WordPress is Messing with Me

Yeah, this used to be here.

Yeah, this used to be here.

I’ve been using WordPress for well over 5 years. For the most part, I really like it. I had been using Blogger before coming here, and the experience in this community has been better than I thought a blogging experience could be. Of course, you’re the reason for that. WordPress is a good place to blog because the WordPress community is so amazing. The community is diverse, supportive, creative and intelligent.

Go ahead – nod and give yourself a pat on the shoulder – you deserve it.

One other thing that has been consistent about my blogging experience is that you never know what the folks at WordPress are going to do next. Most of the things that went off the rails in 2016, have been put back or ameliorated by follow-up changes. I wasn’t directly affected by all of these, but here’s a short list of the things I remember.

The Reader stopped showing me the blogs of the people I follow.

The Reader iPad app would crash if I tried to read the full post of a blog post shown in my timeline.

The Reader wasn’t showing bloggers whom I follow, the comments I left on their blog, via the Reader.

I stopped using the Reader. I stopped entirely. I no longer trust it. I started following more bloggers via email, but that isn’t a great solution. Some people are very prolific, and my Inbox swells under the strain. And, there is a totally different feeling when I delete an unread email than when I skip over a post in the Reader. Not every problem was related to the Reader.

Pingbacks stopped working. Then they started working again. Then they stopped working, unless you were making the reference from a free WordPress site.

I worked with the tech-support team on the first pingback thing. I came away from that experience thinking what I often think about tech-support people: they genuinely want to help, but they often can’t reach the people or influence the process that needs to change.

I was identified as a spammer on several sites.

Several of my readers were identified as spammers on my site.

I stopped receiving email notifications for a number of bloggers whom I follow.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I started visiting my spam queue, often to release the people unfairly imprisoned there. I replied to people who commented on my blog, wondering where I was, to “check your spam” and set me free. Finally, I unfollowed several bloggers, and then refollowed them to reconnect via email.

Get this out of the spam bucket.

Get this out of the spam bucket.

My latest problem with WordPress is one that affects the iPhone app. I’m not sure that the effect is limited to that app, but that’s where I see this error and it – is – extremely – frustrating!

When I check notifications, I see items that are either white/very light blue or a slightly darker light blue. The darker colored items are the items I haven’t dealt with. Or, they used to be. Now, I am experiencing the following problems:

Comments and likes that I’ve acknowledged in my browser still show up as unread in the app.

Items that I read and ‘Like’ turn white, indicating that I’ve read them and then turn back to blue because, apparently, since I liked it, it’s now unread. The comment was read, but not the liked version of the comment.

If I reply to a comment in the app, it shows the little curved arrow, but then marks the comment as unread.

To clear these items, I have to open them again, do nothing, and return to the list. However, every now and then, for no apparent reason, 15-25 comments will randomly show as being unread and, if I have previously liked or commented, there won’t be any indication. This means that I have to rely on my memory to avoid making a second comment/reply. Leaving something to my memory is never a good idea.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I have contacted WordPress about this latest problem, but I have not heard back from them yet. If I do hear back from them, I’ll also complain about the fact that they dropped the little Stats graph from the browser tool bar. I used to like how that gave me some quick feedback on how a post was performing. It’s not like it matters, I don’t make money from the site, but it was like a virtual high-five.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Rant, Technology and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

133 Responses to WordPress is Messing with Me

I use a desktop computer and I find when WP improves the program for smart phone and tablet users – something goes on the fritz for me. So I guess the prize will eventually go to the tech genius who can make all glitches for all go away!! [hey before you know it, we’ll be marching with placards reading, “PC blogs matter” and “App Lives Matter” – ya think?] :)

2. I also rescue comments from spam regularly, without any rule. The rest works as it should, more or less (but I only manage my blog on my laptop). As for the stats, I’m grateful to WordPress for hiding that graph a bit. It was where my eyes went first, and I didn’t like that about me. What I’d really like is to be able to see who shares my posts on FaceBook. I only see a number of shares now. By some fluke a post of mine has almost 200 shares and there is no way, either here or on FB, to locate them.

3. Dan you’ve got me wondering how many spam folders might have held me prisoner… (I know yours did not.) Last year my views and comments took a very big drop — and everyone was having so much trouble with their “follows” getting dropped mysteriously. I assumed it was mostly because I stopped giving away serial stories. But the level of time and effort for those is just too much.
    Have a better year with WordPress. We’ve all got our fingers crossed. Hugs.

Hi Teagan. I spent a lot of time, chasing down comments and blogs that WP stopped following on my behalf. It’s hard when you have a lot of connections and you don’t see comments or blog entries from someone. The natural assumption is that they’ve gone silent, cuz that happens. Fingers crossed, indeed.

4. My WordPress Android app reacts a bit differently. Sometimes I can read the post, but I don’t find the place to type in the comment. Sometimes, I see no updates, but when I scroll down, all the new posts drop in. However, all this doesn’t bother me much because most of the time I am accessing WordPress via my laptop, except for late night hours when I am reading your post.

I appreciate that late night reading! I know the apps can be tricky things to manage, but they need to tst these things better when they make changes. You get some minor improvement but they break fundamental features at the ame time.

• I was a part of the team who used to do some testing for FranklinCovey planning software (PlanPlus) and I remember how much we used to test it, but then in the real world scenario there were still issues with it. Have you ever used FranklinCovey’s planners & software?

I have not, but testing those real world scenarios is a daunting task. There are an almost infinite amount of possible ways to configure stuff, not to mention varieties and age of cell phones. I know it’s hard, but I still expect them to address the bugs when they’ve been reported.

I’ve never used Reader so haven’t experienced the frustration others have over it. I hear what you’re saying about the email inbox though … even more frustrating is that I can’t sort my mailbox by author which would allow me to find ‘missing’ posts, like what happened with one of your’s recently. That’s not a WP problem though.

I am curious about one comment you made. You implied that at least one of the problems doesn’t occur on free sites. As I am soon to convert over to a paid site, this worries me. It’s counter intuitive to me that their problems would be on the paid sites. Surely they would want to take care of their paying customers?!!!

Thanks Joanne. I’m not sure where the line between paid and free is for pingbacks. I am on a premium plan, but I am not hosting my own site, and pingbacks work for me. We self-host a WordPress website at work, an I know that many features don’t work the same way, but we aren’t blogging from that account.

• loisajay says:

This scares me a bit, too. I am about out of room for photos so will be going from free to premium soon enough. And like, Joanne, I use email not Reader, so will be curious to see how this works.

If you upgrade to a premium plan, I think you will be OK. That’s what I did, and pingbacks still work. They are critically important for those of us who participate in prompts and challenges.

I am going to try the Reader again, but I’m not dropping the email feed for anyone I really want to follow. I’m not losing you guys again.

• Joanne Sisco says:

I wasn’t thinking about hosting my own site. I was thinking more about what happens when I max out my free space … which is getting closer.

• Hi Joanne. I have two blogging friends who switched to .org, then quickly switched back after multiple frustrations and unintended consequences. I’m not sure if this is what you mean by “paid” sites, but there could be issues that you didn’t expect.

• Joanne Sisco says:

I plan to stay with WP. I like it here.
        The issue is that at some point in the foreseeable future, I’m going to max out my space on this free site.
        I think I have 2 choices – not counting to stop blogging.
        I can either ‘close’ my site and begin a new free one … essentially starting all over again … or I can pay to have more space. I think I’d prefer to pay to have more space on my existing site.

• Good to know. I have no clue how close I am to maxing out… does WP start sending nasty grams like Apple does about my dwindling cloud storage?

• Joanne Sisco says:

If you go into your Media Library (under WP Admin) where all your uploaded images are, it shows you at the top of the page.
            It also shows your current status at the bottom of the page on the left hand side when you upload something new. I think it’s relatively new because I started noticing it only a few months ago.

6. Ritu says:

It’s all so frustrating!!!

7. Victo Dolore says:

The app is killing me right now. It makes it very hard to blog some days.

8. Jennie says:

I get the same problem with blue (unread) and gray (read) on both my computer and iPhone. Have you noticed that when you click on it a second time, the photo image blinks twice. Then it seems to be gray for good. I have to go through this on both my computer and iPhone. I will contact support as well. PLEASE let us know what they tell you!

9. I love the WordPress Community, but every now and then they update something that I thought worked just fine. I wonder if any of them write and maintain a blog? Maybe they are all computer geniuses and just keep tweaking for the sake of reporting what they did. I do the vast majority of my interaction on a laptop except when traveling out of the country. I just checked my spam folder to make sure no friends were being held captive. :-)

I also do most of my writing on my laptop, even when traveling. I have often wondered the same thing. Of course, I often wonder if the programmers who wrote Excel, ever used a spreadsheet, or if anyone at TurboTax (Intuit) does their on taxes.

I was really surprised to find John Howell in my spam folder!

10. Ester says:

I also have problems with my Iphone App

11. Don says:

Thanks Dan. I’ve had some of the same issues you describe. I also feel that there are times when they change things which really don’t need changing. I find it rather annoying.

12. John Hric says:

Dan, We grew up watching Roadrunner. What we did not realize is no one is the roadrunner. We are all Wile E Coyote. So assume the horizontal flat squishy pose and repeat after me… technology is my friend. try not to say or spell it fiend. repeat 10 or 20 times and call Acme for the new and latest edition. it is even fiendlier. And yes WP can be a daily adventure. However look on the bright side. If we were having a beer. I hate drinking without a reason. WP gives us something to complain about. ( and theoretically fix ) So WP improves the quality of our drinking time… Now where is Cheryl ?

13. LindaGHill says:

You can still see your little graph with the views – click the “My Sites” button at the top left-hand corner of the screen. It’s right there beside “Stats.”

Dan, I feel your pain, especially with the comments/follows/likes on my android not appearing as read after I’ve read them. Thankfully, I’m keeping track, but it’s annoying to my obssessive/compulsive side. I realize every website like this wants to make improvements and not become stagnant, but I often wonder if WordPress makes changes simply out of boredom or because they want to mess with us. Every time something changes here, I cringe a little.

I have followed many people via email, but am experiencing the same problem with my inbox being too full. What usually happens is that I don’t go to email for two or three days and end up with 300-500 emails. I end up deleting most of them after sifting through and trying to catch my favorite bloggers. I don’t know what the answer is to this because I don’t always have time to read that many emails or go to the Reader and scroll through for hours on end. I guess it comes down to the fact that I try to keep up with about a dozen or so bloggers and participate in at least one blogging challenge each week to keep connected to the community.

“Every time something changes here, I cringe a little.” That tells me, they’re doing something wrong. I feel bad when I have to delete a pile of emails, but there’s only so much tie. The Reader was a convenient way to skim the actual posts and decide which ones looked interesting, but they seem to have started picking and choosing what they think I might want to see. It’s like Facebook. I know what I want to see, the people I follow! How hard is that?

Ugh, WordPress is forever messing around with itself. And like Pinterest, the results are rarely any good. I still use the classic editor instead of the minimalist newer one (hate it so much), and am at least grateful it’s an option to choose between them. But it’s nice to see someone mention that missing Stats graph in the toolbar! I never use the Reader, and though I rarely check my stats either, I DO check them, and it was the ONE button I wanted in the toolbar. It makes no sense to me how so many website are making navigation so hard. I mean, the toolbar runs the full width of the screen and has only 5 buttons on it. That’s what? Only 1/7th of the bar being used? If you’re going to have a toolbar, at least fill it up with tools so I can click once instead of 4 or 5 times to get where I’m going!

16. I hardly ever use the Reader, or my iPhone app for WP. I make too many typos using my full sized keyboard as it is, using my little bitty cell phone keyboard I’d spend all my time correcting typos rather than enjoying the post and images so I don’t use it for WP comments, or replies.

I’m thinking about going to a Premium account so I don’t run out of space. I hope doing so doesn’t open up a bunch of problems. That won’t make me a happy user!

I am on a premium plan, and, at least pingbacks still work for me. I remember a time where, for about two months, thre was no spell-checking happening in the iPhone app. You can find those illiterate comments by me, all over the Internet. I thought I was spelling better, until I edited a comment on my laptop.

I use the reader for my morning reading – and yes, I have noticed that some of my friends have dropped off the list. I thought they were taking a break. Hey, you all, sorry if I haven’t visited for a while. It’s not my fault. [but then my wife says nothing ever is]

Dan, I took your advice and upgraded to a mobile friendly theme. It worked great for a few weeks then POOF, suddenly I had html stew. I found that I had to mark several “mobile settings” in the Appearances section.

I’m going to go with “it’s not my fault” Feel free t consult your wife for a second opinion :)

Also, I didn’t say that WordPress won’t forget those settings every now and then. I look at my blog at least once a week from my phone.

18. John says:

I’m not seeing these issues, sorry you are. WordPress needs to fix the Admin area by getting rid of the funky blue side of it. I despise it and have never used since we still have access to the older, much better panels. It’s amazing to me that what I see as the top blog platform on the net has such a stupid Admin area. I never use the reader, I use email instead.

Successful in spite of themselves, I guess. I use the old Admin panel, but some things are hard/harder to do from there. Of course, some things seem impossible to do from the new one. I want to try the Reader again, hoping to reduce the volume of email, but I don’t have a god feeling about it. Thanks for the comment.

19. I am so glad you posted this today, Dan, because I thought I was going crazy with the notifications thing and that it was something I had done to cause that annoying glitch – because I always assume the fault is mine when it comes to technology. That glitch is super annoying as it becomes hard to stay on top of what I have replied to and what I have not responded too and I then fret about having perhaps failed to reply to someone, which I would consider very rude of me. It’s just bloody annoying.

I have also experienced the problem of blogs I follow not turning up in the Reader. This is frustrating as I do like to keep up with reading blogs using my phone because I read on the go, in idle moments, rather than when sitting down at a computer. A few I recovered just be unfollowing and then following again but there are at least a couple where that did not work and the blog does not offer an option to follow via email. I, therefore, have to remember to explicitly visit that blog.

Please do let me know if WP provides a solution to the notifications thing because that is driving me bat poop crazy right now.

20. I guess I’m old school. I only post from my desktop (after writing it in Word, then cutting and pasting), I use the classic editor because the new one isn’t very intuitive, and I follow blogs via email (and, yes, my inbox is insane). After reading what a few people have said about having a premium plan (not self-hosted), I guess I should look into that. I’m off to see if any friends are being held in the WP penitentiary and need to be broken out.

I am old school regarding writing and posting, but I do read comments and responses to comments as well as a lot of blogs, on my phone. Mainly because I find periods of time when I can. Free the non-spammers :)

21. Ah I feel a little better, reading your post. Because I’m so illiterate in most high tech (and not so high tech) I thought I had accidently changed something. I have experienced your isssues with Reader which I loved when I travel (quite often). In the car I could check the blogs I like in a very easy way. I’ve actually stopped reading some, due to the WordPress change. Like you my Inbox is filled to the brim after a day or two away from it. At least, I have a WordPress Inbox, so I can keep track. Still. I’ve been (mostly) spared by spammers and other trolls. After my blog was listed on Discover late December I received more. But that’s the temporary consequence of a little more visibility. It’s like the people who show up at your gym early January and that you don’t see again within a few weeks :)
    I still check my Dashboard once in a while for strange comments. Speaking of which I don’t have the problem you mention. Actually I use my iPhone quite often to reply to comments on my blog. I just need to be more careful. The keyboard being small allows for more typos :)
    I still like WordPress better than Blogger that I also used when I started to blog many years ago now. WordPress community is vibrant and represents quite accutely our current world (I think).
    Good luck with the issues, Dan, and see you soon on…WordPress.

I still like it here, way better than Blogger. I think the support folks will figure this out. I pointed them to this post, and all the comments, as evidence that it isn’t just me. I really want the Reader to be good again, I liked being able to follow people there, and my inbox is getting to be a giant mess. I lost track of one person for several months. We reconnected and now we both follow via email.

22. Sadly they just can’t seem to get their act together about anything!!! And yet they keep changing things that don’t need to be changed. I think the biggest part of the problem is that bits and pieces of it are scattered all around the world instead of one central place. I could be wrong, but it seems that way to me. I’ve been exasperated enough to call it quits with them too but then I would hate losing followers that I’ve had forever who might not want to go elsewhere to find me. It’s just so annoying and shouldn’t have to be that way.: ( :( :(

I’ve noticed the new glitch. The other day, I thought I had a pile of new comments, and I was like, “Whoa, what’s happening?” but it’s just a glitch. :/
    I’m a PC person 99.9% of the time.
    I left the Reader a LONG time ago. I use email, but then there are some people I don’t read promptly because they don’t have email. Like Robin, and Maggie, Prior and Van… Ugh.
    I haven’t checked my spam in a while. I should go do that.
    I also scroll to the end of my own blogs, to find the comments that never appeared in my notifications. It’s the only way to not miss them. Heaven knows how many replies I miss elsewhere.

24. I don’t have these issues but I don’t use the phone app either. I guess the only issue I have is showing up in your spam folder. I hope that doesn’t happen too often. Good post Dan.

25. I guess I’m glad that I missed out on the 2016 glitch-o-rama.
    I use the reader and email subscriptions to stay in touch with my favourites but I have a sneaking suspicion that some posts are falling through the cracks. I can’t say that I’ve noticed the read/not read glitch.

Hope you get an answer.

26. I use my phone a lot with WordPress and it’s a love hate relationship. I do prefer to have the blogs I follow sent to my email so that I don’t miss them, but it is a feat to get through them all. Nothings perfect and there are better moments with WP than not, so I’ve stayed. I get it though, Dan

I stay too, Audrey, and I think they eventually work through these things. I wish they were more careful about dropping features while they “improve” things, but I wouldn’t give up access to this community for anything.

27. acflory says:

As another long time user of WordPress, I haven’t liked many/most of the changes brought it while they try to create one interface for all devices.

I understand what they’re trying to do but I think it’s doomed to fail. If they do succeed in creating a mobile interface that works – the one time I tried to use it on my phone it crashed – it is likely to send serious blogger insane because everything will have been dumbed down so much.

The ideal solution is a kind of ‘horses for courses’ set up. Mobile devices get a ‘lite’ version while computers get a ‘burger with the lot’.

Of course this would be more expensive as they would have to maintain two almost completely separate interfaces, but if you don’t please your users, what’s the point of having even one?

Dan, my problems are not necessarily WordPress’ business, but sometimes it is partially them, partially the bloggers’ choice. . .
    I am often at a loss why someone I have commented on their blog, follow them and then comment more on their blog (for 6-8 months) it seems they aren’t following me so my comment says “awaiting approval.” Then, in a couple days I comment again and both comments appear. I will delete or correct comments if someone asks me to fix it. I understand and don’t want someone to feel like their comment was meant to be repeated or flawed. If it’s a small part, if they don’t mention to correct it, I will leave it be. The same courtesy is not returned when I ask, please delete whichever one of my two comments.
    The reader definitely does not relate directly with who I follow. It adds ones I view and deletes ones I have followed. *Sigh*

I can relate to these issues as well, Robin. By the way, I “corrected” your email, so it would be harder for spammers to snag. If I see a new face has “Liked” something, I always try to check out their blog. If someone leaves a comment, I try to reply, and I check out their blog. I can’t follow everyone who follows me, and I can’t read everything everybody writes, but I try to visit as est as I can. If I regularly read your stuff (like yours) and I miss one, it’s probably because I was busy and ran out of time. I understand that that happens to my readers as well.

I do try to edit comments whenever people ask. If you have a blog, you have to pay attention to it.

• reocochran says:

Thank you so much for fixing my email. :)
        We did go through this silly unfollow/follow thingy about 2 (?) years ago. Looking back, I was relying heavily on my Reader as I had library computer and not cell phone. I am still so glad we reconnected, Dan! No worries about every post to read, I agree; especially during vacation, holidays or breaks! :)

29. Been there, had those things happen. That last bit has been happening to me, too, on my iPhone. Frustrating, for sure! I don’t like the latest “innovation” that silently showed up one day, part of the “no stat” thing. I can no longer hover over “My Sites” and have things like “Comments” show up. Now I have to click on it, then go to the bottom to the admin line and click on that, which then brings up what I wanted in the first place. Wonder why on earth they changed it? Never a dull moment, that’s for sure.

Oh, you nailed my other pet peeve, Janet, the hover thing. I wasn’t sure if that was WordPress, or my browser, but I’m glad to see confirmation. These are little things, but they become part of our pattern, and then they’re gone :(

Maybe there was a secret poll, and we didn’t get to vote.

30. Great post. I face the same problems with the WordPress iPhone app. Today, I found that the app is taking 1.3G of my iPhone. I had to delete the app and reinstall to bring the size back to less than 100MB.

Thanks! I’ve had to delete the app several times from my iPad. Once, it would run for about 8 seconds and crash, no matter what I did or even if I did nothing. I can almost understand why that becomes necessary, and, at least WP seems to not store your infor on the phone. I was worried that if I reinstalled, I’d have to re-enter all the blogs, and stuff. That all seems to be stored with your account. I mention that because I just got a new laptop at work, and I’m still teaching Outlook how I like my email :(

• Yes, WP is not supposed to store data on the device like Outlook. Still, the size of WP data on my iPhone grows drastically over time. :( After reinstallation of WP in my iPhone, everything looks the same except that the app is lesser space. I do not think there is any way to limit the cache size of the WP app. The app has crashed once or twice but not that frequently for me.

The problem of the WP app showing yellow, blue, read/unread messages somewhat randomly and differing from the WP website is still there to some extent. :(

31. To get around all those emails in your inbox, have you thought about having them delivered once a day? That way you get just the one email with links to all the posts a blogger may have published the day before.

I use a desktop for blogging. I know WordPress go on at us at how we should all be using their fantastic mobile apps for tablets and phones, but they always seem to cause me too many problems. I’m not saying that I don’t get problems using WordPress on my desktop, but answering comments is far easier for me when answering them from the dashboard of my blog (on my desktop) rather than from the notification centre. I’ve no idea how anyone can write a blog post using their phone. My fingers seem to hit more than one key when using a tablet or phone. No thank you WordPress, I’ll stick to using my desktop.

I have thought about getting the emails once a day, but I tend not to read more than one post from a blogger in the same day. I follow too many people as it is, it seems a little unfair to focus too much time on any one person. I know, or at least I think you can manage email differently for different people, but that seems like a lot of work too. I like the randomness with which posts appear in my inbox. I can only check things at certain times (working) but sometimes, if I’m taking a break, and I see a new post from someone who is fun to read, I’ll check it out and have it lift my spirits.

I agree about writing, I could not do that from a phone. I do comments, when that’s the est device I have access to, but I make a bunch of typos. I wrote one post on my iPad, but I have a Bluetooth keyboard for that.

Thanks for this comment, Hugh, and for your periodic “how to…in WordPress” posts. they are often very helpful.

• I can understand that, Dan. I never attempt to read every single blog post that comes into my email box. If I did, I’d never sleep or do anything else in my life. In fact, you’d never see any new blog posts from me. I see too many people get stressed out by it, but it’s something we should never feel guilty about.

I’ve never trusted the WP Reader, either. Too many times I noticed not all the posts of the blogs I follow would show up on there. In fact, I even noticed a few times when my own posts never ended up on there. Now WordPress (in one of their changes) also add blog posts of those blogs we don’t follow just in case we’d like to read the post and follow them. Doesn’t that mean even more reading?

You’re welcome about the ‘how to’ posts. I’ve learned a lot since coming to WordPress almost 3 years ago. I like to share that information in the hope it will help at least a few people.

Last year there was a short stretch when I was having comment, notification, and spam problems with WP. It seemed everyone was back then. Since that time, I haven’t seen the problems. Has my head been in the sand? I have detected a large drop in readers over the last four months. True, there was the holiday season, but there are two other months there that don’t have this excuse. Yet while this is going on, I’m getting notified of new followers. I can only assume they want me to follow them and that’s their only motivation for subscribing to my blog. They don’t have any intention of reading one word I write.

33. You touched a nerve here. As I am up early and rushing, I had to scroll rather than read comments and it was a long scroll for so early in the morning.
    “The Reader stopped showing me the blogs of the people I follow”
    DON’T GET ME STARTED. Reader and following blogs through WP has never worked right since and it annoys the crap outta me that they don’t just go back. I also follow blogs via email but frankly that isn’t working well either. Perhaps I have to unfollow and then try following with email. I get some folks blog posts through FB — like yours.
    Phones. I hate the new editor and they think it is better but they lie. It is only better for phones. And I hate that our whole computer interaction world is now run by phone users. In business it is a nightmare, as people on phones have even shorter attention spans and seem to think they don’t have to answer the emails with the attachments that were sent. I use the old editor with the various stats and like it better, but they’ve caused me to click three time to link the way I want to and their answer is that i shouldn’t do it that way. DON’T TELL ME WHAT WORKS FOR ME.
    One word. ARGH.

Sorry for tweaking that nerve, Kate. I don’t like the the efforts of social media platforms to show me what they think I should see (i.e. what makes money for them). I use my phone a lot, and I develop apps for phones as well as desktop applications. I think the platforms are still too far apart to strive for a unified approach. I am also know that the markets are driven by money and the opportunity to make money. Unfortunately, everyone is fighting for the same bucket of money (ad revenue). WordPress has multiple income streams, but they are still looking to contain costs.

Dan, I feel your pain. I’ve been having problems too and I as well have thought of quitting. These hassles are so frustrating. I’m getting spam in my comments and I’m finding friends in my spam. The notifications on my iPad has changed which took me forever to figure out and in the meantime I pulled my hair out. I liked the old format darn it! Countless times I’ve had to delete WP app on my phone because when I go to view all likes for a post not all show. This is the only way I know of to get to everyone’s blog who likes my post. Sometimes this problem corrects itself when I hit the link for that post which will bring the correct likes into view. Not always though which then leaves me to delete and reinstall. I don’t deal with support anymore. I don’t get anywhere. And all my comments were not showing in my notifications so I had to double check directly on blog. Speaking of blog … most peeps are directed to a generic white page and so my beautiful blog colors are not even seen. *sigh* I hear you.

I keep hoping that these problems are growing pains or a phase they’re going through. I am trying to work with support. I know that they have read this blog and were looking at some of the comments, but I haven’t heard back from them yet. I do think they are sincere in their desire to fix the problems. I’m not sure what the broader goals are relative to desktop vs. mobile, but I hope they come to understand that we (users) turn to those platforms for different reasons.

One other thing that really bothers me. I paid for a premium theme and worked really hard with color coordination. Today most followers are brought to that generic white page I mentioned negating all my efforts to make my images look their best on a colored background. And the ambiance as well I’ve created for the viewer gone as well. I just recently changed the color scheme on my blog and not one person mentioned it. Not fair!!

36. I can so relate. I love WP but they are frequently crazy-making.

37. dannie1955 says:

I have not had as many problems as you, but I do not think much thought went into the app. Figuring out how you get from one section to another is through experimentation not logic. I get to the forums by Googling. I would not be surprised if the programmer was as high as a kite or had a serious mental problem at the time.

38. dvaal says:

I haven’t experienced this -and hope I don’t.
    fiddledeedeebooks.wordpress.com

39. Mél@nie says:

@”I started visiting my spam queue, often to release the people unfairly imprisoned there.” – same here, Dan… almost every day! :) Otherwise, frankly speakin’, I’ve been happy with WP for about 4 years… in fact, their policy must be: take or leave it, but if you leave it, it’s gonna be YOUR loss, not ours!!! :D
    * * *
    @”Sadly, links require moderation.” – 1 link is fine, but 2 will land @ spam… :)

Thanks Melonie. I do think WordPress is generally a very good place to be. I am much happier since moving here, but some things just make me shake my head. I used to allow one link and moderate for 2 or more. Then I found that spam links were getting through and links from regular readers were getting spammed – at least this way, I get to see all of them. It’s working for now.

I feel your pain. One reason I am posting less is that, unless I sit down with my laptop, the experience ends with my husband asking if I kiss my grandchildren with the same mouth spewing profanities at the ipad or phone. ☹️

41. Ellen Hawley says:

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I’ll start checking my blog’s spam folder.