One-Liner Wednesday – Perfection

dscn7983I guess I should put the explanation up front, lest I get in trouble with the folks who don’t like it when I make them look stuff up. So, in case you aren’t aware. R.O.I. stands for return on investment and it’s a typical, albeit often meaningless (in my opinion), measure of the value of a purchase/project. That said, in this case, I happen to like the expression. Next week’s one-liner will be “when you need 73 words to explain your one-line Wednesday post, please reconsider.”

I heard this recently while attending a seminar. We were discussing a planned effort to make an information system an even more satisfying experience for the people who use it, when a friend said:

The ROI of perfection is very low.”

I liked the expression the minute I heard it. I’ve often repeated a similar bit of advice to the designers and programmers working for me:

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.”

But, I think the ROI version is more “professional” and, unfortunately, including a buzz-word often helps get peoples’ attention.

The reason I picked this expression for today, has to do with the photos I tried to take this past weekend. First off, I think the photos I envisioned were better than the ones that were possible. Second, Maddie. I took these while walking Maddie, and I tried the “get closer to your subject” approach, but kneeling seems to mean “I want to play with you” in dog. Third, I’m still trying to figure out the Close-up mode on this camera, which seems to lie somewhere between normal photo and macro.

Unlike my first attempt, I kinda like the photos in the Gallery:

This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s fun weekly series One-Liner Wednesday. Some day, I’ll have one that is closer to one line

This entry was posted in One Line Wed, Pets, Photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to One-Liner Wednesday – Perfection

1. Pingback: One-Liner Wednesday – Perfection — No Facilities – All About Writing and more

I think these turned out great,Dan. I am a fan of sparkly so the sun shining on the ice is beautiful. And Maddie…she is gorgeous.

I really like the brown leaf frozen on the blue crystallized effects of ice – but then again Maddie sure looks like she found something of interest hidden beneath the snow.

4. The ice photos were nice, but the Maddie photos were perfect. :-) We spent several ‘long’ hours yesterday inching across your home state of CT. It was like one giant parking lot that periodically moved at 5-25 mph. Wow – never seen such congested roads. I salute your efforts to get to and from work every day.

Thanks Judy. And, on behalf of my adopted state, I’m sorry for your trouble. This is why I get to work an hour before my starting time. Maddie has turned into quite the photobomb expert. I think she reads these comments.

5. quiall says:

I think the pictures are great. And I agree with Maddie: I like the sounds you can make in the snow. (Just in case . . . HI MADDIE!)

Very nice photos, Dan. If you were a co-worker, I would tell you, “Good enough for government work.” It’s what I tell myself when I try to live in Perfect Land.

7. The leaf photos are very artistic, Dan. Have a wonderful Wednesday. Hugs.

8. cwaugh212 says:

There is no substitute for going out there and experimenting with new equipment. You got some beautiful shots. dscn7984 is exquisite.

“The ROI of perfection is very low.”

Except when it comes to building aircraft and brakes.

I was going to suggest that when our President-elect questioned the cost of Air Force One. I would think that would be a spare-no-expense project. My understanding is that when that puppy flies overseas, we fly in our own fuel for the return trip.

10. Don says:

Love the images Dan.

Dan, these are great! If they aren’t perfect, I don’t know what is. I love it that Maddie likes the sound she makes when she crunches through the ice. :)

12. I love the light and shadows, colors and textures in the leaf images.

I can’t believe Maddie’s paws don’t get too cold.

13. Can’t imagine trying to cross ice with Maddie in tow (or the other way around) Enjoyed the post.

14. Val Boyko says:

I love these perspectives Dan. The photos are great. You are lucky that Maddie stayed still long enough for you to get them!

15. I like the shots, too, Dan, and heartily agree with the sentiments expressed in your article. :-) I have to be careful, though, as I tend towards trying to be a perfectionist.

Thanks Janet. Striving for perfection is a good thing. It can be dangerous in my line of work, because you can always make a system better, but it doesn’t do anyone any good while it’s still a work in progress.

16. In marketing – my pre-retirement career – ROI was a big deal. Now that I’m retired, I’m much more interested in the pictures of leaves and, of course, Maddie.

Detail ice leaf is perfection. (Sorry, but it is.) I usta lean harder toward perfect, and now I find I only seek it in despair, which reminds me I was often in despair and so good enough is perfect. And sane.
    Maddie is soooo pretty! I can’t walk on ice with Sadie, either, though, so I get it. She, too, likes to lick the water that splashes out when she romps :)

Maybe Sadie and Maddie understand perfection better than we do. Maybe it’s the water beneath the ice :)

Thanks for the comment. I do like these photos and I am trying to learn how to use this camera, better. Maddie was having a hard time walking in the parking lot. I was looking for the fastest way off the ice.

Awesome shots Dan. I love the ons with Maddie in them. The color of her coat is such a lovely contrast against the pure white snow!

19. LindaGHill says:

I think your photos turned out well, despite the playful Maddie. But you coulda put a spoiler alert in for next week’s One-Liner Wednesday! Sheesh. ;)

It’s dangerous out there. Be careful!

21. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, great photos! I like the leaf freeze/ thaw color detail! Well, any photo with Maddie in it is a favorite too! Happy New Year! 🎆 Christine

22. prior.. says:

I have never seen icy photos of leaves like this and the one maddie let u get without the photobomb was a too one. I also like the “across the ice” – but really enjoyed this brisk photographer’s walk….

23. Great post and great images.

Leaves with frost or shimmery ice are beautiful, as is the lovely Maddie. :) She would keep me amused and entertained, as well as the grandies!

Hmmm, “entertained,” yes, that’s one way of putting it. Although we also use frustrated and a few other words. She’s a sweet girl, but she can be a handful at times. She is pretty patient with me as I try to get photos while we walk. I’m glad you like these.

25. Pingback: Vacation Salvation/Ress Fun – Tropical Affair