Winter Coats

Maddie is always happy when it snows.

Maddie is always happy when it snows.

This is typically the hardest week of the year for me to publish on this blog. That’s because I write most of my posts for the week on the previous weekend. Not the whole posts, but a good working draft. I find that once I have a draft, I can smush it into some sense of order without much time being required. Unfortunately, this past weekend was Twilight Zone Marathon weekend, known in some places as New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

It’s particularly hard to write while watching the Twilight Zone. I can write while watching football. I can write while watching The big Bang Theory. I’m watching an episode of Star Trek the Original Series: “Wink of an Eye” where the people on a planet are moving so fast they can’t be seen and can only be heard as insect-like sounds. It’s a good story, but I’ve seen it.

Of course, I’ve seen EVERY Twilight Zone episode before, too. I’ve seen them multiple times, during multiple marathons. I own the DVDs. Whenever I cat-sit my daughter’s cats, I watch episodes on Netflix. She has Netflix, I don’t – yet. I think I may sign up for Netflix and Sling TV and drop my cable connection down to some affordable level. I’m watching Star Trek on BBC, which is Channel 158. The Science Channel is channel 100. Somewhere in between is the NFL Network, but I only watch that about 4 times a year. I watch a few channels in between 100 and 55. 55 is SyFy, which is where the Twilight Zone Marathon is. SyFy and BBC are also on Sling – Are you listening COX Cable? See a pattern forming?

I’m gonna tweet them later. To give them a head’s up on what’s on the horizon.

Anyway, I thought that I’d just share some photos today. I have some from some recent walks with Maddie. Then, I opened my email and found the Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt from the mistress of the impossible, Linda G. Hill.

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday and Just Jot It January is: “coat.” Use it any way you’d like. Have fun!

Living in New England, in January, the word ‘coat’ quickly leads to ‘winter coat’ because, well, winter. It’s going to be 13°f (-10.5°c) tonight, so a winter coat is in order. We also got a light coating of snow yesterday. The forecast when I got up at 5:00 am called for “partly cloudy skies with a slight chance of snow.” When I left for work, it was snowing pretty hard. When I got to work, I texted my wife: “Cloudy with a slight chance of snow? These guys need a window.”

I thought about using that and some of the snow photos for Linda’s One-Liner Wednesday, next week. That’s five days away, and the voices in my head are running the show now. I’ll just have to hope for something else to come along between now and then. I guess you’re getting the snow photos today.

Speaking of winter coats, you know who doesn’t have a winter coat? Maddie. Irish Setters don’t have an undercoat. It’s the undercoat that thickens in the winter and thins (sheds) in the spring. Maddie just has hair. Irish Setters also don’t have a lot of body fat. That would make you think they wouldn’t like being out in the cold, but that’s not the case. Maddie doesn’t seem to mind the cold – at – all, and she loves the snow. So, we walk in the winter just like we walk in the summer. Actually, she prefers to walk in the cold than in the heat. So do I.

You know what does have a winter coat? Holiday M&Ms. They have a red and green coat. Of course, those are normal M&M colors, but at Christmastime, you can buy bags of M&Ms that are only red and green. I’d have pictures of those, but I finished the bag before Linda posted the prompt.

I guess I forgot about the Twilight Zone. Sorry. My mind wanders on #SoCS Saturdays. I think the writing on that show was so good that I can’t compete. I think the part of my brain that puts words together is too busy taking Rod Serling’s words apart. I mentioned before that that’s the kind of “multi-tasking” that our brains can’t do.

I think I’m going to gather some photos and coat a bowl with some chocolate ice cream. Thanks for reading.

This entry was posted in Blogging, New England Life, SoCS and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

106 Responses to Winter Coats

1. Enjoy your shows, Dan. Stay warm. Hugs.

No wonder we get along!! Twilight Zone has always been a favorite of mine. Not only to mention, Rod Serling had been a paratrooper in my father’s division during WWII. I catch the show sometimes on ME TV channel.

3. quiall says:

hahah I love your posts! (Hi Maddie!) As I am reading this the temperature outside is -20C with the windchill (-4 F). I might just watch Netflex today, The Twilight Zone is a good choice.

4. One measly photo of Maddie? Really? :-) Your celebration of the New Year holiday sounds as exciting as mine. :-) If you can figure out how to get basic television and not pay the cable company an amount of money that use to be a car payment, please post about it. I have Netflix, and they have a little something for everyone but it is mostly a place to find reruns.

I think Hulu is better for current shows. Sling offers 20-30 channels. I haven’t done the math, but COX just bumped our rates up again, adding 10 channels I don’t want in order to keep one that I do.

• It really is a racket isn’t it? Who knew we’d be held hostage and required to pay a ransom to watch tv. :-) There is TimeWarner here in the condo, and it is the most unfriendly cable I have ever tried to use. One example – there is no guide. You just have to go around the world in order to try and find something. :-)

5. msgt3227 says:

We dropped cable tv service about a year ago, bought one of the new-fangled indoor hi-def antennae (for under $20), and get 14 or 15 broadcast channels. Also added Netflix, and bought a Roku a few months ago. The only thing we cannot watch is BBC programming (like Graham Norton…) which we can catch on YouTube a few days/weeks after original airing… Boy am I a happy chappy these days!!

My daughter has dropped cable completely. I’m not sure I’m ready to do that, but the “packages” that I have that offer 10-25 channels (when I only want 1-3) really have to go. SlingTV carries BBC. It’s one reason why I would probably add Sling to the mix if I cut back.

6. Jennie says:

My favorite Twilight Zone episode: “The Fifth Dimension”. Love that show! Happy writing.

It’s going to be 10F there tonight? I don’t believe our high is going to get that warm. I’m holding my breath until Monday, when it’s supposed to warm up and snow. I’ll take the snow any day over the cold. Speaking of which, how many inches will be added to Mount Maddie from this latest east coast storm?

I find it hysterically funny that you say this is the hardest week for you to write posts, yet you always have something to say. You have a gift, Dan.

Thanks Mary. I really wouldn’t have had anything without the SoCS prompt. When that thing works, the words just flow.

I know, 10 isn’t cold by your standards, but I don’t live in Wisconsin, so I get to complain about 10. I’m not sure when you get to complain, but I’m sure there’s a ‘-‘ in front of the number(s).

Mt. Maddie has dwindled to a small patch of icy compressed snow. They’re only calling for 3-5″ today. I’ll have to work to build up a sizable pile for her, because the forecast for the end of the week is 49° and rain :(

Hang in there. I hope the game tomorrow warms you up – Go Pack!

• bikerchick57 says:

I complain when highs are below 10 or 15, depending on the wind chill. The wind has been kicking at 15-20 mph, so our high today is really a minus number. I have to go out for a little while this morning, but I’m staying in the rest of the day…Baking bread, making soup, watching football.

I hope Maddie gets a permanent mountain for at least a month or two this winter. Go snow!

It’s beyond bracingly cold here and I’m hoping for no coat of snow. I’ve already had to postpone a trip north to my sister’s place because of snow squalls (in her area, not mine) and today’s my last chance to see her before they disappear for the winter in Florida again (cowards).

I wish I had known earlier about the Twilight Zone Marathon weekend. I would have set up the PVR to record it all for later enjoyment. Now that I think of it, it wouldn’t have mattered much anyway since both our cable and internet went out on New Year’s Eve for 18 hours. That wasn’t much fun.

Looks like this SOC writing is somewhat contagious. I better cut this off now before this comment becomes a post of its own. Happy Saturday!

9. Bee Halton says:

So so jealous. I want some snow too. Still hoping here in pretty warm UK. Well, at leastbin Norfolk that is :-)

10. Bee Halton says:

Uhm, ” at least in ” bless the autocorrect that I stopped a few days ago :-)

11. I loved Twilight Zone. I’ve seen them all. Go Steelers. Your photos made me shiver today. Well done.

12. LindaGHill says:

Lovely pictures Dan. I especially like the one out of the office window with the shadowy leaves. So says the “mistress of the impossible.” ;)

13. Your weatherman went to the same school as ours. I like your nighttime image of “slight chance of snow.”

I love that you can see the smile on Maddie’s face! My son gave us his Netflix password (is that cheating??!!) so we use that from time to time. I am not a TV watcher but I did love Grace and Frankie. We are cold here in sunny FL. It stormed yesterday and temps were in the 30’s, dipping into the 20’s last night. No comments, Dan! :D

I was going to comment above, but 20s are cold, especially for you folks who gave up winter for Lent and never returned. I watch a lot of older shows, so Netflix seems to be a good fit for me. I don’t know if I can save much money, but it’s getting to the point where I would do it for the principle of the matter. The cable company just keeps moving the number higher and higher by filling in a ton of stations I’ll never watch.

This was a great way to answer both stream of consciousness and using the various applications of “coat,” Dan! No sugar coating this. . . :)
    As a painter I like to add “an extra cost” on watercolors to help them become deeper in color. I didn’t like when I was a home owner when someone didn’t add an extra coat of paint to drywall.
    My favorite coat was a long “maxi” one in purple shade of velvet. It sounds wild but it was rather muted and deep. Now I wish I still had it to wear on a gloomy gray day! Fortunately, today is sunny but brittle with cold air!

PS Maddie and M & M’s made this an extra special post. I meant to say this before the comment: No sugar coat-ing it! :)

17. I wish I had time to read all the comments this morning, Dan, but I have to go to work soon and still have some things to do. I always enjoy your SOCS rambles. We have Netflix and it’s saved us a lot of money. Prior to that, Bill always wanted to go to movies which, even at the second-run theater, are about $4/person. Netflix was then $7.99/month (now still a bargain at $9.99 per) and once we got that, he rarely mentioned movies again. Of course, he can now also binge on other shows and we worked our way through “NCIS” (I’d already seen almost every one), “Blue Bloods” (ditto), etc. He also binges on weird sci-fi/fantasy movies and is just getting ready to start new PlayStation game.

Ok, that turned into a ramble as well. I didn’t know that setters didn’t have an undercoat, but I know that pit bulls need a coat when they go out in the winter, as they have very, very short hair. When we had our rescues, we went out in all sorts of weather. Our first dog, Janie, loved the cold and snow and we walked and walked on days when the only other dogs we saw were only out to do their business. :-)

Thanks Janet. We have to be Maddie’s “brains” when it comes to the cold. She doesn’t mind, but that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t. All four setters we’ve had have loved the cold and the snow, even as puppies. They’re just crazy dogs.

Beautiful photos! Naturally, I love the picture of Maddie with her big smile, but the others are wonderful, too. Amazing, in fact. I especially love the one with the snow in the streetlight, the rocks with their coat of wet, the squirrel, and that first tree.

Thanks Marian. Thanks especially for liking more than one photo, It makes me feel better about including more than one. I wish the photo of Maddie was better quality, but she was moving very fast and she was coming toward me. I was amazed I got anything,

19. John Holton says:

We cut the cord a couple of years ago and haven’t found a reason to go back to cable. We’re not interested in the channels offered by Sling TV, but depending on what you like it might be worth it. MeTV, which we get over-the-air, runs “Twilight Zone” weeknights at 12:30 AM.

thanks for the input. I still have some research to do. My wife doesn’t watch mych TV at all, but I want it to be easy for her to watch the news or weather if I’m not here. That’s why I might keep basic cable. I have to get Internet from Cox, anyway, so it should work. I’m just so tired of having to buy 200 channels to get access to the 12-15 that I actually watch.

20. I watched a few Twilight Zone episodes back in the early 80s. They freaked me out. Usually that episode where the man seems to be just back from visiting aliens or something. I wish they’d make a just green coat M&M bag..in plain and peanut. Dream come true. Tons of snow here and I’m with Maddie.

Your credit card might not like to hear this, but you can order all-one-color bags by the pound, Audrey. There are still some episodes, or at least some scenes that freak me out, but I’ve been watching the Zone since it was one the air when I was a little kid. You and Maddie might look good together in the snow – both redheads :)

21. I never knew that Irish Setters don’t have an undercoat. Cody does, but even with the heavier winter coat, I don’t let her say outside for more than about 20 minutes when the temps dip into single digits. Her coat might keep her warm enough, but her little paws freeze up pretty quickly.

I truly think Sadie didn’t belong in Georgia any more than I did. She loves the snow and cold as much as I do. But she has limits. When the wind hits her face, sometimes she’ll just be like, “No thank you, I will hold it.” LOL
    Great pictures — the rocks in the levee look like ice :)

One of the streaming services now offers The Twilight Zone :) All of it!

Sadie sounds like a smart little pup. Both on not liking the heat and knowing when it’s too cold. I would not want to be a dog in Georgia or that south. Maddie and I were standing out in the cold rain on Tuesday. She shook off the water and looked at me as if to say “why are we here?” I was like “if you pee, we can go back inside!” She really doesn’t get it sometimes.

23. I and Maddie would love to play around in the snow. I’m not sure how long I’ll survive out there, but I would give it a try. It’s 15 degree Celsius here and that’s a decent winter temperature here. Vasai is colder than Mumbai so it’s quite pleasant.

24. Very nice photos. And Netflix is great. I am hooked on all the Star Trek, finished watching Voyager already and still have Deep Space Nine in between watching English Detective Mysteries. No longer have cable. :)

25. Nato says:

The Twilight Zone. Oh how I have missed that show. I need to check out my Netflix for some episodes. I can see how writing during those shows would be futile. You really need to watch everything to pick up on all that is going on. Love the snow pics too. I totally get the wandering mind issue. That happens to me quite frequently. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Oh my Dan this pist was like walking a labyrinth. And just as intriguing! I get it about Twilight Zone. I like watching it periodically just to remind myself how visionary Serling was and how relevant to the current issues the episodes still are. Second poor Maddie. No real fur coat? Maybe she’s canine menopausal? Thirdly, yes, dirch the cable in favor if other venues except for the most basic channels. Before you choose though, also check out Hulu. It has really stepped it up a notch. Im thinking if cganging from Netflix. Hulu plays lots more old and classic shows as well as more current films. My favorite Twilight Zone? The woman who wakes up in a hospital as the “ugly” duckling in a workd of pig faced normal people. Classic. Stay warm!

Thanks Cheryl. The hair-only deal with Maddie is a characteristic of the breed. She’s normal (at least as far as her coat goes). I need to look into the different options. I’d like to keep the basic stuff to have some simple options for news and some sports, but the cost keeps increasing and the value for what we pay is becoming lower and lower. One of the things I need to consider is the difference between Hulu and Netflix. This “research” will have to wait until mid-February at the earliest, but I appreciate all the comments I’m getting today.

27. jan says:

I don’t know how you can eat ice-cream on a cold day! Brrrr. I watched a bit of the Twilight zone and then starting noticing how close it is to our current reality and got depressed!

You are so right, Jan. Of course, we usually say that “it has a timeless quality” without trying to focus on the other side of that coin. I can eat ice cream on any day.

28. prior.. says:

Your photos are awesome and enjoyed the bit of talk about your shows – and I think I mentioned that we had some twilight zones waiting on DVR – but only got to one – with my son after we watched “sneaky pete” and cooked some food. Bonding.
    And agree about the writing on twilight zone …. they were ahead of their time in so many ways – ❄️

Thanks. The timeless nature of the themes he chose, is almost a little depressing.

• prior.. says:

it is….
        and really makes one think.
        I also love seeing the fashion and stage set ups.
        and you know, so many episodes move at a slower pace… shows how we have changed that way too

They had so little to work with back then. No special effects as we know them. Camera angles, lighting, dialog, acting and directing were the keys.

• prior.. says:

yeah – crazy when we think of it.
            and the episode we enjoyed was “no time like the past”
            I am sure you know all of them well….
            it is
            where the guy who went back in a time machine – and almost shot Hitler and then maybe to change two other things….
            gets you thinking about so much….

“Exit one Paul Driscoll, a creature of the twentieth century. He puts to a test a complicated theorem of space-time continuum, but he goes a step further, or tries to. Shortly, he will seek out three moments of the past in a desperate attempt to alter the present, one of the odd and fanciful functions in a shadowland known as the Twilight Zone.”

29. Dan Hen says:

A coating we will go ; after the show , after the show . Coating a bowl with ice cream , though ? Oh , no , no ,no ,no ,no no , no. Of course , don’t coat me on this .

That light coat of snow hit all the way down to where I live here in the Tennessee mountains. Although it’s nippy out there and I’m feeling kind of restricted because of the mobility issue, I’m so glad to see it. I don’t feel as far away from Colorado.

Is Sling TV any good?

31. Joanne Corey says:

Thanks for helping Linda out with #JusJoJan.

This post was so much fun! It had lots of things to which I can relate, including New England, where I grew up, snow, writing, frustration with cable companies, and Rod Serling, who grew up in the area where I now live.

Stay warm, Dan. Loved your night pictures …. there was just something about them that pulled at me. And of course I smiled when I saw Maddie running through the snow. Of course. Lucky dog doesn’t have to get dressed like we do. LOL <3

33. JoAnna says:

I miss Star Trek and TZ since I don’t have a lot of cable or time. But maybe I’ll get netfix or watch one on YouTube. Thanks for the memories and the fun intro to Maddie. I didn’t know Irish Setters didn’t have an undercoat.

34. It’s pouring here and really gusty. I’m hoping when the storm is over there’ll be snow up on Mt. Hamilton. #1 Grandson would love to see the snow. I’m not venturing out today any farther than the side yard to let Diva Dog do her thing, but I’ll be donning my rain coat, and she in her Winter sweater…she probably doesn’t get a winter coat either since has hair not fur.

I bought Christmas Dark M&M’s and just opened the bag yesterday. I’ve been nibbling on a few after lunch. That’s when I prefer my chocolate I’ve found…right after lunch.

Stay warm out there on Mt. Maddie!

35. Like Maddie my Lab used to love snow. She also loved the warmth of the house when she had been outside for a while. She never got to live in NE. I bet she would have loved it. Stay warm in your coat up there.

36. I love this. I love Twilight Zone, though I tend to think New Year’s before Twilight Zone. As for coats…. under 50 degrees requires a coat. Under 30 degrees requires gloves, scarf, earmuffs, hood, boots, long John’s and a flipping fast forward to summer. Great pictures. I want to hug Maddie even though she seems as insane as my beast and is energized by the cold and the snow.

37. brickthomas says:

Those photos due give me the feeling of winter in the NE. Thanks for sharing, Dan.

38. Pingback: Sometimes It Rains | joeyfullystated