt episode. Kudos, too, for all the eye-catching pics. Looks like you had a great day and made some lasting memories.

As soon as he made that comment, Paul, I thought “that’s my one-liner” for next week. I was pretty sure you had written about that episode. If you hadn’t, I might have put in an urgent request :)

It was a very enjoyable trip.

• Paul says:

Yes, for sure! Good thing I had that post ready. Still planning one for “A Thing About Machines”, so stay tuned — its anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks.

I’ve referenced that episode in about 3 or 4 posts in the past. “Get out of here Finchley” I actually think Woody Allen ripped off the Zone. He had a comedy routine very early in his career about a man being mistreated by an elevator because the many had ripped the antennae off a radio. I remember seeing him do that routine on some late-night show and thinking about Finchley.

11. LindaGHill says:

Wow! You got some fantastic shots, Dan! I’ll head over to read the Willoughby post later. Thanks for the link. :)

12. Don says:

Love the Gallery, Dan, especially the dolphins. There’s something about them that always touches me deeply.

Thanks Don. They are such intelligent creatures, so graceful and kind of comical. I loved the ones that ran in front of the boat. It was so easy to see that they were just playing with us. The captain was very knowledgeable and shared a lot of facts about the dolphins. It was clear that he loves his job!

13. I love the dolphins as much as the whales, Dan. I’m glad you didn’t enter the Twilight Zone. :-D Looks like a beautiful day.

14. Terrific post, Dan. Those Dolphin photos are beautiful. I remember the Twilight Zone episode. I always thought of that one when riding the New Haven line to NYC.

Yay, dolphins! I enjoy dolphins, of course. Groovy how that boat has been restored to such an impeccable condition, too :)

16. dalecooper57 says:

Great photos (and a great episode of TTZ)

17. What great shots, Dan….I love watching Dolphins…..I have been on boats before where you see them like this in large numbers and they start to play with the boat…gliding through the water just ahead of it, then slowing down to swim along side…beautiful creatures!!

18. I love dolphins, so thanks very much for posting these shots. I’d love to see them “in person”, so to speak. I understand why you weren’t worrying about the camera. We did see a whale and baby while on a boat trip in Costa Rica, but I’d love to see dolphins.

When we were leaving to dock, the captain mentioned that we probably wouldn’t see a whale. I was a little disappointed, but when he said “thousands of dolphins” I thought he was exaggerating to make us feel better. It really was amazing, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Seeing a whale and its baby had to be pretty cool :)

I’m really glad you said what you did because your one-lines are never one-liners. LOL Very cool about those dolphins. I would have loved to see that! And how wet did you get? Just asking because you didn’t say. Too bad about not seeing a whale … But the dolphins more then made up for that. Great gallery, Dan! Thank you for posting them!!! <3

Looks like a glorious time..

21. I can never get enough of dolphins in the wild. have seen them twice, once in Australia and at another time in Sri Lanka,and both times the level of interaction amazed me. They looked up at us, competed, and did a whole lot of playful jumps and dives. Hate watching them in captivity :(.

22. I knew what he was quoting, but I haven’t seen that episode in quite awhile.

You got some wonderful looks at the Dolphins, and made some great images of them of swimming and splashing near the boat. How exciting!

Thanks Deborah. I really didn’t want to spend a lot of time looking at my camera. I took lots of wide shots and then looked for dolphins in Lightroom. I got lucky, but the ratio of bad to good was pretty high. When they came up and started playing with the boat, it was hard to stop watching them. So graceful and so fast!

I u derstand what you mean Dan. Seeing is the best part. I have learned with moving objects that instead of waiting to get the perfect shot I will point and do burst shots. Then I usually get anout ine in five that I really love. Again, this looks like such a grand experience with the dolphins. Nice. 😊

Corrections: understand. About. One. B
    Ame it on lack of sleep this time. 😕

I’m green with envy, Dan. I love water animals. I can’t even get on a boat other than one for water skiing though. I get motion sickness. Dramamine helps but if I can’t see land in the distance to get my balance, I’m done in for.

This wasn’t too bad, Glynis. We could see the shore for a long time and then we could see Catalina Island. I don’t recall ever being totally out of range. It was a bumpy ride though. I was out on the bow, which is an open web platform and my legs were shaking well into the evening. I had never seen this many dolphins in my life.

This was really wonderful how you caught such beauty within the water, sky and dolphins, Dan. That sailboat with the shoreline is an extraordinary shot!
    The reference to Twilight Zone is wonderful but, I am afraid, unless you mentioned the episode on the same day, it would have gone over my head, too. :)

Thanks Robin, I’m glad you enjoyed the photos. We asaw the sailboat as we were off looking for the whale. They were moving at a pretty good clip. “A Stop at Willoughby” is one of my favorite episodes, I would remember that line anywhere.

27. Dan Hen says:

What a classic episode “Next Stop Willoughby ” was !

28. I loved the dolphin images and also that tree in Dana Point. I have a similar one right in my neighborhood. I love boating (maybe because my last name is bamBOAT) and I have traveled to Elephanta Caves which takes around 30-40 minutes and is an island not too far from Mumbai city. However, across India, it is hard to find blue waters because of the water pollution unless you head to Lakshadweep Islands. It is my dream destination in India. In other words, it is the Hawaii of India. Located southwest of India, it is packed with beautiful beaches and islands. A tad expensive, but worth the experience.

The last photo is a whale though. Is it the one you were “chasing”?

Yeah Lee looked it up. It is a certain breed of dolphin and the info said Killer Whales are actually dolphins too. Wow.

Beautiful pictures, Dan! Makes me wish I could hover over them and protect them.

Oh, and the surest way to keep an elevator at a science fiction convention from getting too crowded is to smile at the bunch wanting to cram on and say, “Room for one more.” They back out and say, “I’ll catch the next one.”