Thursday Doors – Downtown Windsor

Windsor Town Hall

Windsor Town Hall

When I first started participating in Thursday Doors, what? You don’t know what Thursday Doors is. OK, let’s get this out of the way quick like a bunny:

Thursday Doors is an amazing weekly blog-hop designed to placate the yearnings of people who simply must see, photograph and share photographs of doors. Our enabler-in-chief is Norm Frampton. If you want to share a door, or, if you just want to see a bunch of doors, head on over to Norm’s place. He’ll have his doors on display and then, just a little south of Norm’s doors, is a blue frog. Yes, frog. Click on that and add your door or check out the amazing collection.

OK, back to my story. When I first started participating, I was worried about running out of doors to photograph. I was concerned because I didn’t pass too many doors on the way to work. Of course, I didn’t yet understand that I would soon be seeking – out – doors – every – where – on – earth!

I started collecting doors while running errands, while traveling on business, while waiting for paint to be mixed and while…well, just about any time. I also started traveling just to get door photos. Not so much traveling, but altering my route to include a nice door.

I found doors everywhere. So many doors, that I didn’t notice the fact that, when I changed my route home from work, I had many more doors available to me. One such grouping of doors is in Windsor, Connecticut. If you’ve been here before on a Thursday, chances are good that you’ve seen a door from Windsor – there have been many. In fact, I once featured doors from Grace Episcopal Church in Windsor which sits between two buildings in today’s gallery.

Once I realized that the Town Green in Windsor is surrounded by some remarkable doors, I decided to stop one night on the way home. If you participate in Thursday Doors, you know how this story ends. I have many more photos than I should inflict upon share with you in one day. I decided to focus on the official town buildings today. Later, maybe next week, I’ll share some of the privately owned buildings that are located around the Town Green.

I’ve described the buildings in the gallery. If you want to know more about them, you can start a slide show by clicking on any one of them. If you’re in a hurry, you can just glance at the mosaic. WordPress’s term, not mine.

This entry was posted in Connecticut, Photography, Thursday Doors and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to Thursday Doors – Downtown Windsor

1. Yay! I am the first to comment on this one. Generally, I’m the 80th or 90th on the comment list, but sometimes there is this great timing. Your mornings and my evenings just fall in line. I love your Thursday Doors posts and this one has great pictures. I mean all do, but I love the library. The first thing I noticed is that the structure doesn’t seem like a conventional library. I mean when I imagine libraries I imagine huge buildings, tall ceilings, long tables and benches and so many cupboards packed with books. Not sure how this one looks from the inside, but from the outside it looks like very simple house structure. I like it.

Thanks Sharukh. the library is very pretty. The back wall is curved to follow the road, and it has a ton of windows. I have a picture somewhere of it near closing time on a winter night and it’s beautiful the way it is all lit up. I love how seamlessly they blended it with a 200-year old building.

2. I was actually worried that someone would type in and submit their comment before I do so I just pressed Post Comment impulsively. However, I always share some of my stories in your comment. Talking of this cute little public library, I once had to write a Sociology project on Prostitution. I had no idea where to get started, so I watched movies on human trafficking, prostitution and so on. I also went to brothels and strip clubs to talk to real women. Gosh! it was a scary experience because I was only in my early 20s. However, someone recommended me this library called Akshara Library, a bit far from my place. I was not familiar with the streets and the location so I asked for directions. I knew I was on the right street, but somehow there was no board or sign or the library. Finally, I saw this guy sitting on a chair right outside a shabby school building. I asked him if he knows how I can find this library and he was like – yeah! take the stairs and go to the 2nd floor. I was taken aback a bit because I heard the library was all well done and here I am entering this shabby, dusty government school building. I took the stairs and when I reached the second floor there it was. The library was so neat and tidy, I couldn’t believe I am in the same building. It was a small library comprising of 6-7 rooms that connected each other, but every book was a gem. It is a special library that has books ONLY on for topics related to women. Women biographies, women authors, women related issues and so on. For me it was a gold mine because I was doing majors on Women & Society, so for me, the search for everything finally came to an end. They had this huge copy machine where you can get photocopies of the pages you want because they don’t allow you to take books. I recommended this library to many of my friends and they loved it as well.

As usual, Dan, you present a great group of doors. You live in such a historic part of the country with wonderful buildings and the history behind the doors. I really have to make a concerted effort to find doors in my area, set aside some time, or take the long way to work in search of a few photos.

Thanks Mary. I do have a pretty easy job of finding doors. I had 27 photos from this little 10-minute walk. I thought about just posting them all, but I don’t want to do that to you guys. Of course, now I have to figure out something to say about those other doors. I might actually have to do some research :)

4. This looks like a very beautiful part of the world! And cold! lol! Lovely!

Thanks. Some of the historic town greens are really pretty. This one is OK. There are certainly nicer looking ones, but they have to wait for spring or summer. It isn’t cold today, but it was 11°f (-11°c) when I was walking around. I didn’t allow myself the usual freedom of “walk over there for a better angle” – nope I mapped out a loop and I stuck to the plan.

Nothing like curb-appeal, Dan!!

6. You may have stolen our Windsor but you’ll never take our Queen!!!!!
    Well, not unless Mr Trump puts in a reasonable offer that is.

Great doors!
    I love 323 and of course, every bit of snowy New England :)

8. The town of Windsor has some nice solid doors through which their citizens can enter. :-) Looks like winter in CT. :-)

It does. I felt I had to include the Sewing Shop for you, even though I was focusing on public buildings today. Today, it looks like a muddy spring here. It was 60 yesterday and it’s 58 and raining today.

9. tgeriatrix says:

Once you start looking for doors, you get hooked and see nice doors everywhere!

10. Windsor looks like a wonderful town, despite the snow. ;)
    I like how you caught the town hall in its festive garb. Have a thriving Thursday. Hugs.

Some typical and very pretty New England architecture. That town hall is wonderful. Nicely done Dan :-)

Thanks Norm. The Town Hall is less colonial than some, but much closer to me. It is a magnificent building. I was curious, though because I think the main entrance is in the rear, where the parking lot is, so you don’t seem to be able to enter through these doors.

12. Will never look at doors the same way again! What a cool blog.

13. Vicky says:

Lovely doors Dan and your sentiments regarding being involved in this challenge are spot on… I can’t pass a door that “could” be interesting without whipping out my phone or camera… talk about door obsession, however, when you focus on something you end up seeing so much more, it really is an eye-opener to adding in the peripherals of ever day life! Thanks for your share this week, we learn and see much via these challenges.

14. slfinnell says:

Can’t wait to share your post with my physician, Dr. Windsor who practices in Windsor, Missouri. No knowledge if he’s a relative to ‘those’ Windsors lol (you betcha I’m gonna ask now)

15. jesh stg says:

Why don’t I go over to Dan, before he has 65 comments, seemed a good idea to me today (it is a compliment:) ) Your intro about Norm always puts a smile on my face. You invariably find the good and I probably would only find you in a counseling room depressed, because someone would not like you (also a compliment). Those are my couch analyzations for the day (free!)

Back to doors: Love all the snow, which make the doors stand out even more:) The North is still an uncharted territory for me (except for one week in Minnesota, where we didn’t see anything because if was -30 F)

Minnesota is crazy cold. I don’t know how people live there. I don’t see myself getting depressed. I blogged here for well over a year without much traffic and few likes but I kept at it. As long as I like what I’m doing, I think I’ll be happy. Thanks for the session, Doc :)

16. jan says:

My house is still decorated for the holidays! Unfortunately I have run out of doors.

17. Lovely snowy photos, Dan. We had our first proper snowfall today here. It’s still on the roofs and cars but not much on the ground this evening. We’ll see if it lasts through the night. Three days of snow here in Ireland and there’s an emergency situation, lol! We’re just not used to it.

18. John Holton says:

Interesting how the mind works: if you tell yourself “I’m going to find interesting doors,” chances are you’ll find them, because subconsciously your mind sets itself to focus on doors. These are good!

I could relate to your story about catching the contagious door-bug. I’m constantly ACTIVELY looking for them!

20. Wow. The library looks great for a new building. Downtown Windsor looks really quaint. Nice job, Dan

They did a nice job on the library. In the second part, I will show a couple of things they are still struggling with. They was working to figure out how to make the center more pedestrian friendly. Right now, it’s a 4-lane road that gets very busy during rush hour. They are considering choking it down to 2 lanes.

Even though I don’t post them, you all have me looking at doors whenever we are out and about. That Chamber of Commerce door is pretty. I like that design over the top of it and cannot for the life me think what it is called…..besides very pretty!

22. I agree that Thursday Doors is completely addictive. I have to admit I like any door that leads to the inside of a library, no matter how the door looks. :-) But these are great.

23. Thanks for the tour! I like the Town Hall and the library a lot. It sure looks pretty in the winter with all that snow. Nice little detour this week. Looking forward to the private home tour of doors too.

24. Changing one’s driving route can be fun, but doing it to find new doors, well that’s just great writing, Photographer. Commerce building is beautiful and the sewing house is an interest.

Thanks Audrey. Going a little bit out of your way, or stopping for a few minutes is a good way to realize that there’s more to life. If that’s what writing and photography do for us, then I think it’s a good thing.

I enjoy the history and little gems you throw in your doors posts, Dan. The festive greens and decorations are always nice to keep up for awhile, like celebrating winter. I think doors say a lot about the people behind the doors. Hope you have a great weekend ahead!

26. I love this series, Dan. Doors always make great writing prompts, and I’m often tempted to use some of your shots to write stories.

27. dconnollyislandgmailcom says:

I grew up in Windsor (Ontario. Canada). Although the two Windsors are not similar at all, your post did give me pangs of homesickness. I especially love the photo of the library!

28. I laughed when you mentioned being afraid you’d run out of doors. So funny.

As always, a grand collection. Your town even makes snow look appealing. 😉

Haha! You’re so funny. I always say night makes places look appealing too.

31. Pingback: Thursday Doors – Windsor Green Part II | No Facilities