One Liner Wednesday – From My Editor

Make sure they know that I don’t edit your posts on Wednesdays!

Yes dear.”

Actually, I already explained the fact that she doesn’t edit these posts. Of course that conversation occurred at the bar, and was met with much ridicule, so maybe the point was lost.

This exoneration comes on the heels of three typos that crept into the unedited mix and were promptly called out by David, Kate and Joey. With friends like that… So the saying goes.

David started when he caught a typo in a Wednesday post before I did and immortalized it in a humorous comment. His comment would have been rendered unexplainable if I had corrected my error. This is worse than it appears because my editor knows David and the two of them are guardians of proper grammar and the King’s English, respectively.

david-1So, I was forced to add a footnote:

david-2

Kate noticed a much more embarrassing typo in last Wednesday’s post, but I had already made the correction. I can only assume that she saw it before I made the edit, or that she read the post in the email feed. You see, WordPress doesn’t send corrections out via email.

In the first published version, ‘candy bowls’ was ‘candy bowels’ – the kind of error that one of your blog’s supporters will quietly alert you too:

kate

Or, not.

In what news organizations might describe as ‘full disclosure’ I also have to let my editor off the hook for typos in photo captions and replies to comments. She does sometimes catch these, after the fact, and alert me to them, but sometimes it’s too late. It was too late when Joey noticed that WordPress or my iPhone had turned ‘stab’ into ‘Stan’. Actually, given the proximity of the ‘n’ to the ‘b’ on the keyboard, I probably typed ‘stan’ and my phone capitalized the ‘S’ the way Word is itching to do right now. My editor might have noticed that. My friend Stan might have noticed that, but Joey got there first:

joey

This might have been a case of turnabout being fair play. I was subtly reminding Joey that she once promised to explain how The Wizard of Oz is a Christmas movie

I could go on, as you all well know, but none knows better than Linda, who took a cute jab at me after my comment on her #SoCS post. I was trying to compliment her on having written over 4,000 words for her NaNoWriMo challenge, even though she’s somewhat disappointed with that word count. That led to this friendly exchange:

linda

They do say: “no good deed goes unpunished.”

Before I prove Linda correct, I’ll wrap this up by saying that I love my editor, and I truly appreciate that she paid attention in school and extends her grammar shields around my unguarded freighter, I as travel the Blogosphere. David will understand the reference, as will Mary and my editor will probably sigh at being drawn into an allusion to Star Trek.

I also truly appreciate the eagle eyes and quick wit of my loyal readers. Touché David, Kate, Joey and Linda – and thanks – you guys make this community fun!

Since David got his shot in first, I’m sharing some pictures of a road trip he treated me to around his area of England, a few years ago. If I messed up any captions, maybe he can correct me.

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s fun weekly series One-Liner Wednesday.

This entry was posted in Family, Friends, One Line Wed and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to One Liner Wednesday – From My Editor

1. Ruth says:

Awww… I always love reading all of your slightly elongated one-liner rambles every week, Dan :-)

2. Thanks for all the mentions. The un-named building is the old Customs House in the Port of Ipswich (Suffolk, UK). The building is now the offices of Associated British Ports, who own and manage the port itself. There is more to be read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswich_Dock

Thanks for the tour, and thanks for the information. I noticed that I was lucky enough to have taken some photos with doors. So, I’ll probably do a Thursday Doors version of that tour at some point.

Anyone reading this comment should follow the links to David’s site for some great pictures of the waterfront and the area around Ipswich.

3. Oh, and you can see more about the port and where I live on my blog at http://www.waterfrontblog.co.uk

Scouring this post for typos so I can join in on the fun too ;-)

I remember the candy bowels. bwahahahaha!!!
    I don’t comment on other people’s errors … you know, the whole ‘those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones’ kind of thing ;)

I also enjoyed candy bowels, because for a split second, you sounded Southern ;)

I really have started a post on The Wizard and Christmas, long ago. I keep shuffling it back, but one day, it might get published.

Ohmigosh, you get 5,000 bonus points for mentioning the Wizard of Oz in your post (because that’s the theme of mine) and for the Star Trek allusion. Funny thing, I was watching an episode with a freighter in it last night. Too funny!

I love this post, Dan! Nice photos. I actually saw the “bowel” misspelling, but my attention was drawn away at that moment and by the time I came back to comment, you had fixed it. The candy bowel cracked me up.

8. cwaugh212 says:

I really enjoyed today’s post. I was smiling during the whole read. I guess that comes from being an author and having to live with this daily.

9. I overlook your typos in the same manner that I would hope you overlook mine. Isn’t that what the golden rule is all about? Great post, Dan

10. Thanks for the smile and laugh, Dan. Bowels, indeed.

11. Most of the time I read typos as they were intended, not as they are….speed reading or blind…not sure which, but they do make reading more entertaining when caught!!

12. dalecooper57 says:

I get a lot of very interesting typos from always using the predictive Swype™ keyboard on my phone.
    “Absinthe” for “Synagogue”, for instance.
    “Pollution” for “Politician” is another good one I’ve noticed.

Your one liner posts are really fun and entertaining, Dan! :) Not only did we talk about a subject which I used to be so good at, spelling, writing and editing with correct chooses but NOW am thwarted at every turn! My cell phone is the culprit! :)

Thanks Robin. I’d blame my phone if I could get away with it. A lot of my errors are from hitting adjacent letters that make words. My wife caught ‘bust’ where I meant ‘busy’ in my post today. I’m glad you enjoyed this one.

14. LindaGHill says:

Gah! I hate it when I find a typo in my posts. The one funny instance that stands out was when I typed “pubic” instead of “public.” Whatever the context, the meaning changes drastically with that one. hehe
    Love the pics. I have a few pictures of cranes (yes, both the equipment and the birds) I took when I was in Japan. They do some interesting things with the steel ones over there. I’ll have to post them just for you one of these days.
    Good job keeping this under 4,000 words. ;)

So funny. You know Dan, I saw those typos but a) I didn’t have the heart to mention them and b) I am so guilty of them myself in comments. My hubby is my “editor” for the blog.

I do try, Cheryl. My editor caught a funny one tonight in tomorrow’s post. I’m glad she did.

• dweezer19 says:

I really do edit but I think when you look at something so many times your mind sees what it meant and not always what was typed. It never fails that he finds some ONE thing. And being a Virgo he is pointing out the error first, never mind the impression. And I, being a tender Cancer crab, am feeling as though the technical things should fall behind words like “fabulous write!” Or “brilliant” Or even, “I sure liked that honey” . In his mind this is silly because of course he liked it and how could I not know. We really do need that Mars/Venus translator……
        PS I edited this comment and was nearly a tender ‘carb’. Lol now would that make me a muffin or a croissant?

My editor edited the Saturday post. After I got that back, I thought I needed to explain the gallery photos. I added one sentence and THREE typos. All of which, my friend in England found and commented on :(

Well at least I don’t feel so conspicuous now. 😉

17. I think you missed a prime opportunity for humorous commenting by not accidentally inserting an ‘e’ instead of an ‘i’ in ‘winch’.

And by the way, you forgot the ‘u’ in harbour. :P

*sips coffee from my “I’m silently correcting your grammar” mug, nods* ;D

The church stonework is truly magnificent!

20. Dan Hen says:

I have to go Stan myself in the temple now after reading this . Maybe in the Cathedral downtown .