Thursday Doors – Another Walk to the Javits

Brooks Brothers

Brooks Brothers

Last month, just before leaving for Pittsburgh, I had to travel to New York City for a meeting. Just like last year, there was a technology show at the Javits Center the day I had to be in the city. Since I didn’t have anything scheduled until dinner, I decided to check out the show.

I normally walk to the Javits Center, but when it’s raining, like it was that day, I always walk. That may sound counter-intuitive, but not to anyone who has ever tried to get a cab in the rain in NYC or who has been stuck in a cab in the rain in NYC. Walking is faster. If it isn’t really faster, it feels like it’s faster.

I was prepared for the rain, I had an umbrella in my car. I put it next to my backpack, so that I would remember it when I parked at Union Station in New Haven. When I got out of my car at the train station, I grabbed my bag, looked at the umbrella, wondered why it was on the seat and then put it on the floor “where it belongs.” Some days, a mind is just a terrible thing.

It didn’t matter. As soon as it starts raining, street vendors on every corner in NY are hawking $3 umbrellas. If you’re lucky, one might even last the whole day before blowing apart. This was one of those light annoying rainy days. Not enough water falling to make you want to put an umbrella up, cause then you have to navigate the crowd of raised umbrellas, but enough to eventually soak you to the bone.

I compromised. I wore my hood while walking and raised the umbrella when I wanted to use my camera. I’ve observed that good photographers are much more concerned about their gear and the quality of the shot, than they are their own comfort.

I took a slightly different route than I took last year, in the hopes of finding a few different doors. Given the end points of this trip, 49th St. and Lexington Ave. to 34th St. and 10th Ave., I have enough zig-zag routes to vary this trip for many years to come. I’ll be retired before I run out of options. Just in case of overlap, I checked last year’s post and deleted any duplicates. I think Norm deducts points for duplicates.

Norm? Who is Norm? Norm is the CEO of Thursday Doors, Inc. Each week, he creates a landing page for door freaks aficionados from around the world to post their door photos, drawings and descriptions. Take the elevator up to the penthouse, check out Norm’s doors and then look for the blue frog. Click that thingie and voilà – doors!

The doors in the gallery are described, as best as I can remember, research and / or guess.

This entry was posted in Thursday Doors, Travel and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to Thursday Doors – Another Walk to the Javits

1. Nice doors, Dan, along with a recount of how one maneuvers in NYC. :-) But, I really loved the umbrella story and ‘leaving it where it belonged.’

Of what I remember of NYC, it should give you quite a supply of images for your collection.

I’ve never heard of 1/3-2/3 doors–but I like them. The hotel I stay at every year in Orlando for work has revolving doors and I love to use them! They have regular doors, too, but I can use those at home, so revolve it is for this gal.

4. An attractively eclectic mix this week, Dan. I favor the Brooks Brothers doors, both of them, and the balcony, too. May you have everything you need today and put nothing back that shouldn’t be put away. (I think that must be some sort of Irish blessings, don’t you?) :-)

5. Nice collection of images. The diversity of door styles highlights the wide variety of architecture in New York. My husband has been working in the Javits Center for the last few months. I will need to ask him if he’s noted any of these doors and their buildings on his walks back and forth across midtown.

Thanks Laura. The building for the Hudson Tunnel is at the upper end of the block the Javits is on. I love being inside the center. The lines and the glass and the light just amaze me. The hard thing that day (day after election) was all the crowd-control fencing in place in front of hotels and the traffic, which puts cars and trucks in front of doors.

~happy sigh~ I’ve only been to NYC three times, but I love it love it LOVE IT! Your photos brought back the fizzy feeling of being there. I love the thread that vibrates through it from the past to the future. I love the brusque kindness of everyone we met there, and the flat recognition of the city’s flaws coupled with an incandescent pride in her.

Irish pub doors for me please and enjoyable stroll through one of my favorite cities to visit.
    I can so identify with your umbrella incident Dan. I seem to do this take-them-out-and-then-forget-them routine more and more often as I get older: sunglasses, hats, sweaters, scarves, gloves, the list goes on :-(

Those are all great doors, but I have a strange affection for the disproportionate wooden doors you used math to describe. :)

9. ianbcross says:

What an amazing selection of doors. Congratulations.

Dan, you are so fortunate to be able to experience NYC…the good, the bad, and all of the doors. NYC is on my bucket list. Some day I want to go to the Macy’s parade, see the Statue of Liberty, take a walk through Central Park, and see the holiday-decorated stores. I realize there’s more to the city than that, but these are my starting points.

11. Excellent collection of doors this week Dan! I’ve only been to NYC once but, was imagining all the routes you can take from your end points. That was neat being able to visualize that!

I love the marquees and lights too, and LOVED eating something from those Halal trucks almost everyday while there.

Wondering…is there a way for trucks to back up or get out of the entrance to the tunnel if they’re too big? What a traffic nightmare if not!

Loved the reflections of the line of yellow taxi’s too!

12. jan says:

You’re right – in NYC it’s often easier to walk then figure out either mass transport or taxis! The Irish bar looks tempting.

13. Interesting sign on that Irish pub: Irish Bar TIR NA NOG & Grill. What the heck is that?

14. jesh stg says:

The Helmsley building and the left one one the first row are beautiful! I guess if I have a choice like here, I choose the older, more stately ones.
    Had to chuckle about the umbrella torn apart by the wind. One time in Paris there was a storm, we got out of the car, and before we were on the other side of the street, there was such a gust of wind, the umbrella inverted and blown to pieces, and we entered a pizza place dripping wet, Interesting one can make up one’s mind very quickly which restaurant, when it’s weather like that.

I do like the older buildings that have maintained the original doors. Funny story about the umbrella and quickly choosing a place to eat. The street-sales umbrellas can’t take much wind. By the end of the day, you see blown out frames everywhere. Thanks for the comment.

15. I always miss NYC this time of year. Thanks, Dan

16. I enjoyed that post, Dan. It’s funny to see a bar called Tír na nÓg which means Land of Youth. Here in Ireland I’ve seen beauty salons with that name – for obvious reasons ;) but I don’t think I’ve come across any pubs, I must keep an eye out.

Thanks Jean. You should have replied earlier – someone asked about that name and I had to look it up and send him to the pub’s website. If I can find the land of youth inside a pub, I’m all for it.

Wow. What a colorful walk. I love all these places and doors Dan. But I rarely will suffer getting wet for a photo. Funny but when I was a teenager my best friend and I used to love rainwalikng, getting soaked and laughing while we danced around in it. My Mom rarely let us do it but when she did, it was so fun. Now I can’t stand getting rained on.. maybe the luxury of being saoked with nowhere to go is lost for me….you can share duplicates with me any time. I love your door adventures!

Thanks Cheryl. I don’t enjoy the rain, but this was case of “I’m gonna get wet anyway, so I might as well get some doors.”

My mother used to get mad at me because I loved walking through puddles.

The commentary was delightful, Dan! Yesterday am, my brother Rich had spent Wed night and we were bumping into each other from 5:00 till 5:30. (!) We had a nice meal out belatedly celebrating my b’day and talked of Mom going to Memory care unit. . .
    The Empire Theatre door and the duo doors to Madame Tussauds were my glitzy, fun favorite doors!
    Glad you took a different path, so many others you shared were wonderful! Thanks, Dan!
    Heading to Columbus Zoo, cold temps tonight after work but will hope a door or two will be available to take a pic of! Happy Friday and weekend, to you and the Editor. :)

Thanks Robin. I think NY has doors enough for everyone. I do like the theater entrances. The doors are often plain and boring, but they are surrounded by light and magic. Have a great weekend!

Oh, and Faith and your good, faithful Maddie. . . :)

20. Wonderful doors, Dan.
    Oh, by the way, I’m giving you a shout out next weekend at my 1920s party. I hope you can bring the virtual beer. Mega hugs.

21. Nice post but I’m LOL at your promotion of Norm to CEO of Doors; hope Norm realizes that next month he is about to get a 35% tariff levied for importing his Thursday Doors to the U.S.A. :)

The Helmsley building entrance is marvelous!

23. prior.. says:

Hi d.
    I really needed some NYC time today/ so I slowly enjoyed each photo !
    One of my favorite things about some photos are when folks capture a car or people
    And so details like the red truck – the white van reflection – people in front of the H. hotel – etc – well it gives originality and a flavor of right now.
    Even the cars inside the auto care place timestamp the era….
    And of course the pub!!
    Side note – I have a beer garden door to share next week… so fun – with an ad for a special job….
    But the gothic windows on the Irish pub doors are nice with the wood color.
    I could go on – but being realistic I will end with One final note….
    Never really saw s 2/3 and 1/3 doorway – very interesting

Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed these. NY photos almost always include random elements, but you’re right, it makes for an original scene.

I’ve seen the not-quite-half split doors in different Thursday Door posts before, but I don’t see many around here.

24. Great pictures. I follow this YouTube vlogger named Mark Weins. And he was in NYC lately and he showed us different boroughs of NYC starting with Manhattan, then Brooklyn, and Queens. I guess he skipped Long Island and Bronx, but I noticed that Manhattan is a bit cleaner than Queens and Brooklyn. Is that really the case? Even the food he ate in Manhattan was expensive than the food he ate in Queens.

25. Pingback: 1920s Party — Three Things Serial Story | Teagan's Books

26. Pingback: Thursday Doors – New York Mix | No Facilities

How did I manage to miss this door post … from a month ago?!

I’m with Mary on this one. You are fortunate to get into NYC. There’s just so much to see and so much to do, but you addressed the one thing I always wondered about .. all the umbrellas on rainy days. I’ve seen it movies and wondered how people managed without impaling each other in the eye.
    … but you have your priorities right. Save the camera equipment!!