Resolutions & Reflections from the Bar

For the love of beer

The perfect place and beverage to share some casual conversation.

If we were having a beer, you’d want to know about my resolutions…again.

“So, any New Year’s resolutions, or are you still thinking about them.”

“You know I don’t like making resolutions.”

“Bad track record?”

“No, it’s arbitrary. I’m just as likely to think of an important goal on a random Saturday in April than I am on December 31st.”

“As long as you boys don’t ‘resolve’ to give up beer and wine or to join a gym program on Saturday afternoons, I’m fine. And, to show my appreciation, here’s a Jack’s Abby and a Meiomi, on the house.”

“Thank you Cheryl. I’m surprised to see you here today.”

“I hope you meant ‘pleasantly surprised’ but I’m only here until 4:00.”

“You’re going to miss the celebration.”

“Pfff, trust me, it’s not a pretty sight from behind the bar. Last year, I was wiping something up as the ball was dropping.

“New Year’s Eve is overrated, but I happen to believe that New Year’s resolutions are important.”

“Again with that? What did you resolve to do in 2016?”

“2016? I was asking you about 2017.”

“Yeah, yeah. But if you think these things are so important, what did you accomplish last year?”

“Let’s say I was guided by a series of goals.”

“In other words, you quit the gym, fell off the wagon and gained 5 pounds.”

“You’re evading the question, my young friend. What do you resolve to do, in 2017?”

“I will resist all temptation to expand blogging beyond my current schedule of 4 times a week.”

“Well, thank God for that, but that doesn’t count. it’s not like the world is clamoring for you to write more often.”

“I’ll give up beer, other than: Yuengling, Brooklyn Lager, House Lager, Boston Lager, Corona, Dos Equis and the local favorite lager when traveling.”

“Can you please be serious? There must be something you want to accomplish in 2017.”

“Nothing comes to mind.”

“See, if I hadn’t already resolved to be kinder, I’d make a remark about the empty field that is your mind.”

“Ouch. You want a refill on that wine?”

“I do, Cheryl. Is it still on the house?”

“I’ll buy the next round. And, I resolve to be more equitable in how often I pick up the tab in 2017.”

“That’s not fair.”

“What do you mean?”

“You pick up more tabs than I do. If you keep that resolution, it will cost me money.”

“Well then, you should resolve to be careful what you wish for.”

“Touché. Now, if I can’t get a resolution out of you, how about a hope?”

“World peace.”

“That’s never going to happen. How about a real hope?”

“I hope Sammy returns to blogging.”

“Who’s Sammy.”

Female blogger at bemuzin.com.”

“Ahh, the one who roped you into talking about bras?”

“I like to think that: she helped me get comfortable commenting on female-authored blogs.”

“Well, I like to think that ‘I was guided by a series of goals in 2016’, but we all know the real story.”

“You boys want any food? Or, have you resolved to eat healthier in the new year?”

“I’ll have an order of BBQ wings, Cheryl.”

“What about you?”

“I’ll steal a couple of his wings. You really should think about eating healthier.”

“Who’s to say that ‘all things in moderation’ isn’t a worthwhile resolution?”

“I am.”

“Who put you in charge?”

“I’m older than you, ergo wiser. Since you refuse to look forward, how about the past? Any 2016 likes or dislikes, any regrets?”

“Too many good people died.”

“Yes, but I was asking about you. Didn’t you used to look back by sharing photos from throughout the year?”

“I took too many photos.”

“You do take a lot, but you had some nice ones.”

“Can you pick 10 that you liked?”

“To be honest, I could probably pick more than 10.”

“That’s my problem. How do I get it down to a manageable number to share?”

“When did you become concerned with manageable amounts? Wait. Is that your resolution? ‘Cuz I’d support that.”

“It’s good to know I can count on my friends.”

“OK, here’s some advice. Forget 10, that’s too low. I noticed that your blog-buddy out in California had 30 photos from 2016. 30’s a good number.”

“She’s a better photographer.”

“Cheryl, another beer for Monsieur Descartes.”

“Huh?”

You once mentioned him as a favorite mathematician. A subject that now seems beyond your ability. If 10 is too low and 30 is too high, might I suggest 20.”

“You know, 20 might work. Five that were viewed most often. Five that were marked as favorites. Five that drew comments and five that…”

“How about five that you like?”

“Hmmm, maybe you are wiser.”

“Happy New Year grasshopper.”

You may recognize some of the photos in the gallery from previous posts.

This entry was posted in Humor, If having a beer, Perspective and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Resolutions & Reflections from the Bar

1. I am going to resolve to be less generous to my bookie. He’s been to Barbados twice this year and I paid for both trips. :(

I think I’ve over-done the done beer!

Yup, I’ve done it – and sent you the wrong pix to boot!!

4. Great selection of photos that cover your interests. Good choices. :-) Resolutions remind me of Lent when I was a kid. I remember always saying I was going to give up all the right (or bad) things and that never happened. Candy and using swear words were always high on the list. They should still be high on the list, but a woman my age needs a few exceptions. :-) Whatever you have planned tonight and tomorrow, Dan, I hope you enjoy your time off. Have a great 2017, and please don’t give up drinking good beer. :-)

Thanks Judy. I don’t think there’s any danger of me giving up good beer. In fact, in a pinch, I’ve been known to lower my standards. New Years Eve is always a quiet time here. We stay off the roads and away from crowds. I sometimes make it to midnight, with the help of the Twilight Zone Marathon. I will enjoy the long weekend, the last one we’ll have for several months. I hope you enjoy the arrival of 2017 and I hope you have a great year. Thanks so much for your support!

5. quiall says:

I like Maddie’s picture best! My resolution? I resolve to make it to 2018!

6. I’m so glad that your good beers and mine don’t conflict! That way we’ll always have ours. :-) I’ve sometimes done resolutions and sometimes not. But I, like you, think of goals at times other than Jan.1 or Dec. 31. I think it’s a good idea to have a place to write them down and then go back periodically to see what I’ve accomplished, revise, or even delete.

We won’t be doing much to celebrate New Year’s Eve. We will be watching the Ohio State-Clemson game, although my husband will probably not want to watch unless OSU is far ahead. He can’t take the stress. :-) Many years ago, we stayed up one NYE night to watch the festivities and the ball drop…then wondered why we bothered. At my age, (or any of my ages), a good night’s sleep is worth much more.

Happy New Year to you and yours, Dan.

Thanks Janet. Tell your husband that I can root for OSU and if my team (Pitt) can beat Clemson, his team should be able to. If I stay up, it will be in front of the Twilight Zone Marathon, but I do enjoy a good night’s sleep. Happy New Year & Go Buckeyes.

I’m with you, Dan. I don’t like New Year’s Resolutions. I do however reflect to look over the past year to recall the good along with the bad. I’ve had a few hard years as you well know with many losses in my life which still as you can imagine hurt. I’ve determined to take all that I have experienced with me into the New Year to create create create. As for your gallery today wowza! I LOVE the pic of Faith whose pose is stunning. I don’t doubt that pic received the most views! Your pics of the beach and the Pennsylvania barn had me sighing for warmth and summer. The beach had me drooling and wishing …. I now wish I had had the time to go through my posts to see which ones were the top ones in 2016 and show the pics associated with them. Perhaps next year. Happy New Year to you and your family, dear friend!! I look forward in seeing what we both do this coming year!! Much Love, <3

Thanks Amy. I’m always amazed by the choices people make at Flickr. I like all of these, but I like some that drew little interest. I think as long as I like them, I’m good. I don’t know how you would sort through yours, they all seem like winners. If I had to choose, I’d go with the magically lit flowers. I’m sure you know which ones I’m talking about.

HEY DAN! GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT??? Yeungling is coming to Indiana in the spring!!!!! Imma get a Black and Tan. Oh, and “it’s not like the world is clamoring for you to write more often.” — I AM! :) The oftenerer, the bettererer.

Oh that’s great news Marian! If it makes it to Indiana, maybe, just maybe it will make it to Iowa. I’m very happy for you. Ironically, I am going to start the year by bending my resolution. I just finished an #SoCS post, but I’m counting it as part of 2016 so I don’t officially the rules. I just couldn’t resist, because the prompt got those voices yacking.

Wax on. Wax off. I’m with you–resolutions are so overrated. Happy New Year, Dan. Keep on keepin’ on. I so enjoy your posts.

10. I am not in favor of New Year’s resolutions either. Other than maybe send my posts through WordPress spell check thingy for typos. Happy New Year and I am glad we have read each other and shared a few comments over the past couple of years. :)

All the photos are winners in my opinion :)

In the end, the only thing that really matters is that we survive the year, preferably with our sense of humour still intact. I think that might be my resolution ;)

12. Nice portfolio, Dan. Enjoyed the year. I look forward to another

I remember almost all of those and some of them are simply unforgettable. The curtains in the wind, the gears, the bird, the tracks…
    I miss Sammy, too!
    Happy New Year to you & yours :)

😀You take great photos!

15. Val Boyko says:

Great portfolio Dan! May your sheets continue to be fresh and move in the breeze in 2017 💛

16. jan says:

How can you take too many pictures! Love these shots – my favorite is the dog in the snow! Happy New Years!

You know what? “Everything in moderation” sounds like the perfect resolution to me. Happy New Year, Dan!

18. As long as you include photos of Maddie, MiMi, and MuMu (you claim that you have two cats, but I’m not so sure), I’m good. I miss Sammy too! I still feel as if I’ve lost a good friend… do you ever hear from her outside the blogosphere? I’m not a fan of resolutions (for me, at least) either.

19. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, I’m not a fan of resolutions either! Have just promised myself to write more in 2017. Even just a page or two of the book will do. No pressure! Research is complete so it will be easier to just write! Loved all your photos! Of course, the cats, Maddie, Faith & sunsets are always favorites! Happy New Year! 🎆 Christine

20. The railroad bridge and Faith’s picture are the best ones in the lot. I’m not much of a New Year resolution person. In fact, I am not sure how I make choices. I believe my choices are driven by my passion and life purpose. If I believe I have to do it, I will do it, irrespective of how big the challenges is and what time of the year it is. If my heart says don’t do it, I won’t do it. Also, I don’t believe in New Year resolutions is because I believe the best time to start a new journey is now. So, every day is a new beginning for me.

21. Pingback: Last Post or First Post | No Facilities

22. So many great images in your gallery! I think the way you selected them was clever. Perhaps much easier than choosing your personal favorites.

I left comments on several images. Just noted what struck me when I saw the image. The Power Towers in silhouette, the shadows on the wall with the crane, the train tracks in the fog…those are my Top 3… Maddie in the snow put a smile on my face. Great gallery of images, and you write well too!

I hope we’re both able to get out and about make more images, and stay healthy in 2017.

Thanks for the mention and link to my blog. I’m going to do better this year and whittle my favorites down to…well under 30! :) Happy New Year to you and yours Dan!

Thanks Deborah. I have one more mention for you coming tomorrow. Tomorrow’s was planned, this one wasn’t, but when you did your review, it fell into my conversation too easily to pass up.

I wasn’t able to figure out how to constrain Flickr’s stats to just 2016. That’s why I ended up with some older ones. I need to be better about posting to Flickr in 2017, especially since I don’t have a lot of overlap between people who follow here and who follow there.

I liked your comments on the photos, I added mine. The funniest one is the power lines you liked. I was parked there to get photos of the building across the street. Not too many people liked the building, but they liked the substation. I guess we never know what will work.

23. jolynnpowers says:

some times when I read your posts I just get you….. I mean I think like you.. too many died and to many photos to pick through… funny thats me too!. So just so I dont have to write about how crappy 2016 looks to me I think I will do a photo post of some of the things that did make me happy and call it done. Thanks for the idea and keep them coming in 2017 Happy New Year

24. Bee Halton says:

Happy new year! My resolutions are in my post tomorrow. Am not sure though if I meant them in a serious way :-). Great post and great photos. Thanks for sharing :-)

25. Happy New Year! Like you I’ve mixed feelings about resolutions. But it doesn’t mean that we don’t have goals and try to live each day at its fullest, right? In any case, I wish you the very best as well as to your wife, daughter and pets.

Exactly! Goals are very important, but they can be formed at any point and they can change without it being an indication of failure. Thanks for the good wishes, Evelyne. I wish you and yours the same.

26. Pingback: Warning Signs | Notes Tied On The Sagebrush

27. prior.. says:

Enjoyed the conversating and how it led into some wonderful photos – the honto of purple-pink in the levee shot and the blue in ft Lauderdale are my fav for color.
    I remember the gears from the door post – but seeing that photo showed the grandness.
    And cool shot of faith/ love her grey sweater !

Anyhow – it has been so enjoyable seeing some bloggers share their top photos – really a highlight of my week.
    Also – the one CM used for Paul – that is really a special photo.
    And here is to letting some nice goals guide us….
    And wings are an important health food –

Thanks. I ‘ll have to bookmark this page to show my doctor your (official) comment about wings. I, too have enjoyed people sharing their favorite photos from the past year. The birds on the beach photo is still gaining ground on Flickr. Sometimes, I don’t know what makes a photo popular, but I really like that one.

• prior.. says:

Yeah – the way some photos (and posts) take off is not always known….
        And life without wings would be like life without coffee or tea – and hope I never have to give those things up.
        And not to say I want wings every day – but at least every season- especially good wings.

28. Jennie says:

This is one terrific post; so well written with humor and subtle points. Love it!

29. Golly I missed this place – Happy New Year, Dan – and please let me know if you here from our pal Sammy.